War Horse MOVIE Anticipation Thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

Bowie

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember, if you leave Sarah Jessica Parker in the woods with antlers on her head, she WILL be shot.

I learned that from South Park. :lol:

Sometimes I get the urge to put on a Sasquatch costume and run through the woods to scare people.

And then I remember that I live in western PA, where the minimum age for hunting was recently lowered to six months.

"Friendship between a boy, and a horse dull"? Have you seen "Equus"?

Latin always gives panache... it must be excellent. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Well, it's right up his alley, classic Spielberg territory. It could be beautiful - or it could be embarrassing. Seeing what Spielberg has done lately, I fear the latter is most probable, unfortunately.

Doing 3 in one year every few years must exhaust Williams health a lot.

:P

Oh yeah, moving that pencil up and down and thinking melodically must really strain the heart. Some of you guys get a little too worried about things. As long as JW doesn't have cancer or some other illness, I don't see why he can't score 10 films in a year. Just look at Morricone.

Mental exhaustion, stress, late nights, not to mention the focus and physical strength required to correct and conduct the orchestra.

The man's been on tour forever. Mental exhaustion I can understand, but he's not gonna keel over mid-conducting.

But his score and the recording for the movie Tin Tin is already accomplished...

he won't even record it till '11. If John does it. I won't assume he does or if he's even alive then.

He'll be writing the music before the year's over. That's exciting enough for me... seems like a melodic score to me.

.. but it could be another 'Always'.

Seems that the full cast has been announced...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=28148

I don't know any of these guys, to be honest :)

Edit: It starts filming in August, it seems... So Johnny would start scoring it in the early 2011, apparently.

Well Emily Watson was in Red Dragon and Equilibrium, and David Thewlis is Lupin in the Harry Potter movies, but yea I didn't recognize any other names

Emily Watson did above all Lars Von Trier's Breaking the Waves, for which she received an Academy Award nomination. She was nominated again two years later for her poignant portrayal of cellist Jacqueline DuPrè in Hillary & Jackie. She also had a main role in Angela's Ashes and P.T. Anderson's Punch-Drunk Love.

Peter Mullan is also a very fine actor. He performed in Trainspotting, My Name is Joe and Children of Men. He's also a screenwriter and director (Orphans, Magdalene)

Finally! Spielberg is actually committing to a project (or, at least he's gone farther with this film than most of the other possible projects). And this will be released before Tintin! So we'll get two JW scores in 2011. Excellent. Although I hope one of these doesn't pull a Munich and prevent Williams from an Oscar...

But I'll believe this when I see a photo of him behind a camera.

Steven-Spielberg-File-5486057.jpg

I believe that photo was taken of him during the now infamous John Williams nude shoot. You can really see him eying the maestro's baton. And, just from his expression, you can tell that the guy in the background is conducting a concert of his own.

• 1 month later...

So... Spielberg starts shooting War Horse this Monday? When's Tintin coming out again? Does this mean we might be getting something from Johnny soon?

"I spent the last few years putting DreamWorks back together."

Can you imagine the Johnny score we could've had for that? Just think of all the possible variations on the DreamWorks theme!

"I spent the last few years putting DreamWorks back together."

Can you imagine the Johnny score we could've had for that? Just think of all the possible variations on the DreamWorks theme!

Yes! This film is actually going to happen! Two new Williams scores in 2011...I never thought I'd see that (unfortunately I became a serious fan in 2007, in the midst of the Williams drought).

So... Spielberg starts shooting War Horse this Monday? When's Tintin coming out again? Does this mean we might be getting something from Johnny soon?

TinTin was "shot" in 2009, and its been rendering the complex CGi ever since. It's scheduled to come out December 23, 2011; Williams completed scoring it in 2010.

War Horse is scheduled for August 10, 2011. So even though it will come out sooner, it will be Williams' most recent film score when it does. Then afterward we will get to hear a score he wrote almost two years earlier.

• 3 months later...

I actually look forward to this. It seems more in tune with classic Spielber than anything he's done in the past 18 years. At least score-wise.

Karol

Yeah, me too. I really hope a melodic, sweeping and present film score will serve the film better than a more restraint, subdued one. After three years I'm kinda in the mood for an 'epic Williams score'. :P

Very nice indeed! It's great to see a new Williams credit on his page. I wonder if this means he is starting to write the main themes soon. After all, on IMDb the movie is listed as being on post-production. And I also wonder if they'll have everything finished up for the original release date or if they are going to take advantage of the new release date.

Anyway, Williams is always at his best with a boy-animal relationship. Maybe something in the direction of Empire of the Sun? We'll probably know soon...

• 1 month later...

Spielberg has been shooting War Horse for quite a while now, I remember seeing location pictures maybe 2 months ago or more. Considering how fast Spielberg normally shoots his stuff, it's not surprising at all to see the filming wrapped up

Official plot synopsis revealed:

From director Steven Spielberg comes “War Horse,” an epic adventure for audiences of all ages. Set against a sweeping canvas of rural England and Europe during the First World War, “War Horse” begins with the remarkable friendship between a horse named Joey and a young man called Albert, who tames and trains him. When they are forcefully parted, the film follows the extraordinary journey of the horse as he moves through the war, changing and inspiring the lives of all those he meets—British cavalry, German soldiers, and a French farmer and his granddaughter—before the story reaches its emotional climax in the heart of No Man’s Land.

The First World War is experienced through the journey of this horse—an odyssey of joy and sorrow, passionate friendship and high adventure. “War Horse” is one of the great stories of friendship and war—a successful book, it was turned into a hugely successful international theatrical hit that is arriving on Broadway next year. It now comes to screen in an epic adaptation by one of the great directors in film history.

http://www.collider.com/2010/12/14/war-horse-movie-synopsis/#more-65001

I hope it's two people in a horse costume. Actually, if they cast Sarah Jessica Parker as the horse's face, they won't need a costume. Then they'd just need to find a horse's ass in Hollywood. That won't take long.

I hope it's two people in a horse costume. Actually, if they cast Sarah Jessica Parker as the horse's face, they won't need a costume. Then they'd just need to find a horse's ass in Hollywood. That won't take long.

061.jpg?w=450&h=350

From director Steven Spielberg comes “War Horse,” an epic adventure for audiences of all ages. Set against a sweeping canvas of rural England and Europe during the First World War, “War Horse” begins with the remarkable friendship between a horse named Joey and a young man called Albert, who tames and trains him. When they are forcefully parted, the film follows the extraordinary journey of the horse as he moves through the war, changing and inspiring the lives of all those he meets—British cavalry, German soldiers, and a French farmer and his granddaughter—before the story reaches its emotional climax in the heart of No Man’s Land.

The First World War is experienced through the journey of this horse—an odyssey of joy and sorrow, passionate friendship and high adventure. “War Horse” is one of the great stories of friendship and war—a successful book, it was turned into a hugely successful international theatrical hit that is arriving on Broadway next year. It now comes to screen in an epic adaptation by one of the great directors in film history.

I was wrong .Sounds like a possible JW classic

• 1 month later...

Looks like Williams is ready to record War Horse very soon! I've befriended LA session cellist extraordinarie Stephen Erdody on Facebook--he played first cello in many Williams scores recorded in LA and I've asked him if he would play in Tintin and War Horse as well. Here's what he replied:

Yes, I am playing in Tin-Tin and War Horse. We record War Horse next month, and have a few pick-up dates for Tin-Tin in July. We recorded most of the score for Tin-Tin early last year.