War Horse MOVIE Anticipation Thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

Bowie

The most depressing movie of Spielberg's career. Sorry; doesn't count.

I think I enjoy the movie more then the score though....

The score is not great, but at least Williams tried to give KOCS some dignity by taking the franchise serious. Lucas and Spielberg seemed only interested in making some kind of weird, banal spoof of Indiana Jones. That f*ckin refrigirator scene... Those dumb ass monkeys... At least all that crap is not in Williams work.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think JW made absolutely brilliant music for the aliens/skull, Spalko and the soldiers, but most of the other music dooesn't really do it for me. I don't like Mutt's music, some filler, the reused ideas and themes, etc.

Maybe if the lost city actually had relevance in the story we could have had more different music, an "Akator" or "Adventure" theme to add to the list, and the score would feel more complete.

What? You don't call "Everybody Runs!"/"Anderton's Great Escape" exciting?! It's the best damn music he's written this century.

I don't know. I personally don't like that cue very much. It doesn't go well with the scene also, in my opinion. I think he has done some better action scoring this century than that. "Escape from the City", "The Jungle Chase", "Quidditch, Third Year", "Letter Bombs", "The Arena", "I Am the Senate"... Those are pieces that for me are exciting.

I didn't feel much with this score. It felt tidy, sufficient.

Again, like with the prequels, if I wanna listen to Indiana Jones music, I don't go for this score.

I agree.

I'm just fearing it will be his usual subdued, low key music like SPR.

Which, by the way, is an absolute masterpiece.

Hear, hear. :up:

An exciting piece doesn't belong in Minority Report.

At least that's what I think.

What? You don't call "Everybody Runs!"/"Anderton's Great Escape" exciting?! It's the best damn music he's written this century.

LOL at the absurdity of your final comments. Nothing in Minority Report and the word best should be used together. IMHO

you know War Horse doesn't have to be best, satisfying would be perfectly acceptable.

I'm wondering... is this going to be Empire of the Sun Spielberg? Or Always/The Terminal Spielberg?

Looks like corny or The Terminal softy Spielberg.

This is totally going to be like Empire of the Sun (a film I never saw in its entirety, now that I think about it).

By the way, in a Spanish film blog Jeremy Irvine (the kid) is quoted saying there were actual explosions and flying corpses around him on set, and that it was scary to him, and he felt they actually did that to scare the cast.

This is totally going to be like Empire of the Sun (a film I never saw in its entirety, now that I think about it).

?

Only at JWfan.

:lol:

A few years ago we saw half of it in class, we never got to end it, and I never ended it on my own. It's there on my huge list of films to see.

?

Only at JWfan.

Yeah, where people state Dancer In The Dark is their favorite musical-film while at the same time admitting they have never seen it. Now who was that again...? ;)

Enlighten me, Roald.. This sounds like a fun titbit.

Let's see if the "author" is man enough to come clean about this. ;)

Warhorse is Williams' best score since HP3. But prepare yourself because it's a "small" score...not like Memoirs small but Angela's Ashes small with punctuations of "big" stuff along the way. A lot of very nice string writing and a celtic sound to it.

And I should also add that it's worlds better than Tin Tin, which feels like Williams on autopilot

Tis true. If anyone has questions about the score for me, you can PM me the question. I will NOT post audio because I don't have it. I will NOT post any item relating to the score. Nor will I privately send any of these things, but I am happy to answer questions the best I can.

And only under the understanding that nobody goes around to other boards and whatnot blabbing about my user name having all this info because I do not want it getting around and biting me in the butt. But I am happy to help out fellow JWFanners. Again, I will not provide anything relating to the score except simple answers.

And as a final addition, I will say that whether you believe my information or not is entirely up to you. I am not going to defend my info on these boards to anyone who doesn't believe me so it's your choices! I just remember when I first started coming to this site when other posters used to give info that they had to other members and it was always an amazing treat. I just want to repay that :-)

Warhorse is Williams' best score since HP3. But prepare yourself because it's a "small" score...not like Memoirs small but Angela's Ashes small with punctuations of "big" stuff along the way. A lot of very nice string writing and a celtic sound to it.

And I should also add that it's worlds better than Tin Tin, which feels like Williams on autopilot

Thanks for sharing the information. However, this isn't enough to make a judgement for the rest of us, I think (especially the comment about Tintin), so I think I'll keep my own expectations for myself until next December, when I'll listen to both scores with my own ears.

Let me tell you something about the history of FilmComposer518:

About one and a half years ago (September 2009) the guy posted this:

"good evening everyone. its nice to meet all of you. im currently in need of the full (written) score to sweeney todd. i need it for a film project i have been assigned in school. i would need the FULL version, not the smaller ensemble score that is floating around online. does anybody have their hands on this? if so, I have many many many items id be happy to trade for! some are so rare that i only have them because i have professors that work in the industry.... "

I'm thinking he was hoping the last part of his message (him having professors who work in the industry) would catch fire on the board. It didn't. So a year later he returns this time with a new story to tell:

"Either way, I know that you will come up with some inane argument about how what I just said is dead wrong etc. But the fact comes down to this: I'm a film composer who has spent years in the industry and tries to know it inside and out. You are not. [...] And by the way, if you knew who I was, you would not be suggesting that I played second violin - nor that I was a prostitute with no artistic merit. In fact, I'm willing to bet that you just may even own a CD of mine :-)"

Now tell me: what doesn't add up here?

This is what I wrote about his antics a couple of months ago:

"What gave FilmComposer away is the fact that he had to shove the notion that he was "a film composer" and "working in the industry" a few too many times down the throats of the "fans" around here (which he - in a clever way - painted as ignorant morons). Nothing FilmComposer posted was new information to the more literate fans around here. In fact; I love the humble attitude of Conrad Pope who once said that the general film music fan knows more about the industry than he does!

I think it's highly perceivable that established composers read forums like these and post here or at FSM from time to time. Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, James Horner. Who knows. It's possible. I've received some emails from John Ottman a few years ago. Yeah, these people are active on the internet. I just don't see them talking about working in the industry as FilmComposer does, especially the "I bet you may have a CD of me" comment. Come on."

I see no reason to alter my judgement on this matter. It just doesn't feel right. His words strike me as those of a delusional fan, a wanna-be "insider"; not a professional. FilmComposer518 is this board's SuperShadow.

You know, I don't really care if he has acually heard the scores or not because, hell, what I want is listen to them myself. But:

I'm more worried about the resurgence of the 'Williams on autopilot' argument.

Me too.

I don't know if I prefer to ask anything about it or not.

Let's see if the "author" is man enough to come clean about this. ;)

You know Ricard never posts Roald...

That certainly wasn't me.

Haha, it wasn't Ricard. It was someone who posted something on this page of the thread though.... ;)

EDIT: And... It's still in the board-archive:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8903

Also read Stefan's reaction to the comment in question :lol:

Yes, but it doesn't say much really. People said the same thing about the first Harry Potter score, which is highly regarded by many (if not most) members here.

EDIT. Besides, it hasn't been recorded yet. So how would anyone know what it sounds like?

Karol

Yes, but it doesn't say much really. People said the same thing about the first Harry Potter score, which is highly regarded by many (if not most) members here.

EDIT. Besides, it hasn't been recorded yet. So how would anyone know what it sounds like?

Karol

Tin Tin's been recorded already. Conrad Pope knows. I doubt War Horse has been recorded though.

It would have probably been best that you never mentioned having heard the scores. You've got a flood of PMs coming your way.

Remember when people said they had a piece of the The Phantom Menace score, but it turned out to be Nixon? :rolleyes:

Me too, after the autopilot score we got which was Kingdom of the Crystal Skull...

People use the "autopilot" word so often I'm not sure what it means anymore. And if it means anything, for that matter. If we made a really serious analysis of JW's works we would probably arrive at the conclusions there are maybe 2-3 really important scores in his career. Besides, being in his late 70's and having very long and fruitful career behind him I'm not so sure what a "inspired" work would even sound like, especially for things like Indiana Jones sequel.

Karol

To me autopilot signals he's gone back to his old bag of tricks, and Tintin will be a hybrid of Hook, Home Alone and Harry Potter.

Of course that doesn't always mean a bad score.

I've heard a bunch of Tin Tin and it sounds great to me. I haven't heard any of War Horse, though I'm sure the two scores couldn't be more opposite

Sure, but there are few blockbuster scores in his career where he's doing anything revolutionary, really. A.I. was the last one. Before that it was E.T.. And before that Star Wars and Jaws. That's four. The other pretty much represent the more standard approach.

Karol

Sure, but there are few blockbuster scores in his career where he's doing anything revolutionary, really. A.I. was the last one. Before that it was E.T.. And before that Star Wars and Jaws. That's four. The other pretty much represent the more standard approach.

Karol

Wouldn't call A.I. "a blockbuster score", certainly not in the same breath as E.T., Star Wars and Jaws...

I'm not concerned about a composer doing anything revolutionary. I just want them to compose good music.

Exactly. The Harry Potter score was heavily labelled as "John Williams on auto-pilot" at the time. Guess what? I love that score! :D