War Horse MOVIE Anticipation Thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

Bowie

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, more advanced screenings will be taking place in the next few days.

You can read the scoop here:

http://www.darkhoriz...from-the-stable

update: I've found a few extra details:

"The director will preview War Horse starting at 2 p.m. EST on Sunday in simultaneous screenings around the country, followed by a Q&A with journalist (and EW contributor) Mark Harris. The interview will take place live in the New York theater and be sent via satellite to the others, taking place in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas, Boston, Washington DC, Seattle, Miami, and Atlanta."

http://insidemovies....rse-screenings/

FML. I didn't see this post until now. I totally would have gone to the Boston screening yesterday if I had known!

What do you think the final Rotten Tomatoes score will be?

I think it'll end up around 78% certified with a 6.9 or 7.1 rating. The critics' main complaint will be the film's sentimentality and decent acting. Worst case scenario is it getting around 53% rotten.

As for Oscars, it'll definitely be nominated for cinematography and score with a possibility of art direction and set design. The academy might throw in a nomination for best picture but it probably won't win.

I just felt like putting that out there for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

we're planning a Christmas day trip to see War Horse. Looking forward to it even more than getting ketchup out of a glass bottle. talk about Anticipation, anticipation, it's making me wait.

I can't believe we're getting 2 highly anticipated Spielberg films within 4 days. I'm expecting War Horse to be the better one, but I cannot wait for either.

I envy you guys. War Horse will start here as late as 24.2.

Well, I think it will even be released on Blu Ray before that!

Word...

"Cheval de Guerre" opens February 22nd in France ........... :rolleyes:

Exactly. Every year Oscar contenders that open in the USA in the last week or two of December open in foreign markets around Oscar time.

It's completely and utterly annoying.

And then add to that the delays for summer releases and the delays for small releases and the ones you don't even know you're going to get at the cinema. It pisses me off to no end.

RT Consensus:

Technically superb, proudly sentimental, and unabashedly old-fashioned, War Horse is an emotional drama that tugs the heartstrings with Spielberg's customary flair.

This makes me very glad for some reason.

The scenes in No Man's Land are easily the best in the film. And the sequence scored by the second portion of the track "No Man's Land" on the OST is one of Spielberg's finest sequences, simply as a moment of pure wonderment.

The scenes in No Man's Land are easily the best in the film. And the sequence scored by the second portion of the track "No Man's Land" on the OST is one of Spielberg's finest sequences, simply as a moment of pure wonderment.

That's not what I hear from good ol' Jim Hoberman.

When a dogged critic's enjoyment of new cinema is all but spent it's time for retirement. I've never known such a sneeringly grumpy reviewer of movies as Hoberman. He revels in his ever-articulate dissections to the point of self-serving ego massaging, but it's as tired as he is of cinema. And boring, which is worst of all; the joy has long left him. He should take up golf instead of watching movies. One things certain: the world of fine cuisine should be grateful for the fact that Hoberman didn't turn his 'discerning' palette to food critique.

I'm all geared up for disappointment but hope to be surprised. That's what happened with Tintin, but I realise the chances of it happening again are slim.

Btw, my poke at Hoberman had nothing to do with what he thought of War Horse.

I find filmfreakcentral often more hilarious in their Mr. Cranky-like attitude, although to be fair, when they praise a movie, it is usually worth it.

As for WAR HORSE, i guess it will be exactly the polished but too sane Hallmark-movie you would expect from such an endeavour. It has become a trademark of later Spielberg to craft great scenes within lackluster movies, so it will be immensely watchable for it's pros and cons regardless.

That's not what I hear from good ol' Jim Hoberman.

The sequence is scary good.

I was going to see War Horse this morning at a 930am showing before going to my parents for xmas but I accidentally slept in instead! Might not get to see it till tomorrow now