War Horse MOVIE Anticipation Thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

Bowie

We've had over 40 years of Williams' music and how he approaches certain films. I expect Tintin to have a certain style and sound to it.

:nod:

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had over 40 years of Williams' music and how he approaches certain films. I expect Tintin to have a certain style and sound to it.

I'd like him approach Tintin like he does drama films - like a new challenge.

I've been in contact with FilmComposer518 for well over a month now and I'm convinced that he is who he says he is after all. Sorry for insinuating otherwise before, especially to FilmComposer.

What made you change your mind?

Not to beat a dead horse (pun unfortunately intended), since we know the score to War Horse was not yet recorded on the 15th, how had he heard it? Did he have access to the score sheets?

Not to beat a dead horse (pun unfortunately intended), since we know the score to War Horse was not yet recorded on the 15th, how had he heard it? Did he have access to the score sheets?

I cannot post any detailed information here about exactly how I know he has "heard" [part of] the scores. Initially I really thought FilmComposer was a fraud, a wannabe. But the man has shared things with me, details about the scoring and recording proces that are simply too strong and sound to be the fabrication of dellusional fan. The guy is the real deal. I must also note that other members here have seen the scores for Tintin and War Horse as well, but haven't posted that on the board. It's not that rare for someone within the industry. We all know that both scores have been recorded by now, or will be at least before the Summer. The scores are out there, and there is more than one way to 'hear' a score if you know what I mean... ;)

Yeah, you didn't hear it from me, but apparently there's a cue in both films which has a note, followed by a half note, and then THAT is followed by ANOTHER note.

Pretty big scoop!

Yeah, you didn't hear it from me, but apparently there's a cue in both films which has a note, followed by a half note, and then THAT is followed by ANOTHER note.

Pretty big scoop!

;) Yeah, that's the kind of information that won me over...

Now this is the kind of internet source criticism I like. Tough.

:lol:

But all fun aside, I'm serious about FilmComposer though: I don't doubt the man anymore. He's the real thing, as others pointed out long before me. And about the "auto-pilot" thing: since he made that statement he's heard/seen more of the score and has become quite found of it.

But all fun aside, I'm serious about FilmComposer though: I don't doubt the man anymore. He's the real thing, as others pointed out long before me. And about the "auto-pilot" thing: since he made that statement he's heard/seen more of the score and has become quite found of it.

I never doubted your word. And it is nice to hear that he has changed his opinions on Tintin, the great hope of the JW fans everywhere for a yet another adventure score from the Maestro.

I never doubted your word. And it is nice to hear that he has changed his opinions on Tintin, the great hope of the JW fans everywhere for a yet another adventure score from the Maestro.

Basically he was referring to some of the action cues back then. But we all know a great John Williams is so much more than that... ;)

After that elaboration I am actually seeing a throng of disappointed fans throwing themselves on the floor and shaking angry fists at the Maestro for autopilot action music. WIIIIIILLLLIIIAAAAAAMMMMSSSSSS!!!

Personally I am expecting both scores with much anticipation. It has been too long since the last JW score.

Where is your wide-eyed enthusiasm and naive feel of excitement for new JW scores Stefan?

How many themes have both scores and do they suck or not? That's about the only question i have, because i don't need anyone in the know to tell me they are skillfully orchestrated - that much is certain.

War Horse might surprise us with a rich tapestry of themes and motifs, not unlike Artificial Intelligence (which is unusual for Williams and dramas).

Tintin might be The Terminal meets... a more European influenced KOTCS, without the Raiders march? Azkaban? Who knows. None of his recent action/adventure scoring fits the PG rated Tintin mould.

War Horse might surprise us with a rich tapestry of themes and motifs, not unlike Artificial Intelligence (which is unusual for Williams and dramas).

Tintin might be The Terminal meets... a more European influenced KOTCS, without the Raiders march? Azkaban? Who knows. None of his recent action/adventure scoring fits the PG rated Tintin mould.

Terminal + KotCS is what I expect too. Who knows what JW had in mind scoring it and what he was asked to write.

Terminal + KotCS is what I expect too. Who knows what JW had in mind scoring it and what he was asked to write.

But wasn't KotCS itself Indiana Jones + Terminal in the first place?

Not really. It was rather watered-down version of Indiana Jones mixed with some generic JW cues that could be found in either prequels or Harry Potters.

I think it's safe to say it'll sound like John Williams. ;)

Karol

Nah...

Not really. It was rather watered-down version of Indiana Jones mixed with some generic JW cues that could be found in either prequels or Harry Potters.

I think it's safe to say it'll sound like John Williams. ;)

Karol

Nah...

You are just about as pessimistic a JW fan as one can possibly find. :blink:

You are just about as pessimistic a JW fan as one can possibly find. :blink:

I am just being realistic. I'll be on cloud nine if Tintin turns out fresh and exciting, but, since I was disappointed on various instances over the course of past years, I know it doesn't have to be. Besides, I have higher expectations of War Horse than Tintin.

You hope.

I'm still a tad bit skeptical as to how Tintin will be received by audiences here.

Indeed, some of the warehouse music sounds like it came right out of the prequels.

You mean, a random, cacophony of notes with no structure or memorable melody? That's like, almost every action cue he's written since Jurassic Park two decades ago (The Jungle Chase and a few quidditch cues aside)

You mean, a random, cacophony of notes with no structure or memorable melody? That's like, almost every action cue he's written since Jurassic Park two decades ago (The Jungle Chase and a few quidditch cues aside)

Gimme this "random cacophony of notes" over most of soulless, insipid Hollywood movie scores any day of the week! Sheesh... :sarcasm:

Ehh the same thing happened to Goldsmith in his later years as well. Some of his music became / sounded interchangeable.

As for the comments suggesting Tin Tin is more likely to become a Williams's classic more than War Horse, I would agree, particularly since the film will be bigger (one would think) internationally. Even if Americans don't love the movie, I think we will like it enough to become affectionately familar with a strong orchestral theme. That being said, War Horse has the potential to be a dramatic masterpiece. As good as Williams dramas have been in the last 20 years, they have lacked--probably intentionally--instantly memorable melody lines. War Horse has the potential to fuse together melody and drama in ways reminescent of ET.

amd, yes, I realize War Horse is a British story, but Tin Tin seems to be followed by a huge part of Europe.

Tintin according to Wiki

"The series is one of the most popular European comics of the 20th century, with translations published in more than 80 languages and more than 350 million copies of the books sold to date"

Harry Potter has 400 million books sold. so it's a phenomenon of similar amplitude

More likely it will happen to Tintin than War Horse. In the latter case we probably won't even get Williams' old music in the trailer. Usually we don't. We can hope it won't be any generic trailer music either.

Tintin according to Wiki

"The series is one of the most popular European comics of the 20th century, with translations published in more than 80 languages and more than 350 million copies of the books sold to date"

Harry Potter has 400 million books sold. so it's a phenomenon of similar amplitude

That is 350 million units x 24 books, while HP is 400 x 7. HP has much more text of course, but as raw numbers... and speaking of comics Tin Tin is rather big.

i think i read it worng though, and its 350/24 and 400/7, then HP wins.

More likely it will happen to Tintin than War Horse. In the latter case we probably won't even get Williams' old music in the trailer. Usually we don't. We can hope it won't be any generic trailer music either.

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking about Tintin. :P

Karol

we got TLC music in the JP trailer

Tintin according to Wiki

That is 350 million units x 24 books, while HP is 400 x 7. HP has much more text of course, but as raw numbers... and speaking of comics Tin Tin is rather big.

I just realized most original Tintin fans must be dead by now

Nobody knew about Indiana Jones before it came, so that made him less famous? No.

This movie just needs good marketing and that's all. It doesn't matter if american audiences don't know about it.

Nobody knew about Indiana Jones before it came, so that made him less famous? No.

This movie just needs good marketing and that's all. It doesn't matter if american audiences don't know about it.

the trailer for Star Wars had "boring" music, and did that make it less famous? No.

This movie just needs good marketing and that's all

this is what I was referring to, Star Wars did not have very much promotion

Tintin according to Wiki

I just realized most original Tintin fans must be dead by now

So were fans for LOTR and it did just fine.