War Horse MOVIE Anticipation Thread (News, Interviews, Images, Posters, etc)

Bowie

Tintin according to Wiki

"The series is one of the most popular European comics of the 20th century, with translations published in more than 80 languages and more than 350 million copies of the books sold to date"

Harry Potter has 400 million books sold. so it's a phenomenon of similar amplitude

That is 350 million units x 24 books, while HP is 400 x 7. HP has much more text of course, but as raw numbers... and speaking of comics Tin Tin is rather big.

i think i read it worng though, and its 350/24 and 400/7, then HP wins.

Tintin's also had a lot more time to get those 350 million sales.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This movie just needs good marketing and that's all

this is what I was referring to, Star Wars did not have very much promotion

Nor were the original trailers any good.

Tintin will be a boxoffice hiccup.

spielbergs Mars needs moms.

Yes, nobody in the mid-western US will go see Tintin, they'll be too busy with Transformers 3 and Captain America.

But I think Tintin might do good box office world wide

Yes, nobody in the mid-western US will go see Tintin, they'll be too busy with Transformers 3 and Captain America.

But I think Tintin might do good box office world wide

How is that possible when Transformers 3 and Captain America come out in July and Tin Tin comes out in December

Christmas day here I believe. I'll go see it but it's for foreigners more than anything.

yes, I figure to add 3 scores this year, go figure, two JW and a Desplat.

On wiki about War Horse:

Tuba player Jim Self reported in May 2011 "For John Williams I recently finished recording for the film War Horse. It's a war movie so the score has a lot of brass — but it was gentile [sic] music often."

http://sousacentral.blogspot.com/2011/05/interview-jim-self.html May 4 interview.

That's why it's got the [sic] - to show that it was a mistake in the original typescript. He meant to say 'gentle' but typed it 'gentile'. Kind of amusing given Spielberg's heritage!!

My only hope is that Williams took another route with that movie and didn't only repeat old tricks. The same goes for the Lincoln movie in the fututre.

If it means getting a new piece as moving and original as 'Hymn to the Fallen', I don't care how many french horns it has!

Even though it will feature a similar orchestration, I think it will be quite different from SPR. That score was written in a very Americana, Copland-esque mold, which would be something out of place for a WW-I period film set mainly in England.

Williams loves English music. He channeled it wonderfully well in scores like Angela's Ashes and Jane Eyre. I'd expect something much more like Vaughan Williams than Copland

I'm listening to several composition of British composer Frederick Delius--he composed a lot of beautiful, melodious music inspired by the English folk traditions and countryside.

I wonder if Williams' War Horse will contain some inspiration from "folk" English composers like Delius and Percy Grainger. It's common knowledge he's a huge Anglophile and his love for British composers is quite evident.

The stage production of War Horse has a fantastic score by Adrian Sutton and songs are by John Tams, the renowned English folk singer. John Tams reported how he had spoken to Spielberg and Williams about incorporating one of his songs in the film. [http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/West-End-Hollywood-John-s-songs-woo-Spielberg/article-2734764-detail/article.html]

The score seems to be sounding less and less like a "small string score like Angela's Ashes" all the time.

Veering towards Amistad and Saving Private Ryan perhaps?

Some bit of news: According to Conrad Pope, the main theme plays on solo Trumpet and a Brass Choir.

brass? or bass?

if the former... then what it is? i never heard-seen it.

Some bit of news: According to Conrad Pope, the main theme plays on solo Trumpet and a Brass Choir.

brass? or bass?

http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/textb/Brasschoir.html

"A grouping of like instruments (brass) forming a performance ensemble. Generally a combination of trumpets, horns, trombones, tubas, and often euphoniums. Anything from six performers up."

brass? or bass?

EDIT: Faleel beat me to it. :)

I would imagine an all bass choir would give the film certain Russian flavour though. :P

Suddenly International Code from ID4 sprang into my mind when talking about Russian choir. :P

But perhaps such great invention would be out of place in a film about an English boy and a horse.

Was the War Horse play a musical?

Well there is the odd chance that the play has songs intertwined with the story though I have no idea if the actors actually sing any of them in it.

I knew it. Saving Private Ryan vol. 2

Great isn't it?

The score seems to be sounding less and less like a "small string score like Angela's Ashes" all the time.

It's a war movie (at least part of it) in the end, so it's obvious the score would feature some military-like orchestral colors. But I'm sure Johnny will deliver big time.

It's a war movie (at least part of it) in the end, so it's obvious the score would feature some military-like orchestral colors. But I'm sure Johnny will deliver big time.

As long as it isn't Williams' shopworn "Reflective Americana"TM, i can live with that. But i'm afraid Spielberg will make another polished turd with lots of technical bravura but without any passion behind it, so Williams may again be forced to write "worthy" music.