Who is going to the Hollywood Bowl Aug. 27 and 28?

I just bought my tickets to see John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl. I am going to be there for the Aug. 28 show. Can't wait! I went two years ago and had a blast, though I was unable to wait around for an opportunity to get an autograph and photo. But this year, I will not leave until they turn out the lights!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can certainly try after the concert, though. You might luck out like I did and get a few photos of his head through a window. :)

But yeah, how does one go about going to the rehearsal? Is it just open to the public, or is it ticketed? And when does it take place?

Usually it takes place the Friday before the concert, at around 10 AM. When the event gets nearer I'd try calling the Bowl to find out when the rehearsal is. From what I remember, it is open to the public (although if you want to sit in the front, I believe you need to have paid something, or perhaps you need a special pass [ie a season pass]). So Trumpeteer, if you're going to be around the Bowl on Friday morning, you've got a chance.

I don't know how other venues handle it, but Bass Hall in Ft. Worth sold tickets for the rehearsal we went to like a regular concert, just at a lower price.

I highly recommend trying to go to a rehearsal, especially if you've attended a proper concert in the past. Rehearsals have many advantages- smaller crowd, you get to hear Williams interact with the orchestra, and you actually have a chance for an autograph, pic, and handshake afterward. The only negative based on my recent experience is that some of the pieces are not played in full.

Actually, last year there was no microphone at the Bowl, so you couldn't hear him. In addition, the sun was so bad that a giant projector had been pulled down to shield Williams from the sun. As a result, all you could see was his legs. I should also add that autographs afterwards aren't a given. Last year he motioned that he was feeling sick, so after waiting in line for a while, all we got to see was the maestro thank us for coming and drive away.

Yeah, I guess it's harder for a large outdoor auditorium. Bass Hall is small and intimate, and indoors. Even when Williams wasn't using the mic I could still just about make out what he was saying.