John Williams scores - by Specialty Label

Jay

I just got a reply from LLL. 

...currently it's not in stock, but we are expecting it within a few weeks. We will make an official announcement when it is available.

Very prompt and straight forward. I can wait a little longer. Thank you LLL!

8 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

But I prefer a physical set because it's so much more than just the music (although we always love that). It just looks so darn good altogether. Plus, I always felt different about buying physical CDs as opposed to digital. It's just so much more. 

You know, I used to think so too. Now it doesn't matter to me anymore, at least when it comes to CDs. For me, the advantages of digital releases seem to outweigh the joy of owning the physical products, it seems, especially since I hardly ever handle the CDs at all, after ripping them on the very first day. Plus, they take space.

Books are different, though, at least for me. And that's only because I don't want to ruin my eyes by staring at some screen for hours on end... That's gotta be worse than staring at printed pages! And that's really the only reason. If it weren't for that, I'd welcome digital books too!

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

If the future is digital, then I hope the 79 minutes per cd rule is broken to pieces forever....

If the future is digital, the limitations of the CD format won't matter. :)

But we all know that the future belongs to the cassette.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:16 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

But we all know that the future belongs to the cassette.

I still remember at the very beginning, in the mid 90's, I used to listen to Jurassic Park on one of these bad boys! 😂 Ah, those were the days!

images (50).jpeg

And then the CD took off, and I got my very first Discman! I used to love Mega Bass... 

images (51).jpeg

The very first CD I ever bought was Schindler's List. I used to listen to it on my Discman over and over again...

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I had the same discman!

That was a pretty well-made little player! I think it lasted me well over a decade before it finally broke and stopped moving... I might have dropped it once too often. Oh well. 

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The highlight of long car journeys for me would be when the car shook a little and the CD skipped a bit...

Story of my life. I stopped trying once we hit the gravel road.

8 hours ago, Josh500 said:

The very first CD I ever bought was Schindler's List. I used to listen to it on my Discman over and over again...

That Mega Bass must have come in handy, especially when listening to the scores like Schindler's List. :lol:

12 hours ago, Incanus said:

That Mega Bass must have come in handy, especially when listening to the scores like Schindler's List. :lol:

Actually it did.

As is the case with all orchestral music, it was the difference between hearing the contrabass clearly or not! I, naturally, preferred my music only with Mega Bass! :D

On 1/31/2019 at 6:14 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Story of my life. I stopped trying once we hit the gravel road.

Then they came out with anti-skip, which I think was mostly in the form of the discman reading 20 or 30 seconds ahead.

Superman: The Music (1978/etc) (2nd pressing) is already sold out.

And all out of print titles in the list (except Black Sunday) are sold out too.

After the Discman, I even used Sony's MiniDiscman for a time!

Actually I still think the MiniDisc should have taken off, instead of the Compact Disc. We're so used to it now, but if you think about it CDs are so impractical! They're easy to scratch, relatively big, rather awkward to handle, they skip so easily.... It's like the old LP vinyl records, only in miniature.

The MiniDiscs are so much better! They don't scratch, they're smaller, they don't skip, they can be easily overwritten.

Sony MiniDisc (MD), MiniDisk, music, audio - ArchiVision Directory.jpg

images (53).jpeg

• 1 month later...

Oh come on... When is this ridiculous unit limit going to end? I'm not watching every JW movie they expand right now just because these ridiculous studios won't do unlimited releases!

1 hour ago, Holko said:

A.I. took more than 3 years to go.

That's not the point. There are loads of expanded CDs I can't buy anymore because, God forgive me, I wasn't paying attention to specialty labels six years ago. Why can't these things be unlimited?

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh come on... When is this ridiculous unit limit going to end? I'm not watching every JW movie they expand right now just because these ridiculous studios won't do unlimited releases!

Truth be told, I felt this way about Stanley & Iris/Pete n' Tillie

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

That's not the point. There are loads of expanded CDs I can't buy anymore because, God forgive me, I wasn't paying attention to specialty labels six years ago. Why can't these things be unlimited?

@bollemanneke Trying to be helpful here but I don't want to make it seem like I'm either talking down or not getting some sarcasm here but... Do you know how the re-use fees and licensing works for the labels and that they have to be limited due to how the unions and such work? It sucks but it has to be this way otherwise no one could afford the releases. 

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh absolutely, I was just stating that I have no patience with any of these rules whose only purpose seems to be to frustrate record labels and buyers.

Ok, Yeah I'm with you there the fees and so on that our Labels have to pay just to get us the music is absurd and I certainly don't hold it against the labels as they have to live but the unions and so on that make this stuff so hard to do at our scale perhaps deserve a little "bile" thrown their way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Final batch of E.T. already?  Dang that didn't take that long.

The last 500 ET cds are in stock

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=53&forumID=1&threadID=118900&archive=0

12 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

That's my cue! Thank you @ATXHusker for the update! Exciting!

FYI: La-la land records is celebrating their 17th anniversary very soon, and based on previous anniversaries they might offer a site-wide discount.

55849359_10157450686153755_1701208383845

• 3 months later...

Updated the main post:

1. the new Intrada Monsignor hadn't been added yet, now it is
  2. the "unlimited" SpaceCamp from Intrada has seemingly quietly gone Out Of Print
  3. Quartet Records updated their website so I fixed the link for The Long Goodbye
  4. The second pressing of the Superman: Blue Box is now totally OOP

Just now, Jay said:

the "unlimited" SpaceCamp from Intrada has seemingly quietly gone Out Of Print

I discovered that the hard way: left it in my cart a few days and then went to check out. Argh...

57 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

I discovered that the hard way: left it in my cart a few days and then went to check out. Argh...

Are you arachnophobic per chance?

http://tarantula-records.com/shop/artikelauswahl.php?kat=CD · KOMPONIST%2FCOMPOSER~· WILLIAMS&von=51&bis=100

Screenshot_20190718-200155~2.png

4 hours ago, Jay said:

the "unlimited" SpaceCamp from Intrada has seemingly quietly gone Out Of Print

Which goes to show that Bolle's complaints about limited releases don't really matter all that much. All releases are limited, the officially limited ones just usually tell you the numbers up front. But everything is pressed in limited qualities, and when they are gone, the label has to decide whether to invest in pressing more or not.

But when one score is unlimited, do they the license to promote it forever or they have to renew it? I mean, can they print a new batch every 10 years or so (to make it worth it as many new fans would buy it)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Added a link to Minority Report, added the Disaster Trilogy collection, notated that Black Sunday is actually in print again, and notated that A.I. Artificial Intelligence and JAWS are now Out of Print / Sold Out! 

If you hadn't heard the news about Jaws, it's discussed here: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25775-jaws-2019-intrada-2cd-release-complete-film-tracks-original-lp-re-recording/&do=findComment&comment=1647674

46 minutes ago, Holko said:

Shouldn't A.I. be marked Sold Out instead of Out of Print?

Hmm, I suppose so. 

• 3 months later...