John Williams scores - by Specialty Label

Jay

Nice breakdown. I recently ordered Guide for the Married Man and Black Sunday (since I hadn't already). Didn't know Cinderella Liberty was low in stock, looks like that's where my next paycheck is headed. Thanks for the heads up.

La La Land:

2005: The Outer Limits (1965-1968) [5000 Copies]: Less than 625 copies

I personally just made a moviemusic.com order containing Cinderella Liberty, Guide For The Married Man, and Dragonslayer because of the low quantities of the first two. (I actually went there to order Dragonslayer, Eraser, and Robocop, but the last 2 are now out of stock there!).

I'll try to keep this thread updated when any low quantity alerts come out again, or when I think to check Intrada stock

John Williams didn't contribute anything to the Outer Limits. Or did you mean Lost In Space?

Woops, thank you Mark, just a typo/brain fart.

On 10/05/2010 at 7:43 PM, AzOutcast said:

Nice breakdown. I recently ordered Guide for the Married Man and Black Sunday (since I hadn't already). Didn't know Cinderella Liberty was low in stock, looks like that's where my next paycheck is headed. Thanks for the heads up.

Yea I will throw in another one I don't have the next time I order from movie music (probably when Eraser and/or Robocop go back in stock)

I'd love to hear opinions from you guys on which of these are the best/worst.... These are the titles that I either don't already have, or that haven't sold out before I could get them (PSA/C/PC, TI, F/TLG)

2001: John Goldfarb, Please Come Home! (1965)

2002: The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing (1973)

2004: Penelope (1966) / Bachelor In Paris (1961)

2005: Jericho (1966) / The Ghostbreaker (1965)

2005: Lost In Space (1965-1968)

2007: Images (1972)

Woops, thank you Mark, just a typo/brain fart.

[...]

I'd love to hear opinions from you guys on which of these are the best/worst:

2001: John Goldfarb, Please Come Home! (1965)

2002: The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing (1973)

2004: Penelope (1966) / Bachelor In Paris (1961)

2005: Jericho (1966) / The Ghostbreaker (1965)

2005: The Outer Limits (1965-1968)

And you just did it again. :blink:

But yeah, good to have all this info in one place. I'm gonna have to get me those Amazing Stories sets soon. Whenever I've come close to ordering one, I've ended up getting something cheaper instead. But with all the great composers involved, I'm sure I'd love 'em.

Also, I can't recommend Monsignor enough. Out of everything still available on this list besides the Blue Box, I'd say it's the biggest must-have.

I've been seriously thinking of selling off my vintage Star Wars figures to finance John Williams CDs.

I hope you're kidding. You shouldn't sell off awesomeness to finance more awesomeness.

Huh, I'm surprised Monsignor hasn't sold out.

Monsignor is unlimited, I believe.

Monsignor is limited to 3000 copies, as I said in the original post. Here's your proof.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5552/.f

Is Images a limited release? If so I'll add it to the list. Does Prometheus even have an official site?

I believe Images was limited to 2,000 copies.

Thanks for the heads up!

Thankfully, I own most of the stuff on that list (not counting the sold out or unlimited stuff). I just purchased Guide for the Married Man from SAE's Amazon account. I forget how much shipping is directly from SAE, but I'm pretty sure it's more than 3 dollars? If so, Amazon is definitely the way to go.

The only other things I need to get on the list that are nearing OOPness are the Amazing Stories (all three). I find Williams' music for Lost in Space to be incredibly boring, anybody have any suggestions about whether or not I'd like Amazing Stories?

For those pondering if they should purchase any of these endangered releases, I'd highly recommend "How to Steal A Million/Bachelor Flat." HTSAM especially is a really fun and surprisingly beautiful one.

The Amazing Stories music is a necessary purchase for the Mission episode, Ghost Train and the titles. The three releases are annoying however since they each include some desirable music and cost 30 dollars. I would recommend #3 if any one.

Yea it just looked it up: Images was released by Prometheus Records in 2007 and is limited to 2000 copies. I added it to the main post. I have no idea how to tell how many are left, but it'll definitely be a part of my new movie music order just in case.

I think Man Who Loved Cat Dancing will be the one I get next after that.

I think I'll be ordering Superman, Monsignor, Black Sunday, Amazing Stories #3 and Images.

I've been seriously thinking of selling off my vintage Star Wars figures to finance John Williams CDs.

I hope you're kidding. You shouldn't sell off awesomeness to finance more awesomeness.

They're just things. Things can be replaced. John Williams scores cannot.

Is this the best release of Images? I've had trouble finding information about it. Considering I just bought a few scores, I probably don't want to buy it yet, but I've been pondering this one for a while. Based on what little I've heard from it, I think I'd like it.

That's the ONLY release of Images. Here's where I found information about it:

http://www.screenarc...ail.cfm?ID=8306

http://www.filmscore...mID=1&archive=0

Basically, a promotional LP was pressed in 1972 for Academy Award consideration and somehow in 2007 Prometheus got a hold of it and did a new digital transfer of it. And that's all there is.

As far back as 2003 Lukas Kendall thought a release would never happen:

http://www.filmscore...mID=1&archive=1

Very interesting...thanks so much for the information! Yeah, I gotta buy this eventually...

Hard to listen to on my headphones, though. So much stereo separation. Perhaps that was an intended simulation of schizophrenic symptoms? :blink:

OK, I edited the first post to provide a link to the official site of each release, and I also separated out the FSM releases that are unlimited for better readability :blink:

Thanks for doing this Jason. The only release I don't already have id Amazing Stories Anthology 2. There's only about 2 minutes of John Williams on it! Is the CD worth getting? I'm actually surprised that Anthology 2 seems to be selling out faster than the other two, given that there's hardly any JW on it. Not that Goldsmith et al don't have their fans as well, but it just seems odd that it's selling so much quicker than the other two volumes.

Anthology 2 is the only one with a Jerry Goldsmith score so maybe that is why it is selling more?

I am surprised that there are so many copies of Anthology 3 left, considering how GREAT the score to The Mission is.

No, don't buy Vol2 just for the JW tracks - its just alternates of the Main and End Titles that I'm sure a nice JWFan could email you if you REALLY wanted them.

That's the ONLY release of Images. Here's where I found information about it:

http://www.screenarc...ail.cfm?ID=8306

http://www.filmscore...mID=1&archive=0

Basically, a promotional LP was pressed in 1972 for Academy Award consideration and somehow in 2007 Prometheus got a hold of it and did a new digital transfer of it. And that's all there is.

As far back as 2003 Lukas Kendall thought a release would never happen:

http://www.filmscore...mID=1&archive=1

Images gave me night terrors.

I'm surprised that all 3 of the Amazing Stories volumes are still in stock.

I'd grab all 3, if you can afford it. There is quite a bit of good music on all 3, aside from Williams.

Lost in Space from LALALand is 10$ now. I can't recommend it enough. One of JW's early masterpieces

Really? What cues specifically do you love so much apart from the main themes. I really cannot get into this one.

Unlike Poseidon Adventure which has a lot of murky underscore ,LIS has a lot of exciting suspense building and action cues

A good example of it is the first minute of Walk in Space-To Be Continued . There's many other such cues . Set pieces like "Stangle Hold -Landing are just amazing . Then there's the theme for the Chariot, which is about just as good as The Poseidon Adventure Main Title . Also there's all those cue to tell you that something kick ass is going to happen next week (like "Will Threatened") or after the commercial break (like the end of "Sun Storm" or "Don's Rays") blow me away . Right there that's the guy who's going to score Star Wars 10 years later

You need the LaLaLand 2 Anniverasry c.d. set AND the GNP Crescendo Irwin Allen Vol 1 and 3 to make a complete score of all Williams scored episodes

The LaLaLand set is in Stereo and the GNP in Mono,so most cues have to be taken from the LALALand if you make a complete score

Actually if you're a true Williams fan and can afford it, you should have all of those releases. :lol:

I bought Monsignor last year and like it rather well. I'm thinking of buying the Lost in Space from LLR. I never saw Amazing Stories and while I know it would be kickass music, $90 is a lot to plunk down at once for the whole set.

Actually if you're a true Williams fan and can afford it, you should have all of those releases. :lol:

The only one I didn't get is Amazing Stories 2. Just couldn't get myself to order this one just for two short Williams tidbits. Especially because the Goldsmith score on it sucks!

I was definitely born in the wrong decade. I didn't get to experience Williams at the height of his mastery, and most of the great score releases are going to happen before I can financially justify buying all of them. :P

Thanks for the suggestions regarding Amazing Stories Volume 2. Hmmm. I'm hearing conflicting reports. Mark and Jason commented on the good non-Williams cues, but fommes said the Goldsmith sucks. Damn, trouble is I'm a collector and having volumes 1 and 3 of something without volume two can keep me awake at night. I know I'll probably end up getting volume 2 at some point.

Trouble is I just bought a ton of Woody Allen DVDs and now my wallet is a little empty.

There's nothing really wrong with Goldsmith's score, it's just his quirky side. Reminds me of Gremlins & The Twilight Zone Movie.

It does contain a very lovely score by Georges Delerue, Dorothy And Ben, which is the main reason I bought volume 2, although I was going to get it no matter what.

But it has some good music by Thomas Newman, Leonard Rosenman, Bruce Broughton, David Shire and John Addison.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend grabbing it.

There's nothing really wrong with Goldsmith's score, it's just his quirky side. Reminds me of Gremlins & The Twilight Zone Movie.

It does contain a very lovely score by Georges Delerue, Dorothy And Ben, which is the main reason I bought volume 2, although I was going to get it no matter what.

But it has some good music by Thomas Newman, Leonard Rosenman, Bruce Broughton, David Shire and John Addison.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend grabbing it.

Well, the Goldsmith doesn't "suck" really, but it's pretty bland work from Goldsmith. There's no comparison with this and Gremlins and Twilight Zone (though it's probably the same style yeah). And I already had the Delerue on the Varèse rerecording. Any way, although I might pick it up one day just for completism's sake, it's by far the most uninteresting compilation of the three.

• 1 month later...

Monsignor is down to less than 430 copies

How To Steal A Million / Bachelor Flat is down to less than 620 copies

Don't forget they are both on sale for $14.99 this week at Intrada!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.2164/.f

Put a title in your cart and keep changing the quantity until you find the highest number that doesn't give you a backorder alert

Monsignor is down to less than 430 copies

How To Steal A Million / Bachelor Flat is down to less than 620 copies

Don't forget they are both on sale for $14.99 this week at Intrada!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.2164/.f

Decided to order both.

You can get them at the Intrada sale price going through SAE -- which I did so I could use PayPal.

(And also get another magnet.)

Both blind buys, more or less.

This will be my first Johnny Williams album. :)

I can't stop listening to the sample for "The Key".

• 2 months later...

Bumping this mostly for myself to keep track.

Just ordered Amazing Stories Anthology II (along with Back to the Future), as well as John Goldfarb, Please Come Home (along with Batman).