John Williams scores - by Specialty Label

Jay

Yes, probably they can't ship all 2119 ordered copies on the same day ... ;)

If so, why the heck didn't they start shipping right away, when the orders started coming in?

Anyway... mine hasn't shipped yet. Probably I won't get it until next year anyway. :huh:

All of you who didn't get Lost in Space missed out on a early Williams classic..especially for 5$

Dammit!

Now, that I think of it, I don't think I have bought a single Williams CD this year... until last week, when I ordered 5. :lol:

I've never gotten into Lost in Space aside from the two great main titles. The LLL CD is pretty boring, IMO.

Some parts. But we're talking about $5 at this point. The Williams disc has some awesome tracks. It's essential Williams.

I don;t see why Williams Lost in Space is neglected so much

it's full of cool themes and exciting set pieces

OK, should I order my 6th Williams album this month...?

I saw this one amazon... unfortunately it's close to 25 bucks! :huh:

well you should get it since it's oop now

but you had like several years to get it for 10$ or less so it's your punishement

Hmmmm, well I didn't think this was so good as you say it is. Oh well.

OK, Home Alone, Music of America, Family Plot, Black Sunday, Poseidon Adventure... and Lost in Space.

Let's see how much money I have still left... :lol:

EDIT:

Jesus, I just remembered, I ordered SpaceCamp too! So Lost in Space would be my 7th CD! :eh:

I've never gotten into Lost in Space aside from the two great main titles. The LLL CD is pretty boring, IMO.

Some parts. But we're talking about $5 at this point. The Williams disc has some awesome tracks. It's essential Williams.

I haven't listened to it in a long time, but from what I remember literally the only good tracks were the Main Titles and End Titles. Nothing else, on the Williams disc or the other one, stood out to me. That said, I think that almost any Williams CD selling for $5 should be purchased, especially if it's about to be sold by eBay sellers for outrageous prices (the exception are CDs that can commonly be found for less than $5). But I'm a collector, and I hope to own every Williams CD one day. So from a purely musical standpoint, I don't think the Lost in Space CD was worth $5.

I disagree. Musically, this is JW's earliest fantasy stuff. This should be important enough for any JW to seek out for $5. How do you not enjoy anything other than the main and end titles?

There's a very evocative tone to the Lost In Space scores. Williams was very good at depicting outer space and desolate planets. And there are many action cues that preclude his later fantasy writing ,like Strangle Hold/The Landing ,Electric Sagebrush,The Earthquake... There's some traveling motifs that are as good as the Poseidon Adventure Main Titles (Chariot Title and The Inland Sea (not sure if those cues are on the LaLaland set

And motifs like one heard at the beginning of Walk in Space is just Williams at his very best!

Also pretty much every "commercial break" and episode ending is preceded by some short burst of super cool cliffhanger music .Cues like "Will Threatened" ,the end of Don's Rays and Sun Storm are sooo cool .That is top class Williams

I found a few clips

First a Suite (not the best music but it's all I could find)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBmx4nIEn0E

The Chariot traveling music I was taking about

I got the Lost in Space LE when it was on sale for $15 a while back. I thought that was a steal. It inspired me to seek out volume three of the original CD issues for My Friend, Mr. Nobody. I can't say it's among my very favorite JW music, but it's always entertaining.

Well you do get most of the good cues on the LaLaland release, and in Stereo

There's about 15 minutes or so more music on the GNP Irwin Allen Set Vol 1 and 3. Chariot Titles isn't on the LALaland

Q to those of you who have both:

Which score is better? Cinderella Liberty or Images? Which should I get first?

Do you prefer a strange combination of melody and avant garde (including shouts, weird percussion and strange breathing noises from the percussionist who was credited in the film as "percussion and sounds") to 1970's style mix of lounge, pop, funk and source music style underscoring with a nifty love theme?

I prefer Images but it is a tough listen to most fans as it is so strange and experimental. Williams mixes a string orchestra, celesta, piano (both of which Maestro himself plays on the recording) and the strange percussion of Stomu Yamash'ta to a work that is a great examination of schizofrenia and gradual loss of grip on reality of the main character in the film.

Cinderella Liberty is a small ensemble score that contains the above mentioned elements and a source music feel that adds to the reality of the film. On album it provides a glimpse of a different side to JWs talent.

You could listen to the samples of both on the SAE site for example. The samples of Images offer two of the most melodic tracks on the album (In Search of Unicorns and Dogs, Ponies & Old Ruins) and are not perhaps most representative of the score as a whole.

Q to those of you who have both:

Which score is better? Cinderella Liberty or Images? Which should I get first?

Do you prefer a strange combination of melody and avant garde (including shouts, weird percussion and strange breathing noises from the percussionist who was credited in the film as "percussion and sounds") to 1970's style mix of lounge, pop, funk and source music style underscoring with a nifty love theme?

I prefer Images but it is a tough listen to most fans as it is so strange and experimental. Williams mixes a string orchestra, celesta, piano (both of which Maestro himself plays on the recording) and the strange percussion of Stomu Yamash'ta to a work that is a great examination of schizofrenia and gradual loss of grip on reality of the main character in the film.

Cinderella Liberty is a small ensemble score that contains the above mentioned elements and a source music feel that adds to the reality of the film. On album it provides a glimpse of a different side to JWs talent.

You could listen to the samples of both on the SAE site for example. The samples of Images offer two of the most melodic tracks on the album (In Search of Unicorns and Dogs, Ponies & Old Ruins) and are not perhaps most representative of the score as a whole.

Hmmm, neither sounds like a must-have, somehow.

But I'll probably get them anyway (early next year most likely), just for completeness' sake.

OK you guys convinced me! Yeah, I really should get my hands on anything JW as long as it's possible...

But I should have started with the albums that are likely to go OOP soon, like Liberty Cinderella and Images. Unfortunately, I've already placed my orders for HA and FP.

Do I dare order 8 JW albums in single month? :lol:

I feel lucky to have gotten it. It came out at a time when I wasn't really aware of the whole limited edition thing. I don't even remember how/when I ordered it, but I know I had never heard a note of the score before.

I just updated the main post:

LOST IN SPACE is now officially out of print!!

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/LostInSpace.html

MONSIGNOR is now officially down to UNDER 50 COPIES in stock at Intrada!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5552/.f

And what's the cheapest I can get it for now?

I got mine for $76 plus shipping. And the only reason I bought it was because I knew I would never see it that cheap.

Hey Jason!

Do you happen to know how long The Fury - The Deluxe Edition lasted before it sold out?

I think it lasted for a year or so.

As far as finding it for a reasonable price, you just need to keep an eye on eBay or Amazon whenever it appears. I've seen it go from $50.00 to $150.00.

Hey Jason!

Do you happen to know how long The Fury - The Deluxe Edition lasted before it sold out?

I think it lasted for a year or so.

As far as finding it for a reasonable price, you just need to keep an eye on eBay or Amazon whenever it appears. I've seen it go from $50.00 to $150.00.

Haven't checked ebay yet (I don't even know whether my ebay account is still good), but on amazon it's $150 and upwards... :huh:

Dear God.

http://www.amazon.com/Fury-Deluxe-John-Williams/dp/B000063BNL/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1292438324&sr=1-3

Hmmm yes. I remember back then I was still busy collecting the commercial OS album releases that were readily available...

I got mine for $76 plus shipping. And the only reason I bought it was because I knew I would never see it that cheap.

Well, I would have said I will never spend more than $50 bucks on a single CD (or 2-disc set, for that matter), but that seems like a bargain, yes.

Any chance The Fury might see another rerelease in the near future? :P

I think that it will be re-issued eventually, yes. Though, I don't think there is anything more to add music-wise

I don't remember where I ordered it from, but I don't think it was right when it came out. I really dont remember though

Isn't Jaws 2 virtually complete? I doubt it will see an expansion, although it may be reissued.

I meant to include reissues as well. What I'm saying is, The Fury already got the complete and limited label treatment, so the odds of that being reissued and/or remastered are a lot less likely than Jaws 2, which is an OST that's been long OOP.

Isn't Jaws 2 virtually complete? I doubt it will see an expansion, although it may be reissued.

It could be expanded. The main title appears to be an alternate version and there are some extensions to the album cues and some unreleased bits that could be added, Plus there could always be music Williams composed that was not used at all.