Always is 3 500 copies.

Added to the main post:

Intrada

2021: The Eiger Sanction (1975) [limited]

LLL

2021: The Time Tunnel - Vol. 2 (1966) [1,000 Copies]

Updates to the main post:

Intrada

2019: Monsignor (1982) [limited] Less Than 125 copies remaining!!

2020: The River (1984) [limited] Less Than 225 copies remaining!!

I just realized that there's many more OUT OF PRINT / SOLD OUT titles in the master list here, than there are available titles (and even most of the ones that aren't OOP, or temporarily out of stock)

New Williams fans just discovering the guy's music have no legal way to listen to a lot of his scores in complete form right now.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You know, there's more OUT OF PRINT / SOLD OUT titles in the master list here, than there are in-print titles.

New Williams fans just discovered the guy's music have no legal way to listen to a lot of his scores in complete form right now.

I had the same thought the other day when I was asked where I got most of my collection and it dawned on me.... You can't get most of these anymore and that's a shame for newer fans. Also if something happens to my house how would I ever build the collection again??

I'm sure a lot of the catalog will be released again but wow having to wait for all these gems that were readily available just a few years ago that would be tough as a new fan! 

I've recently had that exact same problem, getting back into Williams three or four years ago and my jaw hitting the floor when I realised all these expanded/complete records had been available.

I've spent a fortune catching up, and that's over the last few years.  Starting today - you could drop a couple hundred on Jurassic and ET alone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2010 at 2:50 PM, Jay said:

Prometheus

1. 2007: Images (1972) [2,000 Copies] SOLD OUT

Quartet Records

1. 2012: The Long Goodbye (1973) (1st pressing) [1,000 Copies] SOLD OUT
  2. 2013: Heidi (1968) [1,500 Copies] SOLD OUT
  3. 2015: The Long Goodbye (1973) (2nd pressing) [1,000 Copies]
  4. 2015: Tom Sawyer (1973) [1,500 Copies] SOLD OUT
  5. 2021: Images (1973) [2,000 Copies]

Thanks @Jay for keeping this updated (and starting it back in the day).

Just noticed that the new "Images" under Quartet got listed with the main European year of release. I think 1972 is correct for the first release at festivals and in the US (as you have it listed for Prometheus' version). 

On 8/17/2021 at 9:01 PM, Jay said:

Updates to the main post:

Intrada

2019: Monsignor (1982) [limited] Less Than 125 copies remaining!!

2020: The River (1984) [limited] Less Than 225 copies remaining!!

2019: Monsignor (1982) [limited] SOLD OUT

2020: The River (1984) [limited] Less than 150 copies remaining!!

The real drama is that Goodbye, Mr. Chips is still sold out after all these years.

I don't care about the interviews and alt... please just release the score and OST.

:crymore:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Someone on FSM today noticed that Schindler's List is sold out... and I went to edit the main post but see it's already marked that way.  Must have sold out a while back I guess?  And I noted it there but not with a post?  Weird.

Was thinking the other day… would there be interest in a “Low Quantity and Newly OOP” thread for all the major labels ?  Sort of a watchdog thread. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, it has.

We're almost 100 days into the year and there's only been 1 Varese, 1 Quartet, 2 LLL, and 5 Intradas.

Even Mike Matessino's first album of the year came out vinyl-only, by a new label

Things will pick up

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Is there any hinted williams release for april?

LLL said there'd be no new titles until May. Maybe we'll have a new on next month.

That's just what I knew for sure off the top of my head. I recall Intrada saying they had him in their lineup too though. Not sure about Varese.

I can't imagine any John Williams titles will be coming from Varese any time soon.  They've now done all 3 Williams scores that they have perpetuity rights to (The Cowboys, Stanley & Iris, and Presumed Innocent), and they don't really work on scores that they don't have perpetuity rights to any more.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can't imagine any John Williams titles will be coming from Varese any time soon.  They've now done all 3 Williams scores that they have perpetuity rights to (The Cowboys, Stanley & Iris, and Presumed Innocent), and they don't really work on scores that they don't have perpetuity rights to any more.

Oh I didn't know that. I always wondered why it seems LLL had the most Williams' titles. So hypothetically, how would they ever release another expansion? Or is it next to impossible for them to do since they don't have the perpetuity rights?

I... don't know how to answer that without just repeating myself.

Varese doesn't have perpetuity rights to any other Williams titles, and they haven't done any expansions of any titles that they don't have perpetuity rights to for years now.  Dracula in 2018 was probably the last one, I think.

Is it possible they could start licensing scores where the music rights lie with other labels again?  Of course it's possible, but there's no evidence that they plan to start doing that.  But who knows what the future will bring!

56 minutes ago, Jay said:

Varese doesn't have perpetuity rights to any other Williams titles, and they haven't done any expansions of any titles that they don't have perpetuity rights to for years now.  Dracula in 2018 was probably the last one, I think.

You're forgetting How to Train Your Dragon 2 (and the third film's DE next year will also likely be coming from them, despite them not releasing the original album), but apart from that I think that's accurate. And I think the last time they did a non-Club DE of a non-perpetuity title was David Arnold's Stargate (since supplanted by a superior 2CD La-La Land edition).

2 hours ago, Jay said:

We're almost 100 days into the year and there's only been 1 Varese, 1 Quartet, 2 LLL, and 5 Intradas.

Hasn't it been 6 Intradas, starting with the significant expansion of Jay Chattaway's Silver Bullet (as with JNH's Peter Pan, original album put out by Varese)? And I think it's been more than one Quartet. (Wasn't Thief of Hearts their first of 2023, and it's been followed by four more releases -- two Morricones, a Yared, and a Fenton?)

https://quartetrecords.com/shop/cd-catalogue/

Yavar

9 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

You're forgetting How to Train Your Dragon 2 (and the third film's DE next year will also likely be coming from them, despite them not releasing the original album),

Oh yea!  I still wonder how that deal came about.  Maybe 5 Cat Studios did all the heavy lifting.

but apart from that I think that's accurate. And I think the last time they did a non-Club DE of a non-perpetuity title was David Arnold's Stargate (since supplanted by a superior 2CD La-La Land edition).

What? The Varese expansion of Stargate was all the way back in 2006!  Dracula was 2018 like I said.

Ohhhh, "non-Club"?  What does being in the club or not have to do with what we're discussing?

Hasn't it been 6 Intradas, starting with the significant expansion of Jay Chattaway's Silver Bullet (as with JNH's Peter Pan, original album put out by Varese)?

Nope, 5:

2023-01-10 Silver Bullet (1985) - Jay Chattaway - Intrada

2023-01-24 Funhouse (1982) - John Beal - Intrada

2023-02-07 Shattered (1991) - Alan Silvestri - Intrada

2023-02-28 The Faculty (1998) - Marco Beltrami - Intrada

2023-03-21 Peter Pan (2003) - James Newton Howard - Intrada

80 For Brady is a new score, not a catalog expansion.  Though of course they have Solo and the Hermann re-recording coming soon, plus announced titles from Danny Elfman, Jerry Goldsmith, Joel McNeely, James Horner, John Barry, Richard Band, Hans Zimmer, and John Williams, which are probably all catalog titles.  Like I said, things will pick up!

And I think it's been more than one Quartet. (Wasn't Thief of Hearts their first of 2023, and it's been followed by four more releases -- two Morricones, a Yared, and a Fenton?)

Yes, the one I was referring to was Thief of Hearts.  I hadn't heard about those others!  Was there even an FSM thread for that batch?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh yea!  I still wonder how that deal came about.  Maybe 5 Cat Studios did all the heavy lifting.

Actually Powell's 5 Cat Studios does all the heavy lifting for all of his releases I'm pretty sure -- including from Varese whether they are perpetuity titles or not (so no difference between HTTYD 1 or 2, aside from Varese probably having to pay some kind of additional licensing fee for their CD edition, and not being the ones to release the digital version on the latter).

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

What? The Varese expansion of Stargate was all the way back in 2006!  Dracula was 2018 like I said.

Yeah, I was saying Stargate was the last *non-Club* Deluxe Edition they put out (it was a wide release) of a non-perpetuity title. It's been quite a while indeed. Dracula was a Varese Club release limited to a specific number of copies, and yes, was the last such they've done apart from HTTYD2.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nope, 5:

2023-01-10 Silver Bullet (1985) - Jay Chattaway - Intrada

2023-01-24 Funhouse (1982) - John Beal - Intrada

2023-02-07 Shattered (1991) - Alan Silvestri - Intrada

2023-02-28 The Faculty (1998) - Marco Beltrami - Intrada

2023-03-21 Peter Pan (2003) - James Newton Howard - Intrada

80 For Brady is a new score, not a catalog expansion.  Though of course they have Solo and the Hermann re-recording coming soon, plus announced titles from Danny Elfman, Jerry Goldsmith, Joel McNeely, James Horner, John Barry, Richard Band, Hans Zimmer, and John Williams, which are probably all catalog titles.  Like I said, things will pick up!

I just thought you were talking about specialty label releases (and 80 for Brady certainly qualifies as one of those); I didn't realize you were excluding new scores and only cared about expansions of past scores. In that case I think the Fenton and maybe the Yared that Quartet put out were also more recent titles... I'd have to check.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, the one I was referring to was Thief of Hearts.  I hadn't heard about those others!  Was there even an FSM thread for that batch?

I think they got individual threads.

Yavar

16 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Actually Powell's 5 Cat Studios does all the heavy lifting for all of his releases I'm pretty sure

Well yea obviously; I wasn't talking about doing the heavy lifting of the production of the album, i was talking about maybe they did the heavy lifting in regard to the contract negotiations; IE, with Varese having perpetuity rights to score 1, maybe they worked out a big deal with all parties involved that Varese would get the CD-rights to scores 2 and 3 (and obv digital rights for 1)

16 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I just thought you were talking about specialty label releases (and 80 for Brady certainly qualifies as one of those); I didn't realize you were excluding new scores and only cared about expansions of past scores. 

I was responding to a question specifically asking about catalog expansions:

20 hours ago, Dr. Rick said:

Is it me or has this been a slow start to the year for all labels for any expanded releases as a whole for any composer?  

(bolding is mine)

That's why I didn't include 80 For Brady when I responded to his question.

Intrada is the only one who has officially indicated a title from John Williams. As the year progresses many other titles will pop in. Keep in mind, as Indy V starts hitting in May - June  period other potential expanded release of Williams could be intentionally spread out so as not to over lap. Not a hard or fast rule but could be....

Im sure both LLL and Quartet could have some interesting stuff lined up.