I never thought I'd live to see the day....

Just read this on Franz Welser-Möst's new Twitter account: As this year's conductor of the Vienna Philharmonic's "Sommernachtskonzert Schönbrunn", he will feature three John Williams pieces:

Main Title

Princess Leia's Theme

Imperial March

The bad news is that I probably won't have time to attend that day. But more important than that is the fact that this orchestra is finally playing this music, and Welser-Möst seems to give special concern to the programme (or at least he specifically posted the info about the Williams bits).

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's about as frustrating as my wife surprising me with tickets to see Star Wars in Concert next month, and I can't get the day off to go see it :blink: .

“Three women are already too many. By the time we have twenty percent, the orchestra will be ruined. We have made a big mistaken, and will bitterly regret it.”

And now film music too? Disgusting!

Isn't that the snobbiest orchestra in the world? This is good for JW.

Snobbiest? Probably not. Likely snobbier than the LSO, considering that they practically never play this kind of music. But with an equal claim to the popular title of world's best orchestra.

Isn't that the snobbiest orchestra in the world? This is good for JW.

Snobbiest? Probably not. Likely snobbier than the LSO, considering that they practically never play this kind of music. But with an equal claim to the popular title of world's best orchestra.

Was it Vienna Philharmonic who did not allow women to be members of the orchestra and the last orchestra to prohibit that?

I also think that women should not play in that Orchestra. The VPO is to me like an old Cethedral or painting. It should be preserved at all cost, this whole discussion is not about sexism but tradition.

I like women in orchestras. What else is there to look at during the performance?

Amazing that women's right groups seems to have problems with the most impossible things, like the figure on the traffic light being male, but apparently have no objection to this kind of thing; like women in the orchestra will curse Vienna forever or something.

I like women in orchestras. What else is there to look at during the performance?

:lol: Yes!

Is it me, or is there always one or two gorgeous violin players or a harp player in almost every orchestra? It's like it's a law or something.

That so-called tradition was bullshit anyway. They always (or at least for a long time?) had a woman in the orchestra, the harpist. They just didn't let her on any of their photos...

That so-called tradition was bullshit anyway. They always (or at least for a long time?) had a woman in the orchestra, the harpist. They just didn't let her on any of their photos...

And a bunch of hypocrites...

Yes. Though I don't know how they think about these things now that they've had women in their orchestra for several years. Differently, I hope.

So apparently the Star Wars programming is Ozawa's achievement. He had to bow out as conductor due to health reasons, Welser-Möst (his designated successor as principal conductor at the Vienna State Opera) replacing him.

When Ozawa became principal conductor at the State Opera, I was hoping he'd bring some Williams music with him. Apparently, after 8 years, he did it after all.

Yes. Though I don't know how they think about these things now that they've had women in their orchestra for several years. Differently, I hope.

So apparently the Star Wars programming is Ozawa's achievement. He had to bow out as conductor due to health reasons, Welser-Möst (his designated successor as principal conductor at the Vienna State Opera) replacing him.

When Ozawa became principal conductor at the State Opera, I was hoping he'd bring some Williams music with him. Apparently, after 8 years, he did it after all.

Wasn't there something planned, like bringing Williams to the Opera and conduct his Harry Potter-music for the children instead of the Magic Flute for kids? What happened back then?

I have no idea. Holender raved about how great this music is and how the only comparison that comes close in terms of leitmotivic complexity is Wagner's Ring, but then nothing happened. Perhaps Williams didn't want to travel.

And to confirm Welser-Möst's excitement about Star Wars, via Twitter:

Had my first rehearsel for Schönbrunn 2 days ago:look forward even more to June 8:starwars is an amazing blast!

I read it today, absolutely amazing!!! Let's hope that this will be reapeated. The first step is always the hardest but now finally the vienna philharmonic plays film music...

I will be there at Schönbrunn. By the way, it is also shown in Austrian television.