ESB: Recreating the RSO album edits

publicist

Since i'm in the works of cutting a mp3 album of ESB (finally!), i was wondering how to produce the old double LP edits from 1980.

I searched this forum and came up with the cues which went into HEROICS OF LUKE AND HAN, REBELS AT BAY etc., but i failed in recreating them. LUKE'S RESCUE with LUKE'S FIRST CRASH barely works and the other stuff was even more hopeless. Since i traded the SE's for the simple reason that they are terribly produced, i only have the Anthology to go by and there just seems no sensible cutting point.

On the other hand, i think highly of Williams' old edits, so maybe someone can shed some light what exactly he did to combine said cues?

THX!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, I'm confused...you want to mimic the double LP edits using what material? The Anthology?

I suppose it doesn't matter, as I won't be able to help. Nor can I understand why anyone would want to omit or scramble anything from this score. But that's just me being nauseating, isn't it? ;)

I don't think I could ever attempt that. Just buy a turntable and rip a pristine copy of the LP to your computer.

It was a great album when it was the only thing we had...I wore out 2 cassettes of it.

The 1994 Anthology and 1997 Special Edition trumps it though . Without Ice Planet Hoth,Carbon Freeze, Losing a Hand and half the Battle of Hoth missing the LP is useless.

At least they were able to do a double-LP, which they didn't do with ROTJ. I just wished they had released the full album on CD instead of using the single-LP version.

However, someone needs to do a proper ESB (and ROTJ while they're at it). There's a lot to love about the presentations so far (and some grumbles), but it really could do with a full remaster.

Same here. ESB isn't perfect, but it's tolerable. ROTJ is a great score (if the worst of the OT scores) that I don't listen to as much as I should simply because of the sound quality.

Really, I'd just love to have them re-release all six scores with the best possible sound quality, with every single available cue presented in complete and unedited form, without segues or anything. I figure the 12-CD box set would cost somewhere in the vicinity of $200, and despite being among this site's cheapest film score fans, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Of course, that won't happen. At least, not for a great many years, if ever.

I don't think I could ever attempt that. Just buy a turntable and rip a pristine copy of the LP to your computer.

That was exactly something i wanted to avoid.

I have made my own edits in some cases but the action stuff is hard to come by.

As for the heresy of shortening STAR WARS; let me just say i refrain myself of telling you how little of the other two survived...(ducks)

Is the normal RSO CD much different from the RSO 2-LP?

Hmm, only 10 tracks on the CD. I guess it's much shorter, right?

Is the normal RSO CD much different from the RSO 2-LP?

Hmm, only 10 tracks on the CD. I guess it's much shorter, right?

Yeah, the CD used the 1-LP release, which was also the release the UK got (I don't believe the 2-LP ever got a proper release in the UK). It's weirdly out of order, so much so that "Finale" is track five, or the end of side one.

I don't believe the 2-LP ever got a proper release in the UK.

I don't think there's been a 2-LP release in the whole of Europe. I must say, I wouldn't mind an audiophile transfer of the 2-LP on CD.

I don't believe the 2-LP ever got a proper release in the UK.

I don't think there's been a 2-LP release in the whole of Europe. I must say, I wouldn't mind an audiophile transfer of the 2-LP on CD.

Yeah, I think it was just the US and Japan. I have a rip, but it's not brilliant. I'd love a proper one.

Not surprising that peple don't, or can't, comprehend that Williams assembled a superb lstening experience with original TESB LP. Quite a few of us enjoyed the albums and didn't worry about the missing music.

Since i'm in the works of cutting a mp3 album of ESB (finally!), i was wondering how to produce the old double LP edits from 1980.

I searched this forum and came up with the cues which went into HEROICS OF LUKE AND HAN, REBELS AT BAY etc., but i failed in recreating them. LUKE'S RESCUE with LUKE'S FIRST CRASH barely works and the other stuff was even more hopeless. Since i traded the SE's for the simple reason that they are terribly produced, i only have the Anthology to go by and there just seems no sensible cutting point.

On the other hand, i think highly of Williams' old edits, so maybe someone can shed some light what exactly he did to combine said cues?

THX!

It wouldn't be too hard to do it from the Anthology. Most of the cues from the first half of the film would need the most editing/trimming of music. But by getting rid of the SE you won't be able to add the space slug cue to the opening cue since it was left off the Anthology.

I would have to sit down and listen to the anthology to give the exact times, and that would be from memory.

For some reason I remember the LP having more punch to it. The music sounds to soft on both the Anthology and SE.

Yes. Ever since the SE was released, I've been disappointed in the mix of the "Escape in the Millennium Falcon" cue at the end of the Battle of Hoth. The strings slicing away during the fabulous scherzo when Han and Leia escape the Snowtroopers sounded way better in the "Heroics of Luke and Han" from the original LP.

I'm ok with the SE on my iPod, but it sounds really flat when I put it through my hifi. The Anthology is okay, but a few of the mix/edits don't jar with me, mainly on "Finale".

Oh don't get mewrong, I love the SE's but to me the LP was the same as having the original albums to E.T. and Jaws, as well as their expanded original film tracks release.

Yes. Ever since the SE was released, I've been disappointed in the mix of the "Escape in the Millennium Falcon" cue at the end of the Battle of Hoth. The strings slicing away during the fabulous scherzo when Han and Leia escape the Snowtroopers sounded way better in the "Heroics of Luke and Han" from the original LP.

For some reason I recall the brass at the beginning of the cue to be much stronger as well.

Not surprising that peple don't, or can't, comprehend that Williams assembled a superb lstening experience with original TESB LP. Quite a few of us enjoyed the albums and didn't worry about the missing music.

It's impressive how you make it sound like it's a bad thing to prefer completism over the "listening experience" when it's such a masterful score as this. You've got rare talent, Mark. ;)

I think what we are seeing here is a battle between the people who "grew up" listening to the 2 CD OST, and the people who's first exposure was to either the Anthology or the 1997 SE.

I symphatize with Publicist and Mark. Sadly I never heard the OST of TESB, but I did own the 2 LP release of Star Wars, and while not complete and cronological , it's a fabulous album.

My first exposures to Star Wars were with the 2-LP release, and I still prefer the SE release. No comparison. Can't say I grew up with the ESB OST, but I doubt that would have changed my mind, either. There's just too much superb music missing, and because my brain does inevitably pay a little attention to what part of the movie we're listening to, I get distracted by jumping from one scene to something totally different, even if I just want to focus on the music alone.

The day I bought the 4 c.d. anthology in 1994 and heard Final Duel/Into the Death Star and all the unreleased TESB music was one of the happiest day in my life

It was really when we were in line for Star Tours at Disney World in the early 90s and I heard the music from the Trilogy playing that I decided I wanted the music. I heard "Into the Trap", ESB's Finale, Imperial March, etc. playing in the Ewok village and it began to click in my little mind that the music could exist separately from the movies. Within a Christmas or so I had the Last Crusade soundtrack, the Anthology, Jurassic Park, etc. Star Wars was the beginning of it all.

And for me. As one of this forum's younger members, I wasn't around to be there when these fantastic scores were being written, but we had the original Star Wars LPs and an old turntable growing up, and I always loved listening, even before I saw the film. Then, around the time I saw the OT, I had a friend who had at least the Star Wars SE release, and I was entranced by all the extra music. I wanted it! Within a few years, I had all three SEs, and my soundtrack collection started to grow as I realized this wasn't the only great music written for films.

By jove, i just wanted to know where the f...ing cutting points are. ;)

I neither have the time nor an aching desire to listen to ESB thrice a week. i just want to create a manageable suite and given the fact that i always liked Williams old albums, i thought it a good idea to recreate those edits.

Hiya publicist,

There's a thread on this board that tells you exactly how to re-create the TESB 2LP from the 1994/1997 CDs.

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9006

I'll also PM you the rip I have of the 2LP straight from the vinyl