Star Trek 3 The Search for Spock now available for pre-order!

Delorean90

Label:

Name: FILM SCORE MONTHLY

Number: FSM801292

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)

Expanded Edition

Composed by: James Horner

SHIPPING JUNE 1st!

When FSM released the long-awaited expanded edition of James Horner's Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) in 2009, it didn't take a Vulcan scientist to assume that the score's companion piece, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984), might also see the light of day. FSM delivers—thanks to the good graces of Paramount Pictures and Capitol Records.

James Horner's Star Trek III continues his superlative work for the Final Frontier, with emotional developments of the B-theme (the "Enterprise theme") and Spock's theme from the earlier film, as well as exotic atmospheres for the all-important Vulcan mysticism that drives the story. The film's villains, the Klingons, receive a new theme with exciting barbaric instrumentation. From the grand "space opera" setpieces ("Stealing the Enterprise," "Bird of Prey Decloaks") to intimate, spiritual moments ("The Mind-Meld," "Returning to Vulcan"), Horner's Star Trek III is one of the finest scores in the Star Trek canon.

The Star Trek III soundtrack has been available before but only in a 43-minute LP sequence. FSM's 2CD set features two programs, both newly mastered from recording engineer Dan Wallin's first-generation digital film mixes: Disc one features the complete score as intended for the film itself, including such long-desired cues as "Grissom Destroyed," "A Fighting Chance to Live" (featuring the Enterprise's self-destruct countdown and immolation in Genesis's atmosphere) and "Genesis Destroyed." In addition, previously unreleased film versions of cues such as "Klingons" and "Stealing the Enterprise" make their premiere, with differences that are subtle but noticeable to devoted fans. Disc two features a recreation (in better sound quality) of the familiar LP sequence—complete with Group 87's pop version of "The Search for Spock."

The 20-page booklet features liner notes by Jeff Bond and Lukas Kendall and colorful art direction by Joe Sikoryak. Climb the steps of Mount Seleya today!

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

DISC 1: Film Score

1. Prologue and Main Title 6:30

2. Klingons 5:57

3. Spock's Cabin 1:40

4. The Klingon's Plan 1:01

5. The Mind-Meld 2:31

6. Stealing the Enterprise 8:39

7. Grissom Destroyed 1:02

8. Sunset on Genesis 2:17

9. Spock Endures Pon Farr 3:04

10. Bird of Prey Decloaks 3:47

11. A Fighting Chance to Live 3:52

12. Genesis Destroyed 2:42

13. Returning to Vulcan 4:56

14. The Katra Ritual 4:30

15. End Titles 6:13

16. That Old Black Magic/Tangerine/I Remember You (Bar Source) 10:32

Total Time: 69:45

DISC 2: Soundtrack Album

1. Prologue and Main Title* 6:29

2. Klingons* 5:56

3. Stealing the Enterprise* 8:34

4. The Mind-Meld 2:31

5. Bird of Prey Decloaks 3:46

6. Returning to Vulcan* 4:53

7. The Katra Ritual 4:30

8. End Titles 6:13

9. The Search for Spock: Theme From Star Trek III (Performed by Group 87) 3:42

Total Time: 46:57

*Contains different versions than in film.

454_984399.jpg

454_984399.jpg

http://www.screenarc...EARCH-FOR-SPOCK

http://www.filmscore...arch-for-Spock/

Now THERE'S a surprise. ;)

I don't think I'll be ordering this, simply because most of the score's best moments are from TWOK, in my opinion. But I really appreciate FSM releasing this, as I know there are a lot of folks here and elsewhere who've been looking forward to it.

I don't think I'll be ordering this, simply because most of the score's best moments are from TWOK, in my opinion. But I really appreciate FSM releasing this, as I know there are a lot of folks here and elsewhere who've been looking forward to it.

Please don't take this the wrong way.

It's your choice but I wouldn't assume the best moments are from TWOK. It's not as redundant as you think.

It's your choice but I wouldn't assume the best moments are from TWOK. It's not as redundant as you think.

Yeah, Data, check out the sound samples at least.

I listened to the soundclips and I must say they sound terrific!

Some exciting new material also in there. Ah, that's how an album has to be made....

Mark and Henry: I did indeed listen to the samples, and I just recently re-watched the film, paying especially close attention to the music in an attempt to appreciate it more. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Horner did a bad job...actually, considering it's Horner, it's a miracle there's as much new music as there is. And in a sequel score, of all things! ;) Anyway, I certainly don't blame y'all for wanting to buy this. It's just not a score that appeals to me all that much. Perhaps I'll change my mind eventually, but for now, it's probably for the best anyway. Trying to save money, after all.

But the bottom line is that it's so awesome that FSM and the other labels are getting to release scores like these...not to mention the fact that they do it right! Music in films these days may be generally underwhelming, but at least we get to look forward to the variety of excellent scores to older films that are getting released each year.

Speaking of which...boy, am I glad I bought ID4! ;)

Damn I just placed an order with SAE last week. Well I guess I'll order Lost Season 5 from them instead of Varese and throw that in with ST III.

Why wouldn't you order Lost Season 5 from amazon.com? It's only $13.99 there instead of full retail, and you get free shipping!

This is up for order now at www.moviemusic.com, where you can get $1 shipping if you order with 2 other titles

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/startrek3-fsm

Yes, I bought from SAE last week as well, to get Brave Little Toaster before it sells out (which it apparently hasn't), but I won't get it until The Concert: John Barry is released. At least Blazing Saddles should show up this week.

Why wouldn't you order Lost Season 5 from amazon.com? It's only $13.99 there instead of full retail, and you get free shipping!

This is up for order now at www.moviemusic.com, where you can get $1 shipping if you order with 2 other titles

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/startrek3-fsm

I only order from the labels.

Cool, good thing it's unlimited too, I've just spent a lot for the McCartney tickets, so I'll order it later in the year, I'll probably wait until I see what LLL's Comicon releases are.

And there shouldn't be ANY complaints from anyone as they gave us both the original album and film versions.

And there shouldn't be ANY complaints from anyone as they gave us both the original album and film versions.

Excellent, because I don't have the original album. ;)

Karol

Well I take that back, 1 post at FSM is a complaint.

I am pleased that it includes the original album. I copied a friend's OST in college and never made the attempt to replace it with a legit copy.

Wow what a hell of a thing to wake up to!!! I'm definitely ordering myself a copy. By the way Joe (Datameister) please do us a favor and buy the CD. We promise you you'll enjoy it. Yes Horner used the main theme in this one from Star Trek 2, which was fitting since it was practically a continuation from Star Trek 2, however, this score is still awesome on its own. We promise you won't regret it.

Edit: Nice to see Disc 2 is the OST. I can toss my CD-R version of the OST that GNP produced.

Outstanding!

I'll order it this week.

I hope they will be able to do more of the Trek scores.

A FSM produced complete TMP would be a dream come true.

The label doesn't matter, it's Mike Matessino that make ST2 and ST3 excellent releases. No matter which label gets the rights to do a complete ST1, as long as they hire Mike it will be a great CD

Outstanding!

I'll order it this week.

There may be a possibility of more Trek scores later this year.

According to some rumors floating around.

I'm glad the old OST is included as well, I am going to keep my old one (for sentimental reasons). I got that old disc along with the Japanese Temple of Doom from my gf in 10th grade. She found them both chilling at Tower Records in NY. She gave them to me for Christmas saying "I knew you liked soundtracks, and I don't think you have these". I about fainted, they were so damn hard to find even back then. I married that one.

Outstanding!

I'll order it this week.

The label doesn't matter, it's Mike Matessino that make ST2 and ST3 excellent releases. No matter which label gets the rights to do a complete ST1, as long as they hire Mike it will be a great CD

You're short changing the work of everyone else that worked on these albums. They are a team effort.

Neil

There'll always be one. Always.

And apparently there are those who aren't happy Varese is only doing one CD next Monday.

Fanboys, I swear.......

Unfortunately that's what's bad about being part of a message board. You'll always have someone that will bitch about a CD release.

Outstanding!

I'll order it this week.

You're short changing the work of everyone else that worked on these albums. They are a team effort.

Neil

Neil, you are absolutely right. I will rephrase: FSM has done a great job on the ST2 and ST3 albums, but if another label gets ST1, I'm sure if they hire the right people it will be just as fabulous of a release as ST2 and ST3.

I like the fact that ST III, like ST II, is unlimited. Nobody has to feel pressured into buying it this week but giving up food or gas money. It'll be there in a few weeks or months, or you can wait to ask "Santa" for it. We do quite enough arm twisting for the limited releases (*cough* Superman *cough*) in this place.

I like the fact that ST III, like ST II, is unlimited. Nobody has to feel pressured into buying it this week but giving up food or gas money. It'll be there in a few weeks or months, or you can wait to ask "Santa" for it. We do quite enough arm twisting for the limited releases (*cough* Superman *cough*) in this place.

Very true on that. Glad that this is a non limited release like Star Trek II. I am still ordered it through Peter and I get paid on June 2nd. So I can wait another week or so before it gets here.

This is funny this got released today...yesterday I PMed Mike Matessino about it on Facebook in regards to his comment about the Nimoy voice over in the Main Titles wondering if that was firm confirmation FSM was working on it. If that was the case if it would be out at Comic Con. He replied back saying that Lukas was working on it and that he suspected it would be out before Comic Con. I didn't realize it would be released today though!

Here's hoping the rest of the Star Trek scores follow suit this year and the next few years.

What the hell!?!?!? People on FSM are bitching about the extra $5 because they included the OST presentation of the score. Seriously if people are really that upset because of that, then they shouldn't buy the damn CD and quit pissing on everyone else' enjoyment of this great release!

Indeed. The best moment is actually from Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet. ;)

Order commencing...

I don't care about unlimited, I ordered as soon as I saw the link. Not waiting for this one.

I'd snap it up straight away if I hadn't already bought six CDs already this month.

Part of the arm twisting is so people don't miss out on limited editions.

I don't care about unlimited, I ordered as soon as I saw the link. Not waiting for this one.

I'd snap it up straight away if I hadn't already bought six CDs already this month.

I took a bunch of DVDs and a game I didn't want any more to Hastings today. I was thinking about picking up one of the full price PS3 games I've been wanting to get, but I went ahead and ordered this and will hang on to the credit and use it after I get paid again. Like I said, I'm not waiting for this any longer than I have to.

What the hell!?!?!? People on FSM are bitching about the extra $5 because they included the OST presentation of the score. Seriously if people are really that upset because of that, then they shouldn't buy the damn CD and quit pissing on everyone else' enjoyment of this great release!

If Lukas hadn't included the original LP, then there would be people complaining that the score was missing the album versions. TWOK didn't have that problem, all of the album cues were the same in the film, not counting the few seconds of ambiance in the Mutara Nebula cue.

Frankly there's one particular poster who makes it a habit of complaining about 2 disc score / album presentations jumping in that thread. No it's not Thor.

I understand financial needs but CDs are a luxury.

SAE's announcement email just came along, with some other classic SF scores.

I didn't realize The Time Machine had an FSM release. I thought I had found a bargain when I found the 1987 GNP/Crescendo album sealed at a used bookstore for less than $7.