Star Trek 3 The Search for Spock now available for pre-order!

Delorean90

What the hell!?!?!? People on FSM are bitching about the extra $5 because they included the OST presentation of the score. Seriously if people are really that upset because of that, then they shouldn't buy the damn CD and quit pissing on everyone else' enjoyment of this great release!

If Lukas hadn't included the original LP, then there would be people complaining that the score was missing the album versions. TWOK didn't have that problem, all of the album cues were the same in the film, not counting the few seconds of ambiance in the Mutara Nebula cue.

Frankly there's one particular poster who makes it a habit of complaining about 2 disc score / album presentations jumping in that thread. No it's not Thor.

I understand financial needs but CDs are a luxury.

What's the difference between film and album versions. Different takes or just edits?

Karol

If Lukas hadn't included the original LP, then there would be people complaining that the score was missing the album versions. TWOK didn't have that problem, all of the album cues were the same in the film, not counting the few seconds of ambiance in the Mutara Nebula cue.

Frankly there's one particular poster who makes it a habit of complaining about 2 disc score / album presentations jumping in that thread. No it's not Thor.

Hmmm okay about the poster, not surprising there's someone like that.

You're quite right about the first part of your post. I'm glad that with Star Trek II they included that insert at the end of "Battle In The Mutara Nebula" before Khan's theme came in. FSM's version of Star Trek II completely blows GNP's out of the water...not only because of the mix but the new material.

Same for Star Trek III judging by the samples. It seems the mix is natural like it should be. Who ever in the hell mixed the GNP CD's, I hope doesn't mix CD's any more.

Even if financially difficult times, it's only a 5 Dollar difference....

This is true.

What's the difference between film and album versions. Different takes or just edits?

They're alternate takes.

What the hell!?!?!? People on FSM are bitching about the extra $5 because they included the OST presentation of the score. Seriously if people are really that upset because of that, then they shouldn't buy the damn CD and quit pissing on everyone else' enjoyment of this great release!

Karol

Different takes, extra music, less music.

Hmmm okay about the poster, not surprising there's someone like that.

You're quite right about the first part of your post. I'm glad that with Star Trek II they included that insert at the end of "Battle In The Mutara Nebula" before Khan's theme came in. FSM's version of Star Trek II completely blows GNP's out of the water...not only because of the mix but the new material.

Same for Star Trek III judging by the samples. It seems the mix is natural like it should be. Who ever in the hell mixed the GNP CD's, I hope doesn't mix CD's any more.

Maybe they didn't have access to the film masters, only the LP masters. I always thought the OST was great for its time. Although it does seem a running theme to immediately bash an old record once an improved one comes out (not referring to you TB, just in general), as if we'd only ever put up with it because we were waiting for a new one. I'm kinda sad that people seem to think that way about the Rhino SUPERMAN, and whilst the FSM box may have superior quality, I've still had a hell of a lot of enjoyment from that disc. And I still do, at least until I can afford the Blue Box or S:TM gets released separately (unlikely, I know).

Different takes, extra music, less music.

Theremin alternate takes.

They are essential then. If so, the discussion about the contents is futile. Full stop.

Karol

This release is most logical.

Glad it's unlimited. I'll have to pick this up along with Trek II sometime in the next couple months.

This release is most logical.

Glad it's unlimited. I'll have to pick this up along with Trek II sometime in the next couple months.

Definitely do so you won't regret buying them.

I knew Star Trek II by heart from seeing the film so many times over. However, it was still a joy to hear the unreleased music. Especially for "Kirk In Space Shuttle", "Kirk Takes Command", "Enterprise Attacks Reliant" and such outside of the film for the first time.

It was a very good purchase (TWOK). I thought the original album was just fine, but the expansion actually made this score even better.

Karol

I think III is going to contain more surprises than II. There's some tracking in the final film IIRC, maybe some unused cues will now see the light of day.

I think III is going to contain more surprises than II. There's some tracking in the final film IIRC, maybe some unused cues will now see the light of day.

Ya there was some tracking in the film. "Kirk's Promise" for example was tracked from "Spock Endures The Pon Farr" (the part after the Enterprise arrives in the Mutara sector) and from the end of "The Klingon's Plan". All though it's possible no music was ever written for that sequence.

Fifth version of this score for me. Cassette in '85, LP in '86, UK CD in '90, US CD in '91, and now this expanded score.

With the job done on remixing TWOK (much clearer than GNP CD or Atlantic LP and Cassette), I am looking forward to listening to this in toto. No samples for me.

I wonder do the wankers on the FSM board realize that the score, alternate takes, source music, and the techno-version of the theme won't fit on one disc?

Fifth version of this score for me. Cassette in '85, LP in '86, UK CD in '90, US CD in '91, and now this expanded score.

With the job done on remixing TWOK (much clearer than GNP CD or Atlantic LP and Cassette), I am looking forward to listening to this in toto. No samples for me.

I wonder do the wankers on the FSM board realize that the score, alternate takes, source music, and the techno-version of the theme won't fit on one disc?

I think someone pointed that out.

Most of the people over on FSM are actually not complaining. I think maybe 1 or 2 at the most.

I have the Silva release, and the GNP release (which includes the horrid Pop version of the theme).

This complete release is such a Holy Grail to me, it's not even funny.

As far as Star Trek goes, there are 3 other releases I want:

1. Star Trek (2009) Complete/Expanded

Some of the cue omissions from this border on being artistically criminal.

2. Star Trek V Complete/Expanded

Some of the cues not released are great fun and beautiful.

3. Star Trek TMP Complete

Lowest proority for me, though this score easily deserves the kind of treatment Intrada gave Alien.

I just want Star Trek V, but I'll be honest. I would have bought a Superman-style anthology of all the Star Trek scores.

Same here. But Trek's II and III make great companion pieces, and produced stylistically similar.

Star Trek IV would be nice too. There are a couple unreleased pieces like the Vulcan cue early in the film and reportedly an alternate main title that uses the TV series theme in full.

I want all the Treks to get a complete release at some point, even the lesser ones.

And yes Henry, I don't know if that alternate main title for IV was recorded or not, but it was written from what I've heard and I'd love to hear it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the rest of the first 6 Trek scores see a release later on this year and continue into 2011.

I'll order this. I've always said the finest piece of Star Trek music is from S4S.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the rest of the first 6 Trek scores see a release later on this year and continue into 2011.

I know there's rumors that V is on the way. For some reason I've got a gut feeling LaLa might be the one handling one or more of the future ones.

I don't think I'll be ordering this, simply because most of the score's best moments are from TWOK, in my opinion.

As far as I remember, the best moments, for me, are the prologue and the rendition of the Courage theme right before the end credits. Both are not from TWOK.

Personally I'm absolutely outraged there isn't a 3rd Disc to this set containing the rare

(but known to exist) recording session of a

version of Stealing the Enterprise. :angry:

FSM Should hang their heads in shame (and contemplate this ommision on the tree of Woe, while they're at it) :P

Melange ~ Knows there's a...'thing' out there.....headed this way ;)

As someone who loves Horner's WoK, would you guys recommend this release? I saw Search for Spock a long time ago, and I don't remember much about the score.

The Enterprise's arrival at Spacedock has always been one of my favorite Trek cues, it's stunningly beautiful and a bit sad at the same time. And of course Stealing the Enterprise, the highlight of the score.

As someone who loves Horner's WoK, would you guys recommend this release? I saw Search for Spock a long time ago, and I don't remember much about the score.

Yes definitely! The best moments were left off the OST.

If you like TWOK you're fairly certain to enjoy SFS. They are like sister scores. SFS is less action-y, like the movie itself. But just as full of exhilarating moments. And fantastic quiet ones.

I can't understand this damn fanboy bitching at FSM.

WTH is going on?! We are getting winderfoul releases and those kidies are wining about 5 bucks!!

The Enterprise's arrival at Spacedock has always been one of my favorite Trek cues, it's stunningly beautiful and a bit sad at the same time. And of course Stealing the Enterprise, the highlight of the score.

"A Fighting Chance To Live" and "Genesis Destroyed" are the two I'm really looking forward to.

Lol The complaining makes no sense. I think the extra disc makes it perfect. Especially that is remastered. And I would also say that if anyone is unfamiliar with this, and on the fence, buy it anyway. It really is amazing. I think Jason is spot on with the sister score comment. It would wager it will enhance your love for WOK. These 2 really are easily some of Horner's very best.

Star Trek II and III are definitely Horner's absolute two best scores he has ever done. I think when I get my copy of Star Trek III, I'll listen to Star Trek II first then Star Trek III.

The ship appears to be run by computer. It is the only thing speaking.

Speaking? Let me hear ...

8.... 7.... 6.... 5...

Destruct 1B2B3.

Zero ... Zero ... Zero ... Destruct ...... Zero.

BTW, Ordered. :P

So I went to bed last night, and woke up this morning to find my lady had ordered this for me (as we use her credit card she gets SAE emails.) This is why I have the coolest wife ever.

Destruct 1B2B3.

'Thanks a lot Koenig, now everybody knows!'

Nobody read the press release at SAE?

Shipping June 1st.

Read? On the internet? Shirley, you jest.

I'm not jesting, and don't call me Shirley.