Star Trek 3 The Search for Spock now available for pre-order!

Delorean90

Mine shipped this morning.

I got a brief email stating that they were shipping over 2000 of them.

Same here.

For those who have received it already: what, no extensive reviews yet?

As for mine: got a tracking number yesterday, but USPS doesn't show it as having shipped yet. I'm thinking next Wednesday, at the earliest. Darn.

You're being kind, Trent. Over the years, I have seen too many examples of USPS not updating tracking information from when they accept a package until after it has been delivered.

Yesterday, when I typed in the tracking number, USPS reported that the number did not exist in their system. Today, it reports that they are expecting the package for shipment.

When I first ordered III on CD (in 1990) from the UK, I also placed an order for something that shipped from NYC via USPS on the same day. Guess which got to me first. If I receive the expanded III before next Wednesday, I shall be pleasantly surprised. Just don't expect me to hang out at the mailbox waiting for it.

For those who have received it already: what, no extensive reviews yet?

No reviews of any kind yet. Most peculiar.

NBA Finals occupied most of my time last night.

But I did sneak in a listen or two before the game started. As Lukas Kendall pointed out at FSM, I was surprised "A Fighting Chance to Live" is one continuous cue.

Also noticed how different the two "Klingons" cues are on each album. Even when both eventually sync up, there's still quite a bit of difference. I think "Stealing the Enterprise" is the same on both albums, minus the strings being dialed out at the begining.

I think "Stealing the Enterprise" is the same on both albums, minus the strings being dialed out at the begining.

The liner notes detail exactly how "Stealing the Enterprise" was assembled.

Neil

I think "Stealing the Enterprise" is the same on both albums, minus the strings being dialed out at the begining.

Neil

I didn't read the liner notes yet. ;)

Neil

Obviously. ;)

Neil

NBA Finals occupied most of my time last night.

But I did sneak in a listen or two before the game started. As Lukas Kendall pointed out at FSM, I was surprised "A Fighting Chance to Live" is one continuous cue.

Also noticed how different the two "Klingons" cues are on each album. Even when both eventually sync up, there's still quite a bit of difference. I think "Stealing the Enterprise" is the same on both albums, minus the strings being dialed out at the begining.

oh was the rapist on tv last night?

How long from order to getting the order?

Neil

Obviously. ;)

Neil

I promise to read them tonight.

oh was the rapist on tv last night?

Yes the Lakers were on last night.

How long from order to getting the order?

I ordered the day the CD was announced, mine shipped on Tuesday and it arrived on Thursday.

My copy arrived yesterday, but as I was at work all day and evening I am only now just giving it a first listen. So far I am enjoying it very much. There is lots of "new" stuff here to enjoy.

Got this yesterday morning. Absolutely amazing. Been listening to it non stop. Huge thanks to Neil and Mike and eveyone involved. Can't thank you enough really, you guys are literally making dreams come true.

Our office is closed on Saturdays, so supposedly they left a notice, according to tracking. First time one of my CD orders has ever had that happen to it. No sign of the "notice" they supposedly left. Hoping they just plop it in today's mail, but we'll see. May have to swing by the post office after work. Which is frustrating. Sigh.

I did indeed get two packages today. Thanks a bunch Mark, and thanks to Lukas, Mike, Neil and co. at FSM for another fantastic Star Trek release!

What did you get?

I didn't get one with ST: III. I got one for The Alamo.

It's one that's laid out horizontal instead of vertical, cream colored with a small SAE logo and says "Bringing you the finest in motion picture FILM SCORES".

What did you get?

I didn't get one with ST: III. I got one for The Alamo.

It's one that's laid out horizontal instead of vertical, cream colored with a small SAE logo and says "Bringing you the finest in motion picture FILM SCORES".

I have a vertical one that is similar.

May I just say it's a great listen, in a much different way than TWOK is though. That one I knew quite well, before buying expanded edition. It was a revelation, of course, but not to the extent that this release is. SFS is something I listened to only a couple of times, always kind of discarding it as a TWOK vol. 2. At least that's how it appears on the original album. It couldn't be much further from the truth. The score is in many ways even more intriguing to listen to, for there is more happening here musically than it seems at first glance. Many interesting instrumental choices. I like it being more subdued as well. It feels more s-f, whereas TWOK is more swashbuckling. And yeah, "Stealing the Enterprise" cue as heard in the film is better, for it sounds less like Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet now. ;)

And yes, like many people, I already created ST II & III playlist on my iPod (scores as heard in the films with no alternates or source music) and it's works wonderfully well as a 126-minute one big score. As if it was always meant to be that way.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. :lol:

Karol

Good man, croc. It took me a while to get into it too (years ago), but ever since I did I've always championed it as a highly underrated score.

I still want to know what was in Horner's Wheaties when he wrote these.

I disagree, but maybe I'll be fortunate enough to have a similar change of heart eventually. :lol:

But yes, I want to know what Horner was smoking, especially during TWOK! Even as one of his early scores, it's not bereft of self-plagiarism...yet the music is so irresistibly good.

I hear less plagiarism in SFS, actually. Or maybe I'm just over-enthusiastic now. :lol:

Karol - who also got a magnet with "finest scores" tagline.

That's one of the things that impresses me most about III- it sounds completely distinct and fresh from II, yet is obviously a sequel score to it. So un-Hornerlike.

I love that it's so somber, in counterpoint to TWOK's rousing swashbuckling style. A lot of SFS deals with the fallout from that movie, and the music really reflects that, but doesn't skimp on the swashbuckling when our heroes decide it's time to act. One of my favourite parts is just after the main title ends, an amazingly reflective piece that underscores the opening shot of the Enterprise that does a great job in summing up the mood post-TWOK to a tee, and then following Kirk's log. It's less flashy, but it's no less emotional, perhaps it's even more so.

I hear less plagiarism in SFS, actually.

Well, the TSFS main theme is right out of Battle Beyond the Stars, just like it was in TWOK. And I'm sure there's other stuff. But on the whole, you're probably right. I just enjoy TWOK a lot more. :lol:

EDIT: I think you've summed up the "feel" of the score very well, Charlie. I definitely agree with your description, and I think both are equally appropriate to their respective films. I just happen to prefer the swashbuckling TWOK over the brooding SFS, no matter whether we're talking film or score.

I can see why. It's more easily enjoyable. From what I understand you didn't hear any of the music from the new release. I think you should a least give it a listen to make up your mind. It really feels different.

Karol

No, I've listened to the previously unreleased music, both as an isolated "test drive" and just by watching the film again. I still feel the same way. But again, perhaps I'll be fortunate enough to feel differently at some point in the future. :lol: And, as I've said before, I applaud FSM for releasing this, because I know it's an important score to a lot of folks, and it certainly bodes well for future releases. I love that all this stuff is getting the releases it deserves.

One of my favourite parts is just after the main title ends, an amazingly reflective piece that underscores the opening shot of the Enterprise that does a great job in summing up the mood post-TWOK to a tee, and then following Kirk's log. It's less flashy, but it's no less emotional, perhaps it's even more so.

That is great Charlie, but even more I love the last part of Klingons when the Enterprise docks at Spacedock. It's all there: the "we're home" relief, tinged with the sad melancholy of the loss suffered on the way.