Haha brilliant.

108 pages later and I can't believe the show is over. I'm very thankful for the great excitement and entertainment it's given me over the years. Thanks LOST!

Things I think the writers do have definitive answers to that I am bummed they didn't find time to include in the show itself that I hope they explain in some medium in the future (the Lost Encyclopedia, novels or comic books, etc):

-How the supply drop is season 2 happened

-Who shot at our heroes on the outriggers in season 5

-How Ilana ended up in the Russian hospital

-What the writers' original plan / character arc for Mr. Eko was

-What Jacob meant by "They're coming"

Things I don't think the writers ever fully fleshed out and doubt will ever get answered, and this disappoints me:

-Widmore!! Was Ben correct that he wanted to "exploit the island"? Or was Ben wrong, and if so than what were Widmore's motivations for wanting to find the island for so many years and what was he planning on doing when he got there, etc.

-How Libby ended up in the mental institution

-How and when the temple was built

-How and when the Tawaret statue was built

-How and when the "plug room" was built

-Why there is so much Egyptian hyroglyphics on the island

-How Jacob's cabin and the ash circle worked, who was in there at different times and for what reasons. The whole "Help me" thing

-I assume Miles got his special powers because he was born on the island. But how did Hurley and Walt get their powers? Did the island give it to them once they arrived there? Why?

Here's something I want to know:

When Locke is in the frozen cavern at some early point in time - it can't be later than 1867, because the Tawaret statue is still standing - how is it that Christian appears to him and downloads a whole bunch of information about circumstances in 2007 and how did he know Locke would end up in 2007 before he had even turned the wheel?

I smell a plot hole.

I don't think this was posted in the first thread:

Lost finale explained by a former Lost writer

Even as a casual fan and occasional critic I found this a very informative, persuasive, and satisfying read. Hat tip to Mr. Barnsbury who posted it on his FB account.

When Locke is in the frozen cavern at some early point in time - it can't be later than 1867, because the Tawaret statue is still standing - how is it that Christian appears to him and downloads a whole bunch of information about circumstances in 2007 and how did he know Locke would end up in 2007 before he had even turned the wheel?

I smell a plot hole.

Maybe the MIB moved in time along with the castaways? Or he can move in time at will. Time is a pretty relative thing on the island, anyway.

I smell a plot hole.

Maybe the MIB moved in time along with the castaways? Or he can move in time at will. Time is a pretty relative thing on the island, anyway.

Yeah there was a pretty solid theory I read that the MIB actually did time travel with the Losties, which is why he was able to interact with Locke as Christian. It also cleared up some of that cabin business, which is maybe the biggest mystery that I wanted to see addressed.

'Lost' exclusive: ABC sets the record straight about the series finale's plane crash images

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2010/05/lost-exclusive-abc-sets-the-record-straight-about-the-series-finales-plane-crash-images.html

Mr. Eko turned down large amounts of money to return for the finale

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b182536_losts_mr_eko_turned_down_finale_guest.html

MIB's name was supposed to be Samuel, but they chose not to reveal that in the end:

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b182533_lost_want_know_man_in_blacks_real_name.html

DVD will feature a 12 minute Hurley/Ben epilogue not aired with the finale

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b183100_lost_epilogue_with_hurley_ben_revealed.html

Awesome reset, Marc!

I'll just repeat my own list of questions that I think deserved answering. I totally buy their Force-Midichlorians & for-each-answer-there's-another-question, and fully agree with that, but there are loads of stuff you can tell they know the answers for, and it's too bad they just didn't bother answering them here and there in the final season, in order to tie more loose ends in the end (e.g. the "Rules"), not in the sense that I thought the finale was crap, because I liked it well enough, but in the sense that it could have been more perfect. They took away the focus on the finale a bit, I found.

Anyway, here's my list, in case some of them have been answered outside the show, or you guys have some good theories:

- Whose are the bodies in the cave when Locke goes to save Eko? (What's with the toy truck?)

- Who appeared at the window when Hurley peeked into the cabin?

- What's with the glass eye they found in The Arrow?

- Who was shooting at Sawyer et al. in the outriggers?

- What's the significance of the volcano on the island?

- What was the event happening in the scene with young Ben in the classroom?

- What's with the ash that kept the smoke monster out? Where does it come from?

- How come suddenly it's not the ash that keeps Smokey out, but Dogen?

- Who installs the wheel?

Slightly larger issues:

- The various kinds of 'appearances'. There are three or four:

1) Smokey disguises as dead people

2) The actual dead people appear to Hurley

3) What about Walt? (His appearance to Shannon & to Locke) In the first case, he gets Shannon killed, in the second he advances MiB's plot?

4) Is Walt's ability to appear similar to Jacob's ability to appear to everyone (and not just Hurley)? Why as a kid when everybody can see him, why as an adult when only Hurley can see him?

- The timeline: there are hieroglyphs everywhere, so I assume most of the Island's ancient structures have been built by the time the Romans arrived (since Ancient Egypt comes before Rome), but the Romans (& MiB?) didn't seem to be aware of that?

- Why is Walt special?

- Is there something special about animals or some of the animals? What's with the birds that die in Walt's proximity? Why should we 'study' Egyptian birds? Why did Dharma experiment on the animals? Does Walt's dog know more? The shark? Why that bird when Richard was in chains in the Black Rock?

The whole "Help me" thing

I thought that was MiB influencing Locke for his loophole scheme.

Well, Smokey can see inside everyone's heads: the Smoke shows people 'images' & MiB could describe Locke's thoughts in detail. Perhaps his loophole scheme originated as far back as that event. But I think he just could travel in time, too. The power/force responsible for the island skipping is after all the same that's transformed him/is part of him.

-What Jacob meant by "They're coming"

I think it's clear that he meant the candidates. MIB had Locke turn the wheel to get them stuck in Dharmaville, which meant he was free to do what he wanted in 2007. If they had never detonated Jughead, he would most likely have succeeded.

-How Libby ended up in the mental institution

I'm pretty sure I've told you the answer to this more than once. They answered it off-air awhile ago. Libby's husband died, she "lost her mind" a bit, and spent some time in the hospital voluntarily. She then got out, and her run-in with Desmond was shortly after. Hugo and her being in the same place was the equivalent of say Sawyer bumping into Christian and Ana Lucia in Australia.

-How Jacob's cabin and the ash circle worked, who was in there at different times and for what reasons. The whole "Help me" thing

I think Jacob somehow trapped the MIB in the cabin a long time ago, with the ash. The circle was broken, and he was able to go in and out freely. If you refer to the LOST "writer" who explained that Ben was his pawn from the very beginning, it makes sense. He would pose himself as Jacob and order Ben what to do. When Locke was in there, the "Help me" was the MIB's way to gain his trust, or attention, either way. He then appeared to him as Walt shortly after.

I'm pretty sure the times Walt appeared, especially to Shannon, was actually Walt because he was known to be able to "be places he wasn't supposed to" and MIB can only take the forms of dead people. I think he astrally projected himself to Shannon in the jungle (probably unconsciously) and probably to Locke as well.

If ABC ever does decide to do another show, I wouldn't mind an adult Walt to be involved in someway. Perhaps a victim of a plane crash that is all too familiar with the island that the new group of castaways have crashed onto. It'd have to be some time in the future, but it could be a good way to explain some things that were forgotten or excised due to unforeseen reasons (not that the writers shouldn't have realized that the kid was going to age :D). Having another group on the island akin to Dharma, having taking up residency to do similar testing, could be fun and at least would peak my interest.

I'm not saying ABC should do it, but since I just read that they're thinking about redoing Alias (it's been less than a decade :P) I'm sure that another Lost is not too far away.

I was satisfied with how they ended it, but the incredible amount of stuff they never explained kind of pushes the series into a direction I didn't want to see: "here's a weird island where weird scientific shit happens and we're just going to keep teasing you while not really explaining the basis behind any of it".

I definitely prefer the earlier seasons, where the show was purely about survival, the most amazing character exploration and development, and faith vs science. Around the season 4-5 mark it really started getting weird with the imprisonement, (was 'fish biscuit' season 3 or 4?).

Anyway, here's my list, in case some of them have been answered outside the show, or you guys have some good theories:

I think that many of these questions aren't so important to understand (and enjoy) the meaning of the series. Most of them I guess are first and foremost plot devices conceived to push the storytelling forward. Some of them got stuck in many viewers' head as capital clues/hints about the bigger picture, but as the old saying goes "A lot of us misses the forest for the trees"... :D However, I'll give it a try! :P

- Whose are the bodies in the cave when Locke goes to save Eko? (What's with the toy truck?)

MIA. I guess they were part of the Dharma Initiative, maybe some people who were able to escape from Ben's Purge.

The Man In Black. My theory is that Jacob trapped him in the cabin (hence the circle of ash surrounding it) to keep him at bay. However, someone helped him to escape.

- What's with the glass eye they found in The Arrow?

I don't know if this was ever officially addressed, but I always thought it was Mikhail's.

- Who was shooting at Sawyer et al. in the outriggers?

Officially MIA. This was one of the things Lindelof & Cuse admittedly eskewed because of the lack of time, but they know who were there. However, to me it has been always pretty likely they could have been the Ajira people (Ilana & Bram, along with Lapidus and Sun), when traveling from the Hydra Island from the main Island.

- What's the significance of the volcano on the island?

Another official MIA. Apparently, there was a storyline conceived for that, but they never succeeded into merging it into the show. In the end, I guess it could very well be tied with the electromagnetic force contained within the Source (when Desmond uncorked the Source, everything turned lava-red).

- What was the event happening in the scene with young Ben in the classroom?

Again, it was probably something related to the volcano, but I think it could have been also the Dharma messing up with the pocket of electromagnetic energy at the Swan station location.

- What's with the ash that kept the smoke monster out? Where does it come from?

Maybe it was part of Jacob's tricks, or rules, he conceived to keep the MIB at bay. I prefer this to be left in the more supernatural side of things.

- How come suddenly it's not the ash that keeps Smokey out, but Dogen?

I guess Dogen was given some special skills by Jacob. He was selected to be the custodian of the Temple, I guess. Maybe he gave him some powers that rendered him more resistant to Smokey.

- Who installs the wheel?

Good question. I guess the people who came after the Roman period we saw, maybe instructed by the MIB himself. Everyone who comes to the Island seem to arrive to the point where there's someone wanting to exploit its supernatural/mystical qualities. It's clear that Smokey tried several times to escape from the Island.

Slightly larger issues:

- The various kinds of 'appearances'. There are three or four:

1) Smokey disguises as dead people

2) The actual dead people appear to Hurley

3) What about Walt? (His appearance to Shannon & to Locke) In the first case, he gets Shannon killed, in the second he advances MiB's plot?

4) Is Walt's ability to appear similar to Jacob's ability to appear to everyone (and not just Hurley)? Why as a kid when everybody can see him, why as an adult when only Hurley can see him?

As in every "ghost story", all the kind of ghost appearences are very hard to explain in a literal way. Ghosts appear with no apparent reason ine very ghost story. They're always a Deus Ex Machina device in storytelling. We know the MIB has the skill to take the resemblance of dead people. Why? It's not clear, I guess it was a skill he was able to understand and exploit during the course of the centuries he was on the Island.

- The timeline: there are hieroglyphs everywhere, so I assume most of the Island's ancient structures have been built by the time the Romans arrived (since Ancient Egypt comes before Rome), but the Romans (& MiB?) didn't seem to be aware of that?

We saw very very little of the so-called "Roman" period and it would have been cool to have seen more. That's why I think that "Across the Sea" should have been a two-parter, or at least an extended episode--there's too much mythology to compress into just one single episode. However, Egyptians probably built statues, temples and other structures across the Island. They probably understood it more than any others who came later. But, hey, maybe they weren't Egyptians at all! :) My theory is that the Island is also probably tied to Atlantis.

- Why is Walt special?

Again, it's another thing the writers left purposefully ambiguous, but this probably has more to do with the problem of Malcom David Kelley's physical growth, so they basically wrote him off the show. I guess he was "special" in the same way many of the Losties are.

- Is there something special about animals or some of the animals? What's with the birds that die in Walt's proximity? Why should we 'study' Egyptian birds? Why did Dharma experiment on the animals? Does Walt's dog know more? The shark? Why that bird when Richard was in chains in the Black Rock?

Again, I guess animals were mostly used as plot devices (i.e.: "guardians of the threshold") and never meant to have a very important role in the bigger picture. However, I guess the Dharma Initiative brought animal species on the Island to test and make studies on them in this environment.

Many thanks, Maurizio, for giving my questions a shot! You pretty much confirm what I think about possible answers to those. But I want to emphasize that they don't interfere at all with my enjoyment of the series as a whole or with its meaning. Apart perhaps from some of the Egyptian mythology, which has played a large part in the Lost mystery, and it's a shame they didn't see fit to throw us a few more bones (like the skeletons in the finale, for instance :D - which I loved!).

Still, my point was that most of these small questions were - in hindsight - easy to answer in the series, and it would have made the series more perfect without much extra hassle. Perfect example: those bodies in the cave. My guess is, too, that they are there because of the Purge. Why not just insert a short scene or two in that episode, then: not much trouble + the pay-off is always great in these sort of things. It's nothing to do with the larger meaning, but purely on the level of plot, it's always satisfying to see something cleared up that's hanging there for almost a whole season or more, which has always been an important part of Lost: seeing the parts of the puzzle fall into place, but only eventually and in a larger framework (in contrast with 24 for example, which always delivers its pay-off way too soon). But because they didn't answer anything about those bodies, I constantly expected that to be answered once they arrived in Dharma times; no luck there either. For comparison's sake, the thing is: there is no way for a viewer to know (except when keeping track of podcasts and the writers' comments outside the show; though not in this case really) that those bodies were less important than the Adam and Eve bodies, so, as it happens, in my mind those bodies were almost as important.

The Man In Black. My theory is that Jacob trapped him in the cabin (hence the circle of ash surrounding it) to keep him at bay. However, someone helped him to escape.

If I remember correctly though (but correct me if I'm wrong), the Man in Black was in the cabin, but in the chair, so the person who appeared at the window was someone else?

Yeah there was a pretty solid theory I read that the MIB actually did time travel with the Losties, which is why he was able to interact with Locke as Christian.

Hmm, that could be, although that still doesn't explain how he knows about Eloise being in the church in 2007. Or did she just stay there for three years? How would he even know about Eloise being where she was if he never got off the island, nor "scanned" anyone who knew of her whereabouts at the time?

Again, it's another thing the writers left purposefully ambiguous, but this probably has more to do with the problem of Malcom David Kelley's physical growth, so they basically wrote him off the show. I guess he was "special" in the same way many of the Losties are.

I don't think any of the Losties were special, really, except Walt, Hurley (sees dead people) and Miles (hears dead people, probably because he was born on the island?).

Locke is not special except as a self-fulfilling prophecy: he goes back in time, tells Richard to look him up, Richard has his doubts but Jack tells him to give him a chance (when Jack was in his faith fase). Locke's being special was central to MiB's whole loophole plan, I believe; and it's no coincidence I guess the loophole depends on this loop. (Much like the loop of Locke's/Richard's compass.)

(Though it doesn't explain Locke's drawing of course.)

Yep.

All along we though it was Richard who knew where Locke was and what his purpose was, but in the end it was MIB who orchestrated everything.

Richard, oblivious to his true identity, thought this meant Locke was the one to lead them.

Yeah there was a pretty solid theory I read that the MIB actually did time travel with the Losties, which is why he was able to interact with Locke as Christian.

Hmm, that could be, although that still doesn't explain how he knows about Eloise being in the church in 2007. Or did she just stay there for three years? How would he even know about Eloise being where she was if he never got off the island, nor "scanned" anyone who knew of her whereabouts at the time?

He was a pretty powerful being who had access to the Others' secrets and whereabouts, I don't think it would be a problem for him to know what Eloise was up to in LA without physically going there. Also we don't know for sure if he never scanned anyone, there was a lot he did that we didn't see.

Even so, if Smokie was indeed time traveling along with our regular Losties, I'm still confused how this character from 2004 is privy to information pertaining to a situation in 2007.

Even so, if Smokie was indeed time traveling along with our regular Losties, I'm still confused how this character from 2004 is privy to information pertaining to a situation in 2007.

Most likely Smokie has a bit larger perspective on things than just the present and only the Island. I mean he could (or he was lying) tell Locke's last thoughts to Ben so either he can read dead people much like Miles or he has extraordinary perceptive abilities beyond human senses.

Well, according to Miles, a person's last thoughts gets stuck in their head when they die, so it's possible Smokie learned this from a quick scan of Locke's dead body before he his form.

Terry O'Quinn unofficially addressed that issue in an interview a few months ago. He said that he played the MIB with a little bit of John Locke in him because in inhabiting his body, he also had to co-exist with some of his memories and emotions. This is why he delivered the line where the MIB talks about John Locke's final thoughts with an ounce of sadness.

I managed to stay spoiler free since Sunday and only just watched the finale last night.

I've been in something of a daze all day.

I haven't been active in the LOST thread, but I've been following the show since...

*checks locked thread*

Wow. I started watching LOST in Feb 2008. (And gee, looking over some of my old posts is... painful.)

I haven't actively participated in theorizing and speculation, and I've only seen each episode just once.

But following these characters and this story has been quite the experience.

Going into season 6 and the finale, I had forgotten a lot. My enthusiasm for the show had waned a bit.

I wasn't looking to have any specific questions answered really, other than learning more about what was going on overall.

Season 6 didn't pull me in quite like the others had, but the old excitement eventually came back sure enough.

Ab Aeterno, and the deaths of Sun and Jin were especially moving.

And now, The End.

Amazing? Heart-wrenching? Transcendent? For me, it was.

Some deep emotions were tapped and yeah, I dropped a few tears.

It's a bittersweet experience closing the final chapter on this story.

It really did come down to the characters' journeys for me and I was left incredibly satisfied.

It felt so right when Kate and Jack said they loved each other, and that they were finally able to move on and be together.

Call me a sap but that was a real highlight for me.

There was such an uplifting spirit in the last few scenes, with John forgiving Ben and then (most) everyone together in the church.

The sense of peace, that the hell they had all shared was finally over and that they would be together with those they cared about most.

Personal healing and redemption.

Eternal relationships.

True peace only by helping others.

Powerful themes that greatly resonated with me and overpowered any problems I may have had with the presentation.

And of course, Giacchino's music played no small part and embodied all of this so wonderfully.

It causes one to think a little. To be less petty. To ponder what's most important in life.

It did for me anyway. And I'm grateful for that.

Eternal relationships.

Having to do it all over again, forgetting what you learned the first time around. :lol:

In all seriousness, though, I'm glad you enjoyed the end of The End more than I did.

I'm just happy with how good it all makes the Season 1 finale look. You know, with all the Losties boarding the plane with the Life and Death theme -- the very theme that will close the series with much different orchestration and purpose.

Oh, it definitely did - the final montage near the end of Exodus is scored with a wonderful counterpoint between the main theme and the "Life and Death" theme. I was just saying that I didn't recall the latter figuring prominently in the S6 finale. But I do remember the O6 theme coming into play a lot, and it has some similar chord progressions.

In all seriousness, though, I'm glad you enjoyed the end of The End more than I did.

I'm sorry you didn't. I think you had more invested in the series than I.

Eternal relationships.

Having to do it all over again, forgetting what you learned the first time around. :lol:

Just another life brother. :(

The "Life And Death" theme was definitely playing when Jack was lying in the pool and the water started to flow again. I don't recall it playing in the church, I'll have to watch it again.

Oh. I don't remember the S6 ending music that well beyond that it had a powerful, fully orchestral statement of the Life and Death theme towards the very end. It links very nicely to the way S1 ends and adds a whole new layer of meaning to it in a roundabout way.

Y'know, it's funny..."The End" is the only episode of the show I haven't seen more than once. For some reason, I keep putting off re-watching it. It's weird, because as I've said, I thought it was a fantastic series finale with the exception of the sideways twist.

The "Life And Death" theme was definitely playing when Jack was lying in the pool and the water started to flow again. I don't recall it playing in the church, I'll have to watch it again.

There was a whole tapestry of themes going on during the last minutes. The most prominent was "Life and Death", but there was also the main theme and light theme when Jack was in the heart of the island, and during the final montage I heard a little of "Parting Words" as well as the Oceanic 6 theme and, of course, "Life and Death".

The final moments in the church used Oceanic 6 theme, Hurley's theme (from Hurley's Handouts season 2 OST, an interesting choice), short quote of Parting Words theme and finally Life and Death with a counterpoint of O6 theme. Absolutely beautiful and poignant. Life and Death is the theme that ends the whole thing or actually a single hopeful harp note. :)

Okay, I finally re-watched "The End." Oy. I tried to enjoy it as much as I did the first time, but I couldn't stop thinking about the way it ends. The sideways business is kinda ruined for me now, which is unfortunate, since it was mostly my favorite part of season 6. I swear, it just drives me crazy how little sense it makes for that to be the afterlife.

I mean...why is Christian walking and talking and breathing when other people who've died (again), like Keamy, are just dead? And why are people like them - people who drink themselves to death while searching for their illegitimate children, or who blithely slaughter innocent young women just for money - allowed to enter this afterlife thing instead of being stuck on the Island like Michael, who only killed two women in a moment of desperation to save his son, and spent years trying to atone for it?

What about Ben? This is a guy who spent a huge chunk of his life lying, killing, and manipulating for purely selfish reasons. Yet he ends up in the sideways, too.

Jack finally forms a relationship with his nonexistent son in the sideways. Then he just leaves him without even saying goodbye. Just..."moves on." See ya, kid. So does his mom, just so she can be with some guy who she killed herself to avoid being without. But I guess he isn't a real person anyway...just a figment of their imagination, not the embodiment of a real person's soul...so it doesn't really matter.

And I feel so sorry for Rose. She gets cancer, ends up crashing on an island that saves her life, eventually dies there, and ends up having to get cancer all over again and presumably die from it. What happens if she doesn't remember before that? She just ends up wherever Keamy went?

They really did not think this through well at all. Either that or they did, but they decided they didn't want us to know that they did.

:)

The idea is that Keamy and the son and the like are all fictional constructs. Rose doesn't have cancer; just like Sun isn't pregnant for real.

Yea its a world where Jack and his friends can be together again and work out the last of their issues. It isn't real. Nobody "lived" through anything twice.

The idea is that Keamy and the son and the like are all fictional constructs.

If that's the case, I have only one word to describe the situation...laaaaaaame. :)

Rose doesn't have cancer; just like Sun isn't pregnant for real.

I'm not following you there, though. These are people who are really experiencing this sideways afterlife thingamajig. They're "really" there, unlike David and Keamy and whoever else is a figment of the universe's imagination. Yes, they're dead, so it's not like they're actually literally sick or pregnant, but they're still having the same experience again. Rose may be off rotting in a grave somewhere, but her soul is getting to experience the joys of cancer all over again. If that's not the most depressing kind of afterlife imaginable, I don't know what is.

I don't mind that as much as I mind the idea that some of them have to let go twice, as many (most?) of them did let go in their real lives; and it took them practically as long as in the sideways.

But it did allow them to reconnect with each other, as a sort of reward, I guess. In the real world, they each had a moment of happiness, before it got 'bad' again, for some; while in the sideways, they'll live 'whitily' ever after.

Yeah, that bothers me, too. The show has always been partly about the characters finding redemption, coming together, and so forth. Why should they be forced to start again at square one so they can re-learn, re-meet, and re-redeem? If they're going to rewarded by being allowed to reconnect, that's great - but just let them do it! Don't make them have to earn it all over again. It's just silly.

Don't make them have to earn it all over again. It's just silly.

But they don't. When they remember, they stop their "virtual lives" because they realise they don't have to go through it all now anymore.