As somebody who is p. anal about music tagging and has lots of live concert tapes, Year, Month, Day is the only way to alphabetize something and keep things in chronological order.

This is the only instance where I prefer the American system. Metric stuff is far more logical, the 24 hour clock is far more logical, but month/date/year makes sense to me, more than the rest. I wouldn't say something like "on the fourth of August, 2015." It's archaic sounding. And so is that date notation. The year obviously goes last, we all agree on that. But the day offers the least specific information and therefore it makes sense for the month to be specified beforehand. Why would the year go first? Chances are, you know what year it is. That's what's most often left out when people state the date.

Year first for formal notation, day first in conversations. But not randomised as in month/day/year (why not also use minutes/hours/seconds for time?)

It only seems randomized because it's not how learned it. I assure you that it sounds completely normal to those of us who were taught dates that way in the first place (same as minutes:hours:seconds would to somebody who were taught to tell time like that from childhood).

I don't mind the odd order in conversations, but for formal writing it makes no sense. And when I say randomised, I mean that there's no order to the sequence of elements. It's not logical.

Year first for formal notation, day first in conversations. But not randomised as in month/day/year (why not also use minutes/hours/seconds for time?)

It only seems randomized because it's not how learned it. I assure you that it sounds completely normal to those of us who were taught dates that way in the first place (same as minutes:hours:seconds would to somebody who were taught to tell time like that from childhood).

Now wait, who does time like that?!

• 1 year later...

I suppose they didn't want to talk about how ABC forced a budget on them while the show was still "fresh".  Now that its been more than half a decade, why not

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Interesting but perhaps I am the only person who loved the finale and found it very emotionally satisfying that Jack was welcomed into the abyss by all his friends who were waiting together before they all leave middle earth going across the sea to the west.  I was especially touched by Jack's dad embracing him so earnestly at the end in full acceptance of him though throughout the entire series there were such dad issues.  I also liked that Ben Linus had done a great job of running the island after Jack earning his sadistic character some redemption. 

The Lost finale is one of those love-to-hate things on the internet, apparently. I'm not sure if it deserves all the hate it gets, but I will say this: I think it was fine, but it could have been much better. Overall, I think the whole of season six was quite lackluster. The flash sideways were occassionally fun (I'm still waiting for the Miles/Sawyer cop spinoff show), but were dragged out for far too long to reach an ultimately disappointing conclusion. Especially after the playful way the show's time-jumping structure was used to great effect in seasons four and five (which are both great pulpy sci-fi, by the way).

As a creator, I can sort of get behind this "we wanted to end the show on our own terms, so this is what we did" thing. But as a viewer, after five seasons of mystery I want some more concrete answers in what I know is going to be the final season. Because here's the last chance, right? To then suddenly go all philosophical mumbo jumbo on us felt like a slap in the face. The producers of Lost seemed to be very well in tune with their viewers in the preceding years, but all that went out the window for the show's final year - with lots of fan backlash as a result.

It doesn't help that the island story of season six (which is the actual conclusion to the plot - the flash sideways are more of a philosophical epilogue) was slow, plodding and had several disappointing resolutions (Widmore's unceremonious death being the main one in my opinion). It also seems a lot of people who were disappointed by the conclusion tuned out somewhere halfway through the series and only returned for the final episode, which led to a lot of misinterpretation. I've had several conversations with people saying they were disappointed by the show as a whole because of the finale, because it revealed the characters "were dead all along," which simply isn't true.

If anything though, season six of Lost was certainly an ambitious piece of television. But it failed to deliver on the spectacular endgame promise of its preceding two seasons.

12 hours ago, karelm said:

Interesting but perhaps I am the only person who loved the finale and found it very emotionally satisfying that Jack was welcomed into the abyss by all his friends who were waiting together before they all leave middle earth going across the sea to the west.  I was especially touched by Jack's dad embracing him so earnestly at the end in full acceptance of him though throughout the entire series there were such dad issues.  I also liked that Ben Linus had done a great job of running the island after Jack earning his sadistic character some redemption. 

But nothing you just said has anything to do with what the article was about, which was simply saying that the Jack/Locke fight would have taken place on a volcano instead of where it did.  All the other stuff you talk about still would have happened too.

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

But nothing you just said has anything to do with what the article was about, which was simply saying that the Jack/Locke fight would have taken place on a volcano instead of where it did.  All the other stuff you talk about still would have happened too.

Two things I said were in reference to the article.  First that it was "interesting" they intended a fiery battle.  And second "Unless you’re one of the proud and stubborn few who are willing to defend it (we should probably form a club and have hats made, or something), the ending of Lost " which I am one of those people and explained why.

Interesting article. They definitely would have had to find ways to make it feel different from the climactic ROTS battle. In any case, I thought the version they thought was extremely effective - like literally everything else in the finale except that final twist. It felt like a bait-and-switch...nothing in the flash-sideways set it up as an afterlife scenario. It was all going in the direction of a true alternate timeline. A good denouement makes you go, "Aha, now this all makes sense!" I didn't get that feeling at all here.

Like I said, though, I love literally everything else about the finale. I suppose you could even argue that my problem is with the way season 6 set up the finale, not with the finale itself.

I don't think the setting of the final face-off (which sounds like it would have otherwise been unchanged) would have made too much of a difference.  Secret cave, volcano, etc.  Doesn't really matter.

7 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

It also seems a lot of people who were disappointed by the conclusion tuned out somewhere halfway through the series and only returned for the final episode, which led to a lot of misinterpretation. I've had several conversations with people saying they were disappointed by the show as a whole because of the finale, because it revealed the characters "were dead all along," which simply isn't true.

Thank you!  I'm glad I'm not the only one.  There are several stubborn people in my friend group who continue to believe that as well!

"The producers said it wasn't purgatory, and it turned out to be purgatory!" was a common complaint then, and probably now - which leads me to believe people weren't really paying a lot of attention.

If I recall correctly - and it's been like 7 years, so don't quote me - the significance of the church scene was actually spoken literally and in very plain dialogue within that scene.

20 minutes ago, mstrox said:

"The producers said it wasn't purgatory, and it turned out to be purgatory!" was a common complaint then, and probably now - which leads me to believe people weren't really paying a lot of attention.

If I recall correctly - and it's been like 7 years, so don't quote me - the significance of the church scene was actually spoken literally and in very plain dialogue within that scene.

Yup, that's literally what these people I know say!  "the producers said it would never be X but then that's what they did", which simply isn't the case.

For whatever reason, LOST just became a show people loved to hate on.

It also didn't help that ABC tacked on deserted beach footage of the plane wreckage on the island after the final shot. I recall that being a major catalyst in people thinking it was showing how they all died when it crashed.

LOST is my favorite TV show of all time. I've defended it countless times before so I'll spare the repetition here, but there aren't any real loose ends that I feel like they didn't conclude in some way. Entirely satisfying way? Maybe not (looking at you whispers), but it being "all about the characters" is something I felt straight from the pilot. I mean, the entire show's structure is on flashbacks and character development. Don't get how it could have been interpreted any other way. There's a great deal of environmental storytelling throughout the series that gives you the pieces you need to complete certain mystery puzzles. Better than straight exposition, in my opinion, like the aforementioned whispers. 

The big loose end they never tied up on the show is who shot at the catamaran boat in the water during season 5.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

The big loose end they never tied up on the show is who shot at the catamaran boat in the water during season 5.

Yes that's the only one I can think of, and they addressed that directly saying they had a cool idea for it but ran out of runtime to execute on it. 

Goes to to show just how much of a "living document" LOST was. How entire characters and plot lines were developed and dropped as they worked around budgeting and network production schedules. It's not perfect because of it, but I think it's special because of how well they managed to piece it all together. 

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

It also didn't help that ABC tacked on deserted beach footage of the plane wreckage on the island after the final shot. I recall that being a major catalyst in people thinking it was showing how they all died when it crashed.

LOST is my favorite TV show of all time. I've defended it countless times before so I'll spare the repetition here, but there aren't any real loose ends that I feel like they didn't conclude in some way. Entirely satisfying way? Maybe not (looking at you whispers), but it being "all about the characters" is something I felt straight from the pilot. I mean, the entire show's structure is on flashbacks and character development. Don't get how it could have been interpreted any other way. There's a great deal of environmental storytelling throughout the series that gives you the pieces you need to complete certain mystery puzzles. Better than straight exposition, in my opinion, like the aforementioned whispers. 

Environmental storytelling, I like that way of putting it.  I and many others had great fun constructing complete Island mythologies from all the given hints.  No need for explicit explanation from the show. 

5 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Environmental storytelling, I like that way of putting it.  I and many others had great fun constructing complete Island mythologies from all the given hints.  No need for explicit explanation from the show. 

Exactly. It's what made the show fun to watch week-to-week. 

Jack's dad stated in the end that all those events on the island really did happen. So I don't get the purgatory theory. The end scene means that they all eventually waited for each other to die but that might've been years after the events of the TV show.   

• 3 years later...
On 4/13/2017 at 11:17 AM, karelm said:

Jack's dad stated in the end that all those events on the island really did happen. So I don't get the purgatory theory. The end scene means that they all eventually waited for each other to die but that might've been years after the events of the TV show.   

I don't think it's healthy to look for logic in this show.