On a scale of 1 to 10(best) rate Attack of the Clones

JoeinAR

1=worst 10=best  

57 members have voted

1. 1.

Rate the film that has polarized the Star Wars and John Williams community.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a 1-10 rating system has too many numbers. So I decided to double my '4 out of 5' rating and give it the 8. It's not perfect - even for a Star Wars film. I consider it a visual feast with signs and portents for fans of the saga to salivate over.

MoffJake - latent B5 fan

I'm being generous when I give it a 4. I mean come on guys, with lousy dialogue, bad acting and horrible direction, and the music being cut up, how can anyones score be 10???????????? Even if you just complained about the music?

Definitely an 8. A high 8, because of the score problems, mainly, and some slow spots. But still, 8 out of 10 is a damn good film.

With lines like "Your clones are very impressive" (not literature, but I can't imagine anything better for that scene), how can it have that bad dialogue? With an excellent Ewan McGregor and an outstanding (as always) Ian McDiarmid, how can it have that bad a cast (and I still think that Anakin wasn't THAT bad, he just wasn't too good).

I'd probably give it a 7, but I have to see it again. (Could still be a lot better if they left out the long dragging sequences and added some plot to the big battle).

Marian - who wants to see it again.

I just seen it ( A birthday Present) and LOVED it!!!!! I admit to having that empty feeling after having watched TPM, But This!? I was blown away. This is my 2nd favorite Star Wars Movie Behind Empire. The Series has been restored to glory and greatness and George Lucas can thrill.

I have to finish at another time...there is a raging thunderstorm outside.

Kind of Kamino.

I gave it an 8. The dialogue was poor at times, but it didn't make the movie unenjoyable by any means for me. It was so visually enthralling, and watching Palpatine manipulate his way to power is reason enough to love the movie. Not to mention finally seeing that Jedi don't just sit around meditating all day and that Yoda is a force to be reckoned with (no pun intended!).

Ray Barnsbury

It's a solid "2" based solely on the fact that technologically it's a marvel. Dramatically it's a wash and a total waste of time.

Neil

At least someone else makes sense! I gave it a little higher based solely on the good parts of the music, the effects and C3PO. I loved him!!!!! More life in him then all the others put together.

Well,like I gave it a 7(a considerably higher rating than my indisposed first viewing). after a second viewing since there is somewhat a plot during the end sequence.Yoda is the one giving the orders to the clone troopers.

1 point lost for the music

1 point lost for Anakin's "acting"

1 point lost for the overkill visuals of the end battle.

BTW,if 42% and higher gave it a rating of 8 or higher,does it mean that Williams score really doesn't matter all that much and tracked music would be fine for EP 3?

K.M.Who almost deducted another point for the Conveyor Belt sequence.

Damnit. I gave it the wrong rating. I mis-read the order. I thought 1 was the best, and 10 the worst. SO I gave it a two. If I weren't an idiot and read the ratings right, I would've given it an 8. So please ignore my vote! :) It was my celebratory drink of Congac here in the Boston hotel after the concert that made me do it. I swear.

No offense, Ocelot, but, shouldn't anyone else's opinion just as valid as your own? To accuse anyone of not making sense simply because they don't agree isn't very fair. The dialogue and acting in AOTC in no better or worse than that previous Star Wars films, in my opinion. If you want bad acting, check out a Jean-Claude Van Damme or Steven Segal movie. There you'll find bad acting with a capital BAD. Spider-Man has some very cheesy dialogue, yet most critics seem to ignore it, but go and bash Clones for that very reason. However it's obvious such things subjective to each individual audience member, I suppose. I have my opinion and you have yours, and neither of us is likely to change each others mind

I gave the movie a 9 as I found it equal to the original film, but just below TESB, in quality. Still, I find Star Wars, or A New Hope if you prefer, to be the most entertaing and my favorite of the 5.

I give it a 3.

I have been disappointed by everything in the movie :

- the music very badly edited for the film (it is not John's fault).

- special effects oftenly useless.

- the story.

- the actors playing.

I think that 3PO and R2 are useless in this film.

It seems that 3PO's role was played by Jar Jar Binks :)

That's my feeling, I have been too disappointed :(

Crappy plot, I don't consider it a real film, just a few brilliant scenes and a few bad scene, cause it don't follow at all. I really enjoyed some of the scenes though, like The Arena and brilliant special fx, which is why I rate it a 6. And perhaps that's even overrating it. I am quite angry though, because it could have been much more.

What exactly were you guys expecting in AOTC? Man...

It's quite interesting to see such a wide variety of opinions on things like this.

Personally, I found the acting, overall, to be quite good. This IS Star Wars, after all...not My Dinner with Andre...

What exactly were you guys expecting in AOTC? Man...

It's quite interesting to see such a wide variety of opinions on things like this.  

Personally, I found the acting, overall, to be quite good. This IS Star Wars, after all...not My Dinner with Andre...

No, none of the Star Wars films feature "brilliant" acting, but Kershner and Marquand were clearly able to get something out of the actors that Lucas has never able to do. Something convincing.

I have to disagree about Marquand, the only thing he got convincing is convincingly bad.

The whole scene with Luke telling Leia that they are brothers and sisters is by far the most laughable piece of acting in the film. Horrendous. Even I. Kershner has stated that Marquand did not qet good perfomances out of his actors. And it show.

Joe, still laughing at Leia telling Luke to run away. Talk about spoiled cheese.

IrishCal,

You are more than welcome to your opinion and it's not a matter of changing your view or anyone elses. As a matter of fact, all I'm doing is giving my opinion, it shouldn't upset you. But I do have a Valid point, which was this.... Since everyone I know on this board hated the way Williams's music was handled, how can they give it a 10 which is a perfect score? That's what I don't understand. Are you telling me that's not a valid question? As for all the stuff I ranted about, those are only my views on the thing. Not anyone elses, just mine. I happen to like C3PO in it, a lot of people didn't. So it is just a difference of opinion. I hated the dialogue to the point of embarassment. I thought the acting was horrible, there was no direction given to the actors who had to act to a blue screen... sorry, those are my gripes, but again, my point about the perfect score is valid, if you complained about the music and other things, you can't give it a 10. 10 means that it was perfect.

Ocelot is correct. We have all complained about at least one aspect of Attack of the Clones. For that very reason, the film cannot have a perfect score.

Neil

You're question is valid, Ocelot, however, I was replying to the post in which you said Neil was the only one making sense when he described the film as "a wash and a total waste of time." That just comes across as an arrogant statement, to me, because it suggests that one opinion is more important than another. If I misread that, I apologize. I wasn't upset, though, because I don't take these things quite that seriously.

Besides, there is no such thing as a perfect film, at least in my opinion.

BTW, I like your avatar. Why do so many people despise Rosie?

The whole scene with Luke telling Leia that they are brothers and sisters is by far the most laughable piece of acting in the film. Horrendous. Even I. Kershner has stated that Marquand did not qet good perfomances out of his actors. And it show.

About bad acting....

Joe that was EXACTLY what I was going to post.That was an unbearably awkward scene.Hamill's acting when he talks to Jabba or Vader on Endor ain't much better either.

And to me,Carrie Fisher is so-so in ANH,then wasn't very good in esb and terrible in ROTJ.

and Harrison Ford was good in ANH and ESB but also terrible in ROTJ.

K.M.

Me agreeing with Neil is just that, agreeing with him on some of his perceptions of the movie.....

I'm glad you didn't take offense though, none of us should, we all have our little things to say.

I have no idea why so many people don;t like her... She's done a lot for a lot of people and has a huge heart. Maybe it was her coming out... Though I have no idea why that would bother anyone, at least she is being honest. However I put the Avatar up as a joke. I wanted to put a lightsaber in front of her but I have no clue how to do that!!!!!! Darth Rosius

I like my new avatar a lot better.  :)  

Stefancos- who gave AOTC a 7

LOLROTF,Welcome back to The Phantom Zone Trio,Lord Stefancos.I see the Dark Side has taken it's toll on you.

K.M.Who thinks that the right half of Crusher's Avatar should be dialed out.

I gave it a 9.

1 point removed for the score's obliteration, and the "forced" love story that I wanted to blieve but had a hard time...

TESB is still my favorite ofd all time, but I really dug this.

My ratings for all the SW films:

Star Wars (A New Hope): 9.7

The Empire Strikes Back: 10.0

The Return Of The Jedi: 9.8

The Phantom Menace: 9.7

Attack Of The Clones: 9.8

As you can see, I love Star Wars films... and moreso... their scores. :)

I agree with KM, ocelot. Change it you must.

And Steef... Nerys head in a Sith cloak is QUITE disturbing. Second only to Rosie's!

I will run and hide now before my retinas burn... :)

-Chris, Who made myself, KM, and Steef avatars but Steef won't join in the Towner Knight Phantom fun... :cry:

I think Stefancos Avatar is worthy of the Towner knights.LOL!Nerys looks like Zam Wezel after getting hit by that Kamino dart.

My ratings for the Star Wars films.

ANH-7

ESB-10

ROTJ-5

TPM-7

AOTC-7

K.M.Amused.

I think Stefancos Avatar is worthy of the Towner knights.LOL!Nerys looks like Zam Wezel after getting hit by that Kamino dart.

:)!!! It's true, it's true!!!

My ratings for the Star Wars films.

ANH-7

ESB-10

ROTJ-5

TPM-7

AOTC-7

K.M.Amused.

Whoa! So low for ROTJ? I didn't like the Ewoks either, but the final conflict scenes made up for it IMO.

-Chris

LOLROTF,Welcome back to The Phantom Zone Trio,Lord Stefancos.I see the Dark Side has taken it's toll on you.

LOL I agree. A zombiefied woman! BWAHAHAHAHAWW!!!!

K.M.Who thinks that the right half of Crusher's Avatar should be dialed out.

You do know that Massy doesn't like you for saying that now... :)

-Chris

Whoa! So low for ROTJ? I didn't like the Ewoks either, but the final conflict scenes made up for it IMO.

-Chris

Not only the Ewoks(which were worse than Jar Jar IMO)

I didn't like most of the Jabba scenes either,especially the mostly slapstick and badly scored Sail Barge Battle(Williams original cue was tons better),and all of what was happening on Endor after the bike chase,which is basically 2/3 of the movie.Luke's visit on Dagobah wasn't great either,especiallly that casual conversation with Ben's spirit(even as a spirit,he sits down on a rock,for crying out loud)

The speeder bike chase,the space battle and the Luke,Vader and Emperor scenes warants my 5 points.

K.M.

I have to disagree about Marquand, the only thing he got  convincing is convincingly bad.

The whole scene with Luke telling Leia that they are brothers and sisters is by far the most laughable piece of acting in the film.  Horrendous.  Even I. Kershner has stated that Marquand did not qet good perfomances out of his actors.  And it show.

Joe, still laughing at Leia telling Luke to run away.  Talk about spoiled cheese.

Yeah, but if Marquand weren't dead, he'd be able to fire back that Hamill's climactic post-revelation outburst in The Empire Strikes Back is equally embarrassing.

Yup, all of Star Wars films feature horrid acting. But some have it worse than others...

Here are my ratings for the scores:

Episode I: 8

Episode II: 6

Episode IV: 9

Episode V: 10

Episode VI: 8

Here are my ratings for the films:

Episode I: 6

Episode II: 9

Episode IV: 7

Episode V: 9

Episode VI: 8

Here are my reviews for the directors: (visually)

Episode I - George Lucas: 7

Episode II - George Lucas: 9

Episode IV - George Lucas: 7

Episode V - Irvin Kershner: 9

Episode VI - Richard Marquand: 8

Here are my reviews for the directors: (dramatically)

Episode I - George Lucas: 6

Episode II - George Lucas: 8

Episode IV - George Lucas: 6

Episode V - Irvin Kershner: 9

Episode VI - Richard Marquand: 8

Director - who could go on and on for each aspect of the films

With lines like "Your clones are very impressive" (not literature, but I can't imagine anything better for that scene), how can it have that bad dialogue?

I picked this one, although there were plenty of other references to the dialogue in this thread to chose from. In answer: there can't be any denying there are whole truckloads of awful dialogue in all five films. Most of this stuff is right out of the Flash Gordon school of dramatic writing (Lucas may have made vast improvements on the sparklers stuck to the backs of the phony ships, but he forgot to update the phony dialogue stuck in the actors' mouths). The worst of it in this last installment tends to congregate around the love story (and that a forgiving label at best). "I've died a little every day since you came back into my life"? "I truly, deeply, madly, PAINFULLY...."? Oh, puh-lease. The only lines to outdo the mooning of Ani and Ami are the astonishingly anochronistic groaners we get from C3PO (Lucas ought to be fined by the Screenwriter's Guild for resurrecting puns that were already petrified back in the 60's).

But that's all par for the course in a Star Wars film, really. Lucas has never been much of a writer (and if you think the film versions are bad, you should see the rough drafts of the original films....holy cow), but that's never really been a problem, has it? All that laughable bantering brings a sort of cheerful, mythological spirit to the whole enterprise. It recalls the heroic days of true melodrama when every other sentence was voomped up with an exclamation point (and a sword raised in the air)....the days when a man's love for a woman was measured by the quiver in his lips....the days when everyone "musted" everything ("We must stop them!"). We know how much Lucas was influenced by those old Saturday-afternoon cliffhangers; influenced so much, in fact, that he has apparently transferred them part-and-parcel into the modern era of cinema. While we ought to be thankful that he's had people around to help add spice, humor, and real drama to his awkward attempts at scripting, at the same time the spirit of these films we adore so much would be regretably diminished if the characters didn't wear their gushing hope on their sleeves, and if Darth Vader didn't verbally twist his mechanical mustache every now and again. So I can certainly forgive the films' penchant for silly lines, even as I twist a grin into my hand at them.

In answer to the thread's original question: I gave it an 8, simply because it was fun (something the last film wasn't). It loses points for a painfully contrived "love story" (Lucas can be pardoned for overdramatizing war, but romance is a tricky business) and, again, for Threepio's intolerable, punny jaunt into the well-forgotten past. But the movie remembered something that the original films had down to a "T": that if the story can't carry the day (and, in these cases, let's be honest - it usually can't), then for heaven's sake, don't take it too seriously; throw it at us a mile-a-minute, and make us laugh along the way. It's amazing how much milage you can get out of speed, humor, and cutting-edge special effects.

- Uni

It's amazing how much milage you can get out of speed' date=' humor, and cutting-edge special effects.[/quote']

A lot of people would agree with you. But, ultimately, the pleasure is transient...and you wish there were something of the indelible storytelling qualities exhibited so powerfully by Jackson's The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (even if it painfully, but understandably, defied the novel in so many ways).

I enjoyed the AOTC ride, but when it was over, I realized it could have been so much more. Some of us grimace because the cheap thrills of AOTC can't compare with its premise's potential.

For the scores I would rate them this way.

Star Wars 10

ESB 10

ROTJ 7

TPM 8

AOTC 8

The films would be rated this way.

Star Wars 10

ESB 10

ROTJ 8

TPM 6

AOTC 8

The directors

Star Wars/Lucas 10

ESB/Kershner 10

ROTJ/Marquand 5

TPM/Lucas 6

AOTC/Lucas 8

Screenplays

Star Wars 10

ESB 9

ROTJ 8

TPM 6

AOTC 8.

But all this is meaningless because no matter what any of us think, film history continues to show that Star Wars is considered the best by movie fans(all movie fans, not just SW fans). None of the other SW movies are ever considered among the top 25 movies of all times, and rightfully so, although ESB comes the closest.