New Varese Star Trek the Deluxe Edition!

Ollie

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Can't wait.

Interesting that the booklet (and I'm guessing packaging) is "in the dimensions of a Blu-Ray disc case". Look at the back cover, there's no track titles at all.

Also, I have a feeling this'll go fast, considering it crosses over two groups obsessive about collecting : soundtrack fans and trekkies.

I forgot to put 2009 in the title.

I kept refreshing Varese's site and when I saw Star Trek I thought it was TMP.

Damn this is a great year for Trek fans. Kudos to Varese for getting this out.

Joe (Datemeister) is gonna shit his pants when he sees this!

Man this is totally unexpected. First Star Trek III's complete score now this...wonder what other Star Trek scores we'll be getting this year! Man I'm soooooooooo going to order this!

Wow, that was certainly unexpected. I probably won't be getting this--I've spent more than enough money for my liking recently, and I rarely listen to the OST. But I really like the idea of a score being composed and getting a complete release less than a year later.

Whew! $30! Urrghhhh...just gotta remember that I'll have a steady source of income in a few weeks...

Uhhhh...

Okay, crap. At the moment, I actually don't know exactly where I'm going to be living when this ships. The Varese website says something about charges for changing the shipping address. Anyone know if that would that happen if I entered one address now and tried to change it sometime between now and the release date?

Okay, crap. At the moment, I actually don't know exactly where I'm going to be living when this ships. The Varese website says something about charges for changing the shipping address. Anyone know if that would that happen if I entered one address now and tried to change it sometime between now and the release date?

I don't have an answer to your question, but if you want to avoid such a fee you could ship it to a friend's house and then pick it up/have them mail it to you.

Ah yes, it probably does mean tracks including the Alexander Courage theme. Now that I have Trek III and XI complete, my Star Trek soundtrack collection might be complete. Horner's scores are really the only ones I've taken notice of (besides Giacchino's) and I enjoy TMP, which I have the Sony edition of. The others don't do all that much for, but if any of the other Goldsmith scores get complete releases I'd look into them.

Yeah, that's what I'll most likely do in any case. :) If anyone has any experience with or thoughts about this, though, I'd appreciate it.

And Giacchino's track titles continue to be ridiculously "out there." :lol: "I've Fallen and I Can't Beam Up!" has to be one of my all-time favorites. And it's interesting to see how some of the unreleased track times match up perfectly with the material we have...and some of them are significantly longer. :thumbup:

Bear in mind that this is NOT a complete release, though. Significantly expanded, and probably the most complete we'll ever officially get for this score, but there's still material missing. Looks like they picked the right music to include, though.

What's missing, Datameister? Kudos to Varese though - they knew the fans wanted this and didn't go the route of a download-only "more music from" release.

Bear in mind that this is NOT a complete release, though. Significantly expanded, and probably the most complete we'll ever officially get for this score, but there's still material missing. Looks like they picked the right music to include, though.

How do you know there's still missing music?

It's a little tough to compare because it's possible my edit naturally has different track titles, and because some of the unreleased music may be tracked into different scenes in the film (and thus my edit). Actually, re-examining it in detail, it looks like very little that I know of was omitted. The single note in the harp and strings for the start of Kirk's trial and the super-short reprise of some of the actiony ostinatos after "Enterprising Young Men" seem to be missing, but other than that, I think almost everything is accounted for. Not counting source music, the weird film version of "Nice to Meld You", and possible some other unused snippets. Not really sure.

In any case, this is going to be well worth buying, I've decided! :thumbup:

Well this was definately worth waiting up for and no disappointment over it not being Spartacus.

Hopefully that means Spartacus will be the release most of us are expecting it to be.

I hope this sells out, well it should sell out, the union fees must be huge for this with the size of the orchestra and choir used.

I agree it is well worth buying and not a disappointment (all though some will still bitch about it). This is most likely the full score...just as you said with the weird track titles it's hard to say for certain. We will have to wait to have the score to fully compare it to your edit, Joe.

While your edit has been a joy to listen to Joe, this is for sure will be even more of a treat. Can't wait to listen to "Chutes and Matter".

The cue titles are definitely quirky. I may rename them to some of the ones we've used.

Edit: We knew this thing was coming just wasn't sure when and wasn't sure if it would be a single disc or 2-CD set glad it's finally out and a 2-CD set!

While your edit has been a joy to listen to Joe, this is for sure will be even more of a treat.

Thank you...but I definitely agree, this will be much better! This is kind of a "best of both worlds" scenario. I got to have the fun of assembling the most complete soundtrack I could manage, including a fair amount of clean unreleased material, and now I get to pay for a version with (maybe not quite) all of that music and then some! Kudos to Varese for making this album happen. It's not even a UE-style debacle or anything, based on the track times!

They must have segued directly into "Narada Bing", which was the title of the first cue of the film itself, according to our own Chris Tilton. Get it..."Narada Bing", "Narada Boom"...

HOLY SHIT! Ordered!

That.

Though I must say, the packaging being "in the dimensions of a Blue-Ray [sic] disc case" doesn't sound appealing. I'm not a fan of non-standard cases. But, maybe it will be neat. We'll see. No matter... it's the score that counts!

That should be the same size as the old DVD-A audio cases. Just slightly larger than a jewel case.

Well off to bed now. Enough excitement for one night.

Boy, this album's going to have a lot of music on it that we haven't heard. Some of the unreleased tracks are really significantly longer than what's heard in the film.

I like this release...y'know, it's exciting!

When I met Michael here in Italy last November, he said to me that Varèse was planning to release a "Volume 2" kind of album. However, he didn't know how and when it could happen, but he was very happy to get more music out for his fans.

Personally, I'm glad he and Varèse decided in the end to release a complete score album on two discs. I think it speaks loud about how much Giacchino cares on the presentation of his music on CD. He's a film music fan just like most of us! :thumbup:

I just hope it has an alternate version of the theme. Like a much better theme.

Morlock- who still wants this

Still don't get the Giacchino-tinted glasses you've all got on. He's plenty good without them! No need for you to compromise or let him get away with lackluster work!

Surely, that's what it is. Not just different tastes. When I instinctively grinned upon hearing the theme for the first time over the opening logos, it was because I knew it was a Giacchino theme, not because I just enjoyed listening to it. That would be unthinkable. (Mind you, in all seriousness, I do think the score as a whole could have been better. It's good, but it's not top-notch. I just happen to think that the main theme is excellent, no matter how much it may flirt with MV-ish tendencies.)

Anyway, another cool thing about this release is that it gives me hope for Varese giving LOST not only a season 6 release, but perhaps a "more music from" release somewhere down the line as well. That's purely speculation on my part - don't want to start rumors here - but if they're willing to do it with this Giacchino score, I think it's entirely conceivable that they'll do it with LOST. There's certainly plenty of excellent music from all six seasons that hasn't been released on CD.

Anyway, another cool thing about this release is that it gives me hope for Varese giving LOST not only a season 6 release, but perhaps a "more music from" release somewhere down the line as well. That's purely speculation on my part - don't want to start rumors here - but if they're willing to do it with this Giacchino score, I think it's entirely conceivable that they'll do it with LOST. There's certainly plenty of excellent music from all six seasons that hasn't been released on CD.

I totally second that, brotha :thumbup:

what's so great about this?

Oh go away, you're annoying.

I share KM's opinion. 100%. Am I annoying too? -- Ricard

So is this complete?

I'm pretty sure it is judging from the times.

Seriously ,how does something like that come out 1 year after the movie? Where's all that re-use fee ,rights crap that tangle up every single Williams releases?

Most Williams releases that haven't already been done don't have the commercial appeal of a release like this. And the ones that do aren't held up by reuse fees, they're held up by LFL.

Regarding the completeness issue, I still think there's at least a LITTLE material missing, but the vast majority of the score proper seems to be represented.

Why even bitch about it? If you're not interested don't buy it. Just because it's not Spartacus or a Williams release, heaven forbid! Quit pissing on everyone else' enjoyment.

Woah! Totally shocking news! Couple of points:

-I have no idea why they called the first track "Star Trek" instead of "Narada Bing" - odd.

-This release is definitely not complete

-I don't get at ALL why they are giving us the final film version Main Titles (which are just an edit of Enterprising Young Men) instead of one of Giacchino's two original main titles - makes no sense!

- A lot of the other track times are quite confusing... Hopefully they didn't place random inserts or alternates in the middle of other tracks!

Despite my concerns, an instant order of course :thumbup:

Seriously ,how does something like that come out 1 year after the movie? Where's all that re-use fee ,rights crap that tangle up every single Williams releases?

Most Williams releases that haven't already been done don't have the commercial appeal of a release like this. And the ones that do aren't held up by reuse fees, they're held up by LFL.

riiiight, your telling me this Star Trek score has more commercial appeal than Harry Potter. Your kidding me.

Right now I think it does. Huge hit, reinvigorated a stagnating franchise, and by a recent Oscar-winning composer. Plus, it's Star Trek. That on its own is a forty year-old built in audience.