New Varese Star Trek the Deluxe Edition!

Ollie

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit partial to presentation on the FSM Trek discs, and I wish any future Trek 1-6 releases could be done by them.

Right now the rumors are circulating, don't ask me where they started I have no idea, that Star Trek TMP & Star Trek V are next on the release schedule.

What about IV?

I say that in a jokey and highly Trek-ignorant tone based on II and III having just come out. I don't even know who wrote that one...

Anyway, I'd be hard pushed to buy any further Trek scores, and the only two Goldsmith ones that I like (First Contact, Insurrection) satisfy me completely in OST form.

It's always nice to see scores get complete treatment, and gives hope for a lot of expansions of not so old scores. I won't buy this, as I'm not particularly fond of the score, but I hope this release trend keeps up.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Intrada or Varese do Star Trek IV & VI.

Leonard Rosenmann scored IV by the way.

What concerns me is what MV Gerhard said about Star Trek Generations, First Contact and Insurrection. GNP owns the rights in perpetuity.

I would guess Varese still holds the rights to Nemesis.

But for all we know Lukas could have snatched up all the Trek scores that were available for FSM to release.

It's a bit hard to tell whether it's the start of a new trend, or Varese just buckled/thrived under the demand.

Does at least indicate that the outdated reuse fee system can be twisted into cooperation.

Yep. Regardless of the specifics, it's yet another indication that we're living in a very good time of change for film score albums...if not a very good time for film scores! :D (This score being one of the exceptions, of course, even though it can't compare to vintage Williams.)

I'm guessing this is a case of the original album selling well enough, Giacchino's wish for more music to be released, the success of the film and Robert Townson having his finger on the pulse of the film score community.

I'm still very excited about this release. Now every worthy Star Trek release has been expanded! (Hehehehe...)

I agree with the recent posts. Giacchino's Star Trek definitely was one of the best selling score albums for Varese last year. I could see why they'd want to cash in on an expanded edition. I bet this thing will be sold out by a month's time.

Ya it'll be interesting to see who releases Star Trek Generations through Insurrection. I guess supposedly there were rumors that Dennis McCarthy was going to release a complete version for Generations through his label. Not sure if that'll hold true or not.

I don't suspect an expanded Nemesis score will come from another label other than Varese themselves. I do agree with Mark that FSM will probably release IV and VI since both were with MCA.

Just in case it went unnoticed, someone at FSM said that 'The flask at hand' is the original Stat Trek titles music.

I dont know how he does know that but if its true, then its great :D

Ohhhh...I remember Chris Tilton (I think) mentioning that the original logo cue was tracked into that scene (which features Courage's four-note theme), so that'd make sense. Though it's shorter than I'd expect it to be...

Normally Varese's liner notes for their club releases don't go into too much detail but I hope these do.

I'm hoping "Galaxy's Worst Sushi Bar" is "Nero's Story". If it is, it seems a bit on the short side. I hope there won't be any micro edits with the unreleased material.

I think that's indeed the cue for Nero interrogating Pike. As for the track time, I think the discrepancy was because of a mistake on my part, not because they omitted any material. I included some material in that cue from the features that seemed like it was supposed to be part of that cue, but I think I must have been wrong. Hopefully it'll turn up in one of the other unreleased cues, leaving "Galaxy's Worst Sushi Bar" unedited, and that mystery will be solved. :D

As far as that cue goes, though, what I'm really curious about is whether the electronically augmented erhu will be present. I suspect it will - I mean, it's got that weird statement of Nero's theme and everything, and it's sorta the melody. But it was dialed out of the film.

Ooooh, so torn right now ....

I could decide better if I remembered if any noteworthy music was unreleased. I love the soundtrack album, but I'm not sure if the unreleased bits are as good as those already on album.

I'm surprised Harry Potter hasn't been expanded yet, via iTunes exclusive tracks or anything like that.

Yeah, itunes, I can see that, with Williams being a computer freak and all.

21. I've Fallen and I Can't Beam Up! (1:51)

Giacchino loves his track titles ....

I think that's indeed the cue for Nero interrogating Pike. As for the track time, I think the discrepancy was because of a mistake on my part, not because they omitted any material. I included some material in that cue from the features that seemed like it was supposed to be part of that cue, but I think I must have been wrong. Hopefully it'll turn up in one of the other unreleased cues, leaving "Galaxy's Worst Sushi Bar" unedited, and that mystery will be solved. :D

As far as that cue goes, though, what I'm really curious about is whether the electronically augmented erhu will be present. I suspect it will - I mean, it's got that weird statement of Nero's theme and everything, and it's sorta the melody. But it was dialed out of the film.

That makes sense.

I'm also hoping " Trekking Down The Narada" will have the unused statement of the main theme before the Enterprise emerges above Titan.

gkyver the unreleased bits are just as worthy. "Chutes and Matter" is by far the best action sequence for the score.

I'm also hoping " Trekking Down The Narada" will have the unused statement of the main theme before the Enterprise emerges above Titan.

I'm sure it will...the track appears to be long enough to accommodate the unreleased material used in the film, the unused statement of the main theme available through the DVD features, and a bit more unused music that we knew had to be there but that we didn't have yet.

gkyver the unreleased bits are just as worthy. "Chutes and Matter" is by far the best action sequence for the score.

I don't know if I agree that it's THE best action sequence, but it's excellent. Obviously, they attempted to assemble noteworthy tracks into a good listening experience for the original album, gkyver, but there's a lot of really good material that wasn't there, and pretty much all of it is on this release. If you like the OST, I would go for this.

LIKE the OST? It's one of the few soundtracks that I can listen to from start to finish without break or skipping something.

I still can't decide, but I'm sure my order will be out before my eyes close tonight ... damn you, Giacchino!

Then you definitely need to buy this. A couple of cues contain rehashes of other passages, and there's certainly a lot of developments of existing themes, but on the whole, it'll be totally worth it. If you want, I can send you my soon-to-be obsolete complete-ish edit, on the condition that you buy the new release if you like what you hear enough to keep it. I think it'll convince you that this is a worthwhile purchase...or you could just take our word for it. :D

?

I can't believe the continuing bitch fest on FSM over this release. If people are that unhappy about it then they shouldn't buy the damn thing (more for us) and need to quit acting like a spoiled little bitch because Spartacus, Family Plot or some other score wasn't released that they were hoping for.

Well I don't know about the complaining at FSM, but even though I'm not even a fan, I take some issue with this release. The ludicrously shortened running time of the original CD (which people were rightfully complaining about upon its release, key word here is complaining) kind of leads me to believe that the complete release was planned from the start. Now it may be a GOOD thing that this has been released, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason.

WTF does "Flying Into a Trphlthdl" mean?

People are bitching??? I'll have to buy 2 then, I want to reward Varese for this. Couldn't have been cheap, hopefully naysayers will just STFU and these will sell quickly, so we are rewarded with similar releases in the future!!

?

I can't believe the continuing bitch fest on FSM over this release. If people are that unhappy about it then they shouldn't buy the damn thing (more for us) and need to quit acting like a spoiled little bitch because Spartacus, Family Plot or some other score wasn't released that they were hoping for.

Well I don't know about the complaining at FSM, but even though I'm not even a fan, I take some issue with this release. The ludicrously shortened running time of the original CD (which people were rightfully complaining about upon its release, key word here is complaining) kind of leads me to believe that the complete release was planned from the start. Now it may be a GOOD thing that this has been released, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason.

i think it's a play on Kirk having speach troubles during the sequence when they are "Flying into a Trap". :D

Then you definitely need to buy this. A couple of cues contain rehashes of other passages, and there's certainly a lot of developments of existing themes, but on the whole, it'll be totally worth it. If you want, I can send you my soon-to-be obsolete complete-ish edit, on the condition that you buy the new release if you like what you hear enough to keep it. I think it'll convince you that this is a worthwhile purchase...or you could just take our word for it. :D

Nah, I placed my order :lol:

Ht

?

Probably a tongue in the cheek thing when Jim had numb tongue.

?

I can't see any Williams score being released through itunes.

I'm pretty sure he would be involved in the release/production of such a prolific score of his, and being the prolific scores that they are, I highly doubt he'd want to release them in this way.

Not only because of sound quality, but somehow I am quite sure Williams prefers the traditional way of releasing soundtracks.

And so do I :D

I prefer both. In this day and age, with digital distribution and whatnot, it's easy and practical to do both at the same time. There are a lot of benefits to the traditional, abridged soundtrack album and a lot of benefits to the complete film score. Sell one on CD and make the other available for a few bucks more as a lossless or very high bitrate download. Everyone's happy and the labels don't lose any money.

Well, with the whole Greece-Europe crisis shit, the dollar has been rising again, so I don't think I'll be able to get this, I'm going to have to pass. I'll probably have to pass on ST III as well.

I admit, it'd be fantastic to hear this score recorded so that the sound quality and performance were on par with, say, E.T., or perhaps TMP. The cramped soundscape Mr. Giacchino favors does work for some of his material, but I think Star Trek would be better with a more conventional symphonic sound. (That might require some minor orchestration changes, too...it's honestly hard to tell with the sound quality being what it is.)

I was briefly a source of alarm to my family when squeals/shrieks resounded the house at my reading of this news. I am thrilled that the score is getting this treatment! Ordered for sure.

Couple of points:

-I don't get at ALL why they are giving us the final film version Main Titles (which are just an edit of Enterprising Young Men) instead of one of Giacchino's two original main titles - makes no sense!

- A lot of the other track times are quite confusing... Hopefully they didn't place random inserts or alternates in the middle of other tracks!

Hasn't Varese (or maybe I'm thinking of a different label...can't remember) had mistaken track times on the page before? I'm not so sure on this stuff--if it's the final film version of the "Main Titles," for instance, that would be closer to about 0:56 at least--a little more if you count a bit of silence at the end of the track. No way it could be 0:46. I am disappointed that they're using the film version, but...well, I'm gonna just wait to hear it, and I suspect the liner notes will shed some light on things like the "Main Titles" and "Star Trek" vs. "The Flask at Hand" situation, etc.

People who are upset it wasn't Spartacus should be happy that Spartacus wasn't compromised and squeezed on a 2CD set.

Joe (Datemeister) is gonna shit his pants when he sees this!

Man this is totally unexpected. First Star Trek III's complete score now this...wonder what other Star Trek scores we'll be getting this year! Man I'm soooooooooo going to order this!

Okay, I've been working long hours lately. When was the complete Star Trek III released?

And then we can get on with the REAL "Star ____" franchise!

Kidding. Well, okay, I'd rather have complete scores for all six Star Wars films in as-good-as-possible sound quality than the same thing for all the Star Trek films. But these Trek releases are definitely fantastic to have, and make it easier to wait.

For a little while. ;)

Woo hoo!

However, I wouldn't spit on your edit for bridging the waiting time ;)

Well, with the whole Greece-Europe crisis shit, the dollar has been rising again, so I don't think I'll be able to get this, I'm going to have to pass. I'll probably have to pass on ST III as well.

Funny, for the same reason, I currently happen to be a little quicker with purchasing soundtracks from overseas.

But I'm more interested in this than in Star Trek III. Now go beat me with a stick.

I think "The Flask At Hand" maybe the cue where McCoy and Kirk introduce each other on the shuttle. I think who ever said that cue is the original "Main Title" may have it wrong. That's just my theory considering where it's placed at the score.

I think "The Flask At Hand" maybe the cue where McCoy and Kirk introduce each other on the shuttle. I think who ever said that cue is the original "Main Title" may have it wrong. That's just my theory considering where it's placed at the score.

Actually, I think it WAS the original Main Title card music, then they moved it to the Kirk/McCoy meeting scene, and edited the Main Title out of Enterprising Young Men.

That's if the DVD/Blu-Ray Commentary is any indication.

Oh yeah, that's right, that's where that information came from. I couldn't remember who the source on that was. Of course, they could have been mistaken, but it's still a fairly good source. Hopefully the liner notes will make everything clear.

From what I recall, Mr. Tilton said that the first half of what's in the film is what was written for that scene, and the second half is the original title card music. So, the guy on FSM is wrong.

I for one really like the Enterprising Young Men edit. Works great in the film, and given that Varese's blurb says 'film version' then that's obviously what we're getting.

In these circumstances I would far rather have on CD something we're familiar with and by now almost iconic, rather than something totally different, just 'because' it's what Giacchino originally wrote.