New Varese Star Trek the Deluxe Edition!

Ollie

Just ordered.

That makes this my first Giachinno purchase (but my 3rd album overall). :lol:

Up and the Star Trek OST were legitimate freebies (thanks again to our own mahler3 for the latter).

While I don't feel Giachinno hit a home run with Star Trek (à la Wrath of Khan) I still enjoy it immensely.

I've found myself frequently listening to the album, sometimes back to back because it's so short (and so much fun).

The Deluxe Edition will be getting frequent playtime, I'm certain.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confident that even if the DE turns out to be overwhelming or has less interesting moments, there will be at very minimum a full CD's worth to enjoy.

Plus I also got the OST as a freebie, so it's time they actually got some money from me :)

Got to admit though, found the OST's cover rather cool from the beginning, and I may keep using it instead of the new one.

I know what you mean about the cover.

I reflects the idea that the movie is propelled at warp speed.

One idea for a custom cover, would be to reverse the colors, aka the IMAX theatrical poster. :)

Will this be availabla at amazon (via amazon propper or SAE) anytime soon (Ie before it is sold out?

I dont want to sign on another internet shop, too many already.

Damn, the € is losing value everyday.

Luke,

I can't say for sure, but I don't see many limited edition releases on Amazon.

I know both SAE and Varese stores will have it, and there's likely to be copies for moviemusic.com and Intrada as well.

That's the big stores in terms of film scores :lol:

Well, I'm not buying it FOUR times :lol:

Damn, the € is losing value everyday.

Yeah, I keep postponing some buys in hopes that it will go up again, but it keeps getting worse!

Uh..i meant that i DO NOT want to register to another (more) internet shop, if it is not neccessary.

I know how to reach those sites (d'uh :lol: ), but after abandoning buying Cds in physical stores, i'm buying scores from amazon directly, or from the SAE marketplace there.

I wanted to know if people knew when the new titles are put in the marketplace list.

I bought Black sunday and Poseidon like that.

Maybe one must wait to the actual day of release to be there?

You can trust SAE and Movie Music to get your orders to you. It's not really that difficult to "sign up" with them. I mean come on now.

I've never really seen Limited Editions like these pop up on Amazon.

Luke knows SAE has a store inside Amazon; He's asking if anyone knows when they will be able to sell Star Trek Deluxe Edition through their amazon page (as it isn't listed there yet).

I'd assume once they get their stock in, which will probably be next Wednesday-ish.

Luke knows SAE has a store inside Amazon; He's asking if anyone knows when they will be able to sell Star Trek Deluxe Edition through their amazon page (as it isn't listed there yet).

I'd assume once they get their stock in, which will probably be next Wednesday-ish.

thanks. At last someone who got what i wanted to say :(

I could really go for a shipping notice.

They won't start shipping until Monday, June 14th. And now that Varese has 3000 of them to send off, it could take a long time to process all of the orders.

Great for me, in any case, as I've got too much on the credit card bill as it is.

Man, I could really go for some samples about now.

Ya I find it weird this is one club release that they didn't provide sound samples for.

I could really go for a shipping notice.

I think most of us would..but like Basil said they won't start giving those out until Monday. Sucks we have to wait until then for this thing to start shipping.

This is one complete score that is going to get A LOT of play time from me.

They've been doing this for all of their Varese Club announcements, though - announcing it a week or two before it actually begins shipping. I mean, on top of having to wait two weeks to receive mail from California, I'm pretty used to it by now.

So about the choir....

I'm thinking now that the D.E. will have it.

I dunno where the rumor started that the choir in "Does It Still McFly" and "Back From Black" were last minute additions that went against Giacchino's original intentions; As far as I can figure, Giacchino simply wrote and recorded choir for a bunch of cues, but Varese only could afford / chose to pay for the choir be included in "Nero Death Experience", "Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns", and "End Credits".

I have a feeling they aren't going to pay the fees for the additional 55 minutes of music without paying for the choir fees too, ya know? Of course if I'm wrong, then that probably means that the tracks "Spock Goes Spelunking" and "Black Holes Have A Lot Of Pull" won't have choir on the D.E. either. I hope that's not the case.

Also: I wonder if the D.E. will contain that choir/orchestra swell that appears in the film just before "Nero Sighted"? Its also in the end credits (just before the 5:00 mark)

So about the choir....

I'm thinking now that the D.E. will have it.

I dunno where the rumor started that the choir in "Does It Still McFly" and "Back From Black" were last minute additions that went against Giacchino's original intentions; As far as I can figure, Giacchino simply wrote and recorded choir for a bunch of cues, but Varese only could afford / chose to pay for the choir be included in "Nero Death Experience", "Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns", and "End Credits".

I have a feeling they aren't going to pay the fees for the additional 55 minutes or music without paying for the choir fees too, ya know? Of course if I'm wrong, then that probably means that the tracks "Spock Goes Spelunking" and "Black Holes Have A Lot Of Pull" won't have choir on the D.E. either. I hope that's not the case.

Also: I wonder if the D.E. will contain that choir/orchestra swell that appears in the film just before "Nero Sighted"? Its also in the end credits (just before the 5:00 mark)

It's possible that swell was just an edit from the "End Credits".

I too hope that the D.E. will have the choir over dubs for those specific cues.

My mind is convincing me of different things really. On one hand, if they're doing the full score, why not go the whole hog and do a deal that includes putting the choir in. But on the other, I'm guessing this set is just within the realms of financial affordability, and perhaps dropping the choir may have been part of that.

And I hear that the OST for Last Airbender drops the choir entirely to avoid the associated fees (and probabbly goes some way to explaining why I think it mostly sucks).

Who knows, until someone receives the set. I'm not expecting mine until probably the weekend after next - they took ages to package up Nightwing and around another week to cross oceans. I've learnt when ordering stuff from the US to just forget I ordered it, and get a nice surprise one day.

Well they had to cut costs for the OST because they wanted to sell more than 15,000 copies, which is the line where the AFM charges significantly more money

Since they worked out a deal to only produce 5,000 copies of the expanded set, I'm guessing they were able to include everything, including the choir they had to skimp on the first time around. I guess we'll find out in a week or so!

i hope the OST is not rendered obseolete and contains lots ok 'without chorus' alternates....

I'm with you on this. If the DE contains the Choir versions of the cues, and maybe (just maybe) the choir-only portion of "Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns", then I'd be ecstatic.

If it contains essentially the OST versions of those cues (sans choir), I'll still be damned happy though. ;)

I doubt "Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns" will have the choir only section when the Enterprise opens fire on the Narada. In the film it's clearly an edit of the music and not Giacchino's original intent.

All though the front channels for that section have very little to no sfx which are not distracting at all.

According to at least one poster on FSM, Varese has already started shipping these out

I ordered directly from Varese, but haven't received my shipping notice yet. No surprise, considering I didn't order until last Tuesday.

If they're shipping it sooner, maybe we'll get it sooner.

I like this release. It's EXCITING !!

Haha, nice one.

It seems that Varèse did get their orders in sooner than expected. Another FSMer just posted saying he too got an email that his had shipped.

Well it's good that it's selling out - a good omen for future expanded editions.

Obviously they did this because Trek has a huge fanbase and there was demand, but I'd like to think that fairly popular scores might get this sort of treatment, maybe in smaller amounts. Like just off the top of my head, I'd easily pay $30 for a 2-CD complete, 1000 unit Hancock.

Ya there was a huge demand (almost typed damned lol) for an expansion release for Giachinno's Trek. While the OST had a good selection for cues it just was way too damned short. Plus we know that the OST was the number one best seller for Varèse last year.

Well I was expecting mine to ship. I had to be one of the first to order. ;)

Plus I wonder where my other copy will be shipping from.... :P

SAE posted those pictures.

I had no problem with the bluray style case that people were going on about, but really it's a book style case in bluray dimensions, it seems. Looks great!