New Varese Star Trek the Deluxe Edition!

Ollie

Very nice!

Really can't wait for mine to be delivered. Ordered from moviemusic.com and no shipping notice yet.

With them seeming to put some effort and money into the look of this set it really doesn't seem too likely that they'll have skimped on the music itself - choir over dubs and the couple of Courage theme statements.

Hope I'm not wrong, though I'll be happy to have it either way.

;)

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SAE posted those pictures.

I had no problem with the bluray style case that people were going on about, but really it's a book style case in bluray dimensions, it seems. Looks great!

I wasn't too concerned because Bluray cases are close to the SACD / DVD-A cases and those fit just fine on my CD shelves.

One thing Varese appears to have skimped out on are liner notes:

It's about 4 pages of text (including track list and credits) and the rest pictures.

Lame!

It's about 4 pages of text (including track list and credits) and the rest pictures.

Lame!

I agree that this really isn't what most would have expected when they read:

"The elaborate and beautiful, 2-CD packaging includes a 28-page, full-color booklet (in the dimensions of a Blue-Ray disc case), with new liner notes by Starlog Magazine founder Kerry O'Quinn."

Still, a complete release of a score only a year after its initial release it still great. The detailed liner notes come in 10 - 20 years I suppose ;)

I was really hoping for some substantial notes in this, but if there's one thing Varese always disappointments with, it's their booklets. Oh well, it's the music that matters! Hopefully mine arrives on Monday. ;)

Maybe someone could put together a set of liner notes for an issue of FSM, that would be cool.

I was really hoping for some substantial notes in this, but if there's one thing Varese always disappointments with, it's their booklets. Oh well, it's the music that matters! Hopefully mine arrives on Monday. ;)

Maybe someone could put together a set of liner notes for an issue of FSM, that would be cool.

I've assembled what sort of functions as alternate liner notes right here

I've assembled what sort of functions as alternate liner notes right here

Ah, nice, I'll have to check that out when the discs arrive!

Lame!

The odds of me being in the booklet have increased dramatically! ;)

Neil

The design doesn't look that bad for the case. All though it's still gonna stick out like a sore thumb next to the other cases. I wish Varèse had just stuck it in a regular double disc jeweled case. The fact too they skipped on the liner notes is a bit lame.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but from the picture, the book format looks very nice !!!

This might end up next to my LOTR:CR sets on the main bookcase, rather than sitting with the regular CDs.

This is fitting, I think !!!

As for the liner notes: I think 4 pages of notes is not too bad, but Varese doesn't very often do cue-by-cue breakdowns these days.

We'll see the true extent of the liner notes when we get the discs, but I like what I'm seeing here. cool.gif

Neil

I still won't get an autographed copy from you will I?

:P

Neil

Stop by the Lala Land table at Comic Con.

Bring $20.

Neil

Neil

:lol:

Bring $20.

Neil

OK...if you pay for my ticket. :P

Let's not get this thread off topic. It was just a joke I was making and I'll leave it at that.

Neil

Just a joke... suuuuure ;)

Humor, it is a difficult concept. It is not logical.

A box has been reported as delivered just now, perhaps it's the VCL Star Treks... I should be able to get a good chunk orders out today if so!

Peter posted that on Movie Music just recently. So hopefully if it is the VCL Star Trek's that would be awesome. Which means I maybe getting my copy middle of next week.

Neil

Bring $20.

Neil

That's ok I'm getting the one signature that counts the most. :lol:

I like the look of the book design. Much better than the Blu-ray type DVD case I was thinking they were talking about.

Do not like the fact that it has minimal liner notes.

But do releases for recent films actually ever have liner notes as detailed as those we get for older "archive" scores?

Neil

Bring $20.

Neil

That's ok I'm getting the one signature that counts the most. :lol:

Tyler Perry?

Neil

I like the look of the book design. Much better than the Blu-ray type DVD case I was thinking they were talking about.

Do not like the fact that it has minimal liner notes.

But do releases for recent films actually ever have liner notes as detailed as those we get for older "archive" scores?

I can't remember how detailed the notes were in the expanded Tomorrow Never Dies, or the Vol 2s of Braveheart or Titanic, but I think you're right and they weren't very expansive.

But this is a Varese Club release, ya know? Should be different.

The odds of me being in the booklet have increased dramatically! :thumbup:

Neil

;)

Bring $20.

Neil

That's ok I'm getting the one signature that counts the most. ;)

Tyler Perry?

Neil

Rachel Nichols?

Well, one drawback is that I had planned to send the CD slip to Gorfaine-Schwartz to get Michael Giacchino to sign it, but the case IS the slip, so that can't be done. ;)

On the other hand, this looks really nice (even with the shorter-than-expected liner notes), and will definately be one of my favorite releases.

If Michael Giacchino ever comes to Dark Del for a signing, I'll be bringing this release with me. :thumbup:

Most of us have our fave Giacchino scores. My selections:

Lost (all seasons, some of the best music written for TV in recent years)

Star Trek (In case no-one's guessed)

M:I:III (Great fun, full of energy, lots of kick-ass action, and great use of the original theme)

The Incredibles (The Best James Bond score in recent years, even if not for James Bond)

I met Michael briefly at Dark Delicacies, where he signed Star Trek (OST) for me, and he's a really nice guy.

He was also very happy indeed to talk about his work, and I asked him about getting more material from Trek, and he said that "Varese were well aware of the problem."

If you get the chance to go to the Dark Delicacies signings in Burbank (I know, a little far from Maryland), it is a lot of fun.

What you might want to do is package your CD sleeves, a stamped, self-addressed envelope, and a letter, to the Gorfaine-Schwartz agency to him.

You may get said items signed. :thumbup:

I will make 'standard Varese deluxe edition' covers to fit a 2cd jewel case...

I wouldn't mind seeing those if you do that.

You will ;)

And i think i can post them in the thread without breaking any rule! (alternate covers for offivial releases are allowed, i think)

If I ever meet Giacchino, I'll happily hand him MOH, Underground, and Frontline to sign.

I handed him TLW, SWON and Ratatouille...

This year i will hand him Speed racer, The Incredibles and Star Trek :thumbup:

If you get the chance to go to the Dark Delicacies signings in Burbank (I know, a little far from Maryland), it is a lot of fun.

What is Dark Delicacies, and when is it?

If I ever meet Giacchino, I'll happily hand him MOH, Underground, and Frontline to sign.

I handed him TLW, SWON and Ratatouille...

This year i will hand him Speed racer, The Incredibles and Star Trek :thumbup:

Lucky bastard! ;)

I still regret only giving JNH 2 booklets to sign, when I had like 10 in possession. He probably would have done like 2 or 3 more.

Dark Delicacies is a store in Burbank that sells mainly Horror books, soundtracks and memorabilia.

They are known for having CD signings with composers, usually when labels want to promote new soundtracks.

I met Bear McCreary there about 4 times I think, as well as Michael Giacchino, Nicholas Meyer and Ron Jones (once for each of them).

Well I've already got John Williams' signature so that tops that one.

But Michael Giacchino's will look nice sitting right next to Johnny's.

Dark Delicacies is a store in Burbank that sells mainly Horror books, soundtracks and memorabilia.

They are known for having CD signings with composers, usually when labels want to promote new soundtracks.

I met Bear McCreary there about 4 times I think, as well as Michael Giacchino, Nicholas Meyer and Ron Jones (once for each of them).

Cool. Is Giacchino gonna be there this year? If so, I might try and ask my bro if I can tag along in his cross-country drive to CA and fly back after a few days.

That's ok I'm getting the one signature that counts the most. wink.gif

Tyler Perry?

Neil

Rachel Nichols?

goldsmith_autograph.jpg

cool.gifxyxthumbs.gifmusic.gif

Cool. Is Giacchino gonna be there this year? If so, I might try and ask my bro if I can tag along in his cross-country drive to CA and fly back after a few days.

Nothing has been announced, and I'm not aware of anything coming up.

If you ordered from moviemusic Peter was able to ship out copies today as well

I have no clue when mine will arrive. I didn't get a shipping email, and the website still says "In Process". The same thing happened when I ordered The Goonies as soon as it was available. It just showed up one day. The website still says "In Process" :mrgreen:

Well, I'm checking my mail every night when I get home.

When it arrives, it will be played beginning to end. One long Giacchino Trek marathon :mrgreen:

Datameister, I hope you din't mind, but I deleted everything but Awasoruk Jam from your mix. I plan in integrating Awasoruk Jam and Sabotage into a single virtual album of the complete score. :)