New Varese Star Trek the Deluxe Edition!

Ollie

Picard.jpg

:P

;)

And yes, TNG does annihilate TOS at times...at least in the Usage of Unnecessarily and Overly Redundantly Verbose Jargon and Lame 90s CG departments. ;)

TNG is best watched through the lens of Dayjob Orchestra.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please give us a full report when you've listened to it. Those on the FSM board who have it are being rather tight-lipped.

Please give us a full report when you've listened to it. Those on the FSM board who have it are being rather tight-lipped.

Well someone on FSM has all ready posted that "Does It Still McFly?" and "Back From Black" DO NOT have the choir overlays, which is rather disappointing. I even posted earlier stating this.

Either way I'm looking forward to this set.

So I read, but I was referring to the rest of the score. Unused bits, things you were stoked to hear without sound effects, things like that.

So I read, but I was referring to the rest of the score. Unused bits, things you were stoked to hear without sound effects, things like that.

Ah gotcha, I'm sure either I or someone else will make a full detailed report by then. ;) Though I for sure will post my thoughts on the release after I listen to it.

Someone on FSM just confirmed one of my worst fears about this... it appears the track 'Star Trek' is the OST track with the rest of 'Narada Bing' tacked onto it.

Not gonna lie, folks... I'm beginning to get annoyed with this release.

The actual music for "Narada Bing" still maybe the full cue though aside from the "Logo" music being tacked on before it. Just wait until you get your set to find out. ;)

Maybe so but I doubt Varèse would edit any of the previously unreleased material for this particular release.

As I stated on FSM it would make sense for them to tackle on the logo music before "Narada Bing", especially if there was meant to have continuous music going after the logo sequence. "Narada Bing" maybe its full entire cue and could possibly run into "Narada Boom" if that much music was really dropped from the final cut of the film.

Just have patience and wait for your copy. Yes the wait is hard...I'm dying to hear it myself but the wait will be worth it.

I foresaw that and made the back cover accordingly ;)

Are there any other official cue titles that could be put on the tracklist? I suppose that until we have the Cds we cant know for sure... I will update it then.

Here it is: startrekdeluxebackcopy.jpg

Sorry for the lousy Varese, paramount and spyglass logos...

The frontcovers you guys did are great. I dont think i could do better :P

I fail too see what the problem is concerning track one. Perhaps that's what Giacchino originally intended.

I fail too see what the problem is concerning track one. Perhaps that's what Giacchino originally intended.

As do I.

By the way does anyone know the actual font that Varèse uses for the covers these days? Well for the side tabs.

Are there any other official cue titles that could be put on the tracklist?

Yes. I have made the complete cue list available right here

Wrong. Giacchino originally wrote a 2 1/2 minute cue called "Narada Bing" that covered from the opening logos all the way through to the Narada emerging from the black hole, with continuous music throughout.

In the final film, the entire cue was dropped. The opening logos now contain a new composition ("Star Trek" on the OST), no music plays during the opening Kelvin scenes, and the Narada emerging from the black hole is music tracked from "Nero Sighted".

It appears that on the D.E., instead of giving us the full "Narada Bing", they dropped the first minute of it and gave us the "Star Trek" cue we already have tracked over it instead.

Well if the logo music remains the same cue from the film but if the music after that is the original music for "Narada Bing" I won't have any issue with it what so ever.

As do I.

By the way does anyone know the actual font that Varèse uses for the covers these days? Well for the side tabs.

Gill Sans Condensed.

I'm hoping we get the full "Narada Bing." It'd be unfortunate if part of an unreleased, unused cue were replaced by something we've already heard in the film and on the OST. It might be best for the listening experience, for all I know, but that's something we can always put together on our own if we want. Conjuring up part of "Narada Bing" would be significantly more difficult. :thumbup:

I'm hoping we get the full "Narada Bing." It'd be unfortunate if part of an unreleased, unused cue were replaced by something we've already heard in the film and on the OST. It might be best for the listening experience, for all I know, but that's something we can always put together on our own if we want. Conjuring up part of "Narada Bing" would be significantly more difficult. :thumbup:

My thoughts exactly.

I just cant believe they would put Star trek (OST version) and part of Narada bing. Specially when it would not be a 'film version edit'...

Anyway Jason, reading Chris Tilton's description of the Star Trek Narada bing thing. It seems that Star Trek was comosed to replace part of Narada bing, but composed as a insert-revision. Giacchino wanted the main theme to appear before in the movie so he rescored the logos part.

I dont think that it will be an unpleasnt edit. It should feel natural.

If that's the case, the true bad decission is the usage of tracked Main title.

A shame we are not getting all the alternates, maybe in 20 years FSM will do that...

My thoughts exactly, to Chaac and Luke.

However...

It probably won't be an unpleasant edit. From what Mr. Tilton described, it sounded like the first minute-ish of 'Narada Bing' and 'Star Trek' sounded similar, so the edit will probably be all right. But it's the principle of the thing that bothers me - we already HAVE 'Star Trek', but we don't have the first minute of 'Narada Bing' as written.

But it can go the other way too: Varèse is all about the listening experience, and they probably viewed 'Star Trek' as an essential opening (and rightly so). It's their way of heading off "Hey, where's the opening music?!?"-type comments. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess.

Ok then there's supposed to be:

"Star Trek" aka "Narada Bing" (because it scores the appearance of the Narada), partially unused, and we only have the first minute in the OST.

"Narada Bing", an alternate to Star Trek, and we don't have the first minute.

This release is confusing.

Narada bing is the original cue. (For the logos and the appeareance of the narada)

Star Trek is a revision of the logos scene, that is meant to merge with the appeareance of the narada scene music.

The deluxe edition is Star Trek segued into the part of narada bing that scores the appeareance of the ship.

Just a couple of things I've been thinking about.

Firstly, concerning the 'Star Trek' vs 'Narada Bing' issue. Is the Star Trek track on the DE not the exact same length as Narada Bing was supposed to be? Is it not possible that Narada Bing always included the familiar logo music from the OST? Could be that the OST version simply removed the last minute or so. The timing also seems right when compared to the film meaning that we'll have the unused score from when the Kelvin is introduced right up until the Narada emerges.

Of course this depends on whether the cue lengths on Jason's excellent analysis page are based on information other than the DE track listings. If they are based on the track list, do we actually know that "Narada Bing" is supposed to be any longer than it is on this set? Unless the sequence was cut down a lot in the final edit, the timing works.

Also, I was thinking about the as yet unheard main title alternate. I cant be sure but I think we have heard it. In the 'Starships' documentary on disc 2 of the blu-ray/DVD there is what I thought was an alternate of 'Enterprising Young Men' when the doc shifts focus to the Enterprise. Seems to match the description of the main title alternate.

Speculation's fun, it kills boredom. :thumbup:

Narada bing is the original cue. (For the logos and the appeareance of the narada)

Star Trek is a revision of the logos scene, that is meant to merge with the appeareance of the narada scene music.

The deluxe edition is Star Trek segued into the part of narada bing that scores the appeareance of the ship.

If it is, in fact, meant to merge with that music, then I can accept it. After all, this is what Giacchino intended, isn't it?

Narada Bing is definitely supposed to be 2:26. If you go watch the film, that is the exact length from the start of the opening logos to when Narada Boom begins playing

"Star Trek" was only written after Narada Bing was completely dropped.

So no, the DE doesn't reflect Giacchino's intentions.

Alan, what you mention is already covered in my Complete Cue List thread. Look under Main Title (version 2)

Then I wasn't right. I wonder if there's any way we can obtain the full Narada Bing.

Giacchino's intentions are then either Narada Bing or Star Trek. I would use both, because I like Star Trek quite a bit.

Narada Bing is definitely supposed to be 2:26. If you go watch the film, that is the exact length from the start of the opening logos to when Narada Boom begins playing

I see. Well, hopefully it isn't too jarring a listen then.

Then I wasn't right. I wonder if there's any way we can obtain the full Narada Bing.

Giacchino's intentions are then either Narada Bing or Star Trek. I would use both, because I like Star Trek quite a bit.

It could be in Data's 'Unused Miscellanea' track, or maybe somewhere in the Blu-Ray extras' rear channels. Hope springs eternal. :thumbup:

Alan, what you mention is already covered in my Complete Cue List thread. Look under Main Title (version 2)

I think it's version 1 that's in the Starships documentary on the DVD extras.

It sure is too bad that version 2 of the Main Title won't be on this set - "The Reeling McCoy" on Datameister's edit. I really like this version. Soft, yet stirring, and the Courage theme is very appropriate. It sounds like the first version was just a variation on "Enterprising Young Men," though I'd love to hear that too.

Gill Sans Condensed

;) See ya online!