New Varese Star Trek the Deluxe Edition!

Ollie

Anybody notice that the list of musicians on the Deluxe Edition is different than the list of musicians from the OST?

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I haven't received mine yet, although it should be here tomorrow.

As I mentioned earlier though, someone who lives in Houston already received their order Saturday.

I synched up Narada Bing to the film - it was an interesting approach to scoring those scenes, but what they did in the final film definitely worked better

I also synced up Narada Boom - another interesting statement of Nero's Secondary Theme in there we hadn't heard before, plus a quick statement of the second half of the Main Theme that was dropped as well (I believe meant to underscore "You're captain now Mr. Kirk"

OK, Labor of Love flowing directly into "Main Titles" sounds TERRIBLE

I will absolutely be using the cleaning ending of LOL from the OST.

This is very interesting on the original intended edition of the score compared to in the film. From 2:08 to end of "Jehosafats" is I'm sure the original "Red Shirt Diaries" cue where Olsen is killed. It's the piece of music we thought was "Pre-Jump". Man they hacked up the music in the film almost as bad as The Phantom Menace.

The Flask At Hand is freaking intense!!! Wow, I think I like the approach they went with in the final film much better, but I'm glad to have this one as well!

Yup - no choir in "Welcome Back Spock". wth, they couldn't afford it? its like 10 seconds tops. Its much more powerful with it

So, the "Kirk's Trial" cue is not in here. The first minute of "Vulcan Gets A Good Drilling" is what you hear in the film leading up to "Hangar Mangement". But here, at the 1 minute mark, it instead goes right into Nero's Theme for the scene where Amanda sees the drill. That means the scene was originally meant to go right there. I much prefer in the film going right from the "oh shit, Vulcan's in trouble" moment during a trial right to the hangar scene, really keeps the pace moving.

So that means that "Vulcans Are Testy" is the cue name for what I had been calling "Kirk's Trial"

Wow. OK, "Hangar Management" is amazing. SO GLAD to have this on CD.

But it sounds TERRIBLE not directly flowing into "Enterprising Young Men". It builds to just a sudden stop instead of the next cue, you know? Its like Concord's Temple Of Doom type of badness. Definitely a must-merge.

Does Nailin The Kelvin flow directly into Labor of Love like it does in the film?

Nope!

Back to "The Flask At Hand" - none of this is in the film at all. I guess the ENTIRE cue was replaced by Main Title version 2

Flying Into A Trphlthdl - WOW!!!! AWESOME unused music here. Great guitar licks. GREAT quick version of Nero's Theme!

But at the same time, I'm glad it's not joined together. I plan to assemble an OST-content playlist on my iPod.

This is the great thing about the internet age, we can have it both ways!

Well apparently that rendition of the B Theme as Kirk, Sulu, and Olsen board the shuttle was tracked from the end credits, as it is not in "Jehosafats!"

Wow, Jehosafats is freaking full of unused music, and is just vastly different from the film version!

Well, "Did I Know My Father" is not on the set at all. "Hail To The Chief" only contains the cue "Hail To The Chief", which is longer than was used in the film

"You Gotta Be Vulcan Me" is also not on the set

The beginning of "Trekking Down The Narada" is pretty impressive!

Okay this set isn't 100% complete, it's close but not fully 100%. However, it's surely a nice listen for the previously unreleased material. Quite a bit of cool unused stuff and a lot more of Nero's theme than what was in the film.

OK I've finished listening to the set for the most part. Here's my thoughts:

NEGATIVES:

• "Welcome Back, Spock", "Spock Goes Spelunking", Does It Still McFly?", and "Back From Black" are all supposed to contain choir, but the choir was not included in the set.
  • "Hella Bar Talk", "Hangar Management", "Enterprising Young Men", and "Come With Me Cupcake" were all supposed to contain extra percussion by Chris Tilton, but the percussion was not included in the set.
  • The cues "Vulcans Are Testy", "Did I Know My Father", and "You Gotta Be Vulcan Me" are not included in the set at all.
  • The first minute of "Narada Bing", as well as Giacchino's two original main titles are not included in the set at all either.
  • "Nailing The Kelvin" does not flow correctly into "Labor Of Love", as in the film. We already have these two cues separated on the OST, so it would have been nice to get them connected here.
  • "Hangar Management" does not flow correctly into "Enterprising Young Men". This sounds HORRIBLE when listened to un-connected. Horrible.
  • For some reason, "Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns" flows immediately into "Black Holes Have A Lot Of Pull", even though the two cues are not connected like that in the film! Quite puzzling!

NEUTRAL:
  • Hella Bar Talk on the OST had the horn solo; The D.E. doesn't have it. I'm glad we get both versions!

POSITIVES:

• EVERYTHING ELSE. Lol.

Seriously, there's a ton of great music on this set!!! It seems like almost every single cue was mucked with in the final film. Pieces are dropped, shuffled around, mixed differently, etc. There's so much music you know from the film represented here, but there's also A LOT of music you've NEVER heard before on here as well! And it all sounds great!

The biggest thing you'll notice is Nero's Theme. It only played a few times in the film, but gets played A LOT on the new CD. And EVERY version is different! I never realized how versatile of a theme it was before this set!

There's also the great guitar work in "Flying Into A Trphlthdl". The great rendition of Nero's Secondary Theme and the first "real" appearance of the Main Theme in "Narada Boom". The freaking high octane insanity of "The Flask At Hand". The distorted erhu in "Galaxy's Worst Sushi Bar".

And of course lots of action music! "Chutes And Matter", "Scotty's Tanked", and "Black Holes Have A Lot Of Pull" are sure to get your blood pumping!

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. (I know how some of you guys get off on it.)

I hope that jab wasn't pointed in my direction because of the rim clicks discussion...I apologize if I came across as overly critical or something. I thought we were just having a fun discussion about what instruments make what sounds. :)

Nah, I'm just messing with you guys in general. I took your comments in the spirit in which they were intended. Just making a general comment about how internet forums get that way. ;)

Okay I HAD to take a picture of the set next to my regular jeweled cases...look how far this turd sticks out. Yes I realize my Return Of The King box is upside down I corrected that. Didn't notice it when I took the picture.

DSC04848.jpg

Oy, that DOES look lame. =/ Oh well. As many have stated already...it's the music that counts, and it seems like the positives totally outweigh the negatives there.

Nah, I'm just messing with you guys in general. I took your comments in the spirit in which they were intended. Just making a general comment about how internet forums get that way. :)

Oh, good. In that case, I agree. ;)

Okay I HAD to take a picture of the set next to my regular jeweled cases...look how far this turd sticks out. Yes I realize my Return Of The King box is upside down I corrected that. Didn't notice it when I took the picture.

DSC04848.jpg

What's on the CD is great I'm sure, and that's what matters, but still...fail. :|

Hey Trent, did you know your RotK is upside down?

I have another question for those with the album already:

Does "That New Car Smell" have the ending heard in the film or on the OST?

It's the OST version, the intended edition. What's heard in the film is an edit from the "End Credits" just pitched up.

OK, I haven't got it yet, but allow me to say, shit. Not including the original main titles - at least one of them - is a big fail. The lack of choir is very bad, too, but I'm counting tracking the film version of the main titles (and the opening) as even worse.

Too bad because it sounds like a great set for the rest. Too bad Varèse got to do this project. Because I don't see FSM, LLL, or Intrada missing the mark in that department.

Too bad because it sounds like a great set for the rest. Too bad Varèse got to do this project. Because I don't see FSM, LLL, or Intrada missing the mark in that department.

I guess it's the way Giacchino himself wanted the music to be presented on disc, so there you have it.

Well, there isn't any evidence for that, really, I think. It does point to the costs being higher to include it than to leave it off and Varèse being either unable or unwilling to pay.

And if it is Giacchino himself, which I doubt, between this release and Lost Season 5, he's slowly turning into an album producer as good as John Williams himself!

:|

How is the mixing? Is it wetter than the abhorrently dry mix on the original album?

Or should I get some KY?

Yes, I'd love to know if the sound quality is improved?

Yes I realize my Return Of The King box is upside down I corrected that. Didn't notice it when I took the picture.

So why didn't you just take another picture once you realized it?

Is it just me or is The Flask At Hand a PERFECT match for the description of what the unused Main Title should have been? This is the same piece I previously mentioned from the bonus features of the DVD.

From Jason's analysis:

"The very first version of the Star Trek logo actually had the main theme rhythm and then a quick loud statement of the main theme, but it wasn't as drawn out as the Enterprising Young Men version."

Hey........ you're right!!

AND - since Chris Tilton said in this thread that the first half of "The Flask At Hand" is actually heard in the film..... but nothing in "The Flask At Hand" on the Varese D.E. is heard in the film........ could mean that is IS actually the original Main Title...... and the REAL "The Flask At Hand" is still unreleased!

I sent Mr. Tilton an email, hopefully he can answer for us. But I betcha Alan is right.

I wouldn't worry about that. I have about 8 orders over the past 10 years from Varese that still show in progress, including the first club batch that featured Heartbeeps. And I've received them all.

Be patient people, you're going to get your disc.

Yea, my order for The Goonies from a few months back still says "In Process" on their web site. Clearly they have issues with their shipping module.

"Let's see, I saw this person make a bad comment at FSM about our last club release. I'm going to hold his order for a few weeks before I ship it."

My album left Point of Origin, California, yesterday, which means I won't get it until late in the week. It can hang out with all the other albums I haven't touched yet.

I think I'll still get a good night's sleep tonight.

The much heralded Deluxe Edition of Star Trek excludes most of the choir dubs, including from the cue called Spock Goes Spelunking when he tries to rescue his parents!!

The beginning of that cue is frankly crap without the choir singing the motif later played on strings. It was the cue I was most looking forward to hearing and Varese ruined it probably because of those damn reuse fees. :(

As far as I can tell after a quick listen, most if not all of the unreleased overdubs from the final battle are also excluded.

So incredibly disappointing!! :angry:

Why not release the choir cues separate from the CD album on itunes and charge whatever they like to cover the choir’s fees, and fans of the score who actually want the music they heard in the movie will pay for it. Isn't that the whole :) point of score cds - to have the actual music heard in the movie.

Sorry for the rant, but being a score fan isn't easy at times! :banghead:

You know it's very possible the reason why those cues don't have the choir over dubs is because they weren't Giacchino's original intent. They were probably last minute changes to the film, just like the extra percussion by Mr. Tilton.

No. In talking with Chris Tilton, I get the distinct impression they were always intended to have the choir. Varese chose not to pay the fees to include them on CD.