New Varese Star Trek the Deluxe Edition!

Ollie

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've listened to a good portion of this set (before anyone says, no, I haven't received it yet... I'm *previewing* it :)) and it's turned out to be so much better than I thought.

I didn't notice that much of it during my one viewing of the film, and I thought his 'cold', Lost-esque orchestration might turn me off. I even prepared myself to only find enough interesting to make a full CD's worth, but boy was I wrong. I can see how Giacchino felt the OST was an injustice - this allows everything so much more room to breathe.

Yea, there's a ton of music on this set you can't hear in the film at all

Woah! I just got a shipping notice from Varese! Apparently it didn't actually ship until today! Weird.

I've been listening to an erm, "preview", and there is a LOT that is different from the movie in many ways.

It's amazing to mne just how much editing and tracking was done for the movie.

The lack of a Choir in many places is interesting, but I'm not surprised, nor am I actually disappointed, though I understand fully why many are.

I knew "Trekking Down The Narada" would be a favorite, but that unused material from the beginning of the piece is simply the icing on the cake for me.

This may not be the complete score, but it's very close to it, and it holds up very well as a listening experience for me.

I'm enjoying every moment of this music, even if it's not a perfect presentation of everything in the film.

From the looks and sound of it, the packaging also seems to be very nice, and I'd like to read the liner notes before I make any judgement call on them.

Musically, this score is now very well presented on CD. :)

Jason-

I got the same shipping notice today as well. It's very strange, as I ordered May 31 at like 8am!!

Just must have been flooded with orders.

Actually Chaac, I can see why they needed to make many of the edits they did.

It would be interesting, however, to see an FSM-style "Score Restore" for some of the dialled out or alternate pieces.

The opening section of the movie, IMHO, played very well without the creepy music over the top.

It kind of telegraphed what was going to happen, and tracking in the much stronger variation of Nero's theme announced that something "Bad" was coming out of that anomaly gave the appropriate dread at that point.

By the way I mostly lined up with "Jehosafats" with the film and the end of that cue lined up nearly perfectly all the way to Olsen's death too. So from 2:08 is when Olsen is waiting to pull his shoot, pulls it then he dies as the late result of the pull. Cool to know!

First let me say the packaging is outstanding, regardless of the liner notes. The images on both CDs is something I never even gave thought of someone doing. The book / case is sturdy and impressive in person. And unless you have your shelves measured to the exact specs of a jewel case, it should fit fine, even though it sticks out from the shelves, by only an inch.

No this isn't another TPMUE mess and I didn't miss the choir at all. Right now I'm enjoying "Jehosafats" and "Chutes And Matter". This is an excellent release of Michael Giacchino's score and the unreleased music is fantastic. I'm picking up on so much stuff that I couldn't hear in the film. There was no doubt in my mind that this ranked up there with the best of the Trek scores and after hearing the near complete score I'm even more convinced.

Well done Varese, well done.

If I were to send you mp3s of "Spock Goes Spelunking" and "Back From Black" with the choir restored, you'd understand why we're so bummed the D.E. doesn't have the choir.

I'm also "previewing" (I feel kinda dirty!), and I've gotten up to "Enterprising Young Men." Man, this is so excellent! There is so much instrumental nuance that isn't even detectable on the DVD rips! Even "Hack to the Future," of which I was expecting little, ended up having its own level of interest. My only real complaint is that the extra string chord really made the transition to the EYM edit for the main title, and the way it is on the DE is just too abrupt a transition. I'm assuming now that that extra chord is actually the beginning of one of the original main titles. The edit in track one works well, though--and, man, "Narada Bing" and "Narada Boom" are really cool. Looking forward to legitimately having this and fully exploring the release!

With the money that Varèse supposedly made from the OST last year, I bet that alone could have been enough to pay for the choir over dubs for those four cues. Varèse just decided to go the cheap route and not pay them.

Someone posted on FSM saying that when he told JNH that Varèse opted not to pay the choir re-use fees for The Last Air Bender this poster said JNH was very disappointed in this news when he found out Varèse opted not to include the choir over dubs.

I mean hell for Star Trek, had Intrada, FSM or La-La Land had released this, they would have done it right and included EVERYTHING. Those four cues would also have had the choir over dubs.

Could you imagine a score like Godzilla or Independence Day with out the choir over dubs for the cues that have them?

Good lord some people take these things too seriously. The truth is, Intrada, FSM, or La-La Land would probably never even attempt to release Star Trek. You're missing some choir, it's not a big deal.

The reason there's no choir on this Star Trek album is because Giacchino produced it with the intent for the fans to sing along to it.

He wants you guys to provide your own choir for the cues. Sing along songs!

It's a lot of fun singing by yourself, BUT, the more, the merrier! Get your family and relatives singing, too! :P

Mine shipped! :P

Listening to this release makes me appreciate all the hard work that you put into your edit, Data. That has been a real joy these past 6-7 months. It's not entirely obsolete yet...it may prove handy for certain cues and sections that did not make it. Thanks again!

Beyond the rim of the starlight,

my love is wandering in star flight.

I know he'll find

In star clustered reaches

Love, strange love

A starwoman teaches.

I know his journey ends never.

His Star Trek will go on forever.

But tell him while

He wanders his starry sea,

Remember,

Remember me.

Listening to this release makes me appreciate all the hard work that you put into your edit, Data. That has been a real joy these past 6-7 months. It's not entirely obsolete yet...it may prove handy for certain cues and sections that did not make it. Thanks again!

Certainly...thanks for your kind words! :P Although I'm happy to say my old edit should be mostly obsolete now, I'm sure I'll still use bits and pieces of it in my new version, once my DE arrives. (I know I could be "previewing" it right now, but I've decided to just wait and work on other projects in the mean time.)

With the money that Varèse supposedly made from the OST last year, I bet that alone could have been enough to pay for the choir over dubs for those four cues. Varèse just decided to go the cheap route and not pay them.

Someone posted on FSM saying that when he told JNH that Varèse opted not to pay the choir re-use fees for The Last Air Bender this poster said JNH was very disappointed in this news when he found out Varèse opted not to include the choir over dubs.

My turn to be the annoying person who corrects stuff: Varese had nothing to do with Last Airbender, it was Lakeshore Records. So actually it isn't just Varese doing this.

My only real complaint is that the extra string chord really made the transition to the EYM edit for the main title, and the way it is on the DE is just too abrupt a transition. I'm assuming now that that extra chord is actually the beginning of one of the original main titles.

Yeah, there's a big difference between the strict film version (as presented on the DE) and the fan version ('Last Flight of the Kelvin and ther Birth of Kirk'). The latter lets Labor of Love go on for a few more seconds, and the DE has an edit in the main title, where the strings go 'prematurely' to a higher pitch.

I kept the fan version as a bonus track because I prefer how it flows, along with the OST's Hella Bar Talk which has a horn statement I enjoy.

And Hangar Management does indeed end very suddenly, but I notice the transition to EYM isn't very smooth in the film, so I just joined them together myself. No big deal.

Other than those niggles, this set is a revelation in terms of music detail. I haven't yet got my physical product so I can't comment on the box itself.

Probably they were down to a choice: release those cues without choir overdubs or not release them at all?. I guess we should be grateful they decided to include them in the end. Better than nothing! :o

:P Chutes and Matter

Someone should write to Randy Spendlove. Not because of the choir issues, but just to tell him he has an awesome name.

:P "007, I'd like to introduce you to Randy Spendlove. Now, behave yourself, 007." :o

Someone at FSM even had the audacity to suggest Michael Giacchino should have payed for the choir out of his own pocket.

Talk about dumb.

It's nice and easy for everyone to spend money that's not theirs. We have no idea what the costs are when it comes to these projects. Just because ID4 and Godzilla have choir doesn't mean it was feasible for Varese to do the same. Robert Townson and Varese have been in this business longer than any of these labels and have managed to stay afloat. So I would guess they know what they are doing.

I've seen the film, heard the music and frankly the missing choir doesn't bother me at all. It's in the cues it needs to be. I agree everyone is entitled to their opinions but I think some of this is getting out of hand.

I haven't seen the film in ages, but when I do, which will be after listening to the DE, I'll probably go "what's that damn choir doing there?"

'Damnit Jim, this is science fiction, not a superhero movie!'

Bah, I couldn't wait any longer. I'm now..."previewing." ;) Currently in "Hangar Management." It really is amazing how chopped up this score is in the film - I suspected there were edits in a lot of places, but I underestimated just how scrambled things are.

Bah, I couldn't wait any longer. I'm now..."previewing." ;) Currently in "Hangar Management." It really is amazing how chopped up this score is in the film - I suspected there were edits in a lot of places, but I underestimated just how scrambled things are.

Haha, I knew you couldn't wait for too long. ;)

Ya like I said the music in the film is badly hacked up as the music in The Phantom Menace is. It's quite sad to be honest.

Wow...there's more music missing than I expected...and more missing music than I expected. ;)

And oh my goodness, I love finally hearing the end of "Mandatory Leave of Absence" cleanly! It's such a unique and...spacey statement of the main theme.

Wow...there's more music missing than I expected...

Wait, what is missing other than what's already been pointed out?

-Narada Bing (first minute)

-Main Titles (Version 1)

-Main Titles (Version 2)

-4 choral overlays

-6 percussion overlays

-Whatever that little bit was added to the end of the end credits

There are more passages missing, I believe. I haven't finished listening, so I guess some or all of them could be from later tracks, but I highly doubt that. I'm making a list and I'll post it once I finish.

;) "Scotty's Tanked"

I think Jason's right what he listed was practically all that was missing. Well also the film version for the end of "Jehosafats" when Olsen dies but I still think that's just a tracked/pitched edit from a couple of other cues.

There are more passages missing, I believe. I haven't finished listening, so I guess some or all of them could be from later tracks, but I highly doubt that. I'm making a list and I'll post it once I finish.

;) "Scotty's Tanked"

Three cues that we thought were original cues turned out to be music tracked from other cues. We figured them out in the last couple pages of this thread

Apparently Alan's hypothesis was wrong. According to Chris Tilton, "The Flask At Hand" is the proper cue on the D.E.

Okay, so, I guess we're missing:

* the first part of "Narada Bing"

* original main title(s)

* awesome film version of Robau talking with George as they leave the bridge

* the music in the "Flask at Hand" scene in the film

* cool statement of the B-theme that comes after "Matter? I Barely Know Her!" in the film

* at least part of "The Jump" - some of the elements can' t be heard elsewhere

* the main theme near the end of "Chutes and Matter"

* main ostinato near beginning of "I've Fallen and I Can't Beam Up!" - they dialed out everything but the strings

* film version of "Nice to Meld You"

* end credits final crescendo

* alternate end of "To Boldly Go"

Also, the missing choir in "Spock Goes Spelunking" is inexcusable! X( I mean, they could have even thrown in some synth choir instead...anything! The whole melody is missing at first!

But I digress. On the whole, I'm so grateful for this release. It's hardly perfect, but there's so much new music to enjoy, and so many sources of confusion that have been cleared up.