New Varese Star Trek the Deluxe Edition!

Ollie

I still haven't gotten mine yet, though I waited until there were "fewer than 2500 remaining". It could be a while, I think. Hopefully next week.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, it sounds pretty bad.

I don't think it sounds bad, just not what we heard in the movie.

I plan on doing a couple of these mixes, including a slightly modified cue for when the Enterprise shows up shooting, and recreating the cue for Amando going outside and seeing the drill.

Should be fun.

OneBuck, that is definitely a must-have for me. I wish we had that alternate statement of the main theme from the moment when the Enterprise warps in firing. I don't understand why the OST version of Nero Death Experience was reused on this set, since the film-version of "Hella Bar Talk" was is present. Kinda strange.

So, reading through alot of these comments, can I assume that, had the score not been left largely unedited in the film, we would have a second "Ultimate Edition"?

Sounds to me like the release is quite lacking, even putting aside the missing choir for a minute.

Speaking of Ultimate Edition and choirs - can you imagine the choir being left out in future Prequel "Ultiamte Editions"?

OneBuck, that is definitely a must-have for me. I wish we had that alternate statement of the main theme from the moment when the Enterprise warps in firing. I don't understand why the OST version of Nero Death Experience was reused on this set, since the film-version of "Hella Bar Talk" was is present. Kinda strange.

Aside from the Chorus, it is likely tracked from Enterprising Young Men.

Does this set include the tiny cue when the Enterprise finally decides to fly into warp for the first time? Or was this tracked from somewhere else too?

"Let's Punch It." :)

Here here, Mr.Movies.

I actually did the following with the Deluxe Edition in WMP:

- Combined the cues into a continuous "Album".

- Added Awasoruk Jam (from Datameister's edit) and Sabotage (purchased through Amazon MP3) in their correct sequence.

- Adjusted the track naming to match the correct cue names and combinations.

I'm still figuring out what to do for my customization. The only thing I've done so far is combine Nailin' The Kelvin / Labor of Love, and splice the OST's ending onto it. Currently I have the unused Main Title from The Reeling McCoy in place of the film version, but that's probably going to change. Certainly I'm going to do some work separating Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns and Black Holes Have A Lot Of Pull.

Either way, I'm looking forward to customizing this score. It's exciting! :)

Does this set include the tiny cue when the Enterprise finally decides to fly into warp for the first time? Or was this tracked from somewhere else too?

"Let's Punch It." ;)

Yup, it's at the tail end of Enterprising Young Men.

So, reading through alot of these comments, can I assume that, had the score not been left largely unedited in the film, we would have a second "Ultimate Edition"?

Sounds to me like the release is quite lacking, even putting aside the missing choir for a minute.

No, this is nothing like the UE. ;) In fact, it's very nearly the best one could realistically expect in an expanded release from a major label - especially only a year later. The music in the film is pretty badly chopped up, sorta like with TPM, but none of that choppage is heard in the Deluxe Edition. They pretty much just kept cues the way they were originally recorded. The only problem is that it's not a truly complete release - there are some alternate cues and so forth missing, not to mention the choir. But then again, Varese never advertised it as a complete release...which further differentiates it from the UE's blatant lies about containing every note recorded.

In other words, this is a wholly worthwhile and commendable release, with a lot of great music that we knew about and a lot of great music that we didn't know about. It's just not a perfect release, unfortunately. But that just gives us another project to have fun with. :)

I'm thinking, to aid in recreating / approximating the film edits, I'm likely to load the movie into Vegas (My Video/Audio editing software), and using this as a timing guide, saving out the reconstructed cues as MP3s or WAVs.

This way, I can get as close as humanly possible to the film's mix points and timing.

It might be a while before I have my first track done though. Real Life is like that :)

Giacchino's theme for Star Trek definitely has grown on me a lot. I wasn't too sure about it before but now I do like it a lot as well.

By the way this set has been getting TONS of play time from me lately. It's hard not to want to listen to it.

Edit: OneBuckFilms, looking over your track list, why would you want to include those two vocal songs? To me something like this having vocal songs like that would really disrupt the listening flow of the score. Then again most vocal music I really can't stand all that well.

Wow, I'm currently listening to the first disc ...

I had no idea that there was such an amount of awesome material in the film that I didn't catch!

Really, and I mean this with complete honesty, it is certainly a different tone, there is no proper Main Title à la Wrath Of Khan (although I would LOVE to hear the main theme being expanded into one), and it certainly includes some modern simplistic figures, but this score grabs me like an original Goldsmith would.

Trent, Awasurok Jim is an instrumental - and I've got it on my iPod, I love it. It's too bad there's no clean longer version.

Edit: OneBuckFilms, looking over your track list, why would you want to include those two vocal songs? To me something like this having vocal songs like that would really disrupt the listening flow of the score. Then again most vocal music I really can't stand all that well.

Awasoruk Jam has no lyrics, but is the source music from Uhura entering the bar. It's credited to Cyrano Jones as a Star Trek in-joke, but was actually done by JJ abrams and some other musicians.

I find Sabotage to work for me where it is.

In the end, I like both pieces, and regard them as part of the musical fabric of the movie.

I'm sure I'll include both in my revised edit. Pretty much all I listen to is orchestral stuff, but I do make exceptions from time to time when there's source music that I positively associate with scenes in films. And it's easy enough to skip such tracks if I'm not in the mood.

I think this release is going to go a long way in helping people appreciate the score more. It flows so much better, and there's a huge wealth of unreleased gems.

I think the idea of putting chorus only in the finale cues was mean to augment the power of the chorus? If it is all over the score, it loses some power, it gets diluted, over the top...

I must say that, ironically, the real sad thing about this release is that it has really botched of us having a true complete release... Nobody is going to leak a footwarmer now... (and seeing the trend in giacchino's scores, it is almost 100% sure we were going to get one*) so with that we would have gotten chorus and overlays (mixed in or isolated) and all minor cues...)

Shame it was talked of a 2nd volume since the very beginning...

But otherwise, we cant cmplain much of Varese's work :lol:

I think this release is going to go a long way in helping people appreciate the score more. It flows so much better, and there's a huge wealth of unreleased gems.

Somehow... the new cues sound detached from the familiar pieces on the OST... Now i think the OST really flowed very well. Very strange since i am a Giacchino fan... I think i got too familiar with the OST and did not bothered to listen to dvdrips or watch the film several times... (i just bought the DVD yesterday so i will ammend that).

i feel guilty ;)

I don't understand why anybody would want to listen to the Beastie Boys in the middle of enjoying a Michael Giacchino film score.

Well for Hella Bar Talk, they used Giacchino's original cue as intended; The OST version was an alternate.

He only wrote one version of Nero Death Experience; The changes to the cue in the film were all made editorially by the sound editors

Then you mis-interpreted all the comments. This release is nothing like the TPM Ultimate Edition. Except for the lousy packaging :)

Speaking of Ultimate Edition and choirs - can you imagine the choir being left out in future Prequel "Ultiamte Editions"?

The prequels were all recorded in Europe where their choirs don't have these ridiculous re-use fees that prevent stuff from being released at all.

I'm thinking, to aid in recreating / approximating the film edits, I'm likely to load the movie into Vegas (My Video/Audio editing software), and using this as a timing guide, saving out the reconstructed cues as MP3s or WAVs.

This way, I can get as close as humanly possible to the film's mix points and timing.

It might be a while before I have my first track done though. Real Life is like that :)

Why would you want to recreate all the film edits?

I must say that, ironically, the real sad thing about this release is that it has really botched of us having a true complete release... Nobody is going to leak a footwarmer now... (and seeing the trend in giacchino's scores, it is almost 100% sure we were going to get one*) so with that we would have gotten chorus and overlays (mixed in or isolated) and all minor cues...)

Actually, I think its MORE likely that the recording sessions will leak out now. Before, insiders knew a Varese D.E. was coming, and didn't want to damper their sales. Once the D.E. sells out, I betcha the recording sessions will hit the net - or at least the passages not on the D.E. will

Actually, I think its MORE likely that the recording sessions will leak out now. Before, insiders knew a Varese D.E. was coming, and didn't want to damper their sales. Once the D.E. sells out, I betcha the recording sessions will hit the net - or at least the passages not on the D.E. will

Lets hope :)

I bet if Giacchino read this whole thread, he'd be amazed to learn some of the things he intended.

That's exactly what I thought when I started reading this thread few weeks ago (and few others on other forums). There's nothing like speculations where you know pretty much nothing about the subject. When I get to read comments from either Giacchino, Tilton or Townson on the matter I'll start to believe in things. As it stands, it's a waste of time.

Karol

That's exactly what I thought when I started reading this thread few weeks ago (and few others on other forums). There's nothing like speculations where you know pretty much nothing about the subject. When I get to read comments from either Giacchino, Tilton or Townson on the matter I'll start to believe in things. As it stands, it's a waste of time.

Ah, art is only open to interpretation and speculation by its creator? Duly noted.

I love it when someone comes into a thread and tells everyone involved that they're wasting their time. I see it fairly often on various boards, and it always cracks me up, because I must wonder exactly how much time is "wasted" reading threads, determining that they're worthless, and typing up an explanation for all these people you've never met. :) No offense or anything...I'm just saying that it strikes me as a bit ironic. Nor am I saying that I personally like indulging in the kind of in-depth speculation that some people do about some topics. I just don't make a habit of telling people they're spending their time poorly unless I'm actually a part of their life and have a more objective reason to do so.

I just don't make a habit of telling people they're spending their time poorly unless I'm actually a part of their life and have a more objective reason to do so.

I'm only talking about my own time here. :) What people choose to do with theirs is not my business.

I am, however, amused by how often people criticize different projects (i.e. CD releases, for example) for being misrepresented, even though they actually know, well, nothing about the process. It must be puzzling and discouraging for the labels to read so many pages of complaining on different boards, sometimes even before they get to listen a note. Spoiled brats!

Karol

Chorus or not, this score earns a lot of points when listened in complete and chronological order. It's a very, very good score.

That I complete agree with.

Chorus or not, this score earns a lot of points when listened in complete and chronological order. It's a very, very good score.

That I complete agree with.

I disagree.

That I completely agree with.

I agree.

I agree with the previous agreement as well as the agreement beforehand to the original statement. Which I agree with.

I also agree with the aforementioned agreement that proceeds the agreement beforehand in regards to the agreement that proceeded said agreement....... ;)

My copy finally arrived. Haven't gotten home to rip it yet.

One odd thing, though... For all this whingeing about "no chorus" in so many tracks, it just seemed very surprising to see the personnel listing for the chorus in the (quite lame) booklet.

My copy finally arrived. Haven't gotten home to rip it yet.

One odd thing, though... For all this whingeing about "no chorus" in so many tracks, it just seemed very surprising to see the personnel listing for the chorus in the (quite lame) booklet.

There are 3 tracks for which Varese chose to pay for chorus - "Nero Death Experience", "Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns", and "End Credits"

There are 5 tracks for which Varese chose not to pay for chorus - "Welcome Back, Spock", "Nero Sighted", "Spock Goes Spelunking", "Does It Still McFly", and "Back From Black"

The other day I took the DVD and went thru the scenes that featured the chorus and quite frankly the missing choir is no big deal.

Until someone officially speaks on it I'm going say the Varese assembled the cues they felt were the best representation of the score. And I cannot argue with them.

TPUE this is not.

The other day I took the DVD and went thru the scenes that featured the chorus and quite frankly the missing choir is no big deal.

Until someone officially speaks on it I'm going say the Varese assembled the cues they felt were the best representation of the score. And I cannot argue with them.

TPUE this is not.

The man is a genius.

Listen to him.

TPUE this is not.

I'm sorry, but you're crazy if you think that the missing choir in Spock Goes Spelunking and Back From Black is no big deal.

Well if you want to go that route, I think you all are whining over nothing and making a big deal about nothing. And making accusations about Varese with no concrete evidence to back it up.

I would like to hear from Michael Giacchino or Robert Townson and I can tell we won't hear from the latter. So everyone can either work on assembling their own preferred copy or just enjoy the music. I choose to appreciate the effort Varese has made and enjoy the music. This isn't a half assed thrown together project.

Now if this were done in the same mode as TPUE I would be raising hell. But it's not.

The more I listen to the score, the over all lack of choir for those certain cues doesn't really bother me that much any more. I for one am grateful Varèse has released this to us. I had been wanting to hear the previously unreleased music cleanly since last year and since I started listening to Joe's (Datameister) edit of the score.

This is definitely not like the case of The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition...well the packaging maybe (I still shudder at it) but the representation of the score definitely is NOT and far from it. Like Mark O. had the music actually been heavily edited like in the film then yes I would have been raising hell about it.

I'm sorry, but you're crazy if you think that the missing choir in Spock Goes Spelunking and Back From Black is no big deal.

Ask your mommy to sing you a lullabye when those come on.

Oh no, they can fuck things up like a jury in an OJ trial.

But this is one case when they hit the ball out of the park. And the anal ones are throwing hissy fits.

Well if you want to go that route, I think you all are whining over nothing and making a big deal about nothing. And making accusations about Varese with no concrete evidence to back it up.

I would like to hear from Michael Giacchino or Robert Townson and I can tell we won't hear from the latter. So everyone can either work on assembling their own preferred copy or just enjoy the music. I choose to appreciate the effort Varese has made and enjoy the music. This isn't a half assed thrown together project.

Now if this were done in the same mode as TPUE I would be raising hell. But it's not.

It absolutely is a half-assed, quickly thrown together project!

-Horrible packaging with no liner notes

-Listing the wrong musicians and choir members in the booklet. This will probably get them in trouble with the AFM.

-Accidentally using the wrong take of material more than once

-Neglecting to include the choir on the cues that it was recorded for

-Only including one version of each cue. No bonus track section at the end with alternates.

I'm not saying its a bad release, or that I'm not grateful for it. But it WAS quickly produced, and as a result several errors appear.