New Varese Star Trek the Deluxe Edition!

Ollie

* awesome film version of Robau talking with George as they leave the bridge

That is not just material in "Narada Boom" mixed differently?

* the music in the "Flask at Hand" scene in the film

That's just Main Titles (Version 2)

* cool statement of the B-theme that comes after "Matter? I Barely Know Her!" in the film

That's just tracked from the End Credits

* the main theme near the end of "Chutes and Matter"

You sure that's not tracked?

* alternate end of "To Boldly Go"

What?

Also, the missing choir in "Spock Goes Spelunking" is inexcusable! X( I mean, they could have even thrown in some synth choir instead...anything! The whole melody is missing at first!

TOTALLY agreed!

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently Alan's hypothesis was wrong. According to Chris Tilton, "The Flask At Hand" is the proper cue on the D.E.

Surprised by that. It really does match Chris Tilton's own description of the original main title. Still tempted to use it as the main title to be honest just because it fits the bill and at least provides something slightly different than an edit down of Enterprising Young Men.

Does everyone agree that the sound quality on this set is far superior than the OST?

Does everyone agree that the sound quality on this set is far superior than the OST?

Absolutely. Even on the "preview" I've been listening to.

* awesome film version of Robau talking with George as they leave the bridge

That is not just material in "Narada Boom" mixed differently?

Nope. It's a completely different alternate passage, and one of my favorite bits of music that wasn't on the OST. Bummer that it wasn't included.

* cool statement of the B-theme that comes after "Matter? I Barely Know Her!" in the film

That's just tracked from the End Credits

But there's more material right after that that's definitely not from the credits. They flow well together, replacing the music from the beginning of "Jehosephats", so I assume that whole passage is another alternate.

* the main theme near the end of "Chutes and Matter"

You sure that's not tracked?

If it is, it's tracked from another unreleased cue. ;) We haven't heard it anywhere else.

* alternate end of "To Boldly Go"

What?

It's in my old edit - there's a track near the end just titled "To Boldly Go", and it ends with a quick, loud burst of the main ostinato. It's possible that passage was intended for somewhere else, but in the special features, that's where the music was. Maybe it's part of one of the main titles or something.

EDIT: By the way, now I'm sure I'll be futzing around with all this new material to create what will most likely be the final version of my edit. I'll throw in my old bonus tracks, use the film version of the main titles (edited better than the DE edit), combine cues where necessary, split cues off into separate tracks where necessary, etc. There are going to be some tough choices to make, though...the percussion, choir, and alternate issues make this a real challenge.

But I'm putting that off for now. Gotta finish my HP:SS complete score + children's suite first. ;)

Nope. It's a completely different alternate passage, and one of my favorite bits of music that wasn't on the OST. Bummer that it wasn't included.

[...]

But there's more material right after that that's definitely not from the credits. They flow well together, replacing the music from the beginning of "Jehosephats", so I assume that whole passage is another alternate.

[...]

If it is, it's tracked from another unreleased cue. ;) We haven't heard it anywhere else.

Interesting! I'll listen to the rear channels of the dvd tonight to hear these!

It's in my old edit - there's a track near the end just titled "To Boldly Go", and it ends with a quick, loud burst of the main ostinato. It's possible that passage was intended for somewhere else, but in the special features, that's where the music was. Maybe it's part of one of the main titles or something.

Ahhh. I thought that was something you invented yourself; Didn't realize it was presented that way in the special features.

I don't even know what the hell you're talking about.

I never paid much attention when I saw the film and that was once.

What makes you think I drew these conclusions while watching the film? ;)

Mine arrived, but I haven't opened it. It is being lumped in with my Father's Day Motherload of gifts, so I must delay gratification until Sunday.

Awesome film version of Robau talking with George as they leave the bridge

Actually now I remember that piece not being on the D.E. and was disappointed it wasn't there. What's on the D.E. is alternate material. All though the rear channels have no sfx for that portion...well very low rumble from the engines of the Kelvin but it's not distracting. For my iPod I inserted that instead of what's on the D.E.

Edit: Also Joe is right about the beginning of "I've Fallen and I Can't Beam Up!". I think what's on the D.E. for that portion is alternate material, not just simply dialed out from what we hear in the film.

I actually like the D.E. version better, oddly enough. There's a lot of unused passages that seem a bit more nuanced and refined sounding--richer. That's one of them.

Do we know where the music over the exterior shots of the Academy right before the Spock/Spock Prime meeting scene is? It's different from the opening passage of "That New Car Smell," but I don't know what it's from.

I suspect the "I've Fallen But I Can't Beam Up !" material that is missing may have been an overlay of brass material that was omitted.

You'll notice that its muted trumptets and horns that are missing, but the rest sound the same for that portion.

Yeah, that's what I meant - when I first heard it, I thought it was just a different passage, but then I realized that they'd just dialed out the brass and woodwinds. Very strange choice. It sounds incomplete...for obvious reasons...and that part sounds great with all the instruments present.

As for the part on the Kelvin, I just love that little motif that gets introduced in "Narada Boom", and the missing statement is subtle but militaristic. It's one of those little snippets that I think is just such fun.

Do we know where the music over the exterior shots of the Academy right before the Spock/Spock Prime meeting scene is? It's different from the opening passage of "That New Car Smell," but I don't know what it's from.

Ya I believe that was taken from "One Proud Mother" and slightly pitched.

As for the part on the Kelvin, I just love that little motif that gets introduced in "Narada Boom", and the missing statement is subtle but militaristic. It's one of those little snippets that I think is just such fun.

I love that part in the movie. It's like going from the danger of what's happening, to the Captain going into action. Starfleet's best.

Mine went through Ft. Worth early this morning, so it might not have gotten here in time for the morning sort, my mail usually comes around 10-11 AM. Tomorrow looks good.

I never received a shipping confirmation... hope it arrives soon nevertheless... too bad that also means there's no tracking...

Mine's still apparently "In process". :)

I probably wouldn't be so annoyed about it, were it not for the fact that people living in another continent across the frickin ocean have already received theirs. Like, a day or two ago already.

Sigh.

Actually, the Varese website lists my order as 'in process'... I ordered 06.01! Grr

Gentlemen, never go by what Varèse website says, you should know that by now. Mark O. has posted saying that he has an order from their very first club release that shows it as "still in process".

Edit: John and I must have posted at the same time.

Good to know... my older orders all say 'shipped', so I wasn't sure... thanks, guys.

I know it doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't shipped. But I mean, and no offense to non-North American-ers, but how the heck do Europeans get their copies before someone in the same country from which they're being shipped?

I think they shipped them out in the order that people placed their orders. So it's possible some people over seas placed their orders way before people here in the U.S. All though sometimes I too agree don't understand how some over seas are able to get their orders first.

Mine arrived last night! I really dislike the packaging in just about every way. Its big, its bulky, its full of useless and wrong information.

Oh well. The music's great.

We have arrived at Wulcan!

Why in the name of Sarek is this packaging so BIG?

Now, the dilemma- to listen now or to keep watching the live stream of Tiger's group at the US Open?...Oh, I can do both!

Wonderful set. My appreciation of this score has jumped markedly. It does seem odd that the choir is totally absent until "Nero Death Experience." It's too bad, I would have liked to hear the choral overlays in earlier cues. And the decision to use the film version of the main title is disappointing. But basically? It's the complete score to the film in great sound. Enough said.

Okey dokey then.

First off, I think you're all high - this packaging's great. It's pretty lacking in content, to be sure, but I like it. I don't really have anywhere to put it at the moment, but I'll find somewhere.

Now, onto the music... this is what, 53 minutes of music we haven't had previously? 55, if you include the alternate version of Hella Bar Talk. And it sounds fantastic, better than the OST (not that it was terrible, but it was a trifle flat).

Honestly, if Data's excellent edit hadn't existed, I'd be irritated. But the thing is, I've never met a soundtrack I didn't customize. It's a challenge, and to be honest, I find it fun. Same with here - a little tweaking, utilizing the OST and Data's edit (and whatever music can be ripped from the blu-ray) and it'll be just about perfect.

Regarding the percussion and choir overdubs... I could give a crap about the former, except for perhaps Hangar Management. That instance certainly helped it. As far as the latter goes, my biggest gripe about this release is not being able to hear Back From Black with that glorious choir. But I suppose I can make do with the DVD-rip.

So yeah, it's not perfect (few soundtracks are), but this is pretty damn deluxe. Thanks Varese!

Here here, Mr.Movies.

I actually did the following with the Deluxe Edition in WMP:

- Combined the cues into a continuous "Album".

- Added Awasoruk Jam (from Datameister's edit) and Sabotage (purchased through Amazon MP3) in their correct sequence.

- Adjusted the track naming to match the correct cue names and combinations.

I'm considering reconstructing as Alternates some of the cue combinations / tracking to match the movie, such as recreating the lead in to "Hangar Management", and it's mix into Enterprising Young Men.

1. L Split / Narada Bing

2. Narada Boom

3. Hack To the Future

4. Nailin' the Kelvin

5. Labor of Love

6. Star Trek

7. Sabotage (The Beasty Boys)

8. Head To Heart Conversation

9. One Proud Mother

10. Awasoruk Jam (Cyrano Jones)

11. Hella Bar Talk

12. The Flask At Hand

13. Welcome Back, Spock

14. Vulcan Gets a Good Drilling

15. Hangar Management

16. Enterprising Young Men / Take Off, Eh?

17. Flying Into a Trphlthdl / Warping Into A Trap

18. Nero Sighted

19. Matter? I Barely Know Her!

20. Jehosafats

21. Chutes and Matter

22. A Whole In My Hearth

23. I've Fallen and I Can't Beam Up!

24. Spock Goes Spelunking

25. An Endangered Species / Live In An Elevator

26. Galaxy's Worst Sushi Bar

27. Mandatory Leave of Absence

28. Dad's Route To School