New Varese Star Trek the Deluxe Edition!

Ollie

Really? I tried using the invert method to try to mix out "Star Trek" and get a clean opening to the portion of "Narada Bing" on there and it didn't work

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, unfortunately, there's a slight discrepancy between the speeds or something. But that's only noticeable when you try to cancel out the tracks, which really requires the two signals to be absolutely 100% identical. Whatever ever-so-slight differences exist here are not enough to impact the sound quality in any way that the human ear can detect. If you want proof, put both copies of "Star Trek" or "Enterprising Young Men" into a playlist, hide the track times and album titles, hit shuffle, and hit play. Make note of which release you think it is, then see if you were right. Hit shuffle again, and do it again. And again. And again. Like, 20 or 30 times. I can guarantee none of us will be able to get much more than half of them right.

In fact, just because I can...I'm gonna try it. ;)

EDIT: Bah, not even gonna bother. I started to do it, but I couldn't hear the slightest difference (except perhaps in volume level), and I knew I'd just be guessing. :P

I don't know if it was asked already, but now that we have The Deluxe Edition, is there any reason to keep the OST? Are there any tracks that differ between the releases? I still have the OST on my iPod, but am considering unloading the album.

Keep the OST. The differences are few and subtle, but they're there:

* "Star Trek" has a clean ending on the OST.

* "Nailin' the Kelvin" and "Labor of Love" have their full ending and beginning on the OST.

* "Hella Bar Talk" has the horn solo and less percussion on the OST.

* "Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns" has a clean ending on the OST.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Again, not a big deal at all, but the OST is definitely not 100% obsolete.

So, finally got my CD too... did anyone else feel reminded of the Indiana Jones box? I mean, plenty of pretty pics, almost no text? Anyway, I like the score... and am glad I never bought the OST (nor do I think these subtle differences mentioned above would make me feel different about this). I'm still not quite sure about the main theme, but the music overall is very enjoyable.

The blend of the main theme with the cadet's theme in "Trekking Down The Narada" is marvelous

Keep the OST. The differences are few and subtle, but they're there:

* "Star Trek" has a clean ending on the OST.

* "Nailin' the Kelvin" and "Labor of Love" have their full ending and beginning on the OST.

* "Hella Bar Talk" has the horn solo and less percussion on the OST.

* "Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns" has a clean ending on the OST.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Again, not a big deal at all, but the OST is definitely not 100% obsolete.

Data is right. I should point out that all of this is pointed out in my thread

Is that Courage's theme making a cameo at the tail end of Hangar Management?

Yup! Something also pointed out in my thread ;)

I was wondering who coined the term "footwarmer." Wojo, you may become part of film music history. Or at least JWFan history.

Blume- just out of curiosity, do you think this release has a better mix than the OST? Sounds a bit fuller to me.

Ahhh it still frustrates me John.

There are tracks that certainly sound full and rich, but overall there is something too anemic about most of it. Instruments that should be sounding full come across as flat, dry, and without any dynamics. There is little interaction or life to it, very clinical.

Compare the opening brass hits of "The Riker Maneuver" from Insurrection with the opening of "Nero Sighted".

Another comparison is "Open The Gates" (especially around 2:20, the clarity of the brass mmm mmm mm) from ST:V vs. "Chutes and Matter."

Chutes and Matter just sounds meh....and on top of that very messy. Because for some reason Mr. Giacchino does not believe in instrument separation.

For the hell of it I briefly skimmed over Clemmen's review of the 2-CD set for Star Trek and something towards the end caught my eye.

"The additional music on this $30 2-CD set quenches some fans' thirst for key missing cues (including more erhu/Vulcan moments on the first CD), but doesn't offer much to change a person's opinion about the entire work."

Can we remove this idiot from the gene pool please? I've all ready read some comments where people have said they like the score now more than when the OST came out because of the previously unreleased material. I swear this guy is a bit of a tool...

That's his opinion, it's not like he's forcing it on anybody or treating it like fact. I see nothing wrong with that excerpt.

Can we remove this idiot from the gene pool please?

:lol: You want to kill him?!

:lol:

Clemmy has some peculiar standards.

That he does...

Wojo,

By the way, with what you're hearing in terms of quality for the score is probably with how Giacchino divided up the orchestra. I thought I read on FSM that Giacchino put up walls between each section of players, similar to what Michael Kamen did for good portion of his scores. Goldsmith (never did that), Williams, Elfman, Arnold and quite a few other composers don't do that, so that's why their scores sound more lush and fuller compared to Giacchino's.

That's his opinion, it's not like he's forcing it on anybody or treating it like fact. I see nothing wrong with that excerpt.

Can we remove this idiot from the gene pool please?

:blink: You want to kill him?!

;)

Not neccesarily... just sterilise him will do that.

Wojo,

By the way, with what you're hearing in terms of quality for the score is probably with how Giacchino divided up the orchestra. I thought I read on FSM that Giacchino put up walls between each section of players, similar to what Michael Kamen did for good portion of his scores. Goldsmith (never did that), Williams, Elfman, Arnold and quite a few other composers don't do that, so that's why their scores sound more lush and fuller compared to Giacchino's.

Thanks for answering a question I never asked. :blink:

That explains why his music sounds like you're speaking into cupped hands held 2 inches from your face.

What Trent said has zero to do with the sound quality, actually. The iso booths were simply so that they had clean recordings of the different instrument sections for ease in mixing or creating new cues based on the brass from one cue and the percussion from another, etc.

The reason the sound quality is the way it is is because the sound engineer placed the mics too close to the instruments.

But it also supresses and affects the sound waves interaction with the studios space which sucks the life out of the sound. So it does affect the mix.

D'ya think the sound engineers are objective enough to listen to the final product for Star Trek and say, "Ewww... that sounds like a wet blanket."? It really is a bland recording.

Yup, down to the useless old fart who mixes his albums.

I take that back, Shawn Murphy has done some great mixing, and some really bad ones. He's hit and miss, but at least he has really good hits.

Oops sorry I meant to post that as Blumenkohl. I was logged in as Wojo and forgot.

At least you're still trying, Joe never logs in as Ren anymore.

The new release solves some of the score's problems go and it feels better now. The main theme is not so ever-present all the time. So it was worth it to buy it. But I still don't what's so special about it. It covers the bases for the most part, but never really does feel like ST (by that I mean: like s-f space score). No wonder to be found here. It's fine and I'm glad to have this, but that's about it. It could have been so much more. The score, I mean.

Karol - not bothered by music presentation or packaging at all

Just a bit of a fun note....I tried syncing up "Narada Bing" and "Narada Boom" to the film. "Narada Bing" works all the way through to when the Narada emerges from the black hole. "Narada Bing" lines up for the beginning part until Ayel comes onto the screen, after that point it doesn't quite line up any more. I think there was some pick up or re-shoots for that sequence and that's probably why they did some tracking from the beginning of "Hack To The Future" in that part.

When it hits fewer than 500 I may buy another one or two. I don't want to use them for resale, but I hope they'll be popular enough to appreciate in value enough for me to be able to use them as leverage to get some past sold out Varese club releases like Great Escape or The Robe.

That's a good sign, in as much as it will show the AFM what happens when they play ball.

crocodile - I don't consider it a masterpiece either. Excellent score, but not one I ever got overly excited about. Considering I got the original for free (still legit) though, it was time I paid for the score.

Oops sorry I meant to post that as Blumenkohl. I was logged in as Wojo and forgot.

At least you're still trying, Joe never logs in as Ren anymore.

Wait. Joe was/is Ren? Seriously?

I'm not around much so I probably missed the big reveal. But still: hahahahahahahahahahahaha

I find it very disturbing that the cover features Kirk, Spock and ... Uhura? Could as well be Chekov.

If anything, it should be Kirk, Spock and Bones.

Succumbing to women ... pathetic.

Zoe what's-her-face who plays Uhura is one of the most beautiful women on the planet, so I have no problems with her being on the cover... :D

Bones might be on the next one when he emerges as more of a main character. In this film, I feel Uhura had a part that was bigger than Bones...just *slightly* bigger. ;)