New Varese Star Trek the Deluxe Edition!

Ollie

Yes I for one will be editing "Main Title (Version 2)" from your set (found inside "The Reeling McCoy") and placing it in between "Labor Of Love" and "Head To Heart Conversation". I'll never want to listen to tracked music from Enterprising Young Men in that spot.

Hopefully the D.E. will include the version of Hangar Management with additional drums, as I have no reason to listen to the version without. Too bad there is obtrusive sound effects in the dvd rip. Same with the choir for "Does It Still McFly" and "Back From Black"... if the D.E. doesn't have those, I guess I'll have to edit them in from Data's set.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as long as you don't care about alternate mixes and cues and so forth, the score itself should be totally obsolete! tongue.gif

laugh.gif

I really appreciate what you did though. I love the alternate material you culled, but to be honest, I've only ever listened to the score itself.

Most anticipated cues:

- Hangar Management

- Jehosafats

- Chutes and Matter

- Spock Goes Spelunking

- An Endangered Species

- Galaxy's Worst Sushi Bar

- I Gotta Beam Me

- Trekking Down the Narada

- Black Holes Have a Lot of Pull

colgate.gif

I'm still waiting for SAE to ship out my order from their clearance sale. I bet one of the Morricone CDs is on backorder. Same thing happened not too long ago, had to wait like a month for it to ship.

crogrr from FSM just posted and confirmed that "Does It Still McFly?" and "Back From Black" DO NOT have the chorus overlays. That's rather disappointing...ah well guess I'll have to do rear channel rips for those two cues.

I don't know the score well enough to know what's missing, but I've ordered it anyway because it just clicked with me.

I was listening to the OST "Back From Black" this morning, and I think this track had choir in it?

What's missing from the Varese Deluxe Edition is the choir that is supposed to be in "Does It Still McFly?" and "Back From Black", which were not included in the OST either. Though they can be heard in the film.

Also missing from the D.E. is the original version of the Main Titles that Giacchino wrote. His original version was rejected, so he wrote another. That was rejected as well, so in the final film (and on the D.E.), an edit of "Enterprising Young Men" is used.

It remains to be seen if the 15 second "Kirk's Trial" cue is on there... and it remains to be seen if the chorus that is meant to be in "Spock Goes Spelunking" is in there.

Chris Tilton also added beefier drums to the track "Hangar Management", and it remains to be scene if the D.E. contains them or not. They can be heard in the film.

"Enterprising Young Men" and "Hella Bar Talk" both got additional percussion, as well...maybe a few others, too. Can't remember for sure. In any case, I'm guessing the original mixes will be used. Which, with the exception of "Hangar Management", I don't mind.

This is the price we pay sometimes :)

In the same way that I'll be screaming like a baby if Mattessino or Redman have messed anything up on The Edge ;) I'm way too familiar with score-in-film for comfort.

But I've only seen Star Trek once and wasn't concentrating on the music, so I have little idea of how most cues sound in the film actually.

Well, to my shock I was greeted this morning to a package in my mail! My first thought was that it was this, even though I still haven't even gotten a shipping notice.

But instead it was my DVD copy of Tales of Monkey Island that Telltale has had on backorder for 3 months. Wonderful and disappointing at the same time. :huh:

Choir/Percussion overlays or no, it is still great music we're getting here :huh:

Spock goes Spelunking, though, requires the choir to work musically. It's integral to the piece.

The cues on the OST, however, don't require the choir/percussion overlays in the same way.

If the choir in Spock goes Spelunking was clearly part of Michael's original composition, I see no reason for them to drop it. Particularly as someone pointed out that another cue shows signs of an edit when the choir comes in, hence not included in the DE.

I have no real proof for this theory, but I think ALL the choral elements were written and recorded around the same time. Their arrangements, performances, and sound quality are consistent. Without any insider insight (paging Mr. Tilton! :huh:), I'm gonna guess that they were all written by Giacchino, with the knowledge that some of the material might be dropped if needed.

Yea, of course all the choir was recorded at the same time, and always intended to be used in the film as an integral part of the cues.

Varese just skimped out - twice now - on paying the fees to include it on CD. Sucks.

I'd like to know more about the rejected Main Titles. How do we know of their existence, and has anyone heard them? Are they any good?

Chris Tilton described both of them to us, and Giacchino's second attempt was used in the shuttle takeoff (prior to 'THREE YEARS LATER').

With releases getting longer, I initially thought that the AFM was just getting its act together, but maybe not.

Apparently at least one track in Alice in Wonderland has the choir replaced by synth, JNH's Last Airbender loses the choir entirely, and now this - maybe it is a trend, and a worrying one.

Surely a choir would earn vastly more if they just charged less, and increased the chances of a label deciding to pay them at all?

I agree it does suck that this is a continuing trend. I wish AFM would lower their fees for scores. A lot of these scores would benefit in having the chorus overlays... IE: Star Trek and such.

I'd like to know more about the rejected Main Titles. How do we know of their existence, and has anyone heard them? Are they any good?

If you go right here, you will find descriptions of all the various Main Titles.

Well, to my shock I was greeted this morning to a package in my mail! My first thought was that it was this, even though I still haven't even gotten a shipping notice.

But instead it was my DVD copy of Tales of Monkey Island that Telltale has had on backorder for 3 months. Wonderful and disappointing at the same time. ;)

I just saw on my Facebook page that one of my friends who lives near Houston received their copy today.

The American Federation of Musicians has nothing to do with choir. Choir is an entirely separate entity from the AFM altogether.

I believe scores that utilize both the AFM as well as choir list their members under separate sections, either printed inside the booklet or on the inside of the back cover - at least, both Ice Age: The Meltdown and X-Men: The Last Stand has everything laid out that way.

It could also explain why scores such as Intrada's recent release of Jack the Giant Killer are missing some of the choral overlays, because the choir sections are recorded separately from the orchestra (but in that case, it wasn't an issue of not being able to pay the choir organization, but because those separate takes were missing).

Slightly off topic, but Star Trek related; we have a "Enterprise" special today.

I watched a couple of episodes, and I can honestly say it's one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Starting with the spectacularily off-putting title song, and continuing with bad writing and characters without personality and face.

How can sentences out of a human mouth appear *so* written?

There is not one character I found remotely likeable. Not to mention the sloppy plots.

Well, ranting's over ... back to some Next Generation thrill.

In defense for Enterprise...Season 4 really made the series good. All though a bit too late but it was clearly the best season. Season 4 paid a lot of homage to the Original Series with their back stories.

For the rest of Enterprise, I didn't mind it as a whole. Well I liked all of the Xindi story arc the most. The only thing I hated was all the time travel crap.

The so called "Series Finale" was just utter crap. It was a punch in the face to the rest of the series and I hated the way how it was handled.

DS9 is easily my favorite Trek, in large part because of it's un-Trekness. Rarely if ever has there been a such a large ensemble of rich, diverse characters on TV, and combined with the serialized plotting and darker edge (for Trek), it was really something special.

TOS is great when you stick to the good eps and in small doses. I tire out of it easily, though I could watch the movies practically forever.

Enterprise got a lot better it's last couple of seasons. They tried to do some DS9-style serialization, but they just didn't have the characters or universe to pull it off. The show was Archer, Trip, T'Pol, and a whole bunch of nobodies.

Most of Star Trek is boring except the first 6 movies with the original cast and the new film last year

I'll take Lost in Space 1000X over Star Trek ToS

TOS is endearingly cheesy. It's weird going back to watch the series when all you've watched for the last few years are the movies; I was laughing out loud at 'Balance of Terror', just because I'd forgotten how goofy the aesthetic is. Of course, once you get used to it, it's entertaining.

I'll take Lost in Space 1000X over Star Trek ToS

Remove Lost in Space and enter Doctor Who, and that's me. Any era from 1963 to today, I don't care.