Old School versus Young Blood!

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you more looking forward too?

• Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
    • Star Trek (2009)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Trek. If TSFS had been written the way it was written with no TWOK before it, it'd win hands-down. But since so much of what I like in TSFS is just adapted from TWOK, and I already have TWOK, it's not as exciting a release for me. Star Trek, on the other hand, is quite different from any other Trek score, and I know that the additional music is quite good, even though it can't match the level of amazingness Horner pulled off in TWOK and then adapted for TSFS.

I am more looking forward to Star Trek III: The Search For Spock, hands down...

...because I bundled that order with four other soundtracks: THE HOLLYWOOD FLUTE, 99 AND 44/100 PERCENT DEAD!, ROCKY IV, and IMAGES.

5 > 1

You should add an option for "Both" Steef. :P

I can't honestly pick one over the other as I'm equally looking forward to BOTH of them.

I'm looking forward to both of these pretty much equally, but Star Trek (2009) very slightly more.

Either way, I'm so unbelievably spoiled between Trek II, Trek III and Trek 2009, all pretty much complete, and find myself wanting to kiss the feet (figuratively speaking) of everyone involved with these releases.

The last year has seen holy grails of all kinds being released, from InnerSPACE, the aforementioned Trek scores, Twilight Zone: The Movie, Back to the Future etc., that this is probably one of the best times to be a film score fan.

I'm excited about both but I'm looking forward to III because I've had a 26 year wait for it.

I thought this was gonna be movie and series oriented, in which case I was gonna say First Contact. However, seeing as I've never seen (or heard) Trek III, I'll have to default to the reboot score, which was a good, if hardly great, score.

I ticked the only one I bought: ST 2009.

I'm not drooling in anticipation, but I have removed the 'bonus' cues from that expanded version and basically re-ripped the OST, in preparation for all the extra material we're getting.

But I'm keeping "Last Flight of the Kelvin and the Birth of Kirk" because whoever did the edit did a near perfect job, and might be worth keeping instead of re-editing it from the new set.

III. I'm really looking forward to 09, but there's nothing in there that I'm absolutely dying to hear, whereas like Mark, I've been waiting for certain parts of III for a long time. Also, I never owned the GNP album.

III

I know it isn't the greatest score ever, but it is the piece of music that changed my life. When I first listened to it, I had been playing in the junior and senior high school marching bands for three years, but had been so focused on what I had to do, that I didn't hear what was the band was playing. (Yes, feel free to snicker on how the musicmanship of such ensembles is such that it is highly unlikely that anything produced by them could be, even charitably, called music.) But, just sitting in the back room of the house, listening to that tape, I was agog at what an orchestra could do. That was the day I started listening to orchestral music and enjoying it. I quickly became a soundtrack collector and have been for the last quarter century.

So, no matter what, III will always have a special place in my heart. You know, kinda like the song that was playing during my first kiss.

Recently my boss cut everyone's hours by 20%, so funds are tight. III was a no-brainer for me; I'm going to need to rewatch Star Trek before deciding on whether to pick up the new VS version. I have the original release and am glad that the new version includes more previously unreleased music than was originally released (somewhere around 50 vs. 46 minutes, I think).

I listened to Star Trek 2009 today and I must say, it's okay. It has some good themes but the overall listening from the ost cd didn't impressed me much. Giacchino is a solid composer, but I prefer Star Trek 3.

BTW, I'm glad that all the Star Trek 2009 fans are getting a deluxe treatment, but I am happy that I can save some bucks :P

ST III. James Horner > Michael Giacchino

Also, it's a foregone conclusion FSM's packaging will rock.

I don't think this expanded Star Trek 3 has much more to offer than the OST ,and as a whole the score is a lesser version of Star Trek 2 (except Stealing the Enterprise...and we have that already)

For Star Trek I only like a few tracks from the OST...so I don't see how an expanded album would make me change my mind.

So neither

What I think ,is that if your an unconditional Trekkie or Giacchino fan, you may be influenced to think the score is better than it actually is.

I like some of Giacchino's work, but this one isn't great (except for a few tracks,as I said). I'm still disappointed he couldn't come up with something better for his first "big break" blockbuster score .I like the actual movie a lot,but it doesn't make me like the score more than I should.

What I think ,is that if your an unconditional Trekkie or Giacchino fan, you may be influenced to think the score is better than it actually is.

I've listened to Giacchino scores and Trek scores that I really didn't care for at all, yet I enjoy Star Trek quite a bit, while acknowledging that it's not a huge masterpiece or anything. Why do you have to denigrate people's reasons for liking the score? Can't they just...like it? Isn't that okay?

Why do you think I'm denigrating anyone? I'm just stating my opinion on it

Pretty much the same way I feel about Back to the Future and a few other overrated scores

It sounds a little bit like you're saying that people with different tastes are unable to tell the difference between genuinely liking a score and just being persuaded by other unconditional biases. I may be overreacting, but you already managed to turn this release into an excuse to complain about Williams releases, so I could be a little on edge. :)

I was wrong about doing that. I keep hoping for the next big Williams release like Hook and it never comes. I tend to vent out when other scores I'm not interested in get a top notch release and I know I shouldn't do that.

I tend to vent out when other scores I'm not interested in get a top notch release and I know I shouldn't do that.

Isn't that basically anything that hasn't got that tired Hollywood-cum-Prokovev vibe of POTTER&HOOK? :)

I found Giacchino's 40-minute album more than sufficient and didn't even bother to convert the old STAR TREK III album to mp3 before selling it. It's not bad, but you're really well-served with STII. And i never understood what's so great about STEALING THE ENTEPRISE. It paddles along most of its running time, with some good moments sandwiched in between.

I like some of Giacchino's work, but this one isn't great (except for a few tracks,as I said). I'm still disappointed he couldn't come up with something better for his first "big break" blockbuster score.

Doesn't the Star Trek music belong to Paramount? They should have just cut and paste Goldsmith's original score for TMP for ST 11. That would've made all the naysayers happy.

Star Trek 2009 rubs me the wrong way. The theme is just irritating and it's repeated so many times. I guess I can appreciate the guy doing his own thing and not relying on themes composed for the original series, especially since they were re-inventing everything. Still, I was expecting a score more in line with the previous ones. I guess I was spoiled by the Goldsmith and Horner movie scores and the Courage theme. Another thing about the new music is that it has this Hans Zimmer/MV-ish sound to it, which I hate.

The worst thing about the theme is it's badly underdeveloped. A half decent bridge and a nice big reprisal could've worked wonders. The school of JW teaches this.

I was wrong about doing that. I keep hoping for the next big Williams release like Hook and it never comes. I tend to vent out when other scores I'm not interested in get a top notch release and I know I shouldn't do that.

If I did that, I'd spend 90% of my time venting. Batch after batch comes from Intrada and I'm rarely interested but I try not to complain because I know that every release will be a grail for someone. We all just have to wait our turn Mark.

I'm in agreement with many here that this is far from a *great* score. Some cues do rub me the wrong way a little and yes the theme is pretty undeveloped, but I still enjoy it as an album experience and it's worth shelling out £25 to hear the rest of what MG came up with.

The worst thing about the theme is it's badly underdeveloped. A half decent bridge and a nice big reprisal could've worked wonders. The school of JW teaches this.

Yeah.. Yeah.. That's it. Well said.

Really looking forward to both, but I'll give the edge to Star Trek. I think it's an important score, in that it shows the way forward for orchestral film music, much like The Wrath of Khan (but not The Search for Spock, of course) did. Think about it: maybe Giacchino has learned by pastiching the classics, but could "Enterprising Young Men" have existed ten years ago, or even five? I don't think so. It's a trendsetting score.

It annoys me sometimes, but I think it's brilliant that Giacchino got so much mileage out of so few notes. That's musical economy. "Hella Bar Talk" exemplifies this. It's just the same four chords over and over and over but Giacchino keeps it interesting through rhythm, dynamics and orchestration.

Search for Spock. Obviously, as I haven't ordered Star Trek 2009.

You should order Giacchino's Trek. You may like it.

Koray's correct, I have the OST, and I rarely listen to it. I enjoy it when I do, but not enough to spend 35 dollars on an expanded score.

That is true. Giacchino can write very compelling music, but he never seems to do that with his themes the way Williams often does, and that does disappoint me. I'd love to see him become more sophisticated in the way he constructs his themes.

I do love what you said about him getting a lot of mileage out of relatively few notes, Henry. It's why I don't particularly have a problem with people who don't like his music - I mean, I used to dislike it, too, but eventually it just clicked. Some of what he writes is pretty simplistic, but it has an inexplicably strong emotional connection.

I think that the main theme was purposely not fully developed in this movie, as the characters are all still coming into their own. Though, it does get a somewhat decent "big" version when the enterprise rises from behind Titan.

Anyway, I think that the theme will be developed further in the sequel. Kind of like how Bond is slowly earning the Bond Theme in the Craig movies

Really looking forward to both, but I'll give the edge to Star Trek. I think it's an important score, in that it shows the way forward for orchestral film music, much like The Wrath of Khan (but not The Search for Spock, of course) did. Think about it: maybe Giacchino has learned by pastiching the classics, but could "Enterprising Young Men" have existed ten years ago, or even five? I don't think so. It's a trendsetting score.

It annoys me sometimes, but I think it's brilliant that Giacchino got so much mileage out of so few notes. That's musical economy. "Hella Bar Talk" exemplifies this. It's just the same four chords over and over and over but Giacchino keeps it interesting through rhythm, dynamics and orchestration.

:thumbup:

And lets not forget that Giacchino has said that he did write a bigger theme, but after consulting with JJ and, I assume, the Supreme Court it was toned down to something more basic to reflect, as Jason said, the "coming together" nature of the story. I expect larger things in the sequel.

Giacchino himself suggested that the Enterprise theme is a Courage's theme. That's why it appears only at the end. The new theme is Kirk's. And yes, while I understand where Giacchino is coming from, it is still disappointing.

Karol