Old School versus Young Blood!

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you more looking forward too?

• Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
    • Star Trek (2009)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing about the new music is that it has this Hans Zimmer/MV-ish sound to it, which I hate.

I've read comments like these ever since the score came out, and I never understood them. The theme, while not complex, uses triplets in a way that completely sets it apart from all the regular MV power anthems, and the much-criticized sound is, if anything too earthy, as opposed to the distant MV sound which makes it hard to distinguish real instruments from synths.

I will order both but Search for Spock is easily the one that I am most anticipating. I have always loved that score, even more than Wrath of Khan. It just has a melancholy and introspective quality, even in the more exciting bits. There is a lot of essential material that was left of the original release. The Enterprise Death scene and the break up of Planet Genesis alone are enough to make me buy this new release. While I enjoy Giachinno's Trek it is also the most generic and mainstream sounding of all the Trek Scores. Of the 2 new releases Trek 3 just has more emotional resonance for me.

It's okay, pretty good even. But I dunno, something about the orchestration of his music (in general) doesn't gel well with me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's almost as if he's trying too hard to fill in the gaps, to make use of his instruments - to give them something to do, and it just seems a bit, well, "orchestration for the sake of it" and... amateurish. I do like his Trek melody though. Maybe he just needs time to mature.

He's definitely not the best conductor. I saw him conduct the recent LOST concert, and his pattern is a little...unusual, and not all that expressive. But he gets the job done, and it's his composing that I'm interested in, anyway.

I've seen 'worse' conducters than him before in the classical repertoire, and the music was fantastic.

Sure, and that doesn't make him a good conductor in the film music repertoire. There are some pretty basic things he could improve upon. (something as simple as conducting in 2 rather than 4, for example... easier on the arms and it makes more sense musically in this case.) But anyway, I don't at all mean to knock his skill as a composer. For this Star Trek concert he was given professional musicians who did a great job.

It's okay, pretty good even. But I dunno, something about the orchestration of his music (in general) doesn't gel well with me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's almost as if he's trying too hard to fill in the gaps, to make use of his instruments - to give them something to do, and it just seems a bit, well, "orchestration for the sake of it" and... amateurish. I do like his Trek melody though. Maybe he just needs time to mature.

I said something similar about (the, at that time newbie) David arnold's 3rd film score, ID4.

I almost did not live to tell it.

Good luck! :lol:

Apart from leading the tempo, and giving the musicians something to look at, other than the audience's empty, burrito-scarred faces, what's he there for?

And what if he suddenly conducted for instance the Throne Room finale in 3? No player will go "oh, I had it all WRONG!"

I said something similar about (the, at that time newbie) David arnold's 3rd film score, ID4.

I almost did not live to tell it.

Good luck! :lol:

Big difference though: Arnold is a much better composer than Giacchino.

I like them in very different ways. I've only recently gotten familiar with ID4, whereas I've had Star Trek to listen to for a year or however long it's been. Obviously, ID4 is a lot more traditional, and in some ways, I have a lot more respect for it. Star Trek is such a different score...I really like it a lot, but I'm not sure if I can say I prefer it outright.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about Giacchino's main theme. I love certain variation of it, particularly those in the end credits and "Nailing the Kelvin," but sometimes the mix of the MVish side and the Hornerish side rub me in the wrong way.

I still don't get the MV thing, I really don't. I don't hear anything similar, it's all Giacchino.

Oh, and for the record: Medal of Honor series > ID4 > Star Trek. :lol:

I still don't get the MV thing, I really don't. I don't hear anything similar, it's all Giacchino.

I hear it. Something about the first two measures feels a little Zimmerish. Doesn't bother me, though.

Oh, and for the record: Medal of Honor series > ID4 > Star Trek. :lol:

Actually...LOST > Star Trek > Medal of Honor, and then ID4 is just off on some completely unrelated scale so that you really can't compare quantities.

So long as we're ranking random scores, I'll do my Giacchino collection:

1. Up

2. The Incredibles

3. M:i:III

4. Star Trek

5. Ratatouille

(I didn't include Cloverfield.) Not sure why ID4 is on the list but I'd probably place it either just above or just under Star Trek.

I wouldn't think any less of someone for feeling that way. For some reason, I haven't fully connected with ID4 on an emotional level yet, but it's a very fine score.

ID4 is really very, very good; but damn it's loud. Too loud. Arnold gets a bit carried away with some of the action stuff - erasing a substantial degree of class, from the score.

Apart from leading the tempo, and giving the musicians something to look at, other than the audience's empty, burrito-scarred faces, what's he there for?

And what if he suddenly conducted for instance the Throne Room finale in 3? No player will go "oh, I had it all WRONG!"

Professional, skilled musicians can play fairly straightforward music competently without a conductor... yes.

Conducting is a worthless area of study... no.

I honestly don't hear the Media Ventures rift at all in Giacchino's Star Trek. The score is by far better than anything any of the other Media Ventures guys could turn out.

Professional, skilled musicians can play fairly straightforward music competently without a conductor... yes.

Of course. Watch a nutter like Gergiev do his thing (conduct) and tell me the orchestra's performance wasn't massively influenced by his direction.

I didn't say that; but sometimes I get the impression conductors conduct for their own enjoyment more than for the orchestra's needs.

I mean, I've been to rehearsals, I know that conductors shape the performance during rehearsal, but in the actual concert, it seems more like an energetic kind of thing than an actual technical issue.

Also, I didn't say Star Trek is better than ID4, I just like it alot more. Again, it's an energetic thing, I can just get into Star Trek more.

I don't think there is a direct connection between Star Trek and MV; there is just a certain vibe in the simplicity of some rhythms and the percussion that snuck into film scoring in general, thanks to Remote Control. I think that's what people often perceive as "MV influence".

Yeah, I'd never mistake it for a score by Zimmer or his cohorts, but I do hear the influence. The Horner influence comes through strongly in that Neapolitan chord, but I certainly wouldn't mistake it for a Horner score, either.

I personally don't hear the MV influence at all. But then again, we are all attuned slightly differently when it comes to saying things like "That sounds like an X score".

What Neapolitan chord, can you be more specific?

I don't hear anyone easing Ice Cream in the score :lol:

The third chord of the main theme. Something about it made me think of TWOK from the very first time I heard it, though it's certainly a very different theme. I'm actually not sure why - Horner didn't really use that chord progression in TWOK. But I feel a certain kinship between the scores in that moment.

The third chord of the main theme. Something about it made me think of TWOK from the very first time I heard it, though it's certainly a very different theme. I'm actually not sure why - Horner didn't really use that chord progression in TWOK. But I feel a certain kinship between the scores in that moment.

Well, the neopolitan in root position to dominant progression shares a tritone relationship with Spock's theme from TWOK. It's pretty thin though.