James Horner's "The Karate Kid"

Demondm810

Been listening to this score all day. I absolutely love it.... However, it looks like it will be download only, as i cannot find any online store that is carrying it other than Amazon.com, where they offer the "CD-R manufactured on-demand". :lol:

Too bad, really. Horner seems like he's back in the zone.

Anyone else know any more information?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm rather confused.

The filmakers call it "Karate Kid", but the new version of the film is based in China at what looks like a Shaolin kind of complex, and he is taught Kung Fu? Erm.......

That aside, I just listened to some of the score on YouTube.

Nice, even if the part from 00:30-01:10 reminded me of his score for Troy :lol:

I should 'imagine' it will probably appear on a disc in the near future.

I too have been listening - and thoroughly enjoying - this score today....had it on iPod whilst decorating....sad news (if true, and it does seem that way) that there will be no CD as yet....the track "From Master to Student to Master" has ben on repeat quite a bit....

Wow, he's really changing up his Vaughn-Williams rips!

Really makes you ponder the age-old question 'Is it called progress if a cannibal uses a fork?'

It's sort of Avatar meets something piano based, and I really like it after only one listen.

I think this goes down as the surprise of 2010, and JNH's Last Airbender goes down as the disappointment of 2010. First M. Night score I probably won't be buying.

What I've heard so far is decent. Not as good as Avatar, but it's certainly good Horner work.

And the track title "Jacket On, Jacket Off". All I have to say is "Jacket Off" is well... Pretty obvious where I'm going with that.

Yes I thoroughly enjoyed this score even if he does rehash his score from AVATAR in places.

I think this goes down as the surprise of 2010, and JNH's Last Airbender goes down as the disappointment of 2010. First M. Night score I probably won't be buying.

Just the first track of JNH's The Last Airbender blows away almost anything Horner wrote in the last decade!

IMHO, of course.

James Newton Howard's music is a dull as dyke water....with the exception of THE VILLAGE score.

Sheesh, again such an incurable and unashamed plagiarist.

I couldn't even make it through the first track. I decided to listen the original Firebird instead.

Just the first track of JNH's The Last Airbender blows away almost anything Horner wrote in the last decade!

IMHO, of course.

I don't care for it myself. A lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

James Newton Howard's music is a dull as dyke water....with the exception of THE VILLAGE score.

You don't even like JNH's Dinosaur or Atlantis: The Lost Empire?

^ Both have some really great themes and moments. I admit that his action scoring in both tends to leave me a little bored, for much the same reason that modern JW action scoring doesn't tend to appeal to many of us as much as his earlier work does. It tends to feel a little bit like a chaotic mess of vaguely interesting dissonances. But even the action music has some highlights in those scores. Both scores are really at their finest when their respective main themes come into play, though. If I had to reduce my rather small JNH collection down to two tracks, it'd be "The Submarine" and "The Egg Travels." Really excellent stuff - I enjoy it as much as I enjoy some of Williams' work.

Yuck! I facepalmed when I discovered JNH was responsible for that embarrassingly generic chord progression that tries to be a main theme...seriously, Zimmer has written plenty of material with a lot more originality and character than that. Can't say I paid too much attention to the rest of the score, though, so maybe it's better.

His action scoring for me is very hit and miss, although I won't place all the blame on him, as different directors will ask for different things. Also I listen to any JNH action cue from the last few years cue, and then put on 'Hand of Fate', I'm left wondering what on earth has happened to action scoring in the last 10 years?

He's also not very good at surprising me, and what I mean by that is that I look down on any piece of music where I can predict the chord changes or melody in advance (except where themes are quoted, etc). It's like the composer just isn't trying, and it disappoints me to say that I've heard it rather a lot from JNH recently.

It's pure drama where I think he's best. Listen to 'Charades' from Lady in the Water or 'Swimming' from The Water Horse for two recent examples of where I think it sounds like he's having fun with the orchestra. There's also tons of it in Signs.

Obviously I'm biased, but I find it hard to believe Hitch that you find nothing interesting in his work outside The Village.

It's definitely my favorite new theme. When I first heard it in "Happily Ever After," man, it just blew my mind it was so amazing. That whole episode is where the season really started to reach new heights for me. My second favorite theme would probably be the Temple's. But look at us, discussing LOST in a Karate Kid thread :lol:

I like JNH's work on the Fugitive. The main theme was okay, but I enjoyed the chase and fight sequences.

Unbreakable is another good one IMO. The scene in the train station where Bruce reads people (Visions)...fantastic music.

JNH's Dinosaur?

I listened to that yesterday, after years in the shelves.

Man, i remembered why i like this score :)

There is some great orchestral power in many tracks.

Some brass and theme remembered me of Goldsmith, am i right?

I love the hommage to Williams in 'Raptors'

• 5 months later...

I finally gave in to listen to this score, and it's absolutely wonderful. It's got that sweet and optimistic sound that I remember loving so much from Horner's scores from the 90's. I know it may be wrong, by I hope it gets a nomination. I can imagine Horner smiling from ear to ear while writing and conducting this.

Just a little thing... Anyone else noticed the Stravinksy homage at the opening of "Leaving Detroit". Really wonderful ;)

I have the Conti set sitting on a shelf- not sure why I bought it, I don't see myself listening to it any time soon. I have just however listened to Horner's, and I think it's quite a charming score. Least amount of Hornerisms than any recent Horner score I can think of, and in general, a nice change of pace. Certainly makes me appreciate him more than something like Avatar.

I have the Conti set sitting on a shelf- not sure why I bought it, I don't see myself listening to it any time soon. I have just however listened to Horner's, and I think it's quite a charming score. Least amount of Hornerisms than any recent Horner score I can think of, and in general, a nice change of pace. Certainly makes me appreciate him more than something like Avatar.

If only the RCP licks would vanish. It's not Horner's fault, but still...