Why do they always jack up the cover on movie rereleases?

ChuckM

Take The Untouchables for example. This is one of my favorite movie posters (one of my favorite movies too, actually).

untouchables.jpg

Very clean and uncluttered. An almost perfect poster. The VHS stayed very close.

71K1SXR6EYL._SS500_.gif

But then the DVD release came along, and they changed the tint, and added completely unnecessary font effects to the title.

51KE78NPXFL._SS500_.jpg

Worse yet, for the Special Collector's Edition, they ran a bunch of bullet holes through it! Not to mention the red box and tacky frame.

512spKVBGdL._SS500_.jpg

And thus is has stayed for the Blu-ray version, although at least they cleaned up the frame a bit.

51hJOgBGaRL._SS500_.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blu-ray book cover of Batman (1989) is comparatively ugly. I don't get why they took that shiny gold Bat emblem, arguably one of the most popular, iconic and recognizable movie posters ever, and made it appear as though it was colored in with crayons.

Don't even get me started on pretty much everything Lucasfilm has released.

The people who market home videos have zero clue. They think that paintings = "old" = poor sales.

Some worst offenders:

jawsart.jpg

You gotta be kidding, right? :eek:

starwars.jpg

Yeah, I remember my first day with Photoshop. :lol:

trek.jpg

A crime against humanity. :angry:

terminator.jpg

I think I threw up in my mouth. :banghead:

They're so modernized and ghastly. That's the key word. The current movie-going and DVD-buying public accept everything with frankly appalling poster art like J.J. Abrams' Star Trek. We think it's ugly because we grew up on masterpieces. This generation of nitwits must think a blurry out-of-focus shadow of a spaceship against a white background is a Van Gogh.

Maybe some day, assuming physical media is still popular, the trend will become to take the crappy Photoshop abominations that are modern posters and upgrade them to classy hand-painted artwork.

Check out the 2006 Original SW Trilogy DVD covers for the complete opposite process.

Before

51Bj07iY24L._SS500_.jpg

After

e0a7810ae7a0f7b57488e110.L.jpg

You're kidding, right? :lol:

Recent ones are Collateral, Minority Report, and Road To Perdition. Why can't they just keep the DVD art for the Blu? The MR one doesn't even look like Tom Cruise.

LOL Minority Report is especially ridiculous. Collateral is indeed not far behind. Awful.

This isn't quite the same, but I wish they would have used the Strutzan drawings for the prequel DVD covers instead of the real people floating heads. Same for the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

The Star Wars DVDs are particularly bad offenders. First day with Photoshop indeed!

Granted, I don't particularly like some of the old posters. The fact of the matter is that some of them truly are dated. That doesn't justify making terrible attempts at modern versions, though.

I can think of some that look better 'now'

For example, the many posters and VHS/DVD covers for Lawrence of Arabia.

My DVD of it (the 2 disc set) below. Functional, but rather dull and lazy in terms of effort.

2pt6yoz.jpg

Yet there are later ones (as far as I know, they came later) which are gorgeous.

2n4p4h.jpg

Look at the Jaws original and the Jaws DVD release, one is striking the other strikingly ugly.

Universal allowing that always baffles me. They just don't appreciate their works of fine craft/art.

Luke on the first ROTJ DVD cover looks like his head is pasted onto a little boy's body.

The Ghostbusters DVD and BD covers are horrendous. They took the classic logo on black and put it against green and blue jello.

Luke on the first ROTJ DVD cover looks like his head is pasted onto a little boy's body.

Of course, in the original ANH art, he looks like his head is pasted on Arnold's body... :rolleyes: