Why do you still come to the John Williams message board.

Why do you still come to Jwfan.com  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you still come to visit the John Williams message board.

• To see if John Williams has died yet.
    • To see what new scores are being released.
    • To talk about Michael Giachinno.
    • To talk about Hans Zimmer.
    • To talk about movies and film scores.
    • To see if maybe John might be scoring something soon.
    • To see the infrequent posts by Ricard.
    • Other reasons: you got some splainin to do Lucy!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry - my bad grammar - I insulted someone in that good thread, and you were kind enough to compliment me on the insult. I took great pride in this. Of course, such pride usually comes before a fall.

Link? Refresh my memory. I'm drawing a blank here.

Neil

It all started going bad right about HERE

To periodically see a bunch of guys oooh and aaaah over an upcoming soundtrack release that, up until the announcement, NOBODY here was pining for.

...and then to check back and see how many of those guys then plunk down hard-earned cash for the suddenly-long-searched-for cd :) .

Really though, I find that I only check this place out about once or twice a week. Kind of sad.

I come here because the only person I can physically interact with about film scores is my brother.

The only other person I know who gives a rat's ass about film music is my brother

Likewise. :)

I find no reason to even have the JWFan main page in my favorites. The forum has whatever content was posted and saved in the archive like score analyses (which were really helpful), chronological sequencing and currently the news updates that, let's face it, are mostly not related to JW because he hasn't got much of anything going on lately.

Sorry - my bad grammar - I insulted someone in that good thread, and you were kind enough to compliment me on the insult. I took great pride in this. Of course, such pride usually comes before a fall.

Link? Refresh my memory. I'm drawing a blank here.

Neil

It all started going bad right about HERE

It's a football thing, apparently. It always ends the same. :lol:

Karol

I tend to come here once or twice a month, just to see if there´s some new John Williams stuff coming up. :-) However, i hardly post anything in the forums, but it's really cool to see that some people I`ve had conversations with a looong time ago are still actively contributing to this community.

Yes, how does one pronounce the name of the current most overrated film composer?

HOW-rrd SHORE. :P

In all seriousness, though, why is Giacchino overrated? No one (except Spielberg that one time) is calling him the next Williams or anything. Everyone knows his approach is simpler, different. Not sure why it's so terrible to enjoy some of his work regardless.

It's not at all terrible - I like his Star Trek score and his Cloverfield end credits suite; but I just think people here go on about him like he's some sort of potential saviour of film music - possibly because there are a lot of Lost fans here, I don't know. I think he writes decent music, but I don't think he's anything particularly special.

I like Giacchino's refreshing approach and style. Might not be anything new - he's clearly influenced by Herrmann and even Williams, with some minimalistic composers too - but compared to the majority of music coming out of Hollywood at the moment he's a breath of fresh air. He's not the second coming or anything, but until someone really redefines the film score sound successfully (in the critical sense, not commecially) he's one of the best around.

That about sums up my opinion of the guy. He's not doing to film scoring what Williams did, and I doubt he ever will. But much of his music has an emotional tug to it that I like, and it certainly doesn't sound like any of the other music being written for television or film right now.

I've never seen or heard LOST, so I can't comment, but I'm a fan of MG just because he's done some great scores that stand out for me as some of the best film scoring of recent times, as well as some fantastic video game scores. There's still a lot of composers doing great work, but I think Giacchino is neck and neck with Desplat in consistently producing very good scores. I don't see him as some kind of saviour, but I think he (along with a few others) have the potential to be this generation's John and Jerry in a decade or so, especially at a time when movie music doesn't always seem as important as it was/should be by the studios. But they're certainly not there yet.

I think he and Desplat will be very good, very solid choice composers; but I doubt they'll ever reach the heady heights of Goldsmith and Williams. Maybe if they write that one, defining score, respectively; I'll change my mind.

Howard Shore achieved it and perhaps so can they.

I can see that now. When the complete Harry Potter scores are released, we can all "let go" and go into the light

The unreleased JW music pieces are actually missing fragments of our souls

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get what's the problem with pronouncing "Giacchino".

"Wojciech" is the true problem!

"Giacchino" is pronounced Cappuccino. The G and H are silent.

"Wojciech" is pronounced Voh-jheck. I asked Janusz Kaminski so he can't be wrong.

"Kilar" is pronounced Key-Lawhr.