The name pronunciation thread

ChuckM

I'll start with two for which I have no idea. I've heard about three different versions for each of these. What's the right way?

Ennio Morricone

Klaus Badelt

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assumed "En-ee-oh", but I could be entirely mistaken.

"Giacchino" is, of course, a good one. The correct pronunciation is "Jyah-kee-noh", not "Jee-uh-chee-noh" or any variation thereof.

It also took me a long time to realize that Neufeld (as in John Neufeld, one of Williams' main orchestrators) is pronounced "Noy-feld." Perhaps that's just me.

Ennio Morricone = En-knee-oh Moore-i-cone-a

I don't know how to phonetically write the "i" in his last name though. It's not just saying the letter, it's closer to "eh."

Klaus Badelt is pretty much how you think you would say it.

How about member names? :lol: I sometimes wonder if you guys know how to say my name. I think most don't, even though I've explained it several times.

I pronounced Varese as Var-es-a for the longest time, until my brother corrected me. I believe it is pronounced Var-ees.

Nope. Vah-rez.

If you want to get really fancy, you can do the French r in the back of your throat, too. :lol:

Actually, I never thought about the pronunciation of Varese before. I never had any reason to say it out loud, but in my head, I just kind of imagined it as "Vuh-rees." Now that I know it's French, the pronunciation Henry mentioned makes a lot more sense.

What about the second part of their name?

"Sarah-band", just like the name and the word.

After watching the latest Doctor Who episode... How do you pronounce "Van Gogh"?

I've heard it as "Van Go", "Van Goff" and "Fan Goch" (with the last one being the same as the Scottish "Loch")

You actually pronounce the "l" then? I would have thought that would be silent, sounding kind of like cadet.

"Giacchino" is, of course, a good one. The correct pronunciation is "Jyah-kee-noh", not "Jee-uh-chee-noh" or any variation thereof.

"Jah-", actually, if we're going by the original Italian. Which I think he does?

I don't speak Italian but I assume Morricone goes like this:

E (like in "bed")

NN (long N like in Spanish "perenne")

ee

o

Mo

rr (strong R)

ee

co

ne (like in "bed").

Correct.

You actually pronounce the "l" then? I would have thought that would be silent, sounding kind of like cadet.

Then why would it be there? :)

After watching the latest Doctor Who episode... How do you pronounce "Van Gogh"?

I've heard it as "Van Go", "Van Goff" and "Fan Goch" (with the last one being the same as the Scottish "Loch")

The last example is probably the closest to the original and correct Dutch pronounciation.

It also took me a long time to realize that Neufeld (as in John Neufeld, one of Williams' main orchestrators) is pronounced "Noy-feld." Perhaps that's just me.

That may be how he pronounces it, but producer Mace Neufeld pronounces it 'Noo-Feld'.

The real question for me is still Desplant. Even though I seem to recall hearing him pronounce it (or at least reading him pronounce it), I'm not sure. Dess-plah? Dess-plat? Deh-splah? Deh-Splat? Deh-plah? Du-plah? Du-splat?

That may be how he pronounces it, but producer Mace Neufeld pronounces it 'Noo-Feld'.

The real question for me is still Desplant. Even though I seem to recall hearing him pronounce it (or at least reading him pronounce it), I'm not sure. Dess-plah? Dess-plat? Deh-splah? Deh-Splat? Deh-plah? Du-plah? Du-splat?

No Belgium would be able to correctly pronounce Van Gogh.

You struggle with the "hard" G.

No, actually that's just the province where I come from!

Besides, it's the Belgians that pronounce the real Dutch; Dutch Dutch is just bastardized English-Dutch.

:)

"Jhan Vileeums" John Williams (Spoken by Bombay Chai Wallah)

"Jelly Gohlsmit" Jerry Goldsmith (Spoken by Bombay Chai Wallah)

"Bazil Pohlydourees" Basil Poledouris (Spoken by Bombay Chai Wallah)

Mmm. I know Conrad Pope pronounces it "Noy-feld"...

The last example is probably the closest to the original and correct Dutch pronounciation.

That was what QI said was the right pronunciation. I trust Mr. Fry.

You people really make easy things difficult.

Are you looking for a real challenge? Try pronuncing polish names. :)

Just add "Skee" to the end of everything,yes? :P

John Williamski.

Melange - Being silly.

Are you looking for a real challenge? Try pronuncing polish names. :lol:

Kilar has already been mentioned, with no answer yet.

It's like "killer" but with "a" instead of "e" ;)

Just add "Skee" to the end of everything,yes? ;)

John Williamski.

True ;)

- Chris, whose family name also ends with "ski".

I don't speak Italian but I assume Morricone goes like this:

E (like in "bed")

NN (long N like in Spanish "perenne")

ee

o

Mo

rr (strong R)

ee

co

ne (like in "bed").

It's quite correct, but in the Italian language the "i" is always short, and always pronounced like in the word "opinion". The accents are on the "E" of "Ennio" (like in "bed" - open accent) and on the second "o" of "Morricone" (like in "phone" - closed accent). The final "e" does not sound like in "bed", I would say it sounds like in "accent".