Films without music

Dumbledore

Hey guys

I was wondering if anyone knows where or how to get films that do not have the film score attached to it. I am looking to do some film music for my assignments but can only take out all the sound so I am losing the sound fx and dialogue as well as the music. I am not too fussy on what films I find, preferably something awesome ;) Or an alternative does anyone know how I could take the music out of an existing film without deleting the dialogue or sound effects???

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dumbledore

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you can usually decrease the prominence of the music by just using the center channel. That'll cut out any surround sound effects, though - pretty much all you'll get will be echo-less dialogue and whatever sound effects are directly in front. Also, I don't know how to get the video to play this way...I only know how to extract the audio.

One thing you can do is try to find scenes in films that simply weren't scored (or in which the score was dialed out). If you want to write some action music, for instance, the T-rex attack in Jurassic Park is totally score-less. I think it works brilliantly that way, but the scene is so interesting and exciting that I'm sure it'd be possible to write some great music. There's also a LONG sequence on Yavin in Star Wars without any music. I'm sure you can find similar scenes in lots of films.

Another thing you can do is see if you have any friends or contacts doing films of their own, and see if they'll send you a music-less version for you to score. A friend of mine did that for me.

Thank heaps for the ideas guys, it's a big help, I'll check out the DVD features, look out for scenes without music, and of course whole films without music. Birds and No country could be cool. Hitchcock always tried to avoid music ;) At least Herrmann got to work on the sound in birds :P

Thanks again guys will let you know how I go

I think the special features of Signs include certain key scenes without music to show the viewer how much music can add.

Just take a DVD movie with an isolated score, flip the audio to the score 180 out of phase, and juxtapose it against the main film...

Or just use something simple somebody else suggested.

"Cast Away" has no score until the last 20 minutes.

"The Panic In Needle Park" has no score, after rejecting one.

"Kramer vs. Kramer" has no score, after rejecting two scores.

"Gomorra" has no score, after rejecting one.

There was a film Wendy & Lisa were going to score, but didn't and it has no score -- I forget the name.

... flip the audio ... 180 out of phase, and juxtapose it ...

How do you do that? Can it be done in Audacity?

I couldn't tell you, I don't use Audacity. It might work in theory.

Films without music

The Hill (all on YouTube) By Sidney Lumet (1965)

No musical score, and a damn fine film Sir. Check it out, even if you don't end up using it. Harry Andrews,Sean Connery,Ian Bannen, etc.

Just take a DVD movie with an isolated score, flip the audio to the score 180 out of phase, and juxtapose it against the main film...

That's a really cool idea, actually. I'd like to see Superman or the Omen without score.

I looked it up and played around with it a bit. You actually can do that in Audacity. It's called the "Invert" effect. I don't have any DVDs with an isolated score to actually try a full score removal, though.

anything scored by Hans Zimmer has NO MUSIC in it. ;)

There was a place online, though I can't find it at the moment, that showed scenes from Jaws with and without the music. It above almost all others showed the effectiveness of film music. I also believe on my dvd copy of Halloween there is a similar sequence that shows how John's(Carpenter) music affect that film.

I remember classical music in Kramer vs. Kramer.

Agreed, but I can't remember what is is. Who wrote the two rejected scores?

That's a really cool idea, actually. I'd like to see Superman or the Omen without score.

Some films scream out for music. Imagine "The Hellicopter Rescue", or "Killer's Storm" without score...(shudders).

I looked it up and played around with it a bit. You actually can do that in Audacity. It's called the "Invert" effect. I don't have any DVDs with an isolated score to actually try a full score removal, though.

What you would have to do is:

1) Rip the entire normal audio track of the DVD as one stereo file

2) Rip the entire isolated score track of the DVD as one stereo file

3) Invert the isolated score track of the DVD

4) Add the inverted score to the normal audio track of the DVD to get an isolated dialogue/SFX track. Since each audio file would be the same length, synchronization would not be a problem.

Then you would just have to synch up the beginning of the DVD on mute with your new custom "soundtrack" playing in another program. I don't believe that Audacity can directly work with DVDs, as it's just an audio editor. If you wanted to actually author a custom score-less DVD to watch in the living program, well, every attempt I've made at authoring a DVD has ended in failure.