Let The Games Begin!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad it's started so it can be over with and ABC & ESPN will quit trying to cram soccer down the throats of everyone.

FOOTBALL, YOU NEANDERTHALS!

Well said, but "soccer" is more accurate, it being an abbreviation of "association football", under which category this competition falls.

If I was a betting man (which I am not), I would put money on either Holland, or Brasil.

P.s., 1-nil to England tonight.

When the English invented it they called it Football, or "footy". It has a literal meaning: Foot-ball ie, the FOOT is used to control the BALL. For some baffling reason, Americans chose to call there sport American Football; when they should've really called it American Handball.

Soccer though, is what highly unskilled foreigners play.

When the English invented it they called it Football, or "footy". Soccer is what highly unskilled foreigners play.

"Footy"; such an informal name, for such a serious game. Maybe that's why Liverpool finished 7th, this year. :)

For some baffling reason, Americans chose to call there sport American Football; when they should've really called it American Handball.

That's because they didn't have any philosophers to point out their mistake. :)

When the English invented it they called it Football, or "footy". Soccer is what highly unskilled foreigners play.

"Footy"; such an informal name, for such a serious game. Maybe that's why Liverpool finished 7th, this year. ;)

That hurt, man. That hurt deep.

For some baffling reason, Americans chose to call there sport American Football; when they should've really called it American Handball.

That's because they didn't have any philosophers to point out their mistake. :)

+1

The streets are very noisy outside here in Korea as they lead Greece 2-0.

Shouldn't have stayed out all night last night, tonight would have been much more fun. Drats.

I hope Spain loses. I hate when everyone starts talking about football around here. With everyone I mean everyone, all the time. Not that I don't like football, but c'mon.

I want the final to be Netherlands vs Spain so badly.

That final is the 11th, the 12th I fly to Madrid!

"Footy"; such an informal name, for such a serious game. Maybe that's why Liverpool finished 7th, this year. :)

Yeah, footy is such a prissy name. I don't like it.

Even though I really am not a sports fan, I would really love to see the USA team beat England's team. That would be so satisfying. I swear, no two days go by when I don't see some English person complaining about how stupid Americans are for calling it soccer. I mean, it's a frackin' name! There's no logic in it...

Ah, football. Another of those social acceptance rituals that most Boys find placed in front of them from a very early age to subscribe to, or to defy and face eternal exclusion as some kind of freak.

Even though I really am not a sports fan, I would really love to see the USA team beat England's team. That would be so satisfying. I swear, no two days go by when I don't see some English person complaining about how stupid Americans are for calling it soccer. I mean, it's a frackin' name! There's no logic in it...

I agree, I don't know what we're doing discussing this here anyway. After all - this isn't FIFA.com; this is the John Williamson message board.

Ah, football. Another of those social acceptance rituals that most Boys find placed in front of them from a very early age to subscribe to, or to defy and face eternal exclusion as some kind of freak.

^Yes!^

I agree, I don't know what we're doing discussing this here anyway. After all - this isn't FIFA.com; this is the John Williamson message board.

Other topics then? :huh:

I'm glad it's started so it can be over with and ABC & ESPN will quit trying to cram soccer down the throats of everyone.

Seconded. Though I'm always at least somewhat compelled by international sports competition, even if the sport in question is dull as hell.

You'd have thought that after the '94 experiment of having the World Cup here they'd realize the market in this country is only so big.

Other topics then? :huh:

Heh heh ;)

"Footy"; such an informal name, for such a serious game. Maybe that's why Liverpool finished 7th, this year. ;)

That hurt, man. That hurt deep.

Ahh. No offence meant, Quint. If it is any consolation, my team came third.

I hope Spain loses. I hate when everyone starts talking about football around here. With everyone I mean everyone, all the time. Not that I don't like football, but c'mon.

For your next wish, what do you hope for next?!