James Horner and the P51 Horsemen

TownerFan

So I was reading that the 192k MP3's are just audio rips of the videos...is it possible that if you rip the audio from the videos in 320k you'd get better quality files?

It depends what the actual bitrate of audio file to the videos is though, like if they're loss less or something

Not that there's anything wrong with the MP3's but 192k is bare minimum

192K works for me as long as the music is audible. It's perfect for me anyhow.

So are the MP3's you would buy just the audio portion of the videos, or are they the background music that the videos use?

I'm watching the 7:39 video with James Horner talking about flying and writing, and I certainly would NOT want to hear him talking about the music each time that I listen to the piece.

And there's no way to rip James Horner's loud vocals from these videos without compromising the much more subdued music behind it all.

It's a good piece of music. Pretty damn good.

Then the music isn't from the free videos you watch at ASB's website, which I could only download by parsing Vimeo links through the ConvertIt FireFox plugin.

Then the music isn't from the free videos you watch at ASB's website, which I could only download by parsing Vimeo links through the ConvertIt FireFox plugin.

If you buy the package you get the music only tracks as well.

I finally listened to the pieces over the weekend. Nice enough music. Still prefer his actual film scores to it.

Definitely not worth $25. They should sell them on itunes for 99cents each.

It's a really nice piece, but I find it drags a bit after a while. It stresses a bit too much the same ideas over and over. It could have been a 6 or 7 minute piece.

However, it's a showcase piece, so it fulfills its duty. Personally, I dig those great horn textures that open the piece.

Yeah it could have been a bit shorter but it's nice to know Horner still has those abilities in him when he's truly inspired or has the freedom to compose what he feels.

According to the video that James Horner narrates at the ASB site itself, he wrote the music as if it could accompany an air show of the Mustangs. I wouldn't want to see a 6 or 7 minute choreographed performance, I'd want something closer to a half hour. Its final length is a decent compromise.

It's film scoring in reverse.

• 1 year later...

You can now find a 12 minute suit of Horner's music for the "Horsemen" on iTunes. There are 2 tracks, a 4 minute track and a 12 minute suite. I suggest you buy the 12 minute suite called Write Your Soul.

Truly some fantastic music of the old Horner that I personally love. Of course, you will hear tons of Hornerisms in it, its still pretty awesome.

It was released a while ago but they've only released a cheaper iTunes alternative recently, just thought I'd point it out.

• 6 years later...

*BUMP!*

So, it seems this is no longer being sold on iTunes, and isn't actually available anywhere at all since Air Buzz Show folded and the rights to the music are probably on an auction block waiting to be snapped up by someone?  

The only thing that seems to remain online other than the youtube videos are this vimeo link I found

https://vimeo.com/38693408

In my research, I came across these two posts from FSM that are interesting:

"WRITE YOUR SOUL" NOW AVAILABLE ON CD!!!

Original James Horner compositions on CD (2 tracks):
1. Write your Soul 12:20
2. The Fourth Horsemen 3:58

Order here: http://www.airshowbuzz.com/horsemen

&

It's a DVDR and CDR housed in one DVD case, nicely printed. The last chapter of the main hour long documentary features brief Horner interview & footage (about 6 mins worth). The music video in the DVD extras is the 12 minute Flight demonstration music, and is quite spectacular really. Overall an unusual and rather cool addition to the Horner collection, but very expensive...

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=5&threadID=69073&archive=0

So my question is - did anybody here buy this DVDR/CDR set?