Go See Toy Story 3!

BLUMENKOHL

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first two are excellent. Animation at its best, and the second one is an example of how sequels don't have to be even slightly bad. I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the third one sometime soon...even if it does bring me to the verge of tears. (No film has ever made me actually cry, so I doubt it'd push me that far.)

This is one of the few films of the year I'm actually excited about. The first one is a masterpiece and one of my favourite films, the second one is really good and I love most of Pixar's stuff (my favourite is WALL-E). I just need to see this.

I plan on seeing it soon. Are you guys going for 3D or standard?

Seeing regular. Not in the mood to pay extra for 3D glasses or Imax.

I'll probably see it in 3D since I kept hold of the glasses when I saw Avatar.

Who isn't going to see Toy Story 3? I mean really.

Good point, I hated the first two and I'll probably see it.

I just discovered the digital booklet for the score in my iTunes. Don't know how I missed a new section entitled Books under TV Shows. Anyway, it says "Music Written by Randy Newman with Additional Music by Bruno Coon, Don Davis and Jonathan Sacks."

Don Davis?!

It was good and it did not rape my childhood. Although, I'm not that much older in the decade since the first two. I was between 8-12, around Andy's age in those I guess. It's when a couple decades pass and the filmmakers become old and jaded that childhoods are raped.

I saw it and it was every bit as fresh and entertaining as the first two - maybe even better since it's newer. I saw it in 3D and it's worth it if you're not a penny-pincher. It's not like Avatar where you will be blown away by effects - it's just kind of cool to have the immersive experience.

I have the same problem as Datameister with the crying thing. This one got pretty close to making me cry.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the un-thematic music. Nice homage to How the West was Won in the beginning, too.

I saw it yesterday, and I was incredibly surprised. The thing about these movies is that they correspond exactly with my age, you know? In the first one, I was a kid. In the second one, I was an older kid, a teen. And with this one, I'm in college. It's amazing how that influences my view of the film. The nostalgia factor adds a lot, and loving this films as a kid I understood a lot of the references they did to the other two films, and that had me laughing a lot.

The film presented an excellent villian, the only problem I had with it was that it was "introduced" too soon. I would have liked that they made us believe for longer that he was a good guy, and then... BAM!

Also, I had forgotten how much the way Woody runs make me laugh. It was great.

On the serious side though, the ending had me eyes all watered up. I didn't reach to cry, but I was on the edge of doing it. It was an amazing combination of nostalgia and happiness... Kinda like when I watch the first Brachiosaurus scene in Jurassic Park.

The score didn't bring anything new to the table (maybe except for the hilarious spanish-flamenco music and some of the serious action music), but I think that worked wonders. It had me remembering some of the tunes of the other films, and I really liked how "You've got a friend in me" was included in the underscore.

It's an excellent effort by Pixar, much better than Up in my opinion. If you are in my age range, you'll enjoy it a lot more. Go see it!

The good (or bad) thing is that this year two excellent animated movies will be fighting for the awards and the hearts of the audience: How to Train your Dragon and Toy Story 3. I still can't decide which one is better! (In terms of score, the first one)

I liked it a LOT better than Up or Wall-E. My problem with both of those is that they begin very awesomely and degenerate as they go on. In the case of Wall-E, the God awful spaceship scenes with the blob people, the case of Up, the dog jungle scenes. This sort of thing never occurs with the Toy Story films. If anything, they just get better as they progress. They are the definitive Pixar features.

For me, the tears almost came in a pivotal scene that builds extreme tension late in the movie. I won't spoil it, but the viewers will know what I'm talking about.

Saw it just a few hours ago. So much better with the first one with I just didn't connect with. The horrid animation of that film turned me off, but the near photo quality of this movie was beautiful. I don't think it's in UP's league but it is still great. It's going to make more money than most films this year. I'll go back and look at Toy Story again because I like the characters and I'll overlook the production values.

You know how Indy 4 raped our childhoods?

Toy Story 3 makes sweet romantic hot steamy love to it!

It's so good it makes you cry!

There's no way I'm going to miss this film. I adored the first two films, plus Pixar is the best when it comes to CGI films.

Who isn't going to see Toy Story 3? I mean really.

Good point, I hated the first two and I'll probably see it.

I just discovered the digital booklet for the score in my iTunes. Don't know how I missed a new section entitled Books under TV Shows. Anyway, it says "Music Written by Randy Newman with Additional Music by Bruno Coon, Don Davis and Jonathan Sacks."

Don Davis?!

Davis has been orchestrating for Newman for many years now. In fact, all three of those people are his regular orchestrators. All three, for example, were with him on "Air Force One".

Sacks has worked with Mark Snow, as well.

Davis has also orchestrated for James Horner, "Titanic" being a prime example. He also took over scoring after supposedly Horner was going to, on "Jurassic Park 3". He also ghostwrote a lot of one of Horner's scores as I recall.

I'll go back and look at Toy Story again because I like the characters and I'll overlook the production values.

Production values?! Joey, when it came out fifteen years ago cgi was still in it's relative infancy; yet Pixar made Toy Story look beautiful - I remember seeing it in the theater - it was cutting edge stuff! I really don't know where you're coming from on this.

However, reading your thoughts on Toy Story 3 has got me excited, I badly want to see it but have to wait a whole month for it's UK release, pfft.

That's just plain weird, you guys getting the short-shrift with these releases. I hope to see it tomorrow or Tuesday.

I'll go back and look at Toy Story again because I like the characters and I'll overlook the production values.

Production values?! Joey, when it came out fifteen years ago cgi was still in it's relative infancy; yet Pixar made Toy Story look beautiful - I remember seeing it in the theater - it was cutting edge stuff! I really don't know where you're coming from on this.

However, reading your thoughts on Toy Story 3 has got me excited, I badly want to see it but have to wait a whole month for it's UK release, pfft.

Its production values may have been state of the art at the time but they were primitive, that's a fact, and to me they were ugly. The cartoon about the baby at the beginning of the dvd was disturbing.

On Daves DVD of Toy Story. It's really a horror movie.

Joey that cartoon was from 1988.

Now you know how the little kids feel about all the rotoscoping black lines around everything in Star Wars. So primitive. :lol:

I don't care, it was bad, even then. Star Wars looked good by comparison and always has.

Uh, is there a computed animated film of that year that looks better? I don't think so.

And if I compare it to the second I still prefer the first one. The whole Buzz story (what a great idea), Sid, the staircase scene... wonderful.

Just got back from seeing it in 3D. Fantastic! No disappointment whatsoever. Even the "YO" truck got a brief cameo. And the Monkey... creepy!

I stopped by Toys R Us in search of the movie-accurate pull-string Woody and electronic Buzz figures. They're 50 bucks each! Too bad...

I had the pull string Woody back when the first film was out, loved it. In retrospect I wish I hadn't sold it at a garage sale years ago!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it last night. Excellent film!

The ending is really, really sweet. Everyone says the ending is "so sad", but its really just sweet... such a nice thing for Andy to do.

Music throughout was great, perfectly suited for the film

Only disappointed was that the whole landfill inferno sequence was WAY over the top, and lots o huggin bear starting out good but ending up being bad was a total retread of stinky pete in toy story 2

Only disappointed was that the whole landfill inferno sequence was WAY over the top, and lots o huggin bear starting out good but ending up being bad was a total retread of stinky pete in toy story 2

You may be right about the inferno sequence, but I thought the suspense was well executed and needed for the adults in the theater. And I had forgotten about the stinky pete story - I think it's best not to watch the first and second in this series before you watch the new one, because they do tend to revisit the same themes and plot points, just with a fresh approach. Overall if I had to choose one to watch again tonight, I'd choose the 3rd one. That doesn't mean it's better than the others, though.

Saw it last night, what an incredible experience. I was completely immersed; it didn't feel like I was watching a movie, it felt like I was in it and feeling the emotions of all the characters. When the first film came out on VHS I watched it every day for about twelve months, and the same for the sequel. These characters have been as much a part of my life as the toys I used to play with. It was wonderful that they set the film in the present, as I've also roughly been Andy's age all the way through. The first emotional punch for me was the montage of sorts with Andy being recorded playing with the toys while "You've Got A Friend In Me" playing along. I experienced a rush of nostalgia which quickly made way for sheer fun and enjoyment at the fresh ideas and developments. I think we can all relate to these films in some way, which is probably why they're so damn popular.

The only thing I was disappointed about was Bo Peep's absence. She was just... not there. I suppose that's life though; sometimes people just disappear (leave or die) suddenly without any closure. I felt sorry for Woody though... I was expecting her to turn up at some stage and re-unite with the gang but it wasn't to be.

I can't wait to see this one again, preferably in 2D though. The depth of 3D was nice but I always feel a bit queasy after wearing those glasses for so long.