Jerry Goldsmith's The Edge (La-La Land Complete)

Jay

Mine shipped an hour after ordering (1pm ish on Tuesday, pacific time) so I'm hoping it will arrive on Monday or early next week.

Was hoping to get a temporary fix before receiving it but Goldsmith fans appear to be much more ethical than Mancina fans so far :)

I LOVE this score and own the original ost, but was there enough extra goodness in the score to warrant this purchase? I know the score well, and I'm comfortably served by the old ost.

Meh, I've never really agreed with selling things far in excess of their cost, just due to rarity. Those trying to sell used copies for $150 are selfish IMO.

Not really sure whether to sell mine or not.

I agree. Whenever I miss an LE I wonder if there's some guy who bought ten copies to hawk on Ebay at a 300% markup when it sells out.

I have no doubt that there are for every major release. I've seen some put up listings at big markups before it's even released.

Honestly, I think the LEs should have a two per customer limit (to allow for those who might buy a copy for a friend)

Meh, I've never really agreed with selling things far in excess of their cost, just due to rarity. Those trying to sell used copies for $150 are selfish IMO.

Not really sure whether to sell mine or not.

I thought mine was a fair price. I mean, I did want to make back the $35 I spent on it in the first place. $25 + shipping, which was the lowest price being sold on Amazon. The second lowest was $60.

I've managed to find a preview, and this is a nearly perfect set.

And this is my chance to be uber-geeky about a LE release - a few differences between the film and the CD as follows:

1. Early Arrival (1:32)*

2. Lost In The Wild(s) (2:59)

3. A Lucky Man/Open Door (1:41)* - same as film except the final orchestral smash (3-4 seconds) is missing. Probably wouldn't sound great anyway.

4. Mighty Hunter (1:31)

5. The Spirit (0:36)*

6. Birds (2:22)

7. The Fire / Breakfast (2:31)*

8. Rich Man (0:58)*

9. The Ravine (4:36)

10. Bitter Coffee (3:01)

11. Wound (1:38)*

12 . Stephen's Death (2:26)* - the CD adds an unused 30 seconds or so at the end, reprising the brass motif. May be a pickup they decided to include, as the film ending is clean.

13. The Cage / False Hope / No Matches (3:34)* - crossfade at 2:00 isn't in the film - the bits are separated by dialogue. Not an editing decision I'd have made.

14. Stalking (5:46)

15. Deadfall / Bear Fight (6:21)

16. The Discovery / Trust Your Back (5:01)* - 1:34-1:40 is an alternate, and in minor key instead, and 1:40-1:46 only has brass, not a woodwind overlay too as in the film.

17. The River (2:26)

18. Rescued (6:03)

19. End Title (Lost In The Wild)(s) (1:59)*

20. The Edge (2:55)

Bonus Tracks

21. False Hope (Alternate Take) (1:08)* - this is an alternate of the run through the trees from the start of the percussion to the crossfade in track 13. A slightly 'native' feel to the percussion and has a brass motif.

22. Rescued (Film Version Ending) (1:19)* - A revised ending which doesn't have a brass part that track 18 has, right before the final string rendition of the theme.

23. The Edge (Alternate Take) (3:00)* - Exactly what it says on the tin. Just a different jazz arrangement.

I won't be keeping the bonus tracks - #21 is radically different from the film and I'm glad Goldsmith rescored it, and #22 is just sort of 'there'.

Nice job again LLL smile.gif

Nice job Rich.

I look forward to checking this out. Just added the blu ray of the film to my netflix queue as well

I gave my copy of the original away. However I see nothing wrong with selling an original copy you bought to listen to yourself and then unloading it when an expanded version is released. If you can get some cash, go for it.

Hopefully mine should arrive today.

My copy arrived today. :cool: Very fast delivery from SAE, exactly a week, to Europe no less.

I found the first listen extremely satisfying, basically there is more of everything on this set: main theme, action and suspence in delightful new variations. The liner notes are nice and offer a good track-by-track analysis to those of us who do not remember the music by heart. :lol: One of my favourite Goldsmith scores and this set only further solidified that opinion.

Great job LLL!

• 2 years later...

I ordered mine back when this thread started. I just got it today.

I really think they oughta refund my shipping cost.

- Uni

I ordered mine back when this thread started. I just got it today.

I really think they oughta refund my shipping cost.

- Uni

3/4 years?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LOW STOCK ALERT!

Less than 150 units of Jerry Goldsmith’s THE EDGE remain!

From new release email.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd personally pick Alien as the one Goldsmith CD you must have in your collection, but I'm weird

Your not weird. Star Trek TMP is in the same category for me. Both from 1979, interestingly enough.

Right when Goldsmith transitioned from experimental to more lyrical/romantic, and we get the best of both with these scores.

Yes, those two scores are absolutely amazing, and it's even more impressive they were composed back to back. So different from each other!

EDIT: Woops they weren't back to back, he wrote The Players in between :P

It's gorgeous. If you only have one Goldsmith in your collection, it should be this one.

I can easily name a dozen (or two) I'd rather have, but it's still a damn fine score.

Yes, those two scores are absolutely amazing, and it's even more impressive they were composed back to back. So different from each other!

EDIT: Woops they weren't back to back, he wrote The Players in between :P

Which is even more different. The early cues for STTMP actually seem to have a stronger similarity to Alien.