Favorite Part 3's

ChuckM

In honor of Toy Story 3, what are some of your favorite second sequels, and why?

1. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - In my opinion, it's the best of all the movies. It does absolute justice to the first two films while taking on a brilliant personality of it's own. And who else could possibly father Indiana Jones than James Bond?

2. Back to the Future Part III - This has always been one of my favorite movies (as has the whole series). While Part II was a slight step down from Part I, Part III comes right back up on par with the first. It has an entirely different feel than the previous two, but it still keeps all the signature references.

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - This is another one that surpasses the first two for me. It still has plenty of action, but the real value here is the incredibly deep and complex storyline. This is much more of a thinking movie than it's predecessors. Plus it contains the single best film wedding ever.

4. The Matrix Revolutions - It's the most philosophical movie of the three, which is saying a lot; the first two were pretty deep as well. It still has all the awesomely choreographed fight sequences, and it has the best score.

5. Toy Story 3 - I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but trust me. It's worth it.

Honorable Mentions:

The Godfather: Part III

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

Ice Age: The Meltdown

X-Men: The Last Stand

What have I missed?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most 3's in a trilogy (or larger series such as Superman) either suck or they're mediocre. Back to the Future III isn't a bad film per se, even if the western setting and Doc's lame ass girlfriend seriously detract from its quality, but most everyone accepts it as the ugly duckling of that series. But it still isn't that bad. You got the awesome 10 minute opening in 1955, Doc and Marty's antics, the train sequence and Tom Wilson hamming it up wonderfully yet again. It's certainly not a case where I'd avoid a set of all 3 movies and wait for an individual release. But I can't say it's a very good film. It's an admittedly flawed movie, but a favorite.

Looking at my shelves, I'd have to say Jedi, Last Crusade, BTTF and, hell, Toy Story.

POTC 3, Superman 3, Matrix 3, Spider-Man 3 and Godfather 3 stunk.

One of my favourites is Alien 3 (mostly of Goldenthal's music in the end scene which gives me goosebumps and Fincher's directing)

Indeed. A movie that's much better than its reputation.

In honor of Toy Story 3, what are some of your favorite second sequels, and why?

1. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - In my opinion, it's the best of all the movies. It does absolute justice to the first two films while taking on a brilliant personality of it's own. And who else could possibly father Indiana Jones than James Bond? Its a seriously mediocre film (though well loved by many here) that doesn't hold a candle to the first 2

2. Back to the Future Part III - This has always been one of my favorite movies (as has the whole series). While Part II was a slight step down from Part I, Part III comes right back up on par with the first. It has an entirely different feel than the previous two, but it still keeps all the signature references.

I like this movie, but I the whole trilogy is something I've never fallen in love with

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - This is another one that surpasses the first two for me. It still has plenty of action, but the real value here is the incredibly deep and complex storyline. This is much more of a thinking movie than it's predecessors. Plus it contains the single best film wedding ever.

Better than the 2nd but the 2nd was horrible so that was easy to do. wish it was the last.

4. The Matrix Revolutions - It's the most philosophical movie of the three, which is saying a lot; the first two were pretty deep as well. It still has all the awesomely choreographed fight sequences, and it has the best score.

You're kidding, right, you're kidding, this is unbelievably bad

5. Toy Story 3 - I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but trust me. It's worth it.

Honorable Mentions:

The Godfather: Part III

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the KingIt was the best of the 3 films

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the JediIt was better than pts 1, 2, and 3.

Ice Age: The Meltdown

X-Men: The Last Standanother really bad movie.

What have I missed?

You don't like Jaws and yet you praise some seriously poor films. Return of the King is one of the best 3rd films ever. I suppose you could count Goldfinger and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I didn't say I don't like Jaws. I enjoy it for what it is; I just don't understand all the hype about it. As for the films I praise, those are my opinion and nothing more. This is a "favorites" thread, not "bests."

so that still leaves it open to criticism. to most people here there is no difference between favorite and best.

BTW whether you like Jaws or not your really ripped into it in the other thread. It really comes across that you are lying about liking it at all.

to most people here there is no difference between favorite and best.

Yeah, we've got a real problem with that.

BTW whether you like Jaws or not your really ripped into it in the other thread. It really comes across that you are lying about liking it at all.

I'm quite capable of enjoying bad films.

Also, good catch on Prisoner of Azkaban and Goldfinger. Those definately belong in the list.

bub Jaws is anything and everthing but bad. You said Bad acting, horrible effects, predictable storyline.

Where is there bad acting, don't bother to answer because you're wrong. Horrible effects, I don't think so. Predictable storyline, what are you even saying there.

you're just further proof when I say Jaws is tragically underrated here. It's sad when someone who seems bright cannot spot a superior film.

no it belongs here to make a point. And it's a fact.

Whatever you say.

you need to understand the reality that is Jaws, CM.

as for your thread Star Trek IV is a good 3rd. It might be the 4th Star Trek but it is the natural third film to Wrath of Khan and SFS.

Tell you what. It has been a while since I last gave Jaws a try. I'll see if I can get a chance to watch it again soon with an open mind and see if it strikes me as being any better this time around. If so many people love it, maybe I've just been missing something. Fair enough?

Austin Powers in Goldmember

The Final Conflict

Superman III

Rambo III

Spider-Man 3

Jurassic Park III

A Nightmare on Elm Street Part III: Dream Warriors

Friday the 13th Part 3-D

Child's Play 3

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth

Halloween III: Season of the Witch

Poltergeist III

Home Alone 3

Problem Child 3

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III

Beethoven's 3rd

The Neverending Story III

Universal Soldier III: Unfinished Business

Darkman III: Die Darkman, Die

Tell you what. It has been a while since I last gave Jaws a try. I'll see if I can get a chance to watch it again soon with an open mind and see if it strikes me as being any better this time around. If so many people love it, maybe I've just been missing something. Fair enough?

If you want to, that's cool, I too need to see it but I want to wait till the Blu Ray. I don't care if you do or don't like it, but don't say it's poorly acted because Shaw, Scheider and Dreyfuss are terrific in this movie, as is Murray Hamilton.

Drax that is a solid list of bad third movies as you can get.

What happened to 0?

0 is obviously a fictional construct invented by mathematics to explain things that they couldn't explain.

Oh wait, or was that plus infinite and minus infinite...

you need to understand the reality that is Jaws, CM.

LOL :)

"Erm I think I am familiar with the fact that CM is going to ignore this particular movie until it swims up and bites him on the ASS!" :o

what are some of your favorite second sequels, and why?

Star Trek III Search for Spock could be included.

Several pacing problems in it, but it has a unique quality about it.

But I'd agree with the person who said that most 3rd movie don't tend to be too good.

Mind you, yeah Koray mentioned The Bourne Ultimatum. It was a fine ending to the trilogy.

Are these Part III's that we like more than Part I and II or just that we really really like?

The latter.

to most people here there is no difference between favorite and best.

Yeah, we've got a real problem with that.

I don't think so. "Favorite" is a personal preference. "Best" is a way to scientifically distill the preferences of everybody -- the industry, the critics, and the consumer -- into a singularly objective numerical ranking. Yawn.

Jaws is great. I own the DVD and the soundtrack. I watch it every year or so, and listen to it half as rarely. But I don't lust after it. I don't dream about it. I don't pray at night to Quint (the character, not the British poster) before tucking myself into my Jaws bedsheets after kissing my model of Bruce good night.

Very few part 3's are good. Most are unnecessary or just meh.

Here are some that didn't disappoint:

Goldfinger

King Kong vs Godzilla

Return Of The King

Star Trek III

Are these Part III's that we like more than Part I and II or just that we really really like?

The latter.

In that case:

Last Crusade

Return of the King

Godfather Part III

Return of the Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

Prisoner of Azkaban

Return of the King

At World's End (easily my favourite of the 3, thanks to the score)

The Bourne ultimatum

Metal Gear Solid 3 (the only game to ever make me shed manly tears)

Prisoner of Azkaban

Return of the Jedi

The Last Crusade

Toy Story 3

Rocky III (expanded the series nicely and probably the funnest movie in the series)

Die Hard With A Vengeance (another fun movie)

Star Trek III (still the best odd numbered Trek film)

Last Crusade and Return of the King are probably the best, but I still haven't seen Toy Story 3.