Toy Story 3 Score

Damien F

I was watching Toy Story 3 yesterday, and I was really impressed with the score. I enjoy listening to the other two scores, so I was expecting a decent score from Newman at the very least, but some moments really stood out.

Track 14 is just epic, and one of my favourite cues this year. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the movie, but those who have will know exactly what scene it's from. The first half reminds me so much of Goldsmith, especially at 0:38 when the strings play a ferocious little action melody, then it's immediatly passed to the trumpets.

The rest of the score is enjoyable if you liked the other scores. The third track is another good action cue, and there are some unexpected Spanish influences dotted throughout a few tracks laugh.gif

P.S. The link above is for track 14 on YouTube. The track name contains a spoiler, as do the comments.

What do you guys think of the score, especially track 14?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably my favorite cue on the album, but considering Don Davis did additional music, I think he did this one. It has the same James Horner Aliens machine thumping that was used in The Matrix.

Saw the film last night. Score was great! I definitely want to check out the OST now.

Noticed in the end credits it did mention Don Davis as an orchestrator, but nobody was listed as "additional music by", which contradicts the digital booklet?

Track 14 is definitely a lot of Don Davis' work, more than Newman's here I would say. It especially sounds like the final cue from Davis's score 'The Beast'... as well as hints of The Matrix. Very nice cue. A nice score as well! But not massively different from the first two, although I've yet to see how it works with the film.

You can hear Davis' style in a lot of the other cues, as well.

Noticed in the end credits it did mention Don Davis as an orchestrator, but nobody was listed as "additional music by", which contracts the itunes booklet?

I got mine on Amazon, not sure about the Itunes booklet but it should be the same.

What do you guys think of the score, especially track 14?

It's a great score, probably the best I've heard all year. And yes that track is pretty awesome. Considering a Pixar film won the Best Score Oscar last year I think it's not out of the question that Randy Newman could get a nomination next year.

Anyone catch the Williams reference in track 14?

There are other references in this score too. A snippet from "Someday My Prince Will Come" is heard near the end, as is "A Heart Full Of Love" from Les Miserable.

I haven't seen the movie yet, so pleae keep spoilers to yourself ;)

Anyway, I could swear I've heard some SW cue (Jawas?) in the there at 0:29 although that part a 0:58 sounds quite Williamsy as well...

There are other references in this score too. A snippet from "Someday My Prince Will Come" is heard near the end, as is "A Heart Full Of Love" from Les Miserable.

Not sure about a Williams reference in track 14, but I hear one in track 11 at around 2:15 - Jurassic Park (raptors) / Jaws. It's Don Davis doing Williams. In fact, the whole score reeks of Don Davis. It actually sounds to me like Don Davis did at least as much writing as Newman did based on the soundtrack material. I suppose Davis got the job of adapting Newman's original themes/material and expanding on it where possible. In some cases Davis even establishes new ideas and completely leaves his mark on the score.

Not sure about a Williams reference in track 14, but I hear one in track 11 at around 2:15 - Jurassic Park (raptors) / Jaws. It's Don Davis doing Williams. In fact, the whole score reeks of Don Davis. It actually sounds to me like Don Davis did at least as much writing as Newman did based on the soundtrack material. I suppose Davis got the job of adapting Newman's original themes/material and expanding on it where possible. In some cases Davis even establishes new ideas and completely leaves his mark on the score.

Yes Track 14 - The Claw has a pretty clear homage to E.T. Listen to 2:35 to 2:41 in the link above. When you consider what happens in the film at this moment I think it's safe to say it was intentional.

The Les Miz one however sounds like something he "borrowed" while thinking no one would notice.

Track 2 is also epic...in a different way

WTF?? :D

Yeah, the lyrics practically don't make any sense in Spanish. I guess they translated it a little TOO literaly ;)

13 To The Dump is a brilliant cue as well. Again, it's totally Don Davis's cue from beginning to end. It almost has a Williams-esque energy about it in places. I always wanted to hear what Don Davis could do in this sort of genre... he did some additional music for A Goofy Movie back in '95, so it's great to hear him do his thing again more fully on this score.

I do wonder why Randy Newman decided to let Don Davis do so much of the music, though. It seems to me like the score is "themes by Randy Newman", and score by Don Davis in a lot of the cues.

Well anyway, I'm really enjoying the score, and I'm finding it really enjoyable listening to Davis's work again after his few years out of Hollywood!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 years later...

I've listened to this score, especially after having watched the movie.  And I can definitely point out some references to classical composers in some of the cues.  In Track 9, Bad Buzz (the cue is actually called "Sunnyside March"), the first part of the cue sounds a lot like Shostakovich (i.e. when the reset Buzz says "prisoners sleep in their cells...").  Track 14 also sounds like Shostakovich from 0:38 to 0:49.