Do you have withdrawal symptoms if you don't listen to film music (by JW) ?

Josh500

If yes, what kind of symptoms?

Film music in general, or film music by John Williams.

Personally, I get somehow restless when I don't listen to John Williams's music for a week or more. But then, maybe that's just my imagination... :music:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, no. I listen to a lot of music and love experiencing new composers, scores, bands, players, ensembles etc. I listen to Williams' scores when I'm in the mood to, and never just for the sake of it. Each track from each album I own by each artist has a different effect on me. If I feel like listening to "The Clash of Lightsabers" then I will, but if I feel like listening to a Jill Scott song or a Herbie Hancock solo then I will too. And so on.

I generally don't listen to a lot of music that isn't film music, so no. I do like to take breaks from some composers and scores, so it feels nice when you come back. But a lot of times I'll listen to my iTunes on shuffle, so I'll always get a good mix anyway.

I do start to get cravings if I don't listen to much music in general. Which can be a good thing, actually - listening to too much music tends to desensitize me, so if I want to really get into it again, I just try not to listen to anything for a few days. Makes it a real pleasure when I get back into it.

I go through phases were I don't listen to much music at all. Then there are days where I will listen for hours. Last.fm is a great tool to find out what you are listening to and how much you are listening. I used to be averaging 45 tracks per day but now I am down to a more modest 39 tracks per day.

My hands begin to inexplicably and violently convulse when I cannot satisfy my daily John Williams cravings, and my only thoughts are un-bearable pangs for the sweet feelings of comfort and ecstasy that washes over me when I get my John Williams dose.

i usually listen to JW's scores every night, then in the day i listen to my fan edits using JW's scores

though somed=times i will take a break and listen to some HS

JW no.

Scores in general, sort of yeah. If I go a day or two doing something non music related (catching up on a TV show, watching movies) then the urge to listen to something will build. In a weird way, how some people need a drink/beer/whatever, I need music :music:

My hands begin to inexplicably and violently convulse when I cannot satisfy my daily John Williams cravings, and my only thoughts are un-bearable pangs for the sweet feelings of comfort and ecstasy that washes over me when I get my John Williams dose.

:music:

When you [REMOVED BY WOJO'S PSYCHIATRIST] because you didn't get your John Williams fix, then you know you have a problem.

I'm better now...

If I can't listen to JW, then I just go over to the bad part of town, find some James Horner or something, then come back home, take a scalding shower and tell myself that I'll never do it again.

Withdrawal symptoms if not listening to film scores by Williams? No.

Withdrawal symptoms if not listening to film scores in general? YES.

If I don't hear music after a couple of hours I tend to go a bit nuts.

Some people go to church, I listen to John Williams. I have him on my Ipod everyday, being a musician and composer also I often seek inspiration from his music on a daily basis. So I would say, yes, yes I do have withdrawals.

If I don't hear music after a couple of hours I tend to go a bit nuts.

If I don't hear music after a couple of hours, I've probably gone to bed.

At work, I try to listen to music all day, to keep myself entertained, pass the time, and drown out the loud people around me.

And now that I have a 3.5 mm direct cable hookup to the back of my car radio, it's much more convenient to listen to my iPod in my car anytime, instead of fumbling with a transmitter that requires plugged in, has terrible audio sound, is easily bumped, and overheats after two hours.

But I don't always listen to John Williams or to film scores. My collection is eclectic, and I am striving to put more and more of my rock, classical, and other genres onto my iPod for diversity.

I'm fairly independent at my place of employment, but people do usually interrupt me. Usually during my favorite moments of the best tracks. Sometimes people will say things to me when there's a sudden burst of brass or something and they're completely dialed out. Like in Destruction of Krypton when you see the sun encompassing the planet or whatever the hell was happening. Then I'll just nod my head and smile as if I'd heard anything but an epic JW fanfare. I find it funny.

Or then there are the awkward men's room moments when I'm taking a leak and my iPod suddenly becomes very loud now that I'm off the factory floor. Then some co-worker will take the urinal next to me and hear me listening to God damn Stepmom or something. But yet I don't even care.

Or then there are the awkward men's room moments when I'm taking a leak and my iPod suddenly becomes very loud now that I'm off the factory floor.

You probably know this, but turning your iPod really loud so you can hear it over the noises on the "factory floor" can be pretty damaging to hearing.

If I don't listen to something from him for over a week John Williams has goons come by my house to pulverize me with batons and pencils. It's not pretty.

You probably know this, but turning your iPod really loud so you can hear it over the noises on the "factory floor" can be pretty damaging to hearing.

I've always know I'll go deaf listening to JW.

Well duh one doesn't generally hear music when they're asleep. I'm sure everyone is talking about when they are awake as I was...smart ass.

I've always know I'll go deaf listening to JW.

At the factory where I work, they sadly do not allow any listening devices. We have to wear ear plugs/muffs anyways, and it's so $#*#& loud out there that I doubt any ipod could overcome the noise bleed.

Mine are a very good pair of Sony ear buds which block outside sounds fairly well, about as well as a pair or earplugs would. I never listen to the music THAT loudly, but the restrooms are absolutely noise-proofed. :)

Well duh one doesn't generally hear music when they're asleep. I'm sure everyone is talking about when they are awake as I was...smart ass.

If I don't make a habit of being a smartass all the time, I'll lose my touch and get rusty.

I really only use my iPod when I'm traveling or on vacation. I do most of my music listening on my computer. These days, I'll just listen to maybe one album every few days, but then I spend a lot of time studying scores, editing expanded soundtracks, copying stuff into Finale, playing piano, etc. So although I may only listen to two or three albums a week at most, a lot of my free time is focused on film scores.

I also listen to music on my computer, but I have it playing almost constantly. Whenever I'm online (unless I'm watching a video or something that requires audio), when I get dressed, when I'm doing something that doesn't require a great deal of concentration, or when I'm just hanging out in my room, music is always on. When I'm not really focusing, however, I miss a lot, so if I want to actually listen to music I make sure that's what I'm focusing on (although if a composition is really really boring, sometimes I cheat and go online, though I try to keep an ear on the music).

I wouldn't say I get withdrawal symptoms, but if I don't listen to Williams' music for a long while - maybe weeks, then I do miss it. It feels like missing a friend who you haven't seen for a while or something. I guess I grew up on Williams' music, so I derive some sort of subconscious comfort from it - the familiarity of it. His music does have so much personality, so it's easy to attach human feelings towards it I suppose. As we all know, there's not quite any other composer out there whose music for film has such a clear human voice - that's why Spielberg quite rightly (imho) says that Williams is the best musical storyteller of all time. I'm not sure that there's many, if any, composers out there working in Hollywood who can so naturally transform a series of cuts into a piece that feels so deliberate and purposeful. Williams is a master of the whole craft - and that includes dealing with narrative.

Having said that, I think it's a good thing to get away from familiarity - experience new composers (or friendships) and then when you return to the familiar, reliable and loved ones after a period of absence, the experience is so much richer!

I interpreted that as he rarely goes a few hours without listening to music.

Works similarly for me actually.

if i dont have any film music i just hum/"beatbox" (meaning i mimic the instruments with my mouth)some of my favorite cues

I had a light music day today at work. Just a bit busy. Then later into the afternoon I put on Little Angel from JNH's 'Freedomland' and it was so refreshing - just one track.

Don't want to over-score. ;)

I only get restless when I think about all the soundtracks that need a listen again.

Or all the new releases tempting me with their wanton pleasures. :D

absolutely not, and why should anyone. If you are a true JW fan, just turn on your brain and hear John's music.