40 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite score?

• The Little Mermaid
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • Aladdin
    • Pocahontas
    • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    • Hercules

I'm only including the "Renaissance" Disney animated musical scores. Here's how I rate them:

1. Hunchback of Notre Dame - Not only are the songs fantastic, but the instrumental cues prove that Menken is capable of scoring non-musical films. It is a complete masterpiece.

2. Pocahontas - The songs are probably just as good as Hunchback. In fact, the only reason this is number 2 is because the instrumental cues are not as strong (excepting "Farewell," one of Menken's absolute best instrumental cues).

3. Beauty and the Beast - beautiful songs and instrumental stuff

4. The Little Mermaid - love the exotic rhythms and different sound

5. Aladdin - It's not bad, but some of the music, both vocal and instrumental, really drags, and as a whole its highlights don't stand up to those of the other scores

I haven't heard or seen Hercules.

Well, I grew up with Aladdin, but Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast are wonderful too. I guess I'll give it to Beauty.

Which is your favorite poll?

1. The Little Mermaid

2. Beauty and the Beast

3. Aladdin

4. Pocahontas

5. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

6. Hercules

Um...I must have missed something, but which of these is a poll? I didn't think so.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Probably Menken's best score.

Beauty and the Beast is close, though.

Notre Dame. I wish Menken would work in this direction more. And too bad he got kicked out of The Princess and the Frog (although I have no interest in seeing it) because of Lasseter's love with Newman.

Anyways... Second, Aladdin. Mainly for Arabian Nights, Prince Ali and of course Friend Like Me.

Which is your favorite poll?

1. The Little Mermaid

2. Beauty and the Beast

3. Aladdin

4. Pocahontas

5. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

6. Hercules

Um...I must have missed something, but which of these is a poll? I didn't think so.

:| My bad.

Under the Sea will always be a special favourite, and parts of Pocahontas and Beauty and the Beast are strong contenders, but the prices goes to Hercules. The gospel muses are brilliantly conceived and executed, the lyrics are exceptionally witty, and I Won't Say (I'm In Love) might be Menken's best song.

They're all great though. The songs that is, I mostly don't care about the scores.

Notre Dame. I wish Menken would work in this direction more. And too bad he got kicked out of The Princess and the Frog (although I have no interest in seeing it) because of Lasseter's love with Newman.

Anyways... Second, Aladdin. Mainly for Arabian Nights, Prince Ali and of course Friend Like Me.

Princess and the Frog was a strong entry movie wise. The songs were pretty strong too but I don't think there was an outright showstopper. Then again it might just be me as I'm a sucker for New Orleans

1) Hunchback - this is the most emotionally powerful Disney score of all time, in my opinion. Stephen Schwartz's lyrics really help (as with Pocahontas and, in a different way, Enchanted).

2) Beauty and the Beast - the whole movie is perfectly scored. The songs are memorable and beautiful.

The rest are more or less tied - each has its moments. Pocahontas is probably 3rd on a technical level but it's never been as much fun as Aladdin or Hercules (the latter being perhaps the most fun of Menken's scores - I love the Gospel stuff).

I agree with Marian on Princess and the Frog. Randy Newman is a perfect match for the New Orleans jazz theme, even though the songs aren't very memorable.

And might I mention Phil Collins' amazing work on Tarzan? And Mulan had some pretty good parts, too.

Princess and the Frog, to me, is a good score but it doesn't stand to Menken's best, or even his average output. I can't believe Pocahontas hasn't gotten any votes--to me it is almost Menken's best.

Princess and the Frog, to me, is a good score but it doesn't stand to Menken's best, or even his average output. I can't believe Pocahontas hasn't gotten any votes--to me it is almost Menken's best.

Uhhh Randy Newman did the score for Princess and The Frog not Alan Menken.

It's too bad that Disney won't allow the labels to release complete scores for their animated films.

They are all great, but Hunchback has probably the best score overall, the best score piece (Sanctuary), and what is probably the best song and best animated sequence (Hellfire). Out There and The Bells of Notre Dame are also absolutely brilliant songs. I do really love all the choices, but Hunchback takes the cake.

Princess and the Frog, to me, is a good score that doesn't stand to Menken's best, or even his average output. I can't believe Pocahontas hasn't gotten any votes--to me it is almost Menken's best.

Uhhh Randy Newman did the score for Princess and The Frog not Alan Menken.

I realize that. Randy Newman's Princess and the Frog, to me, is a good score that doesn't stand up to Menken's best, or even his average output.

Aladdin. It just has the best songs, though I'll almost always fall on the side of comedy, so I'm a bit biased. But the score itself is beautiful as well, with a lot of excellent thematic work not available on CD. I wonder if any of the re-release labels could get a hold of expanded Disney scores.

Sad that Pocahontas doesn't haven't any votes, though. I suspect the movie itself may have tainted it in some people's eyes (though I still quite enjoy the film myself). The film's love theme (If I Never Knew You) is the best tune in the film, weaved wonderfully throughout the score by Menken. Whatever genius decided to cut the song itself out of the theatrical film needs to be flogged.

Nah, Pocahontas' best songs are the two sung on screen by Pocahontas. Certainly among Menken's best. For Aladdin, Robin Williams is a huge bonus.

I can't decide between "Steady as the Beating Drum," "Mine Mine Mine," "Colors of the Wind," or "Just Around the Riverbend."

Nah, Pocahontas' best songs are the two sung on screen by Pocahontas. Certainly among Menken's best.

I can't decide between "Steady as the Beating Drum," "Mine Mine Mine," "Colors of the Wind," or "Just Around the Riverbend."

"Colors of the Wind" is my favorite song from Pocahontas and is one of Menken's best songs ever. All of the songs in Pocahontas are good, though. I think the only reason it doesn't have any votes is because it ranks high on most of our lists but, depending on our tastes, we each put one or another score above it.

Beauty and the Beast

Though I'm actually pretty unfamiliar with most of these (score-wise).

I grew up with Mermaid, Beast, and Aladdin (only seen the others once or twice) but haven't revisited them much as an adult, musically or otherwise.

Has anyone else seen none of these movies?

My parents aren't into films so I had to find my own way as a kid, and it wasn't Little Mermaid territory..

The first Toy Story score is my definition of classic. The songs are amazing and fit perfectly into the fabric of the score.

You sir, have some movie watching to do...

Indeed! I mean, hell, Beauty and the Beast got a nod for BEST PICTURE that year. I'd say that the first three films are essential viewing for anyone that loves movies, period. Pocahontas has a magnificent soundtrack, though the movie itself leaves a lot of people cold. Hunchback is shockingly adult and the "Hellfire" sequence will knock your socks off. Hercules also leaves a lot of people cold, but I find it ridiculously entertaining, and it's gospel-tinged score is delightful.

• 2 weeks later...

My parents aren't into films so I had to find my own way as a kid, and it wasn't Little Mermaid territory..

WHAT!? Oh come on, I think most of us here grew up watching these films, they're great escape movies to watch. As Burga said both you and Jason have some watchin' to do.

I remember seeing Aladdin when it first came out in theaters.

You sir, have some movie watching to do...

Indeed! I mean, hell, Beauty and the Beast got a nod for BEST PICTURE that year. I'd say that the first three films are essential viewing for anyone that loves movies, period. Pocahontas has a magnificent soundtrack, though the movie itself leaves a lot of people cold. Hunchback is shockingly adult and the "Hellfire" sequence will knock your socks off. Hercules also leaves a lot of people cold, but I find it ridiculously entertaining, and it's gospel-tinged score is delightful.

The first three films are essential viewing for anyone, period. Hunchback I would say probably for movie lovers too.

Hunchback got my vote.

I remember sitting in the theater watching the opening and my jaw was on the floor at the end of "Bells of Notre Dame." How daring visually and musically, for a kids' film, to kill someone onscreen (Mufasa died offscreen) and to use Latin chants, which the target audience definitely would not understand. I thought "Circle of Life" and "Belle" were the best Disney movie openings ever, but that really topped it, and set up the whole movie.

The fact that the Latin chants continued throughout the film sold me on the "Hunchback" score. And "Hellfire" should have been nominated for an Oscar. What a bold song.

I wrote to Alan Menken shortly after he lost the Original Musical or Comedy Score Oscar for "Hunchback." He said working on the movie "was one of the most rewarding and fulfilling experiences of my life, and words like yours validate that for me."

I would say "Aladdin" is second. Robin Williams makes his songs wonderful ("Friend Like Me" is my all-time favorite song) and "Cave of Wonders" is an awesome score moment. "Beauty and the Beast" is a very, very close third. The instrumental score isn't as great as the song score, but it is one of his crowning achievements.

It took me a while to like "Pocahontas," but it is indeed a great accomplishment, to not get too cutesy with the music for the animals, who thankfully don't talk.

As for "The Little Mermaid," it holds a great place in my heart, because it was his first movie, but it doesn't hold up as well. The music sounds like it came from an animated movie. His later scores could have been put in a live-action version and would have fit just as well.

The two absolutely best musical sequences from that era of WD animated films were the Beauty and the Beast dance and A Whole New World from Aladdin. Although it may look crude to today's audiences, there had been nothing like that big sweeping money shot of the ballroom in Beauty and the Beast. It was a magical combination of the music and spectacular images enhanced, I believe, by computer animation in the days when it was still really impressive and not abused or overused. You had the panoramic shot of the dance and these great POV shots of the magic carpet flying around. The characters were completely lovable and seeing them get together was completely enchanting. A+

Thanks,I felt I had to contribute something to this thread since I can't even vote. I only remember Menkin as the guy Williams kept losing to at the Oscars

I wrote to Alan Menken shortly after he lost the Original Musical or Comedy Score Oscar for "Hunchback." He said working on the movie "was one of the most rewarding and fulfilling experiences of my life, and words like yours validate that for me."

That's nice to hear. ;)

• 1 month later...