What is your LEAST favorite sequel?

Jeff

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these is your LEAST favorite sequel?

• Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
    • Terminator Salvation
    • Jurassic Park 3
    • Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
    • Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    • X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    • Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

I chose a few of the most notable sequels from the past several years (the most recent in each series) - choose your least favorite from those choices. Are any of these on your list of favorites? Is there another sequel that you think is worse than any of those listed?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen JP3, RotS, KotCS, and AWE, and I don't think any of these are terrible (actually, I think AWE is a terrible film but it's so fun to watch that I don't want to vote for it). I'm tempted to vote for Transformers because the first one was so bad and I imagine the sequel is worse, but not having seen it I will refrain. So I guess I will vote for AWE, but I still love watching it.

I'd say that HBP is easily worse than the ones on that list that I've seen.

Out of the list, Revenge of the Fallen, and I haven't even seen the whole film.

Not on the list (I'll skip some obvious ones): The Matrix Reloaded, Batman Returns, Battle For The Planet Of The Apes, Bad Boys II, Terminator 3, Alien: Resurrection, An American Werewolf In Paris, Shrek 2.

I'd say that HBP is easily worse than the ones on that list that I've seen.

I love every Harry Potter film - HBP included. It's light years above Transformers and JP3. I liked JP3, though - it delivered exactly what it promised (running away from dinosaurs), but there is much more depth in even the worst HP movie (I'm not sure which one that would be - maybe CoS).

I didn't see 3 of them, so based on the 4 I did have the misfortune of viewing, probably a tie between ROTS & KOTCS.

The second Pirates of the Caribbean film was so bad that 1) I remember nothing from it, nor from the first, 2) I fell asleep during the film and 3) I didn't see the third one. But since that isn't in the options, I went with Transformers, which is pretty much the worst film I've seen in the last couple of years.

1. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - never saw it

2. Terminator Salvation - never saw it

3. Jurassic Park 3 - liked it more than JP2; the spinosaurus was worth the price of admission (though I saw it for free)

4. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - meh

5. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - meh

6. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - liked it more than X3: The Last Stand, which was a terrible way to end a franchise

7. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - I enjoyed this movie

So I abstain because it's a tie between ROTS and KOTCS.

6. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - liked it more than X3: The Last Stand, which was a terrible way to end a franchise

I agree X-Men 3 was a bad way to end the franchise. Despite some of the dodgy visual effects that Wolverine had, it was more enjoyable than The Last Stand.

I think the worst movie outright in that poll is Transformers, but I voted for the also very terrible Terminator: Salvation because it sullied its franchise more than TF2 did its own. Yes, I enjoyed T3.

KOTCS was that kind of bad that's just...I don't know. Embarrassing? You know? Revenge of the Sith could be pretty awful, but still. I never felt embarrassed to be in the theater watching it. With KOTCS, I felt like a douche bag for even liking Indiana Jones. That's very sad.

Jurassic Park III is absolutely bad, but there's this idea that The Lost World is a horrible movie and that the third one is BETTER. I can't fathom this. The Lost World is not a great film by any means, but it is entertaining. I think most of us knew we were going to see a movie about a bunch of people on a dinosaur island. We got that and then some. I was young and in love with the first movie. You know what? I dug the sequel. Man, those dinosaurs are awesome in that one. Also, Goldblum was hilarious and completely watchable. He and the bald guy carried that film along with the dinos.

I suppose the book nerds have a point (similar to Harry Potter) since I guess everything was altered in the translation from text to film. However, I will maintain until the day I die that it is not a bad movie. The third one gave me that similar Indy feeling of embarrassment. It was too sappy and child-oriented and it treated the material like a joke. Can anyone who watched arguably one of the greatest movie monsters ever emerge from the jungle in 1993 forgive that atrocity JPIII for killing it off after a 20 second cameo? It was more of a b movie take on Jurassic Park and that is not acceptable. Look at Joe Johnston's filmography. Obviously, he is going to hell.

I thought JP3 was okay, not brilliant, not terrible, just okay. But then I never liked JP much (TLW is by far my favourite of the three).

I was embarassed by some of KOTCS, but only due to line readings mainly. There were a couple of lines that were really cool in the trailers, but they picked worse takes for the film. I can take that some of it was pretty bad on the scale of things (some of the writing, Blanchett's in-out accent), but I thought some of it was pretty cool (I'm one of the few people that liked the aliens). But it's not on the level of something like TF2, or Wolverine (which was, as Wojo said, sadly better than X3). Pirates, I can't say, I didn't like the first one so I never made it to 2 and 3. Salvation was okay, a bit lifeless, and with terrible casting and some questionable characterisations. But it didn't treat the previous movies like joke material like T3. The day Arnold put on Elton John specs was the day the franchise was doomed.

Revenge of the Sith just left me depressed. But objectively, it's still not the worst film on the list (again, Michael Bay, please stop making films).

I read the book so yes, JP2 disappointed me. It's as if Spielberg saw that Crichton had written a sequel, said that's nice, and did his own thing. Sure, BioSyn is dropped in favor of Hammond's evil nephew. At least when movie critics complained "OMG they took the baby T-Rex back to camp, that's so stupid," we could point out that was in the book.

I didn't say I thought that JP3 was better than JP3. I said I liked it better. To some people here, that is a very important difference. This thread is about favorites; I'm not qualified to judge movies.

I was fine with JP2 up until they took dinosaurs to the mainland. That's when it fell apart. Spielberg just wanted his opportunity to tell King Kong with dinosaurs.

Ok, JP3 has some dumb points. The two bickering parents should have been eaten when the plane crashed instead of the guy wearing glasses. If dinosaurs had digestive systems like modern birds and reptiles, then T-Rex could not pee. The score completely ignored the wonderful Isla Nublar themes from JP2, since JP3 takes place on that island, not JP1's Isla Sorna.

But to imply that feeling pleasure from watching a JP T-Rex die should tarnish my soul? Well, I did enjoy it. The T-Rex kills a guy taking a harmless number two in JP1, making me scared to use outhouses in tropical climates. Then Mr. and Mrs. T-Rex tear a guy in half in JP2, besides all the others killed earlier; then it goes berserk in LA before enjoying a nice meal with its young'un. The only thing left to do -- aside from having it howl on top of Mount Rushmore, run for President, or go into space to fight alien dinosaurs -- was kill it. By making a second sequel to JP without the original director, the studio did to the franchise exactly what was done to Jaws: make it a B movie franchise. The T-Rex in JP3 just got its comeuppance.

Of these I've seen:

-Jurassic Park 3. Terrible and boring film. The frachise was doomed before it, though, so I can't blame it entirely. It's really sad considering it's got dinosaurs. If you've got dinosaurs, you gotta do it right.

-Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. I enjoyed it at the moment. The franchise was doomed way before it, so again I can't blame it entirely.

-Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. A saga that could have been wonderful, ruined by laziness. This disaster was inevitable, and not that they weren't trying to not screw it up anymore. But like Indy4 said, it's kind of fun anyway.

-Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Now, this is the dissapointing one for me. I grow up believing one thing: every Indy film was oustanding. Months before watching it, I had no doubt it would be awesome. I mean, these guys made the Trilogy, a trilogy that I still think of as considerably cooler than the majority of trilogies out there. I hadn't put so much ilusion on a future movie in my life. It was special. But dammit. They used the best script that got made of the original idea, but it cleasrly needed more rewrites and some balls. And then the other wrong things: the special effects, it looks like all the movie is shot inside a studio, there's a certain laziness all over the film. I like some cinematography (beautiful), some strong perfomances and parts of the score. It's probably way better than some of those sequels you have listed. But is the one that hurt a bit.

I liked it when the T-rex and the spino-thingy had a ruckus. That was what I wanted from JP, not overbearing characters spouting off about life finding a way. It made me pine for the rumoured Paul Verhoeven version of Disney's Dinosaur.

That scene was terrible. The animals don't feel real. I liked it on King Kong because it worked well there, it had to have this weird pulp comic with monsters feeling. But in JP it didn't work.

Not to mention I've seen more convicing animations and designs of pterosaurs in a certain TV series. Then again, ignoring reality when creating fantasy is a mistake. There's a reason why the Enterpise rising in Titan looks so cool. Hey look, that's Titan. There's a reason why a supernova destroying Romulus looks poor. What about having a gamma ray burst, with a way more spectacular special effect?

What I'm trying to say is that these movies should be made be people that actually liked the subject matter. There's no reason to make them if that's not the case, unless you want to con a few thousand people making them pay to see crap on screen. And that's why some of these sequels failed.

Out of the ones listed, I gotta go for Transformers.....of other ones that have been mentioned, I don't think anyone's plumped for Speed 2 yet, so I'll mention it!

Men in Black 2 was pretty bad. I mean, some parts were great. I love when they open the locker at Grand Central Station and there's a whole civilization of tiny aliens in there that worship K and J. There are numerous other very funny gags and loads of wonderful Rick Baker aliens everywhere. But it's highly mediocre and downright bad for the last 30 minutes or so. I have to wonder if they had a great finale and they just phoned it in when they had to change things post-9/11. It probably wouldn't have helped much. Such a waste.

I selected Revenge of the Sith because of its utter failure to deliver anything that resembles the greatness of Star Wars, and The Empire Strikes Back, but as others have said it is not the worst movie on the list.

Transformers 2 is the worst big budget summer film of all time. It's horrible, it's script is so full of holes (same guys who gave us the full of holes script for Star Trek 2009), it's story leaps all over the place, and sunken ships live to fight another day.

It's action is incoherent, it's only saving grace is that it looks impressive on the surface.

Terminator 4 is close to being as bad as Transformers 2, and it has a less legitimate reason for existance. Terminator 2 ended the series at 2. 3 and 4 have been pointless extenders of pure greed.

JP3 is ok, it's not great, but it isn't as horrible as first impressions may give.

KOTCS is not worthy of inclusion because it isn't burdened with the same promise that ROTS was.

Wolverine is not worthy either because it's no worse than X3, and it is an origin story, complete unto itself.

POTC3 was better than #2(which was #2).

I think with movies it has a lot to do with expectations prior to seeing them, specially sequels.

1. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - never saw it but heard it is really terrible. Don't plan on seeing it.

2. Terminator Salvation - I preferred it to Terminator 3. In fact after reading a lot of bad press about it I actualy considered it better than I was expecting.

3. Jurassic Park 3 - JP2 was a big disapointment, possibly the worst Spielberg have ever done (boring at times, ridiculous at others, absurd, plotless...). I liked JP3 a lot better, it is just a short, fun ride. And I realy liked the return of Sam Neil.

4. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - I wasn't expecting much after the terrible Episode I and the marginaly better Episode II. So with lower expectations I found this one the best of the prequels.

5. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Of this list this one gets my vote. Maybe not as bad as Jurassic Park 2, but as far as my expectations were this one is the biggest disapointment. After so many years of reported screenplays being rejected for not being good enough how could they end with such a terrible film? It starts OK but keep geting worse until that awfull ending.

6. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Don't intend to see it. Seems just a remote control summer movie.

7. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - Again I wasn't expecting much and enjoyed this movie for what it is.

My vote goes to KotCS

All the X Men films were bad. Bryan Singer shouldn't be allowed near another super hero film...EVER!

Very true. I don't get why everyone loved the first one. X2 was an improvement, but still bad.

Superman Returns was a great movie. 5 stars. That musical score. Man, when Superman sees the crystals in the fortress have been tampered with. It puts John Williams to shame. Christopher Reeve was too much of a silly ass portraying Clark Kent and he had no charisma. Brandon Routh...so dreamy! He's my hero! How could you go WROOOONG? Bryan Singer is without a doubt the greatest living director. He was born to do Superman, if ya know what I mean. I can't wait for the sequel.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen- Complete and utter dreck, but I knew it would be going in.

Terminator Salvation- Didn't bother.

Jurassic Park 3- Meh. Hard to muster strong feelings about this one, I've never been much of a JP fan.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith- Best of the prequels, enjoyable but flawed.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- Certainly not without pretty big problems, but a fun nostalgia ride if you let it be.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine- Didn't bother.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End- A crushing disappointment, especially considering how much I love the first two. The plot is an illogical mess.

At World's End gets my vote.

Superman Returns was a great movie. 5 stars. That musical score. Man, when Superman sees the crystals in the fortress have been tampered with. It puts John Williams to shame. Christopher Reeve was too much of a silly ass portraying Clark Kent and he had no charisma. Brandon Routh...so dreamy! He's my hero! How could you go WROOOONG? Bryan Singer is without a doubt the greatest living director. He was born to do Superman, if ya know what I mean. I can't wait for the sequel.

Is this sarcasm? Cause I actually found myself agreeing with every statement you made as you got more and more gushy (if that's a word). I have only seen the film once, but I remember being very satisfied.

Transformers 2. It's easily the worst movie on this poll, but what makes it the worst sequel is that it took the first film, which was already pretty bad, and made it exponentially more terrible. It's literally both a combination of all the most atrocious elements of Michael Bay's filmmaking and, by extension, a perfect example of what it is wrong with Hollywood today. Also, it sucks.

Transformers 2. It's easily the worst movie on this poll, but what makes it the worst sequel is that it took the first film, which was already pretty bad, and made it exponentially more terrible. It's literally both a combination of all the most atrocious elements of Michael Bay's filmmaking and, by extension, a perfect example of what it is wrong with Hollywood today. Also, it sucks.

a-nerd.jpg

"It sucking f*cks, it f*cking sucks, it f*cking blows, it's a piece of shit...and I don't like it."

Taking something silly and ridiculous and making it even more silly and ridiculous isn't as silly and ridiculous as taking something fresh and engaging and making it silly and ridiculous, IMO. (The POTC movies being the example I have in mind. I don't know what happened after the brilliance that was the first film.)

Transformers 2 is the worst movie on the list (I haven't seen two of them, but I can't imagine how they could possibly be worse), but AWE gets my vote because it's so much more disappointing.

I can't put it better than The Nerd. He's like a voicebox for collective rage.

Taking something silly and ridiculous and making it even more silly and ridiculous isn't as silly and ridiculous as taking something fresh and engaging and making it silly and ridiculous, IMO. (The POTC movies being the example I have in mind. I don't know what happened after the brilliance that was the first film.)

I won't deny that AWE is a big disappointment of a sequel, but I don't consider it to be THAT much of a step down from the previous two. I like the first two, especially the first, but they're not masterpieces and AWE is probably only a couple notches below them. It also has hands-down the best score in the series, so that colors my view of it a bit. It's not good but I wouldn't call it insultingly bad.

With Transformers you'd think that it wouldn't be very hard to come up with something better for a sequel, yet they managed to make something much worse. That's almost an accomplishment. Fool me once...

You definitely need to manage your expectations when you watch a film. If you're going to pay money to see something, you need to have a good idea of what you're paying for or else you're going to be disappointed, i.e., wasting money. I saw all of the movies on the list except Terminator and Wolverine, and I enjoyed all of them for what they were because I had reasonable expectations that were fulfilled. However, trying to be as objective as possible, I would probably rate those I've seen this way:

1) ROTS

2) AWE

3) KOTCS

4) JP3

5) ROTF

I think the only reason ROTS or KOTCS got any votes is due to mismanaged expectations, i.e., people unrealistically hoped for something as good as or better than the original in the series, even after having no such luck twice in a row (give or take, depending on your opinion of the other films in each franchise). I have a hard time believing that an objective observer would find ROTS to be a poor film in its own right. It may not be great, or nearly as good as the original trilogy, but it's still quite an amazing achievement in filmmaking. The same could be said, to a lesser extent, of KOTCS (I think it's flaws or more glaring, even though I still like it quite a bit). If the Star Wars films had been released in chronological order, I don't think there would be as much backlash against the prequels. (Friends of mine who have viewed them for the first-time in that order didn't find the original trilogy to be nearly as inspired as most of us find it. We're all biased!)

Terminator Salvation isn't that bad, though it could have been better. To be honest I enjoyed watching the film for Sam Worthington's character story more than I did for Christian Bale as John Connor. I'm also in the group that enjoyed Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines.

For Wolverine, it was a pretty good back story leading up to the events of the first X-Men film. Liev Schreiber as Victor Creed was definitely a good choice for that character, much better than Tyler Mane from the first film.

Also BTTF Part II.

One of the best sequels ever made.

I agree!

Anyone who didn't like BTTF Part 2...well no hope for ya.

All the X Men films were bad. Bryan Singer shouldn't be allowed near another super hero film...EVER!

Very true. I don't get why everyone loved the first one. X2 was an improvement, but still bad.

I don't understand this at all. I can understand people not liking the faux-realistic approach, but to call these movies bad seems a bit OTT. X-Men isn't brilliant, but it's not on the same level of a lot of awful superhero movies, or movies in general, and it was loved by a lot of people because it went for a very thoughtful angle on things, especially with the characters, which was very much in line with the X-Men comics. I still think X2 is one of the best comic book movies around, which is why X3 was so bad, because it took everything that had been built up brilliantly and threw it all away. Also, Brett Ratner vies with Michael Bay in directorial incompetence.

The first two Xmen films are fine. Mark and Koray are taking drugs. ROTFLMAO

X2 is a terrific film, it's a nice homage to Wrath of Khan.

The last Xmen film Last Stand, was not very good but not as bad as Terminator 4 or Transformers 2.

I didn't like the central plot and premise of the first X-Men movie. I recognize that it's difficult to film a superhero movie about an ensemble team, rather than a lone hero like Superman or Batman, and while it tried to balance the group, it still over-emphasized Wolverine at a time when Hugh Jackman was a relative unknown. Other staples like Cyclops and Storm got glorified cameos. Sabretooth was a wasted character considering his long and troubled backstory with Logan. And growing up with the 90s cartoon series, seeing Rogue as a child without Gambit felt wrong.

That being said, Patrick Stewart was born to play Charles Xavier, even though he was very limited in a wheelchair-bound role. McKellen chewed the scenery as Magneto, and the movie did work for what it was, and was quite enjoyable. I liked the second a lot better, but the third tried to do to much. X2 had a wonderful Star Trek II-style ending -- beloved character martyrs for the group, but reads her own eulogy that lets you know she'll return -- that had my tears freely flowing in the theater. But eliminating the extraterrestrial element of the Dark Phoenix character just didn't work, and I hated seeing so many great characters die or be stripped of their powers.

Of those I've seen...

Revenge of the Sith will always be a favorite. I grew up a Star Wars geek and Sith really hit the spot for me.

It also marks the beginning of my passion for film music. I rank it as my personal most important soundtrack of the decade.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull though disappointing still has enough of what I like about Indiana Jones to be a fun romp.

This was also my first new Williams soundtrack after becoming a fanatic. Not as good as the others but still a lot to enjoy.

At World's End is really a mixed bag. Too bizarre and convoluted for it's own good, and yet I really enjoyed the resolution of Will and Elizabeth's love story.

The soundtrack also gets top marks, mostly for the love theme.

Jurassic Park 3 just gets a big "Meh" (and also my vote in this poll). I've never been invested in the franchise.

I have no desire to see this one again except possibly for noting the soundtrack.

You definitely need to manage your expectations when you watch a film. If you're going to pay money to see something, you need to have a good idea of what you're paying for or else you're going to be disappointed, i.e., wasting money.

If you're referring to me, I absolutely knew what I was in for when I went to watch Transformers 2. I read reviews and saw enough Michael Bay movies (including the first Transformers) to know that I didn't like the man's work. I didn't even want to see it to be honest. Point is, I was expecting a crap movie and it performed below those expectations, which as I said is a bit of an accomplishment.

I was expecting a crap movie and it performed below those expectations, which as I said is a bit of an accomplishment.

I definitely understand where you're coming from. (I actually cast my vote for Transformers.)

Of course I was kidding about Superman Returns.

I thought you were, but there's always hope. I've never examined the score but I liked the movie.

My least favorite sequel is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Never have I been so dissappointed by a film that collapsed on my expectations of it. After the near perfect Raiders, and the superior sequal Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, I had way too high expectations. So my expectations for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull were low, and Spielberg delivered what I expected.

I had no love of Transformers so I had not expectation of quality but the sequel was still so poorly written that it was horrible.

I love Terminator and T2, liked T3 but it had no real reason for existance, and T4 was terrible, further proof that Christian Bale is woefully overrated. Seriously in The Dark Knight he was over shawdowed by all the male actors, he's overshadowed in T4, and he was overshadowed by Wolverine in the previous Nolan epic.