The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration--Part 3

Josh500

We have 2 so far, and these are 2 of my favorite JW compilations. If there was a third, which tracks would it include (let's say 14 tracks)?

The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration

Williams on Williams - The Classic Spielberg Scores

1. Abandoned In The Woods (from A.I.)

2. The Lost World (Theme)

3. Sean's Theme (from Minority Report)

4. The Jungle Chase (from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)

5. Catch Me If You Can (Theme)

6. A Whirl Through Academe (from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)

7. Escape from the City (from War of the Worlds)

8. The Terminal (Theme)

9. Avner's Theme (from Munich)

10. Everybody Runs (from Minority Report)

11. Minority Report (Theme)

12. The Reunion (from A.I.)

13. The Adventures of Mutt (from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)

14. Hymn to the Fallen (from Saving Private Ryan)

Hmmm. Williams and Spielberg have collaborated on 23 feature length films:

1. Sugarland Express (1974)

2. Jaws (1975)

3. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (1977)

4. 1941 (1979)

5. Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1981)

6. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

7. Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom (1984)

8. Empire Of The Sun (1987)

9. Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (1989)

10. Always (1989)

11. Hook (1991)

12. Jurassic Park (1993)

13. Schindler's List (1993)

14. The Lost World (1997)

15. Amistad (1997)

16. Saving Private Ryan (1998)

17. A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)

18. Minority Report (2002)

19. Catch Me If You Can (2002)

20. The Terminal (2004)

21. War Of The Worlds (2005)

22. Munich (2005)

23. Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (2008)

The Spielberg / Williams Collaboration (1991) featured selections from 1-10

Williams On Williams: The Classic Spielberg Scores (1995) feature selections from 2-6, 8, 11-13

I'd say we are more than overdue for a 3rd volume!

Two things I'd love to see are:

Marion's Theme (2008 concert arrangement) and Irina's Theme (new concert arrangement)

Return To The Village and the full and complete End Credits from TOD would be amazing as well.

I'd also love to see something from Amazing Stories. Either just an extended arrangement of the Main Theme, but also a suite from The Mission would be incredible!

I think the rest of their older scores have been sufficiently covered in the first 2 volumes.

For the newer scores, I'd pick:

14. The Lost World (1997) - Theme From The Lost World

15. Amistad (1997) - Dry Your Tears, Africa

16. Saving Private Ryan (1998) - Hymm To The Fallen

17. A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - not familiar enough to pick

18. Minority Report (2002) - Sean's Theme & Everybody Runs, though having Spyders arranged into a concert arrangement would be awesome

19. Catch Me If You Can (2002) - "The Float"

20. The Terminal (2004) - The Tale Of Viktor Navorsky & Jazz Autographs

21. War Of The Worlds (2005) - not familiar enough to pick

22. Munich (2005) - Avner's Theme

I'm sure Adventures Of Mutt would be on there if they made one.

And of course - something from Tintin, the possible final Spielberg/Wiliams collaboration smile.gif

Well, it would have to include

The Lost World (with concert version intro and new ending)

Marion's Theme and Irina's Theme (2008 concert arrangements)

Hmmm, I can't recall right now hearing a new concert version intro to The Lost World Theme. Is there a youtube link?

Hmmm, I can't recall right now hearing a new concert version intro to The Lost World Theme. Is there a youtube link?

Just check the End Credits on the DVD. It has the concert version opening tag.

Does the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration include any new arrangements or extensions like the Williams on Williams album does?

I'd love expansions/concert versions of these themes:

-Russian Theme from KotCS

- Blue Fairy Theme

- Monica's Theme

- Sean's Theme

In addition to Marion's Theme and Irina's Theme (and apparently the Lost World concert version, which I didn't know existed).

Does the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration include any new arrangements or extensions like the Williams on Williams album does?

Yes, it includes the awesome concert version of The Slave Children's Crusade from TOD

IIRC, Sherzo For Motorcyle And Orchestra has a new ending as well. I could be mis-remembering that though.

And again, I'm assuming that any repeats between this CD and John Williams: Greatest Hits are the exact same recording?

I've wanted Vol.3 for soooo long but I doubt it's ever going to happen. Infact any new Sony CD would be appreciated! At least the new Music of America compilation has some fresh material along with the usual suspects.

Your choices are good Jason, for WOTW The Ferry Scene and for AI The Moon Rising / Reunion suite would be great.

There's a concert version of The Lost World on that Erich Kunzel Tribute to Spielberg CD, which is very good. Except for the riciculously over the top endings tagged on to Empire of the Sun and Saving Private Ryan.

- Tim

I too speculated more than once about a possible volume 3 of the Spielberg/Williams series on Sony. Here's what I would like to have re-recorded by JW with the BPO:

. Theme from The Lost World (Concert Version)

. "Dry Your Tears Afrika" from Amistad (Concert Version--similar to the OST, but with slightly different opening and closing)

. "Hymn to the Fallen" from Saving Private Ryan

. "The Mecha World" / "The Reunion" from A.I. (the latter was performed in concert by JW and the LA Phil back in 2001)

. Theme from Minority Report (the end credits concert suite), plus a concert-ized version of "Anderton's Great Escape"

. "Escapades for Alto Sax and Orchestra" from Catch Me If You Can (w/ Dan Higgins as soloist)

. "Viktor's Tale" (and possibly an extended "Jazz Autographs") from The Terminal

. "Escape from the City" / "Epilogue" from War of the Worlds (the JW Signature Edition)

. "A Prayer for Peace" / "Thoughts of Home" from Munich (w/ Martha Babcock on cello and Keisuke Wakao on oboe)

. "Irina's Theme" (extended concert version) / "The Adventures of Mutt" / "A Whirl through Academe" / "Marion's Theme" from Indy 4.

That's for the films from 1997-present.

Then there's the new E.T. Symphonic Suite he debuted last year at Tanglewood (a.k.a "Three Million Light Years from Home" / "Abandoned and Pursued" / "Stargazers" a.k.a. "E.T and Me".

I'd love also to have some new fresh takes on some great classic pieces JW never re-recorded, like "One Barrel Chase" from Jaws (the wonderful original 1975 album version), "Mountain Visions" from CE3K, "The Map Room" from Raiders (damn, I'd love to hear a new recording of this!), "Mine Cart Chase" from Temple of Doom.

But none of this will ever happen :)

I'd love some sort of suite of KOTCS, in the style of the Finale from said score. Instead of opening with Marion's and Indy's theme, I'd change that and open with the Crystal Skull theme. Then go into Irina's Theme, The Russians Theme, The Adventures of Mutt, then the new version of Marion's theme and then the fantastic variation of the Raiders March from the Finale.

Also, some new variations on older stuff wouldn't be bad. Imagine if Willy did a new suite from Jaws. Wouldn't that be really cool?

Edit: Heh, just noticed your post, Maurizio. We agree on the revisting stuff! :)

Marion's Theme (2008 concert arrangement) and Irina's Theme (new concert arrangement)

:)

It'd also be neat to have the Raiders March with the alternate Crystal Skull ending.

There's a concert version of The Lost World on that Erich Kunzel Tribute to Spielberg CD, which is very good.

This the one?

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Movie-Scores-Steven-Spielberg/dp/B00000HYH8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1278018121&sr=1-1-fkmr0

We have 2 so far, and these are 2 of my favorite JW compilations. If there was a third, which tracks would it include (let's say 14 tracks)?

The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration

Williams on Williams - The Classic Spielberg Scores

1. Abandoned In The Woods (from A.I.)

2. The Lost World (Theme)

3. Sean's Theme (from Minority Report)

4. The Jungle Chase (from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)

5. Catch Me If You Can (Theme)

6. A Whirl Through Academe (from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)

7. Escape from the City (from War of the Worlds)

8. The Terminal (Theme)

9. Avner's Theme (from Munich)

10. Everybody Runs (from Minority Report)

11. Minority Report (Theme)

12. The Reunion (from A.I.)

13. The Adventures of Mutt (from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)

14. Hymn to the Fallen (from Saving Private Ryan)

Ouch. I'd give that CD a miss. :)

Let's see, did Spielberg have anything to do with "Soundings"? (We can dream...)