A random JW poll for this hot summer day!

Josh500

Which do you prefer?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which JW score do you prefer?

• Empire of the Sun
    • Far and Away
    • Memoirs of a Geisha
  2. 2. Which movie do you prefer?

• Empire of the Sun
    • Far and Away
    • Memoirs of a Geisha

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only know the Empire of the Sun score and movie. Both are good, but I think the film is slightly better than it's score, which gets a bit too bombastic towards the end. I haven't seen Far and Away or Memoirs of a Geisha.

Memoirs of a Geisha for movie.

About equal to Far and Away score for me. Perhaps slight edge.

I don't dislike Empire of the Sun, but it's a movie I have little desire to regularly re-visit. Dark tone, disagreeable characters and too long in my opinion. This is allegedly a Spielberg masterpiece, but I just don't see it. I can't get into it, you know? Spoiled rich brat in a concentration camp. Schindler's List was similarly dark, but overall superior. I love the characters in that one. I'm sure it's even longer than Empire, but it's riveting the whole way through. Can't take your eyes off it. I don't have an attention span for Empire of the Sun. By the time they're in that stadium, I'm totally lost emotionally. Memoirs is just entertaining. Beautiful to look at, listen to and overall quite enjoyable.

I only know the Empire of the Sun score and movie. Both are good, but I think the film is slightly better than it's score, which gets a bit too bombastic towards the end. I haven't seen Far and Away or Memoirs of a Geisha.

But you know the scores Far and Away and Memoirs, right?

How would you rank the scores?

I've chosen these 3 because I personally feel they are (almost) on the same level in terms of quality and listenability.

Empire, film and score. Haven't listened to much of Far and Away, but what I have doesn't interest me much. The movie is awful. Memoirs the film and music are both okay, but nothing more.

I remember a time when Far and Away was called one of the most underrated scores (though not movie) on this board...

But that time has passed?

Remember FaA includes "The Land Race"!

Far and Away on both accounts. The music is really good and I like the movie too.

The other two films might be better, but I don't enjoy them as much.

The music of Far and Away is absolutely fantastic to me. It's sort of a semi-masterpiece in my opinion. "The Land Race" is one of Williams' best cues, and by that I mean it rivals (but doesn't quite defeat) "Rebel Fleet/End Title," "Adventures on Earth," etc. That gets my vote for score. Second is tough...I like both scores. In the end I'd probably say Empire of the Sun, because there's less "dead music" in this score. Geisha has some gorgeous moments ("Going to School," "Confluence," "End Credits," etc.) but there is a good amount of boring underscore also. If you throw in all the works written outside the film - "Cadillac of the Skies" for Empire and all the various concert works for Geisha, then it'd probably rank Geisha second and Empire third for those wonderful piano/cello duets offered only on iTunes.

Am I the only one that feels Exsultate Justi didn't fit the movie at all?

Yes.

I thought it fit the movie perfectly. This piece even elevates the movie to a higher level in an unexpected way.

Such a very random poll, even for Josh, LOL.

Far and Away for score.

Empire of the Sun for movie.

I wonder why most people don't explain their choices... I said "And why?"

But then, I didn't either. But that's only because I am still wondering why I like Memoirs (for score) and Empire (for movie) the best! :mrgreen:

Movie is easily Empire of the Sun, the only good movie on the list. In fact, it's the onyl one that isn't mor than a little embarassing.

Socre-wise, I went with Empire too. It's not the one I listen to most of the three, but it is the meatiest one.

I thought it fit the movie perfectly. This piece even elevates the movie to a higher level in an unexpected way.

Explain?

Hmmm, it's hard to explain. You need to see it, experience it, appreciate it.

It's like having the Duel of the Fates for the light saber scenes in TPM or hearing Double Trouble as you enter Hogwarts for the first time in POA. These scenes are pefectly fine without these pieces, but having them adds some additional and intangible magic. This is one definition of "movie magic," I guess.

I think Empire of the Sun had to win on both counts, even though I quite liked Memoirs of a Geisha as a movie and soundtrack.

Empire of the Sun as a movie is simply a far superior levle of quality when placed alongside MOG even though MOG stands alone as a fairly good movie.

I've not seen Far and Away apart from a few snippets, and not heard the score properly either.

Incidentally, the scene in the superb YT clip above may not be far off the reality from economic circumstances in the west, in coming years.

The Basies of this world are going to excell.

I wonder why most people don't explain their choices... I said "And why?"

Here I thought the "and why" was a question about the existence of the poll. :mrgreen:

Why Empire of the Sun for movie? Because I enjoyed it, and I did not particularly enjoy the other two. Not saying they're bad movies; they're just not my cup of tea.

Why Far and Away for score? Because Memoirs of a Geisha is exceedingly boring for a large amount of the score, and because Empire of the Sun, while still a great score, just doesn't have quite the level of excitement and enthusiasm.

I love the score of Empire of the Sun, but apart from 3 or 4 great tracks, there's not much that grabs my attention.

1. "Exsultate Justi"

2. "Jim's New Life"

3. "Cadillac of the Skies"

4. "Toy Planes, Home, and Hearth"

That's why I picked Memoirs for score.

I love the score of Empire of the Sun, but apart from 3 or 4 great tracks, there's not much that grabs my attention.1. "Exsultate Justi"2. "Jim's New Life"3. "Cadillac of the Skies"4. "Toy Planes, Home, and Hearth"That's why I picked Memoirs for score.

BOLLOCKS!!! You don't love the aching oboe on "Return To The City", or the choir on "No Road Home/Seeing The Bomb", the panic of "Lost In The Crowd", the beauty of "Imaginary Air Battle", the intensity of "Streets Of Shanghai", the minimalism of "The Pheasant Hunt" or the sheer "Welshness" of "Sou Gan"?!

HAVE YOU NO SOUL, MAN?!

EOTS gets both my votes, because it roundly beats the living crap out of the other two. In 1988, Derek Malcolm (I think) called EOTS "the most complete film Spielberg has made". I agree. When all the hoo-hah about Jaws, and Indiana Jones has died down, then perhaps we will start to appreciate his underrated films like EOTS, Amistad, and The Sugarland Express. I have waxed lyrical about EOTS on this site, for the past 18 months. This is a film that I find something new in every time I see it. Please, all of you: give it another chance. You won't regret it.