These are the JW OS albumss that I own... which should I get next?

Josh500

Below you see the JW OS albums that I have (the latest I got was Always, which arrived yesterday; I got it for $10 in near mint condition). I guess I don't have to own everything JW wrote and released, but I would like to have all the good ones. Also, I think I will never get the 60s scores. I just don't think they're that great, at least compared to his later scores.

SO which 3 should I get next? I was thinking:

1. The Fury

2. Earthquake

3. The Poseidon Adventure

You agree? If not, what is more worth having? Please note that I am only talking about JW OS albums that are or have been available (not something that was never released in the first place). Thanks for any helpful or well-meant input.

2008 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

2005 - Munich

2005 - Memoirs of a Geisha

2005 - War of the Worlds

2005 - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

2004 - The Terminal

2004 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

2002 - Catch Me If You Can

2002 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

2002 - Minority Report

2002 - Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

2001 - A.I. Artificial Intelligence

2000 - The Patriot

1999 - Angela's Ashes

1999 - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

1998 - Stepmom

1998 - Saving Private Ryan

1997 - Amistad

1997 - Seven Years in Tibet

1997 - The Lost World: Jurassic Park

1997 - Rosewood

1996 - Sleepers

1995 - Nixon

1995 - Sabrina

1993 - Schindler's List

1993 - Jurassic Park

1992 - Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

1992 - Far and Away

1991 - JFK

1991 - Hook

1990 - Home Alone

1990 - Presumed Innocent

1990 - Stanley & Iris

1989 - Always

1989 - Born o­n the Fourth of July

1989 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1988 - The Accidental Tourist

1987 - Empire of the Sun

1987 - The Witches of Eastwick

1984 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

1983 - Return of the Jedi

1982 - Monsignor

1982 - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

1981 - Raiders of the Lost Ark

1980 - The Empire Strikes Back

1979 - 1941

1978 - Superman - The Movie

1978 - Jaws 2

1977 - Close Encounters of the Third Kind

1977 - Star Wars

1976 - The Missouri Breaks

1975 - Jaws

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Images is excellent if you can still get it. I agree that you can skip Earthquake if you're not a completist.

Well, I already have the "Main Title" of Earthquake (from the compilation album "Filmworks"), which I like quite a lot. So jazzy and increasingly urgent, somehow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk4mo-9bsKw

Is the rest of the score negligible?

Images is excellent if you can still get it.

Yes!

Either way it seems you're going to be screwed out of more money than these scores are worth. In my opinion, you're better off building up in-print scores and whatever limited editions are still available. You might be able to grab the old release of The Fury for cheap, and it's a perfectly fine representation of that score. Poseidon Adventure, you're screwed. Should have gotten that when it was re-released, but then it was only available for a week or so. Earthquake isn't necessary, but it's one that I'm still holding out for a complete release. It sounds like Towering Inferno (perhaps a bit too much), which I like.

Instead, get:

Amazing Stories 1+3

The Reivers

Black Sunday

Fury is essential. Poseidon is rather mediocre. I don't yet have Earthquake myself. I agree with the Images and Reivers recommendations. Three more great early scores are Jane Eyre, The Cowboys and Heidi.

Nope, the Reivers is available as a completely legitimate CD.

http://www.amazon.com/Reivers-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B000002AN0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278777518&sr=8-2

It's a great great score, I highly recommend it. I got a copy for 25 bucks so I might search around on eBay or wait a while to see if the price goes down rather than buying it right now on amazong for 44 bucks.

Edit: Nevermind, it's only 30 used. That's a pretty good deal for such a good score.

You also might want to check out The River since it's only 5 bucks at SAE right now.

I don't think $30 is reasonable for a 30-something minute album that's pre-owend and possibly damaged. eBay it, bookmark the Amazon page and periodically check it when you're having your breakfast or getting ready in the morning and when you're surfing after-hours. You can do much better than that. It's recommended, but not at such an asking price. I think it's overdue for a deluxe edition, anyway. I'd like any improvement they could muster sound-wise.

That's a given, since it's the best among most Williams scores. ;)

Nope, the Reivers is available as a completely legitimate CD.

http://www.amazon.com/Reivers-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B000002AN0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278777518&sr=8-2

It's a great great score, I highly recommend it. I got a copy for 25 bucks so I might search around on eBay or wait a while to see if the price goes down rather than buying it right now on amazong for 44 bucks.

Edit: Nevermind, it's only 30 used. That's a pretty good deal for such a good score.

One thing to bear in mind, and please note this is completely unfounded speculation on my part: That release is part of the same Sony series that also included the previous Blue Max album, which was recently expanded & remastered. I can't recall if there's any missing from the Reivers album, but potentially this might be a candidate for a future update?

The Fury is expensive, very expensive. Unless you want to settle for the OST, I'd search eBay and Amazon every now and then for a copy of the Deluxe Edition that you can afford. With that being said, you should get Black Sunday and Images. Those two are essential IMO.

Anyways from you collection you have most of them. At this point you should be grabbing anything that you don't have, including Earthquake if you can buy it

The Fury is expensive, very expensive. Unless you want to settle for the OST, I'd search eBay and Amazon every now and then for a copy of the Deluxe Edition that you can afford.

To be fair, the original album (disc 2 on the DE) has all the music I ever listen to. If you can live without the remastering (which isn't that noticeable as far as I recall), the old release should have all you need.

The album version is NOT complete. It's missing some original stuff from the score. But unlike recent Williams "album arrangements", it's arranged the way it's recorded (no copy & paste here). It's a better balanced listening experience, and it's a much better performance (by the LSO) and recording than the actual score recordings.

The Cowboys, The Reivers, Black Sunday, and Images are all excellent scores.

I have the Main Theme from "The Reivers" from the Greatest Hits compilation (or whatever it was called) from Sony, the 2-disc thingy, you know what I mean. Wasn't terribly impressed by it, but OK, I might get this. Also, I seem to remember I have the Boston Pops version of it too, the one with the narration.

The Fury is expensive, very expensive. Unless you want to settle for the OST, I'd search eBay and Amazon every now and then for a copy of the Deluxe Edition that you can afford. With that being said, you should get Black Sunday and Images. Those two are essential IMO.

Yes, Black Sunday, Images, Poseidon, and The Fury (the expanded version) are on my list now.

I would get Earthquake before Images, but the later is cheaper right now...

So what's Earthquake like? Like I said, I have only the "Main Title" and the "Love Theme." Is the rest negligible?

Anyways from you collection you have most of them. At this point you should be grabbing anything that you don't have, including Earthquake if you can buy it

Actually you're right!

But I wanted to know which of the ones I don't have I should get first. ;)

Either way it seems you're going to be screwed out of more money than these scores are worth. In my opinion, you're better off building up in-print scores and whatever limited editions are still available. You might be able to grab the old release of The Fury for cheap, and it's a perfectly fine representation of that score. Poseidon Adventure, you're screwed.

You know, when there is a re-release available, I will always get that.

Is Poseidon Adventure OOP already? (Damn, I should keep up with this stuff!) How much was this? And can you give me the link?

It just occurred to me... no one mentioned "Spacecamp"!

The Fury is expensive, very expensive. Unless you want to settle for the OST, I'd search eBay and Amazon every now and then for a copy of the Deluxe Edition that you can afford.

To be fair, the original album (disc 2 on the DE) has all the music I ever listen to. If you can live without the remastering (which isn't that noticeable as far as I recall), the old release should have all you need.

The album version is NOT complete. It's missing some original stuff from the score. But unlike recent Williams "album arrangements", it's arranged the way it's recorded (no copy & paste here). It's a better balanced listening experience, and it's a much better performance (by the LSO) and recording than the actual score recordings.

Lousy synthesized theremin, though.

Is Poseidon Adventure OOP already? (Damn, I should keep up with this stuff!) How much was this? And can you give me the link?

Poseidon Adventure in stereo was available for a relatively short span of time from La-La Land. I think it was just around a week before it sold out.

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/PoseidonAdventure.html

If you want to officially own music from SpaceCamp and don't feel like spending your life savings on the CD, get the Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops Star Tracks II which includes a nice suite.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000003CUD/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000003CT8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0AFQ1Y7B8W9NY8F06WRC

That's because you can't find it for less than $250, and that it's due for a rerelease from one of the labels.

Ahhh great! Is the exact date known?

Poseidon Adventure in stereo was available for a relatively short span of time from La-La Land. I think it was just around a week before it sold out.

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/PoseidonAdventure.html

Thanks! You know, I found Poseidon on amazon. It goes for $67.99... at the cheapest!

I doubt that this is that good... ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Poseidon-Adventure-Soundtrack-John-Williams/dp/B003IQLL88/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278788996&sr=1-3

If you want to officially own music from SpaceCamp and don't feel like spending your life savings on the CD, get the Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops Star Tracks II which includes a nice suite.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000003CUD/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000003CT8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0AFQ1Y7B8W9NY8F06WRC

Hmmm, what about the score of Spacecamp itself (I have never heard it)? Is it any good? Or is it so-so?

Three more great early scores are Jane Eyre, The Cowboys and Heidi.

Yes, "Jane Eyre"! Damn, there are still so many! Yes, I know this one's good.

But "Heidi"? Really? ;)

Thanks! You know, I found Poseidon on amazon. It goes for $67.99... at the cheapest!

I doubt that this is that good... ;)

I have the old release. I probably would have picked up the new one if it hadn't sold out by the time enough stuff for my next order was out. But I've played the old FSM release so rarely, I don't really mind missing out on the new one.

Yes, "Jane Eyre"! Damn, there are still so many! Yes, I know this one's good.

"Good" is an understatement. It's essential.

But "Heidi"? Really? ;)

Yes, there's some wonderful stuff in it. Nice mountain brass, and The Miracle is a small masterpiece in its own right. The song can easily be skipped.

That's because you can't find it for less than $250, and that it's due for a rerelease from one of the labels.

Ahhh great! Is the exact date known?

There's nothing official, or even rumored (that I know of).

It's just that with everything being released now it's pretty much inevitable sooner or later.

As an aside, what's this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPACECAMP-YES-GIORGIO-John-Williams-LIMITED-IMPORT-/250635463055?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3a5b09a98f

And why isn't the price ridiculous like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Williams-SPACECAMP-Japan-only-CD-SLC-SCC1016-w-OBI-/250649387043?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3a5bde2023

I've bought other scores from that seller before. They look and play just like normal CDs, although I'm sure they're not lossless. I wouldn't know.

SC has also only ever had one CD pressing, in Japan as part of an RCA CD club. Yes, Giorgio was not included.

Surprised no one's mentioned Dracula, but that's another hard and expensive one to get. Might be expanded soon though.

I'd say the only ones you would really need are The Fury, Dracula and Black Sunday.

A bit more "out of the box", you might want to try "Lost in Space", some good stuff in there.

The Cowboys, The Reivers, Black Sunday, and Images are all excellent scores.

I have the Main Theme from "The Reivers" from the Greatest Hits compilation (or whatever it was called) from Sony, the 2-disc thingy, you know what I mean. Wasn't terribly impressed by it, but OK, I might get this. Also, I seem to remember I have the Boston Pops version of it too, the one with the narration.

If you don't like this then maybe you should hold off on Reivers. I think the best no brainer buy would be The Cowboys. It's loud, brassy, and bombastic. Not saying that's the only thing you can appreciate, but it's probably the only thing that almost everybody would appreciate.

I'd like to know, who here actually has the OS album of Spacecamp?

And those who do, what's the score like?

Well i dont actually HAVE the OS, but i cant tell you how it sounds.

Rather good and fun, being 80s williams.

Really have to stress Amazing Stories again. They are Spielberg collaborations, so I figured you'd want to look into them. The theme and The Mission are perennial favorites of mine. Plus, they're limited. Should get those ASAP. The re-recording from Varese also isn't bad.

Dracula is another great one. You gotta love the theme, but if you do it's a wonderful experience. I do not recommend Lost in Space...beyond the different main themes, I don't find myself returning to any music on the CD.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Because Diego mentioned Dracula, I have only the main theme from this, again from the compilation album "film works." I quite like this (sounds like "Chamber of Secrets"), but I figured the main title is probably the best thing about it.

So the ones I have to get now are:

Black Sunday

Images

The Fury

Dracula

Jane Eyre

Spacecamp

The Poseidon Adventure

Amazing Stories

And possibly:

Earthquake

Heidi

The Cowboys

The Reivers

Lost in Space

Anything else? Man, the list keeps growing! :)

So what's Earthquake like? Like I said, I have only the "Main Title" and the "Love Theme." Is the rest negligible?

I really like it, although I appreciate that I am probably in the minority. While the scores to The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno have a timeless quality to them, the music for Earthquake places it very much in 1974 Los Angeles. The album is rather curious for a number of reasons - it is a rerecording (not unusual in itself for a 70s score), eccentrically sequenced and concentrates on album arrangements of the jazzier source cues more than the dramatic underscore. It also cuts and pastes some of the disparate cues into a strange little suite ('medley'), while there is also a mistake on the track listing for a couple of the cues. There is a lot of good stuff from the second half of the movie that does not appear on the album in any form, although most of the cues in the movie are actually quite short anyway.

I too am hopeful that some day a full release will happen - perhaps with the album version and original soundtrack together - giving a more balanced presentation of the score. If you like JW's jazzy stuff (Cinderella Liberty, The Paper Chase, etc.) you will almost certainly like this. One of the source cues, Something for Rosa, appears for only about four seconds in the theatrical release of the movie, but was tracked into one of the hilarious additional scenes shot for the release of the TV version a couple of years later, where it can be heard almost in full.

Taking what I glean is your taste into consideration, I would say that the MUST-HAVES are THE FURY and - most of all - JANE EYRE (one of Williams' alltime best!). EARTHQUAKE has a couple of cool cues, but isn't that impressive. Lots of droning suspense tracks. The same is true of POSEIDON, BLACK SUNDAY and to a lesser extent TOWERING INFERNO. IMAGES is a fascinating listen, but really very challenging. Very dissonant for the most part, lots of weird percussive effects and so on. It's definitely an acquired taste.

DRACULA is pretty good too, in that dark, romantic mode, but increasingly hard to find.

If you didn't like THE REIVERS, I'm not sure you'll like THE COWBOYS either. Both are Americana scores, but the former is more "deep south/New Orleans"-type thing, while the other is a more standard, rollicking Western score.

Anyways, my two cents. Go for THE FURY, JANE EYRE and DRACULA - if you can find them in an affordable range.

Because Diego mentioned Dracula, I have only the main theme from this, again from the compilation album "film works." I quite like this (sounds like "Chamber of Secrets"), but I figured the main title is probably the best thing about it.

Not necessarily. It's primarily a one-theme score, but Williams wouldn't do that by just repeating the theme over and over again without tons of variations. There's the mandatory 70s Williams scherzo in To Scarborough, some cool rhythmic stuff in Meeting in the Cave, and a very atmospheric Dracula's Death.

I'd be careful though. There haven't been any announcements whatsoever, but this is one score everybody has been expecting an expansion/remaster of for a long time now. It fits the era, it's one of the last remaining Williams scores from its time, everybody wants it, Varese have already been able to release it once, and it was recorded in London. Can't be that much longer really.

If you didn't like THE REIVERS, I'm not sure you'll like THE COWBOYS either. Both are Americana scores, but the former is more "deep south/New Orleans"-type thing, while the other is a more standard, rollicking Western score.

Well described, but that's why I wouldn't link liking one to liking the other. I like Reivers well enough, but considering its reputation, I find it a bit overrated. If we consider Reivers, Cowboys and Jane Eyre the three big Williams scores from the time, I think the latter two are clearly ahead. They're all very different, of course.

If you want to sample those scores and the OST's are too expensive, you should be able to get Boston Pops compilations with re-recordings for dirt cheap. You probably have By Request, but get Music for Stage and Screen (Reivers) and Pops Britannia (Jane Eyre).

If you want to sample those scores and the OST's are too expensive, you should be able to get Boston Pops compilations with re-recordings for dirt cheap. You probably have By Request, but get Music for Stage and Screen (Reivers) and Pops Britannia (Jane Eyre).

Yes, I do have the Music for Stage and Screen (although not By Request) and relistened to "The Reivers" yesterday. I like it. Not outstanding, but great in its own way. Or perhaps I am saying great for a 60s score. :) Anyway, I think I'm gonna get the OS.

I have an idea this is better than Missouri Breaks, which I hardly ever listen to.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Eiger Sanction.

Yes!

I have actually 3 tracks from the OS (again from the Japanese Film Works) and all 3 are outstanding: "Main Title," "Top of the World," and "Training with George." "Training with George" actually reminds me a bit of "Setting the Traps" from Home Alone. Great, in other words.

Unfortunately, I have never seen the OS album anywhere. Come to that, I have never seen the movie, either.

Not necessarily. It's primarily a one-theme score, but Williams wouldn't do that by just repeating the theme over and over again without tons of variations. There's the mandatory 70s Williams scherzo in To Scarborough, some cool rhythmic stuff in Meeting in the Cave, and a very atmospheric Dracula's Death.

I'd be careful though. There haven't been any announcements whatsoever, but this is one score everybody has been expecting an expansion/remaster of for a long time now. It fits the era, it's one of the last remaining Williams scores from its time, everybody wants it, Varese have already been able to release it once, and it was recorded in London. Can't be that much longer really.

Thanks for this analysis.

Yes, considering Dracula is being offered at no less than $100 anywhere, I think I'm gonna wait on this one. In the meanwhile, I will keep listening to the very much Sturm und Drang "Main Title."

I really like it, although I appreciate that I am probably in the minority. While the scores to The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno have a timeless quality to them, the music for Earthquake places it very much in 1974 Los Angeles. The album is rather curious for a number of reasons - it is a rerecording (not unusual in itself for a 70s score), eccentrically sequenced and concentrates on album arrangements of the jazzier source cues more than the dramatic underscore. It also cuts and pastes some of the disparate cues into a strange little suite ('medley'), while there is also a mistake on the track listing for a couple of the cues. There is a lot of good stuff from the second half of the movie that does not appear on the album in any form, although most of the cues in the movie are actually quite short anyway.

Come to think of it, it'd be nice to have these 3 scores (which could be considered a trilogy?) in my JW collection.

The Poseidon Adventure

The Towering Inferno

Earthquake

Come to think of it, it'd be nice to have these 3 scores (which could be considered a trilogy?) in my JW collection.

The Poseidon Adventure

The Towering Inferno

Earthquake

Good luck with that. You'll need it. I've been trying to find a copy of FSM's Towering Inferno for years.

The Poseidon Adventure

The Towering Inferno

Earthquake

Good luck with that. You'll need it. I've been trying to find a copy of FSM's Towering Inferno for years.

But you have the other 2?