What was the last movie to REALLY grab you?

Quintus

I love the climax, because again I felt the fight scenes had this raw intensity about them. There's one bit where Hit-Girl comes out of an elevator and slays 3 bad guys almost instantly with a hunting knife tied to a rope...that was just too cool, reminded me of something out of an old Clint Eastwood western.

Was the theme from A Fistful Of Dollars too obvious?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No actually that part was the main movie theme (original score) made to sound Morricone-ish . I know that bit is from the original score album. But I figure her moves must have been inspired from a spaghetti western .There's a scene scored with actual Morricone music just before but the fit is not as good.

Yeah it was in your face and out of place, na'mean? Ebonics aside, I thought the film was overrated. I know we all discussed this in large amounts of detail before, so I won't go into it again.

RE: Kick-Ass - We're so desensitized to everything nowadays, I was also surprised at the slight backlash due to the violence and the little girl.

It's not that slight. Most internet message board discussions I've read about this film devolve into nasty name calling and personal attacks. It seems to be a very polarizing movie.

Is the backlash really that bad? Why exactly? What issues do these tin-hats have? Why the upset about the girl? She was freakin' amazing. I honestly have no knowledge of this. I dunno man, some idiots out there wouldn't know quality and real smart writing if it punched them in the face.

littlebigman.jpg

The last time a movie grabbed me was when I saw The Wizard Of Oz in theaters. Now I'm talking about the original movie and not that remake with whatsername and all those colors!

I knew that deep down you were a Hollywood shill!

Is the backlash really that bad? Why exactly? What issues do these tin-hats have? Why the upset about the girl? She was freakin' amazing. I honestly have no knowledge of this. I dunno man, some idiots out there wouldn't know quality and real smart writing if it punched them in the face.

I think that there is quality and real smart writing in there...but there is also empty cool. If the best reason you have to show an 11 year old girl maming and killing is because of how blissfully immoral it is, than you're just paying lip service to Aint it cool news geeks and their ilk. Geeks are not a demographic that should be blindly catered to, and Vaughn's film does falter at times for having no real conviction beyond 'won't Harry Knowles love this!". Still, good movie, and does at times acknowledge the fact that violence is both exciting and objectionable (like that brilliant scene of Kick-Ass getting stabbed).

I saw a bit of backlash...but the film came and went too quickly for it to become a thing. Not sure why it didn't do better- it certainly was one of the few movies released this year that I actually enjoyed (far better than shit like Iron Man 2).

I must visit AICN more often than I do then (never) because I'm a HUGE fan of mindless cartoony violence (see: Arnie and Paul Verhoeven movies). It needs no real justification; it just needs to be fun and as hilarious as possible. Kick-Ass nailed it.

If that upsets some people then tough shit.

Geeks are not a demographic that should be blindly catered to,

Not that I agree or disagree, but why the hell not? I'm sorry Morlock, but those are just foolish weasel words. I mean, what the heck gives you the moral highground? LOL!!!

It doesn't upset me how people respond- it annoys me when a filmmaker compromises something that could be much more daring and interesting for the sake of appealing to a certain demographic. I enjoy mindless violence (heck, I loved Wanted), but Kick-Ass at some points challenged perceived notions about film violence, and other times embraced it. I think it's more than mindless fun, but less than the really sharp critique (without apology for enjoyment) it initially promised. It's kind of similar to my problem with Up- they both really go for something, start out really gutsy. But after their first potent scene with real blood, they both retreat into fine fun, but never get back to the really interesting territory they started out in. The finale of Kick Ass is fine violent fun. But it has no subtext, and in terms of how it is staged and directed, wasn't nearly as much fun as Wanted to me.

Geeks are not a demographic that should be blindly catered to,

Not that I agree or disagree, but why the hell not? I'm sorry Morlock, but those are just foolish weasel words. I mean, what the heck gives you the moral highground? LOL!!!

As a group, geeks want genre thrills. I love genre thrills, but as one course of my cinematic diet, not as the entire meal. In fact, Harry Knowles response to Roger Ebert's (somewhat misguided) review of Kick-Ass so turned me off by its geek stupidity that I gave up on the site.

I agree that these films often run out of steam in the initial motivation and sub-context stakes, but I don't think that should automatically mean they should be held accountable for "copping out" in the third act. Kick-Ass is happy to be a four star movie. The superior fair of which you speak is found in the illustrious five star category. It's a shame you can't help but be ultimately disappointed in a movie as a result of it's failings instead of fondly concentrating on everything it got right. Is it glass is half empty syndrome?

The film is far from "dull" but it's not going to change your life. It's just fun. If it took itself seriously, then I probably would've hated it.

Probably Mr. Mom because I could relate to a guy staying at home watching soaps, but finally getting it together and fixing the house to the tune of Bill Conti's "Gonna Fly Now". It's a really funny movie!

I agree that these films often run out of steam in the initial motivation and sub-context stakes, but I don't think that should automatically mean they should be held accountable for "copping out" in the third act. Kick-Ass is happy to be a four star movie. The superior fair of which you speak is found in the illustrious five star category. It's a shame you can't help but be ultimately disappointed in a movie as a result of it's failings instead of fondly concentrating on everything it got right. Is it glass is half empty syndrome?

I don't know if I'd categorize it as ultimately disappointed...I've been recommending it freely and I think I was the first one on this board to speak up for it. But I can't help it- a film that promises to be more, and delivers on it only to recede to being perfectly fine does disappoint. I guess I will voice my disappointment the more unbalanced I feel the general reaction is. I don't think I've been particularly harsh on Kick-Ass. I was more harsh on Up because against my problems, the film was received with such unreserved praise everywhere, that I felt like taking it down a peg was the valid and correct thing to do. I don't think we need to settle for less. These two films are better than I expected, and part of them are far more edgy and interesting than I expected. I'll thank them for that, but I will take them to task for stepping into the light and then chicken out. Most movies don't know better -some are better, some are worse. If a filmmaker shows me that he does know better, but then decides to take the easy way out- I will be disappointed, yes.

Fair enough. I know you have been vocal about your enjoyment of Kick-Ass and I appreciate the fact that you have misgivings about it and Up (even if I strongly disagree there). The main thing is at least your not a miserable sod, like Alex.

The film is far from "dull" but it's not going to change your life. It's just fun. If it took itself seriously, then I probably would've hated it.

Except it does take itself seriously, which is why I didn't like it. KM even said how he was emotionally connected to the characters. The entire strobe light sequence leading up to Cage's death was trying to be serious. Wanted did the same thing in the end. I keep saying it and I'll say it again, Shoot 'Em Up is the only mindless violence flick that gets it right all the way through. At least the only one I've seen.

Ah ok, you must have missed the first time I mentioned this movie on this MB. That's the reply I got (yes, in all caps).

Kick-Ass:Best movie of the year so far

IT WAS REPREHENSIBLE, BUT HEY IF YOU GET YOUR ROCKS OFF AND ARE ENTERTAINED BY SEEING AN 11 YEAR OLD SAY CUNT AND GET BEAT TO DEATH MORE POWER TO YOU.

That really put me on the defensive about starting a thread dedicated to the film

Here of course. That's from Joey.

I don't post at AICN. I only read the talkbacks when I'm bored

I don't care if a film takes itself seriously or not.

I just found the presentation to be dull.

You knew the comic BEFORE the film came out? That makes your casual dismissal of the film seem a bit out of place. Seriously the artwork of the comic I've seen isn't that good and I'm not even interested in it . You should give the movie a chance to stand as it's own thing .If you read the Jaws novel and didn't like it for some reason it doesn't give you an excuse to skip Spielberg's film

I don't think your idea of what contitutes as taking oneself seriously is the same as mine. It seems you approach subjects at face value...

Well, in the strobe sequence there are jokes scattered about, but the characters themselves are not jokes , and by that time you care enough about them so that anyone dying has the same effect as in a serious drama. I was laughing at the jokes, but at the same time it was one of the more tragic and potent death scenes I've seen in a while

I think that there is quality and real smart writing in there.....but there is also empty cool. If the best reason you have to show an 11 year old girl maming and killing is because of how blissfully immoral it is,

Because making her 5 years older or a boy would have made killing and maiming more acceptable? Anyways if you reduce the character to the gimmic that pissed off the parental groups it would have failed miserably on screen. Hit-Girl is a lot more than that. You could write pages about what worked brilliantly with that character, beginning by the fantastic and instantly iconic performance of the actress who played her right up to her various acrobatic and weapon skills (she's an expert in ALL weapons mind you) and even the details of her costume. And it's no small feat of movie magic to convince you this tiny girl can wipe out a room full of men three times her size almost instantly, and that you adore her by the end of the film. So there's nothing "empty cool" about her , she's just genuinely cool on multiple levels. And you just know that by the first second she appears on screen in full costume after killing the drug dealer.

Shoot 'Em Up is the only mindless violence flick that gets it right all the way through. At least the only one I've seen.

I saw that. It was a good action film but it didn't leave much of an impression after I left the theater. Same thing with Punisher. I don't remember much about them except that I had fun watching them. And you can add Doomsday and Death Sentence in that category of films

And I liked Wanted very much but a lot less than Kick Ass personally

Maybe you should actually try watching the movie? I've never seen the comic in my life.

Based on comments from people who I trust, the movie deviates somewhat but it's basically the same.

No need to waste my time. You may find it narrow minded but I have enough in my life to keep me busy so if I never see Kick Ass, it's not gonna matter.

Hell I work with someone who hasn't set foot in a movie theatre in 30 years and their life is ok.

Toy Story 3, then Precious before that, then Avatar before that. Probably, The Dark Knight before that and There Will Be Blood before that. That's as far as I can recall. Indiana Jones 4 "grabbed" me, I guess. I saw it 3 times in theaters.

It was a good action film but it didn't leave much of an impression after I left the theater. Same thing with Punisher. I don't remember much about them except that I had fun watching them.

The Punisher made certain I never looked at a paper cutter the same way again.

I never worked up the want to go see Kick-Ass. I may rent it someday.

As much as I might complain about movies, they touch me at some level every time I go.

To the guy who said Up started out great and then kind of devolves into a just "okay" movie: yes. The same with Wall-E in my opinion. The opening scenes of those flicks are pretty amazing. As soon as they're in the jungle with the dogs and the bird thing, Up loses me. Though there is one touching scene tucked away in there. Wall-E falls into the trap where they've got something really good going on and then they completely screw it up. See: the scenes on the space station with the blob people. What the...

These Pixar films are still aimed at children. You can't expect anything too edgy or look too hard for some deeper meaning. Or anything too shocking to happen to the characters.

These Pixar films are still aimed at children. You can't expect anything too edgy or look too hard for some deeper meaning.

They deal with adult themes though, especially The Incredibles.

Except it does take itself seriously, which is why I didn't like it.

Jeez, Kick-Ass doesn't take itself seriously at all. The constant jokes, the over-the-topness, and the many references to the comic book genre should tell you this. It's the film's biggest virtue. The reason why you didn't like it was because you don't see or notice these things.