BurgaFlippinMan

The Photography Thread

Some snaps taken today from Devonshire in the south of England, where we're on holiday this week.

acPMUhC.jpg

Many years ago I got extremely drunk at Powderham Castle and arguably assisted in adding nutrients to that very soil where those roses now grow. It was not my finest hour.

Where is the church in your other photo, Quint? I cannot place it.

Seriously, wtf did you do and how did you come to be drunk there? ;)

I went to a black tie ball in the grounds there (the first and only time I can remember doing so), had far too much cider from the free bar and then made the mistake of boarding a children's carousel. As I said, it was not my finest hour, but better out than in and all that.

Sticking with Quint's Devonian theme, here is action from Newport County v Exeter City on a balmy late winter's day back in March:

DSC01454_zps236ab6ea.jpg

A picture of the Warren House Inn on Dartmoor, one of the most remote pubs in England:

DSC01496_zpsb785f0b6.jpg

On your phone?

I bought an adapter ($10) for my real camera. Today I tried a 135mm lens of the same series (Pentax Super-Takumar) . Not easy to shoot with because everything is manual but it's a lot of fun.

14340753180_49365514d4_c.jpg

Fujifilm X-T1 with Super-Takumar 135mm f/3.5

The second one I really like, it's really quite arresting. The top right of the image almost forms a perfect square within the frame. The first shot imo lacks contrast and suffers from having no particularly strong focal points. When I shoot architecture I won't take the shot if the building/s don't look 'complete' - I won't snip off the roofs for example. However I find you can get away with it if you take the picture from a compelling perspective. My two cents. Thanks for sharing.

Agreed with Quintus, especially re: contrast, which I think both of your shots can benefit from.

If you're going to take black and white photos, you're losing color vibrancy, so you really benefit from higher contrast. Blacks that suck you in and highlights that blind you. You can achieve it in post if you like, or if you're a purist you can do it in camera by metering off the brighter elements in the frame.

That said, I'm enjoying watching your photography chops evolve.

Contrast or blacks? Contrast decreases detail and often makes whites too white. It would be difficult for me to add more contrast to the second one since it's already very contrasty, IMO. With the first one it's no problem because I actually removed shadows (to reveal detail) and only added a little bit of contrast.

Sometimes it's all about the greys!